inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Post-grunge

Written By: YWN on 11/05/05 at 10:33 am

Do you like post-grunge?  Some people criticize it as being a poppish ripoff of "real grunge", but I really like the sound.  The Foo Fighters are my favorite band and I'm really getting into Nickelback. 

Do you listen to any post-grunge bands?

Subject: Re: Post-grunge

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/05/05 at 5:59 pm

Oddly enough, even though the Foo Fighters' frontman is Dave Grohl (who of course, was Nirvana's drummer before), I never considered them to be remotely grunge-like.

Maybe I'd call them a pop/hard rock variation of alternative? It's more upbeat than grunge. The first song by them I really loved was "Learn to Fly", but most of that album was good, as were earlier hits like "My Hero".

Nickelback is okay. I thought they were a little too dark and depressing at first, but their new song "Photograph" is kinda good. More of a straight rock sound.

I also find it strange that some have classified the Goo Goo Dolls in the same category! They're 100% mainstream pop/rock, at least what I've heard. The modern day equivalent to what Journey was in the 80's (but that's not a bad thing at all!). :)

Written By: Billy Florio on 11/05/05 at 6:52 pm

Do you like post-grunge?  Some people criticize it as being a poppish ripoff of "real grunge", but I really like the sound.  The Foo Fighters are my favorite band and I'm really getting into Nickelback. 

Neo-Grunge is the term I coined for it in various album reviews.  Anyway, the Foo Fighters arent part of that catorgory.  The Foo Fighters were 3rd generation grunge (while bands like Nickelback, Staind and Creed were 4th and 5th).  Plus, the Foo Fighters are more associated with power-pop revival than anything else. 

Anyway, the Neo-Grunge movement (4th and 5th generation) sucks.  It's horrible horrible horrible music. 

The Goo Goo Dolls are currentloy considered adult alternative pop/rock, but for a long time they were 2nd and 3rd generation grunge.  They used to be much harder than they currently are. 

Written By: Apricot on 11/05/05 at 7:06 pm

The Goo Goo Dolls are currentloy considered adult alternative pop/rock, but for a long time they were 2nd and 3rd generation grunge.  They used to be much harder than they currently are. 

I watched, with great sadness, as they lost their testosterone over the years and my friend Jayda began to like them.. any time that happens, you know that the band in question are guys with no testosterone.

Based on what you said, Post-grunge isn't my type of music. If anything, next to Classic Rock, you couldn't be further away from my stuff. I'm avante-pop and Shibuya-Kei... bet you haven't even heard of either of those words.  ;D

Written By: woops on 11/06/05 at 2:02 am

post grunge, emo, gangsta rap, current teen pop, whatever... can't stand it  :P

Written By: TarzSp on 11/06/05 at 8:29 am

Well, can anyone name any Groups/Bands today that are "Grunge Like"?

btw, I love the Foo Fighters  8)

Written By: Icy on 11/06/05 at 2:24 pm

post grunge, emo, gangsta rap, current teen pop, whatever... can't stand it  :P

have you ever even heard any of that music? You sound like you're just naming the stereotypes of pop culture.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 11/06/05 at 2:27 pm

I need to know of more post-grunge bands to know if I like it or not.

Written By: Billy Florio on 11/06/05 at 3:04 pm

Well, can anyone name any Groups/Bands today that are "Grunge Like"?

I need to know of more post-grunge bands to know if I like it or not.

Saliva, Nickelback, Creed, Altered Bridge, 3 days grace, our lady of peace, Staind, Fuel, Default, Puddle of Mudd, Rise Against, Hoobastank, etc etc etc etc......

Written By: Red Ant on 11/06/05 at 3:17 pm

Not really. True grunge is all I listen to in this genre (Alice in Chains, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots, etc).

Audioslave is good (Chris Cornell, formerly of Soundgarden). The last "true" sounding grunge band I really got into was Drain STH, all girl band from Sweeden. "Freaks of Nature" is a hell of a CD.

