inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Have people really become less caring about others and why?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/13/05 at 9:33 am

I often wonder why some people have become so self-centered these days, and not really caring towards other people. There are people who see someone fall and do not bother to ask 'are you okay' or offer help in any way. Or people see someone struggling with packages, struggling to pick up something they have dropped, or struggling to get onto a bus or train and need a little help...I always at least offer to help others. Is it that people are afraid of being blown off when they offer to help? That they fear that helping someone will be 'enabling' that person in some way not to deal with their problem? Or is it that some people are so hardened that they always think 'me first'? Or that some people were not raised to be caring human beings?

Subject: Re: Have people really become less caring about others and why?

Written By: TarzSp on 11/13/05 at 2:46 pm

Welcome to America

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/13/05 at 4:56 pm

It's just sickening these days that it's every man(or woman) to or for him(or her)self. When did SOME people really stop caring...in the 70's, the 'ME' decade.  I have always been a caring person, who was taught from childhood to not be extremely self-centered...I grew up in the 1960's...when caring for others was the cool thing to do. The 70's and 80's promoted GREED and SELF-CENTEREDNESS IMO. Yes I know I have to care for me first at certain times...but I reach out to others by doing volunteer work...and it makes me feel like I'm doing something positive rather than just wallowing in my mental illness and doing the 'pity me' thing.

Written By: alyceclover on 11/13/05 at 5:14 pm

After "911/Ground Zero", tsunami wave off the coast of Indonesia, recent hurricanes, People responded with an outpouring of love and caring. But I noticed that people on a daily basis have become more callus and cold towards other human beings. I don't know why, unless it has something to do with Christian biblical prophecy. People like Bill Gates & Donald Trump are an example of meglomaniac's, so perhaps their influencing the citizens.  "You're the missing link" mentality, hey, it's ok to insult people, we deem inferior, seems a way of life. "if only fools are kind....." is a lyric from a 1960's song, so perhaps people are the same now as then.

I miss the other Bush's "kinder & gentler America"; after that fatefull Sept 11th, we as a country had to prove our 'manhood', provng we weren't a bunch of wimps, so,  perhaps that's how this uncaring stuff began.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 11/28/05 at 2:51 pm

It is a more cynical world out there nowadays.  Where often, people that take low-paying (but just as hard working) fast food jobs or grocery store jobs are ridiculed for being stupid or not being able to read. (A friend of my husband's came over yesterday, was bragging about his latest raise which puts him into the 70k a year bracket, and he was making fun of the people that work at McDonalds as if because they weren't making what he made, he was somehow superior and they all depended on the pictures on the cash registers to complete his order.)  I tried to state that I admire people that take those kinds of jobs, as yes, they get paid crap wages, they don't get tips, they work more hours (and don't get to play on the internet at work like alot of so-called hard working office workers do) and STILL have to try to make rent or utilities or child care, etc.  He agreed, but it was more of a "yeah I hear you are saying something, but I still feel they are second class citizens" kind of agreement, since he restated his whole point of view only a few minutes later.  ::)  At that point, I just kept my mouth shut since it was a waste of breathe trying to defend the food industry workers.  :-X :-[

My husband pointed out to me before when I talked about how it seemed people were less caring, is it's been slowing happening without much notice for many years.  Shows that have sarcastic humour that degrade another character have been prevelant on television for years and somehow that attitude has become the norm in today's culture.  Shows (even though, I too, liked them) like Family Ties (Alex making fun of his sister Mallory every chance he got) and Mama's family (Thelma Harper being sarcastic towards everybody), RoseAnne being the same way.  Now it's part of today's culture because it's on television.  No longer is is Mayberry RFD or Leave it to Beaver, where people were polite to each other.  It's sad really.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/28/05 at 6:13 pm

Maybe I'm weird or something, but it really bothers me to see someone else suffering, physically or emotionally..and not really being able to do a dam thing about it except pointing the person to someone or some agency that CAN help them...That's part of what is motivating me to go to college,to study psychology and become a peer counselor...I know what it's like to be a person the rest of the world thinks is flawed, crazy, not all there, 'different', not like 'normal' people...I want to reach out to others like me, especially those who are just coming out of the hospital and are having a hard time adjusting to the outside world...

What's really hard for me to fathom is a mentally ill homeless person who thinks that getting help and GETTING WELL means 'losing their freedom'...

