inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite Beer?

Written By: STAR70 on 10/29/05 at 3:15 pm

(tie)Samuel Adams Boston lager; Sierra Nevada pale ale

Subject: Re: Favorite Beer?

Written By: alyceclover on 10/29/05 at 3:55 pm

don't like beer...if I have to drink beer I prefer Coors Lite, and usta drink Miller lite in the 80's

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/29/05 at 8:00 pm

Free!

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/31/05 at 4:17 pm

Free beer is good.  My favorite, though, is Guiness or other heavy, dark, meal in a bottle brews, although rum is better.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 10/31/05 at 6:14 pm

My favorite beer (though I rarely drink it, usually sticking with the domestics) would have to be Stanley Smith's Oatmeal Stout.

Written By: McDonald on 10/31/05 at 6:15 pm

The best beer ever is produced in Québec, and it's called "La Fin du Monde" which, for those of you not up on your French, means "The End of the World." It's a yeast beer, best served ice cold in a frosty glass. It's deliciously effervescent. The same company makes a host of other labels, like "Maudite" (eng. "Damned"), and a really refreshing one called "éphémère" which has hints of green apple.

I love the North American microbrews. We make some great beer on this continent, with the exception of most of the big brands. Sam Adams is good, Labatt's Light is acceptable. German beer is another monster altogether. They take brewing seriously over there. That's where you can find true beer snobbery on par with that of wine connaisseurs, and with good reason. Their beer is unmatched by any other country.

I personally prefer beer over most wines and hard liquors. The vomiting and hangover resulting from overconsumption of hard liquor is brutal. The adverse effects of beer overconsumption are much lighter, just in case you hit that point.

I've had Stanley's Oatmeal, and it wasn't bad, but it wasn't my favourite either.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 10/31/05 at 6:26 pm

German beer is another monster altogether. They take brewing seriously over there. That's where you can find true beer snobbery on par with that of wine connaisseurs, and with good reason. Their beer is unmatched by any other country.
Best beer I ever had in my life was Lowenbrau "Festbrau." This was specially made for Oktoberfest, which I made it to in 1991. It's been so long ago that I can't recall exactly how it tasted but I can remember thinking at the time that it was the best beer I ever had.

Written By: ktelqueen on 10/31/05 at 6:28 pm

Molson Canadian and Keith's  8)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/31/05 at 7:48 pm

Sam Adams Boston Lager, ice cold.  Hits the spot!
:)

Written By: karen on 11/01/05 at 9:48 am

Favourite beer is probably a toss up between Everards Tiger and Marston Pedigree of those I regularly drink.  I'm not keen on very heavy beers or stouts

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/01/05 at 6:11 pm

I don't drink beer. I do taste Carlos' beer and after I taste it I realize why I don't drink beer.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/01/05 at 6:40 pm

I don't drink beer. I do taste Carlos' beer and after I taste it I realize why I don't drink beer.

Cat

How about tequila?  I love tequila, but I have to be careful with it because it tends to make me a lil' bit mental, if you know what I'm saying!
:D

Written By: Powerslave on 11/01/05 at 6:53 pm

Heineken.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/01/05 at 7:04 pm

Heineken.

I'm sorry, as a Blue Velvet fanatic, I'm obliged to say:

"Heinekin? F**k that s**t! PABST BLUE RIBBON!"

http://www.thepolecats.net/articles/hv/frankbooth.jpg

Written By: Powerslave on 11/01/05 at 7:07 pm

;D

As an Australian, I'd rather drink anything other than American beer. :)

Written By: McDonald on 11/01/05 at 11:21 pm

;D

As an Australian, I'd rather drink anything other than American beer. :)

The major American brands taste like piss, but Fosters isn't a whole helluva lot better. It's the North American microbrews you need to get your hands on. That's some of the best beer you'll ever taste.

Written By: chiefyamick on 11/02/05 at 1:20 am

Miller Highlife....I'm from Milwaukee, yeah I know it's SAB now, but gotta be true to my roots

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/02/05 at 11:36 am

How about tequila?  I love tequila, but I have to be careful with it because it tends to make me a lil' bit mental, if you know what I'm saying!
:D

Tequila will kill ya.  :D  Naw, not a big tequila fan. I prefer Spumonti, Zima, pina coladas, daqueris, and fuzzy navels.

Cat

Written By: Powerslave on 11/02/05 at 6:01 pm

The major American brands taste like piss, but Fosters isn't a whole helluva lot better. It's the North American microbrews you need to get your hands on. That's some of the best beer you'll ever taste.

I don't drink Fosters either. No Australian does. They had to move it to other countries to get people to buy it. Most Australian beer is horrible as well, except for the microbrewery stuff. Also, Cascade is pretty good. My favourite beers are Heineken, Lowenbrau and Carlsberg.

Written By: jlp937 on 11/02/05 at 10:46 pm

NONE, I would prefer a Gin/tonic!

Written By: gord on 11/03/05 at 5:39 pm

it's molson canadian most of the time :)

Written By: jaytee on 11/03/05 at 5:56 pm

Corona

Written By: Suicidal Blonde on 11/04/05 at 3:52 pm

Corona with a twist of lemon

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 01/24/07 at 8:20 pm

Bump (and possibly move to the food forum?)

It depends on my mood what sorta beer I'd drink. Some days it's light, cheap stuff like Speights (a popular brand brewed down here), slightly more expensive stuff like Heinekin, or very strong dark stuff like Guinness.

