inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Snopes Dot Com

Written By: Tia on 11/17/05 at 7:57 pm

I know i'm the only one in the world who hates snopes.com with a purple passion, but i just have to prove it for some perverse reason.

Snopes: They're right! You're wrong! ugh.

Subject: Re: Snopes Dot Com

Written By: PETER on 11/17/05 at 8:30 pm

Hate snopes?

I was helped sooo many times when it came to email hoaxes and sent the proof back to the people to show off the found info..

One I recall is a letter going around that a cancer ward/hospital was named after a former poor child who thanked/honored his teacher..a real heart string tugger..SNOPES confirmed nothing had ever existed!

I love truth or someone who does the work to disprove cah-cah. ;)..

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/17/05 at 9:29 pm

Snopes can be a buzzkill at times, but more often, finding out the truth behind the lie, the legend, the myth is as fun as the canard itself.  I see Snopes as a valuable resource.  However, I also think it's important to fact check the fact checkers from time to time.  If Tia doesn't like Snopes, perhaps he should start Countersnopes.com or something!
8)

Written By: Tia on 11/17/05 at 9:33 pm

hey! countersnopes! the lie behind the truth behind the lie!

i like it. ima see if that's taken!

Written By: PETER on 11/17/05 at 9:47 pm

Haven't checked lately, but my COUNTERSNOPES question is : Which direction does the water in a sink or toilet flow in the Northern Hemisphere? Clockwise or Counterclockwise?

Most would pickone or the other but I have heard research been done and it DOESN'T really matter as it depends on the direction of the water pressure-as in a toilet bowl..if the water is aimed to the left, it will go counterclockwise etc..

May check to see if snopes ever addressed this as a myth?

Written By: Tia on 11/18/05 at 8:39 am

Haven't checked lately, but my COUNTERSNOPES question is : Which direction does the water in a sink or toilet flow in the Northern Hemisphere? Clockwise or Counterclockwise?

Most would pickone or the other but I have heard research been done and it DOESN'T really matter as it depends on the direction of the water pressure-as in a toilet bowl..if the water is aimed to the left, it will go counterclockwise etc..

May check to see if snopes ever addressed this as a myth?

i know it's a myth, but i dunno if snopes ever addressed it. on countersnopes, it will be maintained that the government is involved with the mafia in a sinister cabal to keep the water from going straight down.

i have no problem with the truth, but sometimes they're so SMUG. and a lot of times they're really just being conjectural themselves, and passing it off as objective truth. which is a bit dangerous.

Written By: Mushroom on 11/18/05 at 4:32 pm

i know it's a myth, but i dunno if snopes ever addressed it. on countersnopes, it will be maintained that the government is involved with the mafia in a sinister cabal to keep the water from going straight down.

i have no problem with the truth, but sometimes they're so SMUG. and a lot of times they're really just being conjectural themselves, and passing it off as objective truth. which is a bit dangerous.

Actually, it will spin counter-clockwise, as long as nothing influences it to go the other direction.

It spins in the same direction as a hurricane does.  That is why all huricanes spin counter-clockwise.  They are far to big and powerful to let anything influence their spin.

I guess the first time a clockwise spinning hurricane smashes into the US, I will be proven wrong.

Myself, I enjoy going through snopes on occasion.  And I found it interesting that when the debate broke out in here about the "lootinv Vs. finding" pictures broke out, I pointed out the same resoning that snopes did: that the captions were written by two different people, from two different news agencies.  I frequently use it when I get those "Send this E-Mail along or..." messages.

Written By: Dagwood on 11/19/05 at 2:03 pm

Love Snopes

Written By: TarzSp on 11/19/05 at 4:37 pm

I Love Snopes.com

Here is my all-time favorite story on Snopes...

http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/5817/pepper10bc.jpg

http://www.snopes.com/photos/people/peppers.asp

;D Low and Behold the Biggest "Internet Celebrity"....Brian Peppers!

Written By: Tia on 11/19/05 at 4:41 pm

I Love Snopes.com

Here is my all-time favorite story on Snopes...

http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/5817/pepper10bc.jpg

http://www.snopes.com/photos/people/peppers.asp

;D Low and Behold the Biggest "Internet Celebrity"....Brian Peppers!

Um

Written By: TarzSp on 11/19/05 at 4:56 pm

Here's a really funny one I found on Snopes.  This is a list of double entrendres that some Announcers made during the 2004 Summer Olympics  ;D

1. Weightlifting commentator: "This is Gregoriava from Bulgaria. I saw her snatch this morning during her warm up and it was amazing."

2. Dressage commentator: "This is really a lovely horse and I speak from personal experience since I once mounted her mother."

3. Paul Hamm, Gymnast: "I owe a lot to my parents, especially my mother and father."

4. Boxing Analyst: "Sure there have been injuries,and even some deaths in boxing, but none of them really that serious."

5. Softball announcer: "If history repeats itself, I should think we can expect the same thing again."

6. Basketball analyst: "He dribbles a lot and the opposition doesn't like it. In fact you can see it all over their faces."

7. At the rowing medal ceremony: "Ah, isn't that nice, the wife of the IOC president is hugging the cox of the British crew."

8. Soccer commentator: "Julian Dicks is everywhere. It's like they've got eleven Dicks on the field."

9. Tennis commentator: "One of the reasons Andy is playing so well is that, before the final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them . . . Oh my God, what have I just said?"

Written By: Tia on 11/19/05 at 5:00 pm

Ok, I have to admit I've seen that Olympic thing before and that's pretty funny.

Still, I'm afraid when I conquer the world my first official act will be to shut down snopes and have everyone associated with it arrested for disloyalty to The Party. And everyone's votes on this thread will be duly noted.

Subject: Snopes Dot Com

Written By: Dude111 on 03/06/18 at 10:00 pm

Snopes is crap ran by mainstream morons who think THEY ARE THE ONLY ONES WHO KNOW THE RIGHT ANSWER!!!

They say ASPERTAME is safe!!!!

I DONT BELIEVE 1 WORD ON THAT SITE........

Check for new replies or respond here...