inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite spooky urban legend?

Written By: STAR70 on 10/28/05 at 5:14 pm

El Chupa Cabras

Subject: Re: Favorite spooky urban legend?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/28/05 at 10:38 pm

The man...........WITH A HOOK FOR A HAND!!!!!!!!

Bahhhhhhh haaaaaaa!!!!! Bahhhhhhhh haaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!

;D

It's my favorte urban legend....... 

Favorite monster........  The Loch Ness Monster.

Written By: whistledog on 10/29/05 at 11:49 am

Gotta be the Loch Ness  :o

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/29/05 at 1:09 pm

Bigfoot is pretty cool too...

Written By: Tia on 10/29/05 at 1:28 pm

i said el chaka fakka whatever, just because i have no idea what it is.

my favorite spooky urban legend was the one about gang members who flash their headlights and then, if you flash yours back, they track you down and kill you as an initiation ritual. i actually had a day or two where i believed that one and whenever someone flashed their headlights at me, i'd be all distrustful and nervous. clever one, that. insidiously clever.

Written By: STAR70 on 10/29/05 at 3:04 pm

i said el chaka fakka whatever, just because i have no idea what it is.

The Chupacabras has been spotted in the southern part of the United States including the desert of southern California.

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/chupacabra-intro.jpg

http://www.crystalinks.com/chupacabras.html

Written By: Dagwood on 10/29/05 at 3:35 pm

The Chupacabras has been spotted in the southern part of the United States including the desert of southern California.

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/chupacabra-intro.jpg

http://www.crystalinks.com/chupacabras.html

Where did you find a picture of my ex-husband?  :o

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/29/05 at 3:39 pm

Where did you find a picture of my ex-husband?  :o

hahahaha..wait, I thought it was MY ex-husband??

could it be?

were we married to the same person?? LOLOLOL!

Erin :)

Written By: STAR70 on 10/29/05 at 3:42 pm

another composite sketch of "you-know-who"
http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/chupacabra-picture.jpg

Written By: Dagwood on 10/29/05 at 4:22 pm

hahahaha..wait, I thought it was MY ex-husband??

could it be?

were we married to the same person?? LOLOLOL!

Wouldn't surprise me.  I had him in 1992, when did you have him? ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/29/05 at 5:19 pm

Love this picture....  ;D

http://www.bellcold.com/SweetShots/loch-ness.jpg

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/29/05 at 9:43 pm

Wouldn't surprise me.  I had him in 1992, when did you have him? ;D

ah well....I met mine is 98, got married in 2000...and divorced in 2002! LOL!

Written By: Dagwood on 10/30/05 at 12:28 am

ah well....I met mine is 98, got married in 2000...and divorced in 2002! LOL!

You got me beat.  Ours lasted 10 months, 7 of which were trying to find the sleazebag to serve him with the dang papers. 

Written By: kellygoo72 on 10/31/05 at 12:22 am

I always loved the Loch Ness but I have always been fascinated with Bigfoot... Remember Legend of Boggy Creek? :o

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/31/05 at 1:06 am

I think you're confusing "cryptozoology" with "urban legend."  An urban legend is more like this one, a favorite of mine.  I choose this one not because it's the most gruesome or intriguing to me, but one I have heard in various tales throughout my life, and a good one for Halloween as it includes the ghostly element:

A dozen miles outside of Baltimore, the main road from New York (Route Number One) is crossed by another important highway. It is a dangerous intersection, and there is talk of building and underpass for the east-west road. To date, however, the plans exist only on paper.
Dr. Eckersall was driving home from a country-club dance late one Saturday night. He slowed up for the intersection, and was surprised to see a lovely young girl, dressed in the sheerest of evening gowns, beckoning him for a lift. He jammed on his brakes, and motioned her to climb into the back seat of his roadster. "All cluttered up with golf clubs and bags up here in front," he explained. "But what on earth is a youngster like you doing out here all alone at this time of night?"

"It's too long a story to tell you now," said the girl. Her voice was sweet and somewhat shrill -- like the tinkling of sleigh bells. "Please, please take me home. I'll explain everything there. The address is ___ North Charles Street. I do hope it's not too far out of your way."

The doctor grunted, and set the car in motion. He drove rapidly to the address she had given him, and as he pulled up before the shuttered house, he said, "Here we are." Then he turned around. The back seat was empty!

"What the devil?" the doctor muttered to himself. The girl couldn't possibly have fallen from the car. Nor could she simply have vanished. He rang insistently on the house bell, confused as he had never been in his life before. At long last the door opened. A gray-haired, very tired-looking man peered out at him.

