inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: If You Could Wake Up Tomorrow GUARANTEED to have either...

Written By: Comcast Sux on 11/16/05 at 12:18 pm

A. Perfect Contentment With Your Life Exactly The Way It Is, or

B. Everything You Currently Want

Which would you pick?

:o

Subject: Re: If You Could Wake Up Tomorrow GUARANTEED to have either...

Written By: barefootrobin on 11/16/05 at 12:20 pm

If you had A - wouldn't it automatically x out b?  I pick A!!!

Written By: Lara Spencer on 11/16/05 at 2:04 pm

Is this a trick question?  Obviously B.  If I had everything I want, I'd be happy!

If I picked A. and ended up being happy with what I have, I still wouldn't have all the stuff I still want, so what would be the point?

Written By: IanWinn on 11/16/05 at 2:17 pm

I choose A.

Actually, I live A.  I came to the realization LONG AGO that the best things in life are not things, the material objects that we use.  They are the relationships that we form in our lives, with our family, our friends, our loved ones.  For example, I cannot imagine life without my wife...well, actually, I can, but it's very dreary and lonely.

Are things necessary?  Yes.  It's necessary to have food, clothing, and shelter.  It's nice to have cable/satellite (your choice), a cell phone, an internet connection and so on.  But what's truly important are the bonds we form with other people.  That's most evident when we are born; babies die unless they bond with someone, the mother or someone who takes her place (I used to work as a welfare worker, and I've had situations where a mother rejected her newborn child, and so the grandmother or grandfather had to bond with the baby instead).

So that's why I choose A.  Sorry that it was about to turn into a rant.  :)

Written By: Save Me! on 11/16/05 at 2:55 pm

I'd pick A, because then I wouldn't get so annoyed and frustrated and angry with people.  It would be cool to be able to just "let it be".  I could be like the Buddha!

:)

Written By: Criz on 11/16/05 at 3:06 pm

Hmm, well I would have to pick B.

It's not beacuse I'm greedy, or want loads of money* or material things. What I curently want is this: to know where I'm heading in the future, and to have an idea of what job to do. I'm in my final year of uni and I'm so stuck with what to do next year - I just don't have a clue at the moment so I'm getting very stressed out! I don't want to stop being a student and go into the world of a working for a living! I feel like I'm still a kid!! Aaargh!!

*However, having enough money to live on, support my future family and have a little extra on the side to treat myself would also be great :D

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/17/05 at 10:20 am

B. Because I refuse to get stuck in a rut. Going to college in January is the first step to getting the career I want, being a peer counselor for other mental-health consumer-survivors. And I'd love to upgrade this Compaq Presario computer I' m using right now!

Written By: Cyril on 11/17/05 at 11:18 am

A. If you are content, that's the only thing that matters, and it doesn't stop you from doing anything else.  If you pick B, you will never be happy, because there will always be something more that you want.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/17/05 at 11:53 am

A. If you are content, that's the only thing that matters, and it doesn't stop you from doing anything else.

Written By: Cyril on 11/17/05 at 12:30 pm

Contentment doesn't stop anybody from doing more.  It just keeps them from feeling like life is bad now.  If find out you have 1 day left to live, your better off to be content and not feel like life is a failure just because you didn't get a gold record, or win the lottery or make partner.

Written By: Tia on 11/17/05 at 9:38 pm

that's a great question man! not only are the answers split down the middle, i imagine just about everybody is thinking their answer is the only one that makes any sense at all.

i go with B! of course! if you were contented with what you had you'd sit on your patoot all day long but if you got everything you always wanted you'd immediately start thinking of other things/accomplishments that it hadn't occurred to you to want before. and because you'd gotten everything you wanted before, you'd have the resources you needed to pursue the new things/accomplishments you'd thought of since then! yeah!  8)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/17/05 at 11:31 pm

I chooose A.

I'm pretty cagey about the things I want.

I always say, careful what you wish fore, you might get it....up your @ss!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/17/05 at 11:36 pm

B! Call me shallow, but that's what I'd choose.

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/18/05 at 5:22 am

I'm another one of those people that doesn't really change, at least with personality traits or the overall way my mind works, etc.

Some minor things will change, or my exact attitude about some things will, but overall since I figure what I want will relatively stay the same, I'll go with A. ;)

Written By: Stompgal on 11/18/05 at 11:36 am

Everything I currently want. My mum told me not to wish my life away.

Written By: Ophrah on 11/18/05 at 11:48 am

A. Human beings are insatiable.  You're better off learning to be content or you'll always be miserable.  Contentment is not the same as complacency.

Written By: IanWinn on 11/18/05 at 12:32 pm

On THAT, I will agree with you, Harpo.  I don't know if there is anything else we can agree upon, but that's good for starters!  :)

Written By: Ophrah on 11/18/05 at 12:47 pm

Well, just be content with that.  ::)

Written By: IanWinn on 11/18/05 at 1:05 pm

;D

Check for new replies or respond here...