Saliva, Nickelback, Creed, Altered Bridge, 3 days grace, our lady of peace, Staind, Fuel, Default, Puddle of Mudd, Rise Against, Hoobastank, etc etc etc etc......

Creed? as in Scott Stapp Creed? Funny, I never considered them grunge/alternative at all.

What categories would you all put KoRn, Faith No More, Tool, and Red Hot Chili Peppers in?

Written By: woops on 11/06/05 at 5:28 pm

have you ever even heard any of that music? You sound like you're just naming the stereotypes of pop culture.

I've heard them and never appeal to me...even for a 21 year old

Written By: woops on 11/06/05 at 5:30 pm

BTW, I usually use the term "alternative" or "alternative rock"

And I'm more into "neo new wave", ie The Sounds, Franz Fernidand, and The Killers.

Written By: TarzSp on 11/06/05 at 7:03 pm

I found a list of "Post-Grunge" Bands, here are the Bands listed

* 3 Doors Down
    * Audioslave
    * Better Than Ezra
    * Bush
    * Cake
    * Candlebox
    * Cold
    * Collective Soul
    * Creed
    * Days of the New
    * Dishwalla
    * Eve 6
    * Everclear
    * Foo Fighters
    * Fuel
    * Future Leaders of the World
    * Godsmack
    * Goo Goo Dolls
    * I Mother Earth
    * Lit
    * Live
    * Local H
    * Marcy Playground
    * Nickelback
    * Oleander
    * Our Lady Peace
    * Puddle of Mudd
    * Silverchair
    * Staind
    * Tantric
    * The Bearon Von's
    * The Flys
    * The Vines
    * Thornley
    * Toadies
    * Tonic
    * Travis
    * Weezer

Written By: Apricot on 11/06/05 at 8:48 pm

Looking at TarzSP's list.. yeah, that's not a genre I like much. A few good bands there, but not many.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 11/06/05 at 8:55 pm

From the ones I know:
    * 3 Doors Down Like 2 songs from them
    * Audioslave Like them, if only for Chris Cornell (Soundgarden)
    * Better Than Ezra Only like 2 songs from them
    * Bush Don't like
    * Cake Only like 1 song from them
    * Cold Don't like
    * Collective Soul Like them
    * Creed Can't stand them
    * Eve 6 Like 1 song from them, and it's not a typical Eve 6 sounding song
    * Everclear Like them
    * Foo Fighters Like them
    * Godsmack Can't stand them
    * Goo Goo Dolls Only like 2 or 3 songs from them
    * Lit Only like 2 or 3 songs from them
    * Live Only like a few songs from them
    * Marcy Playground Only like 2 or 3 songs from them
    * Nickelback Can't stand them
    * Oleander Can't stand them
    * Our Lady Peace Only like a few songs from them
    * Silverchair Only like 2 or 3 songs from them
    * Staind Can't stand them
    * The Vines Can't stand them
    * Weezer Only like 2 or 3 songs from them

...So not really a genre I'm into, but can't say I hate it either.

Written By: woops on 11/07/05 at 12:43 am

Also not much into it since I also only like a few...

* 3 Doors Down   :P
    * Audioslave Like them, if only for Chris Cornell (Soundgarden) ditto
    * Better Than Ezra Only "Good"
    * Bush   :P
    * Cake Only like two songs, "Never There" & "The Distance"
    * Creed  :P
    * Eve 6 "Inside Out", the only song I can tolerate
    * Everclear They're OK, though most of their songs sound a like
    * Foo Fighters Like a couple of their songs, "I Get Around", "Big Me", "Everlong"
    * Godsmack   :P
    * Goo Goo Dolls See Everclear, though I don't rememberl any of their songs
    * Live Only a few songs, they're OK
    * Marcy Playground  only "Sex & Candy"
    * Nickelback Can't stand them ditto
    * Oleander Can't stand them ditto
    * Silverchair Only "Tomorrow" and disliked them when they became Hanson  ::)...which I thought were the same people
    * Staind Can't stand them ditto
    * The Vines Can't stand them ditto
    * Weezer  they're OK, I like a couple of their hits, "Undone (The Sweater Song)", "Buddy Holly" , "Keep Fishin"