"I can't tell you what an amazing thing has happened," began the doctor. "A young girl gave me this address a while back. I drove her here and . . ."

"Yes, yes, I know," said the man wearily. "This has happened several other Saturday evenings in the past month. That young girl, sir, was my daughter. She was killed in an automobile accident at that intersection where you saw her almost two years ago . . ."

Thank you snopes.com
http://snopes.com/horrors/ghosts/vanish.asp

A similar hitchhiker one is the one you've all seen recounted in "Pee-wee's Big Adventure."
JUST TELL 'EM "LARGE MARGE" SENTYA!  AHA-HAHAHAH!

http://www.i-mockery.com/minimocks/largemarge/default.php

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/31/05 at 1:18 am

The man...........WITH A HOOK FOR A HAND!!!!!!!!

Bahhhhhhh haaaaaaa!!!!! Bahhhhhhhh haaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!

Classic campfire fare.  A good telling of the "hook for a hand" appears in Meatballs (1979) by Bill Murray's character, camp counselor Tripper Harrison. I can't recite the story from the script, plus you need visuals for the startle effect at the end!
Basically, there was a lunatic asylum called "Two Pines" up there in the woods near Camp Northstar. And one night, a night just like this one, the sickest lunatic of all, a psycho-killer with a hook for a hand, escaped.  He was the most dangerous patient ever to escape from Two Pines.  And he ran from the asylum attendants, and he came upon a campfire with some kids camping out, just like this one, and...
Well, you know...they never caught him and some say he may be wandering these woods on this very night!
:o

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/31/05 at 11:52 am

Champ-which is basically Nessie without the Scottish accent.  ;D ;D  Champ is supposed to inhabit Lake Champlain.

Cat

Written By: Tia on 10/31/05 at 11:57 am

I think you're confusing "cryptozoology" with "urban legend."  An urban legend is more like this one, a favorite of mine.  I choose this one not because it's the most gruesome or intriguing to me, but one I have heard in various tales throughout my life, and a good one for Halloween as it includes the ghostly element:

A dozen miles outside of Baltimore, the main road from New York (Route Number One) is crossed by another important highway. It is a dangerous intersection, and there is talk of building and underpass for the east-west road. To date, however, the plans exist only on paper.
Dr. Eckersall was driving home from a country-club dance late one Saturday night. He slowed up for the intersection, and was surprised to see a lovely young girl, dressed in the sheerest of evening gowns, beckoning him for a lift. He jammed on his brakes, and motioned her to climb into the back seat of his roadster. "All cluttered up with golf clubs and bags up here in front," he explained. "But what on earth is a youngster like you doing out here all alone at this time of night?"

"It's too long a story to tell you now," said the girl. Her voice was sweet and somewhat shrill -- like the tinkling of sleigh bells. "Please, please take me home. I'll explain everything there. The address is ___ North Charles Street. I do hope it's not too far out of your way."

The doctor grunted, and set the car in motion. He drove rapidly to the address she had given him, and as he pulled up before the shuttered house, he said, "Here we are." Then he turned around. The back seat was empty!

"What the devil?" the doctor muttered to himself. The girl couldn't possibly have fallen from the car. Nor could she simply have vanished. He rang insistently on the house bell, confused as he had never been in his life before. At long last the door opened. A gray-haired, very tired-looking man peered out at him.

"I can't tell you what an amazing thing has happened," began the doctor. "A young girl gave me this address a while back. I drove her here and . . ."

"Yes, yes, I know," said the man wearily. "This has happened several other Saturday evenings in the past month. That young girl, sir, was my daughter. She was killed in an automobile accident at that intersection where you saw her almost two years ago . . ."

Thank you snopes.com
http://snopes.com/horrors/ghosts/vanish.asp

A similar hitchhiker one is the one you've all seen recounted in "Pee-wee's Big Adventure."
JUST TELL 'EM "LARGE MARGE" SENTYA!  AHA-HAHAHAH!

http://www.i-mockery.com/minimocks/largemarge/default.php

oo!! this one gave me chills. literally! love it!

good point with the cryptozoology... i suppose that's a subset of urban legend.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/31/05 at 12:39 pm

I love this picture!!!  ;D

http://photos.yafro.com/pics3/i/20051031/10/5/7/5/575614e7105574eb36cffc29cd489a98200510310_full.gif

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/31/05 at 8:18 pm

I love this picture!!!  ;D

http://photos.yafro.com/pics3/i/20051031/10/5/7/5/575614e7105574eb36cffc29cd489a98200510310_full.gif

that used to freak the heck outta me when I was younger!! :o

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/31/05 at 8:50 pm

oo!! this one gave me chills. literally! love it!

good point with the cryptozoology... i suppose that's a subset of urban legend.

