inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Who watches 'Fox News' ? Anybody seen the documentary 'Outfoxed' ???

Written By: Criz on 11/10/05 at 10:52 am

I was just wondering if any of you have ever seen the documenatry 'OUTFOXED'?

Living in England and not being a consumer of the Fox brand, I couldn't believe what I was watching. I always new that Murdoch's news channel was bad, but I never knew HOW bad until I watched it.

I could not believe how much propaganda and personal opinion apeared in their content. I also couldn't belive how Ronald Regans birthday could be a top headline - yet Murdoch made the reporters cover it, even though there wasn't even a story. All because Regan is his hero.

Obviously, the docu is biased into showing one opinion, but they can hardly make all of that stuff up, can they? And the amount of ex-employees they got to talk in the show (who by the way were all discrediting the  channel) much also vouch for something.

Have any of you seen it, or hate/love fox news? Opinion please...

Subject: Re: Who watches 'Fox News' ? Anybody seen the documentary 'Outfoxed' ???

Written By: Tia on 11/10/05 at 11:21 am

Living in England and not being a consumer of the Fox brand, I couldn't believe what I was watching. I always new that Murdoch's news channel was bad, but I never knew HOW bad until I watched it.

I could not believe how much propaganda and personal opinion apeared in their content. I also couldn't belive how Ronald Regans birthday could be a top headline - yet Murdoch made the reporters cover it, even though there wasn't even a story. All because Regan is his hero.

Obviously, the docu is biased into showing one opinion, but they can hardly make all of that stuff up, can they? And the amount of ex-employees they got to talk in the show (who by the way were all discrediting the  channel) much also vouch for something.

Have any of you seen it, or hate/love fox news? Opinion please...

i've got outfoxed at home. i think it's great. of course they've got their agenda too, but still, i thought it was illuminating.

it was funny, i was listening to NPR the other day and the housemate sez, "so what's "marxist radio" have to say about the riots in france? and i'm all, marxist radio? i'm listening to NPR. you're thinking of democracy now. he's all, naw, that's stalinist radio. i say, okay, does this mean i get to call foxnews "hitler television" now? and a good laugh was had by all.

i HATE foxnews. it's so obvious. you can tell someone's gotten a toxic dose of foxnews when they say something like, "john kerry looks french." any resemblance between foxnews and actual information is purely coincidental.

Subject: Re: Who watches 'Fox News' ? Anybody seen the documentary 'Outfoxed' ???

Written By: Criz on 11/10/05 at 11:25 am

any resemblance between foxnews and actual information is purely coincidental.

I just want to know how they get away with claiming they're 'Fair & Balanced' ??? ??

I actually thought that British news was bad enough - and British news is supposed to be as objective as possible. Our press is the only thing allowed to have left or right bias.

I was just so shocked that they were allowed to get away with so much. I wonder how much people actually believe in what fox news tells them.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/10/05 at 11:31 am

I just want to know how they get away with claiming they're 'Fair & Balanced' ????

That is the question of the century.

Yes, I have seen the film. Some very interesting stuff. I don't usually watch Fox but lately, we will turn it on just to see their spin on things-down playing the Libby indictment.  Bill O'Rielly cracked us up when he was saying how sorry he felt for the guy. Another thing I noticed about Fox-the claim to be "the most POWERFUL name in news" while CNN claims to be "the most TRUSTED name in news". Which would you like to have, the most "powerful" or the most "trusted"? 

Cat

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/10/05 at 12:28 pm

Yes, I too have seen Outfoxed, and while certainly one point of view, they didn't make it up.  As Cat says, we tune in on occasion just to see what the little fascists are saying.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/10/05 at 6:38 pm

I've seen "Outfoxed," but I had no need to.  I've watched enough FOX News to see "Outfoxed" in the making.  It's all quite transparant.  FNC is not for individuals with brains that have matured to adulthood.  It's for people witht the mentality of three year olds who will believe everything mommy and daddy tell them!
:D

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 11/10/05 at 6:42 pm

They play faux news overnight and right about the time it comes on, Outfoxed is usually on.  ;D

It's funny in a very depressing sort of way.  ::) :-\\

Written By: McDonald on 11/10/05 at 8:59 pm

Seen it. Lived it.

The film is better than most, worse than some.

Written By: Criz on 11/13/05 at 6:22 am

So what sort of media regulation do you have in the States? I just don't undertsnad how fox news can get away with some of the things it says!!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/13/05 at 5:41 pm

So what sort of media regulation do you have in the States? I just don't undertsnad how fox news can get away with some of the things it says!!
Not very much in America because of something called the First Amendment. Which gives Fox(aka FAKE) News license to say any kind of dumba** Republican-spun platitudes....Don't forget that America gave the world Rush(aka El Rushbo)Limbaugh and that skanky Ann Coulter!

Written By: Criz on 12/21/05 at 5:51 am

Is there a website that would tell me exactly what sort of media regulation, espeicially televsion news regulation that exists in the States?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/21/05 at 7:19 am

Most of the newscasters on Fox News are Bush's puppets anyway......  ::)

Written By: Criz on 12/21/05 at 1:32 pm

Most of the newscasters on Fox News are Bush's puppets anyway......