Written By: TarzSp on 11/07/05 at 12:56 am

Wow, I'm surprised that not so many people like "Bush"

I think they are awesome, i'm amazed that i'm the only one here who seems to like them  :P

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 11/07/05 at 1:59 am

Wow, I'm surprised that not so many people like "Bush"

I think they are awesome, i'm amazed that i'm the only one here who seems to like them  :P
Maybe it's just their radio songs (or their name...  ::))... I dunno, I just don't really think much of them.  :-\\

Written By: McDonald on 11/07/05 at 11:33 am

Anyway, the Neo-Grunge movement (4th and 5th generation) sucks.  It's horrible horrible horrible music.  

I totally, 100% agree with you. It is awful. I want it to go somewhere and die.

Nickleback, Default, Creed, etc... complete wastes of perfectly good blank CDs, and perfectly good air time.

Written By: McDonald on 11/07/05 at 11:38 am

I wouldn't lot Our Lady Peace with the 4th and 5th gens, though I could be wrong. They have been around for quite a long time, like since the early to mid nineties, and they've had some acceptable music. The one that sticks out in my head is their remake of the Beatles' "Tomorrow Never Knows," which waas the song used at the beginning of "The Craft" for the opening credits. As for their later stuff, I can't vouche for it.

Written By: Billy Florio on 11/07/05 at 9:08 pm

Creed? as in Scott Stapp Creed? Funny, I never considered them grunge/alternative at all.

they are very neo-grunge.  That's where the genre has gone to...the music is nowhere like what it was originally.  Think Black Sabbath metal as compared to Bon Jovi "metal"

What categories would you all put KoRn, Faith No More, Tool, and Red Hot Chili Peppers in?

korn: Nu-metal, speed metal
Faith no more: one could call them first generation grunge, but I like college rock/modern rock better...but those are general terms.  hmm..rap rock is another choice...alternative....yeah, alternative sounds best
Tool: Progressive metal....absolutly
RHCP: theyve straddled funk rock, college rock, alternative, pop, rap rock and even grunge to a small extent. 

Written By: Billy Florio on 11/07/05 at 9:17 pm

I disagree with classifying most of these bands here:

* 3 Doors Down modern southern rock and mainstream pop/rock
    * Audioslave yeah, they are neo-grunge...I like them though..surprisingly...also slightly metalish
    * Better Than Ezra hmm..I always called them pop rock
    * Bush 3rd generation grunge
    * Cake indie rock/pop, alternative...at best 3rd generation grunge
    * Candlebox 3rd generation grunge
    * Cold wow, I cant think of a song by them, but I do know them
    * Collective Soul um..like 2nd generation grunge...theyve been around forever
    * Creed oh yes
    * Days of the New who?
    * Dishwalla hmmm...yeah, I guess theyre neo-grunge...4th generation
    * Eve 6 no way...mainstream pop/rock
    * Everclear mainstream pop/rock
    * Foo Fighters 3rd generation grunge, but mostly power pop
    * Fuel oh yes
    * Future Leaders of the World who?
    * Godsmack nu-metal
    * Goo Goo Dolls 2nd and 3rd generation grunge and now mainstream pop/rock
    * I Mother Earth cant place them
    * Lit yes
    * Live no...3rd generation grunge...and mainstream rock
    * Local H who?
    * Marcy Playground mainstream rock, and before that, alternative rock
    * Nickelback yes
    * Oleander who?
    * Our Lady Peace yes
    * Puddle of Mudd yes, but strangly enough, theyre more catchy than the others...they have some pop value too
    * Silverchair 4th generation grunge
    * Staind yes
    * Tantric cant place them
    * The Bearon Von's who?
    * The Flys cant place them
    * The Vines no...theyve been a number of things, but not grunge...crap is a good term for them though....mostly pseudo indie rock, classic rock revilalists, garage rock, etc
    * Thornley who?
    * Toadies familiar, dont know
    * Tonic 4th generation, so yes
    * Travis no way...boring radiohead-lite stuff
    * Weezer no no no no no!!!!!!!  Power pop almost completely.  Pinkerton straddled indie rock...hell, ive even heard emo as a definition for them (even though they were pre-what-we-call-emo), but grunge is completely wrong