Or just straight out "legend."
I recommend the entire "horrors" section from the snopes.com page.  But take it in small doses unless you enjoy a major case of the creepies. When I discovered that snopes "horrors" page I sat up into the wee hours reading the whole thing...then my head got so full of spooky and twisted thoughts, I was too chicken to do anything else...except keep reading.
:o :P

Here's another one of my favorites: Bloody Mary.  My sister and my cousin used to scare themselves silly doing this.

If you go into the bathroom and look into the mirror with the lights off and the room completely black, and then say 'Bloody Mary' thirteen times, a woman will appear and scratch your face up/off.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was told that if you said "Hell Mary" seven times in front of a mirror in a dark room, you would see Satan's image in the mirror. The story was embellished further by the teller, who claimed that after three "Hell Mary", the mirror turned red, and that after five an unclear face appeared.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's how I always heard the story. You go into a room with a mirror and turn all the lights off (this works well in a bathroom). You begin, in a whisper, to chant "bloody mary. bloody mary, Bloody Mary", as you continue to chant your voice should grow louder and louder into a near scream. While you are chanting you should be spinning around at a medium rate and taking a glimpse in the mirror at each pass. Near the 13th repetition of the words . . . "she" should appear and...?

A frend of mine said that her roommate tried this and ran out screaming from the bathroom. She was shaking and appeared genuinely terrified and refused to talk about the incident, but those who were around her when she came out noticed that her clenched fingers were covered in blood.

It's well worth linking to http://snopes.com/horrors/ghosts/bloodymary.asp to read the details. 

Another thing my sister picked up at school when she was about ten was the urban legend that if you stare into a mirror in a completely dark room, the face you will see is the face you will have when you are very old and about to die.  Variations on this myth instruct the use of a flashlight illuminating your face from below your chin.
In either case, the absence, or alteration, of light makes the face appear skull-like, sunken, or grotesque.
Silly isn't it?  Of course...BUT, and this is a big BUT, never underestimate the power of suggestion!

It's like that silly Ouija board game, another favorite scare-yourself-crazy pastime of the same sister and cousin. Total BS, spiritually speaking, but if you believe, my friends, if you believe...

Written By: Suicidal Blonde on 11/04/05 at 3:56 pm

El Chupa Cabras ;D

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/04/05 at 5:44 pm

Mama Leeds' 13th child, better known as the Jersey Devil!

And I don't think that it's just coincidence that there is a popular monster truck named Bigfoot.

Written By: Echo Nomad on 05/20/06 at 11:38 pm

I love this picture!!!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 05/21/06 at 1:13 am

Bigfoot

Written By: Tanya1976 on 05/21/06 at 1:14 am

I love this picture!!!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/21/06 at 3:12 am

YEAH, BUT THIS REALLY HAPPENED--SEVERAL TIMES!
http://snopes.com/horrors/gruesome/bodybed.htm

SPOOKY FOR KIDS WHO BELIEVE THIS JUNK:
Remember how when you were a kid, grownups would tell you things to scare you out of bad behavior? Sometimes they would tell a lie to discourage you from doing something that just wasn't a very good idea. Sometimes they would lie because they just didn't want you to do something.

1. Pen ink can kill you. My mother often told a story about her elementary school art teacher who discouraged the kids from inking up their skin by saying forbodingly: "I had a student years ago who drew all over himself with a fountain pen and he died!"

Logical question not asked: "I drip ink on my hands by accident, why don't I get terribly ill?"

2. My friend Kyle's mom was fond of the gum-on-lungs canard. "If you swallow chewing gum, it sticks to your lungs for seven years." The plausibility of this relies on children having not one iota of anatomical education.
Logical question not asked: "If food gets in my lungs, why don't I drown when I drink a glass of water?"
Variation on 2. It takes chewing gum seven years to through your system.
Why seven years? Why not four years or eight years? Probably because the number seven is loaded with heavy connotations of its own.

3. This one has gone by the wayside, thank God, but it really did make the rounds in generations past: "If you do that, you'll go blind!"
Logical rejoinder that killed the myth: "Can't I just do it until I need glasses?"
Variations on 3: You'll grow hair on your hands, you'll render yourself sterile, you'll render yourself impotent when you get the chance for the real thing, and of course, you'll make Baby Jesus cry.

