inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: EXOTIC REPTILES: a problem in Florida

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/13/05 at 2:00 am

http://www.gainesville.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051107/LOCAL/51107011/1078/news

While pythons slithering through residential neighborhoods are believed to be isolated populations, Enge said other reptiles can threaten urban areas. An example is the Nile monitor, a lizard that has powerful jaws of sharp teeth and can grow to 6 feet in length.

A population of perhaps 1,000 Nile monitors is established in Cape Coral, Enge said, where they eat various lizards and have been known to kill an occasional house cat. At least one Nile monitor has been spotted in Alachua County, but is believed to be an isolated occurrence of an escaped pet.

The first time I heard Cobras established themselves in the swamps of Florida it gave me the chills, and I live in New England!  The other night I caught the tale-end of a story about six foot Nile Monitors scaring local residents in south Florida.  The big culprit is the exotic pet trade.
Look you herpaphiles, I don't care what you say, a monitor lizard is not a wise choice for a pet, nor is a Burmese Python!  These are not indigenous species to North America.  I'm usually for the protection of animals, but I think these reptiles pose a serious threat to the ecology and are an unnecessary menace to people and their pets.  It's time for an organized route and elimination of non-indigenous species in sub-tropical regions of America.  It's also time to ban the importation of non-indigenous reptilian species into sub-tropical regions without a proper scientific permit.  Sale or distribution of said species for pets should be banned outright.
I realize their are mammalian species, such as the Nutra, that wreak environmental havoc in the same areas, but here I am speaking larger reptilians such as great snakes, poisonous snakes, lizards, and crocodilians that are not native to the continent.  I am prejudice against reptiles, I'll admit, but the idea of colonies of Nile Monitors running amok without the proper balance of predation is quite unnerving to me!

http://www.geocities.com/midmichiganherp/wandanew.JPG

How long before the biggest lizard in the world shows up?  The Nile Monitor's cousin, the Komodo Dragon.  Monitors are far more aggressive than alligators, and even the little ones can be dangerous to the unwary.  A small monitor lizard was caught in a small lake in southern New Hampshire a few weeks ago.  Fortunately, somebody recognized what it was and called in the state vets before anybody decided to toy with the thing and lose a finger!

Subject: Re: EXOTIC REPTILES: a problem in Florida

Written By: annonymouse on 01/01/06 at 11:49 pm

now dont get me wrong, i love the lizards. (i just got two little bearded dragons) but those monitor lizards are huge!!! bearded dragons only grow to be about a foot long and are very tame. but that lizard looks like he could bite your head off! 

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/02/06 at 1:29 am

Ummmmmmmm...... Big lizards make lously pets.....  ::)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/03/06 at 8:01 pm

I have no problem with boa constrictors, it's the HUGE snakes like pythons and anacondas people don't really know how to handle..same for venomous snakes..there are even people who own Australian species like taipans and tiger snakes..and they are highly venomous.

My sister has an iguana. Iguanas are cool.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/03/06 at 8:03 pm

As much as I think all snakes are cool, there are certain snakes no one should mess with. They are best seen in zoos or in their natural habitat.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/03/06 at 8:06 pm

As much as I think all snakes are cool, there are certain snakes no one should mess with. They are best seen in zoos or in their natural habitat.

If I ran into an anaconda in his natural habitat, I'd prolly mess myself!
:-[

Written By: jackas on 01/04/06 at 10:48 am

There also is a problem with unattractive, overweight nudists in the state of Florida.  Can we ban that too?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/04/06 at 6:21 pm

There also is a problem with unattractive, overweight nudists in the state of Florida.  Can we ban that too?

You're going off-topic here, but as far as nudism go, you either let EVERYBODY do it, or you let NOBODY do it.  Otherwise it's subjective discrimination.  Hey, beautiful people, there are a lot more of us than there are of you!  Well, I'm not overweight, but I'm no Chippendale's dancer, that's fer sher!
:D

Written By: jackas on 01/04/06 at 6:24 pm

You're going off-topic here, but as far as nudism go, you either let EVERYBODY do it, or you let NOBODY do it.  Otherwise it's subjective discrimination.  Hey, beautiful people, there are a lot more of us than there are of you!  Well, I'm not overweight, but I'm no Chippendale's dancer, that's fer sher!
:D

You're absolutely correct.  Darn!  Florida will stay creepy for now....

Now, back to the lizard topic.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/05/06 at 1:57 am

You're absolutely correct.  Darn!  Florida will stay creepy for now....

Now, back to the lizard topic.

Florida would still be creepy, even if you took out all the tubby nudists and all the horrid reptiles.  Florida just seems to attract creepy stuff!

Written By: jackas on 01/05/06 at 9:12 am

Florida would still be creepy, even if you took out all the tubby nudists and all the horrid reptiles.  Florida just seems to attract creepy stuff!

I KNOW!!!  And I'm here amidst all of it! :( 

Hey wait, maybe this means I'm creepy. ;D

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/05/06 at 7:20 pm

People bring in snakes and reptiles from other continents...yet they are killing off reptiles native to this country...which these snakes keep the rodent population in some areas here in the USA down, and people who like to show how tough they are conduct rattlesnake 'roundups' and then sponsor 'shows' where horrendous things are done to these snakes...What some folks seem to forget is 1)the snakes were here long before the Mayflower landed and 2)using caution and a little common sense..never handling questionable snakes and teaching kids NEVER to handle a snake unless it's a non-venomous snake and YOU as the adult know it's harmless...also wearing protective clothing and thick,sturdy leather boots in snake country....that is the humane answer IMO...

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/05/06 at 7:24 pm

I guess some people think all nude bodies are beautiful...personally I think mine is old and frumpy...So no public nudity here.

There was a nudist colony here in Atlantic County, it was in Mays Landing...it was called Sunshine Park.

Check for new replies or respond here...