Written By: Abercrombie86 on 12/21/05 at 10:43 pm

Is there a website that would tell me exactly what sort of media regulation, espeicially televsion news regulation that exists in the States?

I think its the FCC.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/22/05 at 6:22 am

Recommended book: The Republican Noise Machine: Right Wing Media and How It Corrupts Democracy
by David Brock
http://www.motherjones.com/news/qa/2004/09/09_400.html         

Brock gives the most concise background on how the American right-wing media came to be.  It is all politically connected.  Brock also gives a good run-down on why public broadcasting has been such a craven pushover. 

America is currently a fascist state.  The American fascists use all kinds of euphemisms for what they are--conservative, Republican, libertarian--but they're all basically fascists.  The fascists took over the Republican party starting in the 1960s.  This was easier to do in the two party system than starting their own party, like the European fascists did.  Anyway...

Written By: GWBush2004 on 12/22/05 at 7:01 am

Oh this should be good.

Living in England and not being a consumer of the Fox brand

Don't really know what this complaint is about.

Written By: Criz on 12/22/05 at 10:51 am

Oh this should be good.

Oh and why would you say that? Because I have a right to post what I want and I wanted to mention what I saw on that documentary. You

Written By: GWBush2004 on 12/22/05 at 9:10 pm

Oh, by the way-did I say I live in England? We don't have CNN.

There is a CNN international, which CNN brags about being in most nations.  Also CNN calls themselves "the world's news source."  If nothing involving CNN is on at all in England, my mistake.

However, Before Hannity spoke, there was a previous graphic portraying the number of days-which someone who works for the instituation made. They have forced them to say these things pretty much.

They were doing a countdown.  What's the big deal with that?  Maybe Hannity and/or Colmes requested it.  It's suppose to be an opinion based debate show.

A fairly regulated market is what needs to be apparent if a variety of views is to be introduced to people. There are many arguments that say freedom of speech blah blah blah - its all crap. If you allow such a free market you are inevitably going to get media conglomortaes taking over - pushing forward their views, and their views only. There wont be a diversity of views beacuse the powerful will always win.

It's sad that in a free country some think the government should control and regulate the media.  The free market will make a niche for everyone, fair news, left-wing and right-wing news.  We have Rush Limbaugh and Al Franken.  The problem that the left has is no one listens to Al Franken.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/22/05 at 9:15 pm

Faux News is the biggest media HOAX perpetrated here in America.....I'd rather watch the grass grow than watch the UNFAIR and UNBALANCED Fox News Channel!

Well, here in America, even with the news, MONEY TALKS, AND TRUTH IS NON-RELEVANT,as 'spun' by Hannity and O'Reilly!!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/22/05 at 9:18 pm

There is a CNN international, which CNN brags about being in most nations.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/22/05 at 9:25 pm

I've heard all those rubbishy defenses of FOX a dozen times before.  They hold as much water as your average sieve.  And they're a bore.
http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/schlafen/sleeping-smiley-015.gif
Anyway, this thread should be on the political board, so sayonara for now.

Written By: Criz on 12/23/05 at 5:05 am

It's sad that in a free country some think the government should control and regulate the media.

Written By: Davester on 12/28/05 at 3:34 pm

i HATE foxnews. it's so obvious. you can tell someone's gotten a toxic dose of foxnews when they say something like, "john kerry looks french." any resemblance between foxnews and actual information is purely coincidental.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/29/05 at 9:55 pm

One time Saturday Night Live parodied Fox News back in the 80's when they made a blunder about something then-President Ronald Reagan said to Mikhail Gorbachev...it was something to do with 'our two men'...

Faux News stinks. Give me CNN anytime...CNN is fair and unbiased...

Written By: Davester on 12/29/05 at 10:19 pm

One time Saturday Night Live parodied Fox News back in the 80's when they made a blunder about something then-President Ronald Reagan said to Mikhail Gorbachev...it was something to do with 'our two men'...

Faux News stinks. Give me CNN anytime...CNN is fair and unbiased...

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/29/05 at 11:27 pm

I haven't seen "Outfoxed" but it sounds quite interesting. I stopped watching Fox news Channel awhile back. Actually I don't watch most of those channels because it seemed around 9/11 everything turned into this sort of sensationalism brand of broadcasting. It became a huge turn off for me because every tiny thing became HUGE to them and it was like, "Why are they making me freak out over this stuff?"

My news source remains, KGO 810 Newstalk on AM radio. Still quite the best "balanced" station I've ever listened to.

Written By: Davester on 12/29/05 at 11:33 pm

My news source remains, KGO 810 Newstalk on AM radio. Still quite the best "balanced" station I've ever listened to.

Ah yes, KGO.  Ray Taliaferro was partly responsible for a political awakening after I returned from Gulf War 1...

and I'll get him for it..!

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/29/05 at 11:51 pm

Written By: Davester on 12/30/05 at 12:00 am

and was this a good or bad thing?? lol

Ignorance used to be bliss.  It really is easier to follow the herd...

And I'm in a blue state, for chrissakes... :D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/30/05 at 12:02 am

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/31/05 at 5:48 pm

I like the BBC World News Service which plays here in America on PBS(Television) and NPR...

Faux News is fit for the garbage dumpster!

Check for new replies or respond here...