4. If you make that face, it'll freeze like that!
Did anybody ever believe this one?

5. You must wait sixty minutes after eating before you can go swimming. If you don't you'll get stomach cramps and drown.
Logical questions not asked: Why would a popsicle have the same time limit as a bowl of Texas chili?  So if I take the plunge at 59:30, it's to the Davey Jones locker for me?

Uhhh...can't think of any others at the moment, but they're out there!

OTHER URBAN LEGEND STILL MAKING THE ROUNDS, AND BELIEVED BY THOUSANDS OF INTELLIGENT ADULTS, ONE OF WHOM WAS MY FRIEND, LESLIE, A VEGETARIAN CHEF AND NUTRITIONIST. I SAY, FOR CHRISSAKES, WHY DOES ANYBODY WITH HALF A BRAIN BELIEVE THIS KOOKY TALE?

Kentucky Fried Chicken had to change their name to KFC because the meat they serve comes from a genitically modified chickens so mutated they are not really chickens any more. Snopes summarizes the obvious bullsh!t here....in case you haven't figured it out already!
http://snopes.com/horrors/food/kfc.asp

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 05/21/06 at 7:30 pm

As a child, I had an irrational fear of the Sasquatch!  :D

Written By: Apricot on 05/21/06 at 8:00 pm

My favorite is the one with the woman and the blind man.. it comes from Russia..

A woman walks down the street and runs into a blind man. She apologizes, and the man asks her to deliver a package to an address he writes on the box. She agrees. She's walking down the street and looks back and sees him sprinting away. Suspecting something, she goes to the police. When they arrive at the address, they find several rooms with recently deceased and mutilated human bodies, and human meat wrapped in paper in freezers in the basement. The package she was delivering contained nothing but a note saying "This will be the last one I send you today. I'll stop by for the money later. Treat her like the rest."

Written By: Apricot on 05/21/06 at 8:00 pm

My favorite is the one with the woman and the blind man.. it comes from Russia..

A woman walks down the street and runs into a blind man. She apologizes, and the man asks her to deliver a package to an address he writes on the box. She agrees. She's walking down the street and looks back and sees him sprinting away. Suspecting something, she goes to the police. When they arrive at the address, they find several rooms with recently deceased and mutilated human bodies, and human meat wrapped in paper in freezers in the basement. The package she was delivering contained nothing but a note saying "This will be the last one I send you today. I'll stop by for the money later. Treat her like the rest."

I guess it's not a monster, but it IS an urban legend.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/22/06 at 12:41 am

I guess it's not a monster, but it IS an urban legend.

Weeeellll, you know, RUSSIA, I wouldn't rule it out!

That reminds me of a scene from "The Junky's Christmas" by William S. Burroughs. This is not an urban legend, just one the many grisly scenes in the surreal doped-out world of Burroughs:

Our anti-hero, Danny-the Car-wiper is broke and junk-sick on xmas day, looking for something to steal and pawn for a a fix:

I gotta score somehow. If I had some decent clothes...

Danny saw a suitcase standing in a doorway. Good leather. He stopped and pretended to look for a cigarette.

Funny, he thought. No one around. Inside maybe, phoning for a cab.

The corner was only a few houses. Danny took a deep breath and picked up the suitcase. He made the corner. Another block, another corner. The case was heavy.

I got a score here all night, he thought. Maybe enough for a sixteenth and a room. Danny shivered and twitched, feeling a warm room and heroin emptying into his vein. Let's have a quick look.

He opened the suitcase. Two long packages in brown wrapping paper. He took one out. It felt like meat. He tore the package open at one end, revealing a woman's naked foot. The toenails were painted with purple-red polish. He dropped the leg with a sneer of disgust.

"Holy Jesus!" he exclaimed. "The routines people put down these days. Legs! Well I got a case anyway." He dumped the other leg out. No bloodstains. He snapped the case shut and walked away.

"Legs!" he muttered.

I always inferred this to be an illustration of the junky's need for a fix overriding even the most disgusting things imaginable. Anyway...

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/22/06 at 2:17 am

I don't know if this counts, but my friends always said that if you stood in a dark room with a mirror and spun around saying "Bloody Mary" 5 times, and then looked in the mirror, you'd see her standing behind you.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/22/06 at 6:12 am

I don't know if this counts, but my friends always said that if you stood in a dark room with a mirror and spun around saying "Bloody Mary" 5 times, and then looked in the mirror, you'd see her standing behind you.

Lol, the things kids think of... ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/22/06 at 7:39 am

Loch Ness Monster, since learning that the famous image/photo from the 30s, was first published on 1st April.