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 11/28/05 at 7:48 pm

What's really hard for me to fathom is a mentally ill homeless person who thinks that getting help and GETTING WELL means 'losing their freedom'...

Well, I'm not really defending their point-of-view, BUT, some mental health doctors prescribe HIGH doses of these medications that end up zombifying the patients so that they are easier to control and they don't cause a ruckus.  When you or a loved one tries to point out that they may be overmedicating the patient, they state that they are the doctor and that this is the best for the patient.  Meanwhile, the drugs strip you of any personality that you have had, aside from the fact that the medication also causes patients to get diabetes.  I can't say that I necessarily blame people for wanting to stay out of the system.  Not ALL mentally ill people are dangerous to others, they are more dangerous to themselves.  It seems the majority of the mentally ill that get press coverage are the ones that hurt or kill other people in a psychotic state.  Also that the term mentally incompetant gets thrown around far too easily IMO.  It may not be a popular stance to take, but I feel that it is a valid one.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/28/05 at 9:02 pm

I find we as a society are less bigoted about race and more tolerant of homosexuality and such, but at the same time we are less courteous to one another and less communitarian than we were a generation or two ago.
Ronald Reagan was more successful than anybody at selling greed as "individualism," and with greed comes "I got mine, **** you!"  The popular conservative movement since Reagan got elected has been extremely vocal against the common good.  Social Darwinism (a misnomer, btw) is praised in our popular culture.  There is contempt without apology for people deemed ugly, fat, or poor.  It's not just Rush Limbaugh, you see.  A lot of contemporary social ugliness was exemplified on Seinfeld, one of my favorite sit-coms ever!  There were always lines such as "five percent of the people are datable, the other ninety-five percent get together because of alcohol."  You know, implying that almost everybody out there is not good-looking or rich enough for your time and affection.  Whether or not Seinfeld was satirizing social cruelty is moot.  Either way, it was a trenchant look into the ugliness we accept day in and day out.

Written By: zcrito on 11/29/05 at 12:34 am

Welcome to America

Welcome to France...

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/051128/ids_photos_wl/r1610376258.jpg

::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/29/05 at 3:08 am

Welcome to France...

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/051128/ids_photos_wl/r1610376258.jpg

::)

Welcome to Mindlesskneejerkreactionville!

Written By: zcrito on 11/29/05 at 4:56 am

Welcome to Mindlesskneejerkreactionville!

Mindlesskneejerkreactionville ??

Hey, it's a nice place. There's no contempt without apology for people deemed ugly, fat, or poor at good ol' Mindlesskneejerkreactionville. They luvs everybody!

But there are some drawbacks:  they like the GREAT SATAN Ronald Reagan and their only news comes from the mother of all evil, Rush Limbaugh.

And what's even odder is that on any given day only 5% of the people there will find you attractive (not to be confused with the heaven-on-earth, pre-Reagan, 80-90%)

:(

Written By: Apricot on 11/29/05 at 10:14 am

I think people still care.. I know I do.

Written By: Apricot on 11/29/05 at 10:15 am

I think people still care.. I know I do.

But there ARE some inconsiderate ones out there.. there have always been, and always will be. Just focus on the good.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/29/05 at 7:53 pm

Well, I'm not really defending their point-of-view, BUT, some mental health doctors prescribe HIGH doses of these medications that end up zombifying the patients so that they are easier to control and they don't cause a ruckus.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/29/05 at 7:58 pm

I think why some people don't get involved with helping others is they think they're 'enabling' someone to be lazy, sick, fat, skinny, you name it.

Also if one renders aid to a sick or injured person and something goes wrong..fear of a LAWSUIT.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 11/29/05 at 11:59 pm

Well, and just like everything else, negative things get more press because it makes for good debate.  I know alot of people that help others, especially my husband, if anyone is stranded alongside a road or in traffic, he will always stop and help push the car out of traffic or offer our cell phone.  There are alot of people that do good things, donate blood, donate money to charity, donate time to teach people to read, people offer people jobs that may have trouble getting them otherwise, people donate time counseling and/or rendering medical aid all over the world...and...there are people that try to raise awareness of various causes, people that donate time trying to locate missing people.  Help is all around this world, it's just not always acknowledged.  Irregardless, the world can always use more people, time, money, organs, or whatever to make this world a better place now and for our children in the future.  I don't think the world is a lost cause by far.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/30/05 at 9:14 pm

Well, and just like everything else, negative things get more press because it makes for good debate.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/30/05 at 11:26 pm

If someone is being over-medicated, they can switch doctors here in NJ, it's relatively easy. Since I'm treated by a PACT team, I have a lot of say in my treatment..PACT teams are more consumer-driven than traditional mental health clinics. And meds, to be honest, sometimes it's trial and error...I've had to try many medications, including Clozaril(which made me have vivid dreams)and Risperdal(which threw off my sleep pattern)...With doctors, it's important to find one that you are comfortable with.

