inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is 2005 the worst year for movies?

Written By: Batfan2005 on 11/18/05 at 12:41 pm

I keep reading reviews that 2005 is about to go down in history as the worst year at the box office (the steepest year-to-year decline). Now, I don't think its necessarily because the movies suck, since the summer had some good movies like Batman Begins, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Fantastic 4, Star Wars 3, Mr. & Mrs. Smith, War of the Worlds, and many more (although the last few months have been lacking). What I think is the biggest factor is the high gas prices that make people cut back on expenses like going out to the movies. Also, the quicker turn-around time for movies to come out on DVD is a lot quicker, so people (including me) will say "I'll just wait for the DVD to come out."

Subject: Re: Is 2005 the worst year for movies?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/18/05 at 5:59 pm

No... there has been worse...

Written By: Tia on 11/18/05 at 6:06 pm

fantastic four made me QUIVER with rage! i liked war of the worlds a lot though. i saw it once and then went to see it again with three friends who all hated it and were all TOed at me for recommending it.

anyway, i bet it's cuzza netflix! i swear i almost stopped seeing movies altogether cuzza netflix.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/18/05 at 6:24 pm

It's taken until this late in the year for there to be any movies I'm actually excited to see:
"Capote," and "Good Night, and Good Luck."
There were a whole slough 2005 of movies I would have seen--for free--not nine bucks or whatever!

Written By: Kenlos on 11/19/05 at 12:54 am

I think this year had its ups and downs.  What I want to know is what is up with all the limited release movies this year I don't ever remember there being this many in past years.  Its been frustrating at times cause a lot of the movies I wanted to see were limited release. Though I have to say that now the year is coming to an end there have been some better movies coming out.  Overall though the last several years combined have been pretty bad at the rate the 2000s are going its going to be known as the decade of remakes and sequels.

Written By: Tia on 11/19/05 at 3:55 am

It's taken until this late in the year for there to be any movies I'm actually excited to see:
"Capote," and "Good Night, and Good Luck."
There were a whole slough 2005 of movies I would have seen--for free--not nine bucks or whatever!

yeah, they priced themselves beyond my market. i'm just not willing to pay 6.75 for a matinee movie! nine clams for an evening movie! and have it probably suck! (can we say "suck"?) not when i can watch "land of the lost" and "space:1999" and endless slammin' 70s carchase movies for that amount of money every MONTH. fuggitaboutit. baddaboombaddabing.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 11/20/05 at 10:16 am

Have you not seen

http://mcmuffin.co.uk/mr_and_mrs_mcmuffin/images/marv.jpg

?

One of the coolest movies I've seen in a long time.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/20/05 at 11:09 am

Sin City
March of the Penguins
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Batman Begins
Capote

Great Films!

Written By: Apricot on 11/20/05 at 2:13 pm

Have you not seen

http://mcmuffin.co.uk/mr_and_mrs_mcmuffin/images/marv.jpg

?

One of the coolest movies I've seen in a long time.

Seriously, that movie was freaking artistic, and quite frankly, badass. I loved it.

Movies ARE a bit over-priced in the cities, but I'm lucky enough to be near several reasonably-priced theaters (7 bucks is a bit much, but we usually go to matinees for $4.50, anyway...), so that helps. My family loves movies, and we go all the time.

I've seen a LOT of worse years for film. This is an average one.

Written By: TarzSp on 11/20/05 at 5:56 pm

Anyone who thinks 2005 is a Bad year for movies is an IDIOT, plain and simple

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Sin City
War of the Worlds
Batman Begins
Flightplan
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Alot of Big Movies released this year, and they were all good

Written By: Kenlos on 11/20/05 at 11:04 pm

Anyone who thinks 2005 is a Bad year for movies is an IDIOT, plain and simple

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

I can not stand any of the new new Star Wars movies, course I didn't care for the orginial either but that is for a different reason.  The acting in all three of the new episodes (especially II and III) is so bad it makes me cringe.  Blows my mind how movies with acting as fake and as poor as in those movies that they can be that popular.

Written By: TarzSp on 11/20/05 at 11:25 pm

I can not stand any of the new new Star Wars movies, course I didn't care for the orginial either but that is for a different reason.  The acting in all three of the new episodes (especially II and III) is so bad it makes me cringe.  Blows my mind how movies with acting as fake and as poor as in those movies that they can be that popular.

::) I knew someone would jump in to say "The New Star Wars Movies are Horrible and so is the acting"

I'm so sick of hearing the same crap. If you want to blame anyone for the acting, blame George Lucas. The guy doesen't care for Acting at all, he only cares about getting past that crap so he can work on the Special Effects.  He's like a kid in a candy store when he gets to those effects

All of the actors in the Prequels are very good actors actually, try watching every other movie that they have all been in and you will see what I mean

And Star Wars Episode III was Great, I don't care what anyone says (The first two prequels weren't that great, i'll admit though)

Written By: Kenlos on 11/20/05 at 11:45 pm

::) I knew someone would jump in to say "The New Star Wars Movies are Horrible and so is the acting"

I'm so sick of hearing the same crap. If you want to blame anyone for the acting, blame George Lucas. The guy doesen't care for Acting at all, he only cares about getting past that crap so he can work on the Special Effects.  He's like a kid in a candy store when he gets to those effects

All of the actors in the Prequels are very good actors actually, try watching every other movie that they have all been in and you will see what I mean

And Star Wars Episode III was Great, I don't care what anyone says (The first two prequels weren't that great, i'll admit though)

Don't get me wrong the special effects is great in these movies, but as you said Lucas seemed to let acting take the hit for it which really hurt these films in a big way, atleast for me.  The orginial from the 70s had very good acting, but for some reason I tend to find that one boring as I have tried to watch it twice and have fallen asleep both times (still the only movie I have ever fallen asleep during).

Check for new replies or respond here...