Written By: Gis on 05/22/06 at 7:41 am

Weeeellll, you know, RUSSIA, I wouldn't rule it out!

That reminds me of a scene from "The Junky's Christmas" by William S. Burroughs. This is not an urban legend, just one the many grisly scenes in the surreal doped-out world of Burroughs:

Our anti-here, Danny-the Car-wiper is broke and junk-sick on xmas day, looking for something to steal and pawn for a a fix:

I gotta score somehow. If I had some decent clothes...

Danny saw a suitcase standing in a doorway. Good leather. He stopped and pretended to look for a cigarette.

Funny, he thought. No one around. Inside maybe, phoning for a cab.

The corner was only a few houses. Danny took a deep breath and picked up the suitcase. He made the corner. Another block, another corner. The case was heavy.

I got a score here all night, he thought. Maybe enough for a sixteenth and a room. Danny shivered and twitched, feeling a warm room and heroin emptying into his vein. Let's have a quick look.

He opened the suitcase. Two long packages in brown wrapping paper. He took one out. It felt like meat. He tore the package open at one end, revealing a woman's naked foot. The toenails were painted with purple-red polish. He dropped the leg with a sneer of disgust.

"Holy Jesus!" he exclaimed. "The routines people put down these days. Legs! Well I got a case anyway." He dumped the other leg out. No bloodstains. He snapped the case shut and walked away.

"Legs!" he muttered.

I always inferred this to be an illustration of the junky's need for a fix overriding even the most disgusting things imaginable. Anyway...
Now this reminds me of a true story ! There was a woman in London who was dog sitting for her friend's elderly pooch whist her friend was on holiday. She took the dog for a walk in hyde park and halfway round the dog dropped dead.As she had come out with the dog on the underground she felt she couldn't go back home on it carrying a dead dog! So she hid the dog in some bushes and went home to collect a box big enough to put the dog in to carry it home. In the end she found a suitcase, went back for the dog and carried it in the suitcase to the underground.She was struggling up the steps with the case when a man asked her if he could help.He took the case from her and started up off with it, getting faster and faster until he was running and had disappeared from view. So when her friend came home from holiday she had the unhappy task of telling her that not only had her dog died but he had been stolen as well !   

Written By: Echo Nomad on 05/22/06 at 5:42 pm

Lol, the things kids think of... ::)

I heard that she came out of the mirror and attacked you (the person doing it).

Written By: Apricot on 05/22/06 at 7:43 pm

I do that to my little cousins to scare them. ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/23/06 at 12:22 am

Now this reminds me of a true story ! There was a woman in London who was dog sitting for her friend's elderly pooch whist her friend was on holiday. She took the dog for a walk in hyde park and halfway round the dog dropped dead.As she had come out with the dog on the underground she felt she couldn't go back home on it carrying a dead dog! So she hid the dog in some bushes and went home to collect a box big enough to put the dog in to carry it home. In the end she found a suitcase, went back for the dog and carried it in the suitcase to the underground.She was struggling up the steps with the case when a man asked her if he could help.He took the case from her and started up off with it, getting faster and faster until he was running and had disappeared from view. So when her friend came home from holiday she had the unhappy task of telling her that not only had her dog died but he had been stolen as well !   

:D
How do you explain that in the police report?
"Constable, my suitcase was just stolen."
"Did the suitcase contain anything of value?"
"My friend's dead dog."
"I dunno what you been drinking, lady, but I suggest you just go home and sleep it off!"
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/04/dogrun.gif

"Bloody Mary," "Candyman," whatever you want to call it is one of my favorite phenomena employing the power of suggestion. I detailed "Bloody Mary" borrowing copiously from Snopes back on page 2 of this thread. The power of suggestion is how voodoo works.

Written By: STAR70 on 10/25/06 at 5:21 pm

just like a zombie, this thread returns from the dead --for the holiday

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/26/06 at 1:06 am

It's too easy when you've got good old snopes.com at your fingertips.

TRUE:
http://snopes.com/horrors/gruesome/hanging.asp

URBAN LEGEND:
http://snopes.com/horrors/ghosts/amityville.asp
I love the Amityville Horror because the book scared the living daylights out of my sister, and countless others, and then the whole thing turned out to be bogus.  Except for the DeFeo murders, which catalyzed the nonsense, not one part of it turned out to be true!  No supernatural activity.  No delusions of supernatural activity.  No inexplicable phenomena whatsoever.  Just stone bullsh*t!!!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/02/blackbat.gif

Check for new replies or respond here...