where the hell did you find this list?

Written By: Billy Florio on 11/07/05 at 9:19 pm

I wouldn't lot Our Lady Peace with the 4th and 5th gens, though I could be wrong. They have been around for quite a long time, like since the early to mid nineties, and they've had some acceptable music. The one that sticks out in my head is their remake of the Beatles' "Tomorrow Never Knows," which waas the song used at the beginning of "The Craft" for the opening credits. As for their later stuff, I can't vouche for it.

ha, Ive never heard of them before their stuff got played on vh1 like 4 years ago...Ill have to go see if I can find stuff from their early days.

Written By: Billy Florio on 11/07/05 at 9:20 pm

I totally, 100% agree with you. It is awful. I want it to go somewhere and die.

Nickleback, Default, Creed, etc... complete wastes of perfectly good blank CDs, and perfectly good air time.

haha...McDonald, we may have found the only thing we agree on lol

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/07/05 at 10:57 pm

Post-grunge?  Pleeeeease noooooo!!!! Just go away, go away, go away, go away!!!!
:(

Written By: McDonald on 11/08/05 at 10:45 am

I'm happy enough with Grunge proper. Alice in Chains. Nirvana. A little Pearl Jam. These I can live with.

Written By: gibster on 11/08/05 at 11:10 am

I just like Chevelle.  (which I noticed was not on the list.)

The Buzzhorn is really good too.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/08/05 at 11:17 am

These are the only bands I like. Though they each have only about a handful of songs I actually liked.
Better Than Ezra..."Good"
Bush...I like more than a few of their songs.
Cake...their cover of I Will Survive and
Candlebox...."Far Behind"
Collective Soul..."Shine" and "Run"
Everclear..."Father of Mine", "AM Radio" and "I Will Buy You a New Life"
Foo Fighters..."My Hero" and "Learn to Fly"
Goo Goo Dolls..."Iris", "Slide", and "Name"
Lit...."Miserable" and "My Own Worst Enemy"
Live.."I Alone"
Marcy Playground..."Sex and Candy"
Weezer..."Beverly Hills", "Sweater" and "Buddy Holly"

Written By: McDonald on 11/08/05 at 12:03 pm

Weezer..."Beverly Hills", "Sweater" and "Buddy Holly"

Generally, I love Weezer. I have not liked their last two albums, but the three previous to those were great. The Blue Album is an alternative masterpiece, especially the re-released edition with extra songs like "Suzanne," and "Jamie." Best American, non-grunge alternative album of the 90's, and the magnum opus of the Nerd-Rock scene. The Green Album was pretty good as well.

I liked "Keep Fishin" off of Maladroit, but this last album of theirs with "Beverly Hills" and "We Are All on Drugs" is for the dogs. I'm terribly disappointed in them.

They will never recapture what they had with the Blue Album, because it came from a time, a place, and a scene which will never be replicated. However, every song is still relevent in my opinion and in my life, and in those of many others.