My ex took Clozaril for schizoaffective disorder.  It required a lot of monitoring, but it stabilized her.  She dumped me because I talked about politics too much, which put too many scary thoughts in her head.  I didn't know until it was too late!

I like Klonopin, and I don't mind a little sedation now and again anymore than I mind getting jacked up on espresso!

Written By: JoniFan on 12/01/05 at 11:23 pm

A lot of people don't feel good about themselves, and putting people down is normal human behavior when people don't feel good about themselves. They need to think they're better than other people, so they have to put other people down for being not as rich, or smart, or successful, or moral, or whatever.  It doesn't make them any happier though when they do it, though, so it's really sad.  :\'(

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/02/05 at 7:34 pm

There have been many times when people have been so outright mean to me, that I did not cry in front of them..but when I got home, alone, in my room..I'd scream, cry, and throw my pillow, what these people said was so mean and cutting and awful.  Like someone who teased me about my first cat dying..I wanted to kick their a$$!

I often wonder why some parents won't BE A PARENT and teach their kids that cruelty and meanness is WRONG..

And why some parents of kids being teased don't care what their kid's going through and teach them that it's okay to  be assertive and tell the other kid to stop it and tell an adult if the teasing or bullying continues.

Written By: FelineFrenzy on 12/04/05 at 8:29 pm

There have been many times when people have been so outright mean to me, that I did not cry in front of them..but when I got home, alone, in my room..I'd scream, cry, and throw my pillow, what these people said was so mean and cutting and awful.

Written By: robby76 on 12/04/05 at 9:09 pm

I agree with the television statement... kids today and even in the 70's learnt to be wise-crackin' and self-centred. Even last night having an MSN chat with my sister and my 10 yr old nephew... he was coming out with stuff like "shut the %&#@ up Mum"! I was shocked... okay so he used his @$% symbols... but it doesn't take a genius to figure out what he was implying. Thing is I know my sister is a good parent, so it must be school and television. I could NEVER in a million years, EVER imagine me saying that to my Mum at age 10!!! And i'm only 29!

Written By: Gis on 12/05/05 at 10:16 am

We were talking about this same kind of thing at work last week.
Personally I find alot of young kids today have no respect.No respect for property, no respect for their elders and no respect for their peers.

Written By: Tia on 12/05/05 at 11:11 am

i think it's consumer society, everyone has internalized this false sense of entitlement from watching commercials that pander to them their whole life.

funny about the young kids with no respect. you need to get yourself a mosquito.

http://news.com.com/Whats+the+buzz+Teens+cant+stand+it/2100-11395_3-5974937.html

i don't know why i find that so funny. sorry teens! don't mean to, er, offend you.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/05/05 at 6:31 pm

i think it's consumer society, everyone has internalized this false sense of entitlement from watching commercials that pander to them their whole life.

Ayyuhh!  You go that a-right!  I've made the same observation for many years.  When the era of cheap oil comes grinding to a halt, the we as a society will have some decisions to make.  Do we band together as a communitarian class?  Or do we let the fat cats who can still afford petroleum build gated fortresses and enlsave us all?

I have long declared the most destructive programming on television is the commercials.  NEVER in the history of all HUMANITY have so many felt entitled to so much as contemporary Americans do!

Written By: Mistress Leola on 12/05/05 at 6:50 pm

Less caring than when, for God's sake?  What the hell is the point of reference?  :-[

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/05/05 at 8:35 pm

Less caring than when, for God's sake?

Written By: Mistress Leola on 12/05/05 at 10:08 pm

Okay, when I was growing up (early 1960's) kids STILL cared about their peers and their elders...People HAVE become callous and less caring..post here anything to the contrary!

I know plenty of kids who respect their parents and elders... and I've seen plenty who don't.  There's rarely any mystery as to why a kid's screwed up -- look at the parenting.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/06/05 at 1:42 am

I know plenty of kids who respect their parents and elders... and I've seen plenty who don't.

Check for new replies or respond here...