The majority of the stuff sold at the supermarket tastes like piss.  :P

Written By: Jessica on 01/24/07 at 9:31 pm

Heineken is okay, but I love the Guinness.

Written By: spaceace on 01/25/07 at 2:15 pm

Corona with lime.  Milk Stout (local brew), Coors Light :)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/25/07 at 2:19 pm

Red Stripe

Written By: lorac61469 on 01/25/07 at 2:23 pm

Red Stripe

Oh, I love Red Stripe.

I also like Blue Moon Wheat Ale and their pumpkin ale (only sold around Thanksgiving and CHristmas).

Written By: philbo on 01/25/07 at 3:00 pm

Favourite beer is probably a toss up between Everards Tiger and Marston Pedigree of those I regularly drink.

Pedigree doesn't seem to travel that well: it's OK round here, but anywhere near Burton it's seriously scrummy.

Favourite beers would have to be Fullers ESB, Theakstons XB, The Dog's Bollocks and Summer Lightning at the Wyndham Arms - all as draught ales, the bottled variety simply doesn't have the same flavour.  Favourite out of a bottle is probably Hobgoblin or Leffe brown.

I'd love to try an American microbrewery beer: the only US beers that make it over here are excessively-fizzy tasteless rubbish (a bit like Fosters, too).  But I've heard a lot of good things about US small breweries, and I'm looking forward to tasting some when I finally get round to visiting that side of the pond :)

Written By: Marian on 01/25/07 at 3:02 pm

I like Heinecken,Sapporo,Asahi,and gordon Beirsch.

Written By: Mushroom on 01/25/07 at 4:09 pm

My 2 favorites are both rather unknown (and hard to find) foreign brews.

My favorite is Orion (pronoinced oh-Re-on, not like the Greek myth Orion).  It is brewed on Okinawa, and is almost impossible to find in the US.  I would drink this frequently when I was in Japan, and had a lot of fun "Introducing" it to the new-bees to the island.  Unlike most beer, it is around 6% alcohol.  We would frequently bring in a 6 pack, then laugh at the "light weights" that got trashed after only 4 or 5 beers.

My other is XX (Dos Equis).  Outside of Mexico and the SW USA, it is little known, because other brews like Tecate and Corona get much more attention.  But I have always prefered XX over those other brews.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 01/25/07 at 4:12 pm

I don't like beer...never have, never will!  :P

Written By: karen on 01/26/07 at 7:55 am

Favourite beers would have to be Fullers ESB, Theakstons XB, The Dog's Bollocks and Summer Lightning at the Wyndham Arms - all as draught ales, the bottled variety simply doesn't have the same flavour. 

I like Theakstons but its not regularly available in my usual pub.  Summer Lightning is another I've had recently.  At the moment though I usually drive to the pub so i tend not to drink at all.  Roll on warmer weather.

Written By: Gis on 01/26/07 at 8:05 am

Newcastle Brown Ale is my beer of choice. I also like London Pride, Theakstons Old Peculiar,most of the Wychwood ales. I'm not a fan of lager which is the kind of beer you get in America..............

Written By: Marian on 01/26/07 at 2:25 pm

It only has about half the alchohol as wine,si it takes more to get sick.

Written By: Dave79 on 01/26/07 at 2:45 pm

Whatevers on sell.

--
Dave.

Written By: philbo on 01/26/07 at 5:30 pm

Newcastle Brown Ale is my beer of choice. I also like London Pride, Theakstons Old Peculiar,most of the Wychwood ales. I'm not a fan of lager which is the kind of beer you get in America..............

Come to think of it, I meant Old Pec rather than XB (not that I don't like XB, but Peculier is nicer); and Dog's Bollocks is a Wychwood beer, IIRC.  But London Pride tastes like watered-down ESB ;)

Written By: Cheetara on 01/29/07 at 12:28 pm

Coronas with lime wedges

Written By: spaceace on 01/29/07 at 1:45 pm

Coronas with lime wedges

OMG!! You are my new friend. :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/29/07 at 1:49 pm

same here...I've tried to drink it before...but it was awful tasting. I'm more of a mixed drink kinda gal! :D

Written By: Davester on 01/29/07 at 1:52 pm

Egh, Corona.  Overrated beer IMO, but if you're buying, I'll drink it...

Written By: spaceace on 01/29/07 at 2:00 pm

Egh, Corona.  Overrated beer IMO, but if you're buying, I'll drink it...

Davester, put the Boone's down!!!! ;D

Written By: Davester on 01/29/07 at 2:09 pm

Davester, put the Boone's down!!!! ;D

A Boone's and a jar of pickled pig's feet...

m-m-m-m-m, m-m-m-m-m-m...  :P

Written By: spaceace on 01/29/07 at 2:34 pm

A Boone's and a jar of pickled pig's feet...

m-m-m-m-m, m-m-m-m-m-m...  :P

In front of the T.V. ;D

Written By: lorac61469 on 01/29/07 at 2:38 pm

This past weekend I had some Sam Adams White Ale.  I liked it a lot.

Written By: Cheetara on 01/29/07 at 6:29 pm

OMG!! You are my new friend. :)

The more ...the merrier... ;D

Written By: malibumike65 on 01/30/07 at 12:11 am

I gotta stick with our local home brew, Alpine, from Moosehead Breweries, who's headquarters are located here in Saint John, NB, Canada. I was a bottle fed kid. lol

Check for new replies or respond here...