Written By: whistledog on 11/08/05 at 12:06 pm

Because I am Canadian, I should like Nickelback and Our Lady Peace, but I don't  :(  I am glad they are big successes though :)

Written By: McDonald on 11/08/05 at 12:10 pm

Because I am Canadian, I should like Nickelback and Our Lady Peace, but I don't  :(  I am glad they are big successes though :)

A common nationality isn't a good reason to like a band, so don't feel bad. I am an American AND a Canadian citizen, and I dislike 90% of the music coming from either country. I accept the rule of 10%, which says that of all art produced in a given time, 90% will be uncreative hackery, while only 10% will be worthy of any praise. The percentage goes up and down, but I'd say it's a good rule of thumb.

Written By: Apricot on 11/08/05 at 5:40 pm

I actually downloaded the Marcy Playground CD.. I think it was self-titled.. it's pretty cool.

Written By: lastofthefamous on 11/10/05 at 6:43 am

yes i agree.. and i love emo. all the kids at school label me emo so i like the music!

Written By: Criz on 11/10/05 at 11:32 am

BTW, I usually use the term "alternative" or "alternative rock"

And I'm more into "neo new wave", ie The Sounds, Franz Fernidand, and The Killers.

Me too. And I hate all that emo stuff too. I don't even know one person who can give me a concise definition of 'emo' - and to me, that's saying something.

I'm not into the post-grunge thing. However, a quarter of those bands I would never put under that category! Travis?? I don't think so!! Next thing we're gonna hear is that Coldplay are Post-grunge!!!

Give me good indie music, new wave, neo-new wave or some classic 80s any day. You can't totally discard pop either, because there are always some good pop songs out there :)

Written By: Kenlos on 11/10/05 at 12:46 pm

Everclear really isnt post-grunge.  They have been around since 1993 but didn't really start to become mainstream until 1994-95 with songs like "Santa Monica".  If you remember correctly a lot of the media were tabing them as the next Nirvana, though this was mostly based off their first two CDs "World of Noise" (1993), and "Sparkle and Fade" (1995) which were more grunge than their more recent CDs which have been more general rock.

Written By: TarzSp on 11/10/05 at 4:06 pm

Would anyone here agree that "Audioslave" is probably the closest there is to Grunge today?

Maybe because the Lead Singer was also the Lead Singer of "Soundgarden", which was arguably the most popular grunge band other than Nirvana back in the early 90's

Written By: McDonald on 11/10/05 at 8:57 pm

Would anyone here agree that "Audioslave" is probably the closest there is to Grunge today?

Maybe because the Lead Singer was also the Lead Singer of "Soundgarden", which was arguably the most popular grunge band other than Nirvana back in the early 90's

I would not agree with the last statement. Pearl Jam was definitely the most successful behind Nirvana, probably followed by Alice in Chains and Soundgarden.

I think grunge is dead and has been for a long time, it's just that these moronic producers keep trying to hang onto to it, but all they're really doing is commissioning terrible music. Audioslave sucks, IMHO. I miss Rage.

Written By: Apricot on 11/10/05 at 10:15 pm

Me too. And I hate all that emo stuff too. I don't even know one person who can give me a concise definition of 'emo' - and to me, that's saying something.

Sigh... EMO:

1. a style of music. Essentially, punk pop, but very lite and acoustic. Often deals directly with the singer (often a male with very little masculinity) in question's feelings, or love.
2. Exaggerating one's normal problems as more intense then anyone else, making yourself seem as if you've suffered more then anyone. Creating an "artistic" image.

Written By: Criz on 11/11/05 at 4:13 am

Sigh... EMO:

1. a style of music. Essentially, punk pop, but very lite and acoustic. Often deals directly with the singer (often a male with very little masculinity) in question's feelings, or love.
2. Exaggerating one's normal problems as more intense then anyone else, making yourself seem as if you've suffered more then anyone. Creating an "artistic" image.

Finally, a definition!!! And still I don't understand?? Light and acoustic pop??

Just give me some good lyrics alongside some good music and I'm there...and that's why I love Indie music.

Check for new replies or respond here...