inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ashlee Simpson's CD debut at #1...

Written By: woops on 10/29/05 at 6:39 pm

After the whole Milli Vanilli thing broke out in 1989, their fame were over...

After Ashlee Simpson's "acid reflux", she's still famous

Proof that the music industry is nothing but a cesspool with manufactured pop acts and other notalents today  :P

Though I'll admit that I like "Pieces Of Me"  :-X

Subject: Re: Ashlee Simpson's CD debut at #1...

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/29/05 at 6:56 pm

I just don't get it....  ::)

Written By: whistledog on 10/29/05 at 7:51 pm

I was quite surprised her new CD jumped in at #1.  After that whole SNL fiasco, I thought for sure she'd sink right off the charts

The only reason her first CD hit #1 was because she had that MTV Reality show that pretty much chronicled her making it

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/29/05 at 10:25 pm

*coughs* Suckers.... *coughs*  ;D  ::)

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 10/29/05 at 10:47 pm

First Crazy Frog debutes at #1, now this?

Pop music is dead. DEAD!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/29/05 at 11:56 pm

This person needs to GO AWAY!!!! Far, far away!!!!

Erin :)

Written By: whistledog on 10/30/05 at 12:19 am

This person needs to GO AWAY!!!! Far, far away!!!!

That's still not far enough  ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/30/05 at 12:28 am

That's still not far enough  ;D

True...very true indeed! LOL!

Written By: lastofthefamous on 11/01/05 at 6:37 am

i happen to think ashlee simpson is very talented. yeah she screwed up on snl but so what!! she still rocks and is adorable as hell!

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/01/05 at 7:39 am

i happen to think ashlee simpson is very talented. yeah she screwed up on snl but so what!! she still rocks and is adorable as hell!

Well okay, from a guy's perspective she is sort of cute! ;)

On a musical level, it's not bad or anything, but it's average pop that people probably aren't gonna remember in 2015 or 2020. It's fun enough, but just doesn't have that repeat listen quality for me the way alot of 80s and pre-1997 90s stuff does.

I believe the reason many people here have an automatic negative reaction to this is because they're comparing it to the way music was 10 or 20 years ago. I admit I sometimes do this myself - not always intentionally but I do, just because I started listening to music as a kid very early in life. I've heard so much that it's harder for me to get into new stuff as fast. In other words, songs usually have to grow on me for awhile now.

Ya know, now that I bring all this up, I wonder what the 7 year old me (from 1988 or '89) would think of Ashlee Simpson if he came to 2005 in a time machine.

I imagine I would have thought of Ashlee much like how I felt about Debbie Gibson or New Kids On the Block at the time - I didn't LIKE it that much, but it was okay and I didn't hate it either.

Written By: Electric Youth on 11/01/05 at 6:51 pm

Atleast Debbie Gibson didn't try to be somebody she wasn't (ie hair metal, new wave)...

Ashlee, NO musical background whatsoever

Then again. she's also cute, though can't picture her doing theatre like Deborah Gibson

Written By: whistledog on 11/01/05 at 10:04 pm

the only way i'd buy an Ashlee Simpson CD was if the CD sleeve had a picture of her in the nude  ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/01/05 at 10:42 pm

sorry folks....I am all about admitting when I think a girl is attractive....but I do not know what all the hype about her is about....that's all I will say....I am not gonna be mean. ::)

Written By: bbigd04 on 11/02/05 at 12:24 am

She's alright. I liked Pieces of Me from the last album. Boyfriend is not bad, it's catchy and fun, but her voice was better in Pieces of Me. She's pretty attractive. I was watching that night on SNL, it was actually pretty funny lol. Anyways, she wasn't really lip syncing though, it was just a back up track for the chorus, it's not like the entire song was playing from a recording. I bet many other artists use something similar. It is surprising that she is at no.1 though.

Check for new replies or respond here...