inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Weather Gone Bonkers 2005:What's up with all the tropical storms/hurricanes?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/20/05 at 8:57 am

This year seemingly was the year of Weather Gone Berzerk here in the USA...all the tropical storms and hurricanes, and the big mess that was Hurricane Katrina...Why? Anyone have any ideas or theories, post them here.

Subject: Re: Weather Gone Bonkers 2005:What's up with all the tropical storms/hurricanes?

Written By: Tam on 11/20/05 at 9:24 am

Two Words:  La Ni

Subject: Re: Weather Gone Bonkers 2005:What's up with all the tropical storms/hurricanes?

Written By: danootaandme on 11/20/05 at 2:21 pm

Blue State Retribution? Well that is what Pat Robertson would say if it was hitting the godless
red states    ::)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/20/05 at 6:11 pm

Some fools actually think it's God punishing New Orleans!
LMAOROFL!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/20/05 at 6:26 pm

Like Pat "World's biggest douchbag" Robertson!  ::)  ;D

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/20/05 at 7:07 pm

Like Pat "World's biggest douchbag" Robertson!

Written By: Kenlos on 11/20/05 at 11:15 pm

Two Words:  La Ni

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/20/05 at 11:34 pm

Umm we are not in a La Nina period right now, we are currently in an inactive period when it comes to La Nina and El Ninos.

Written By: Kenlos on 11/21/05 at 12:01 am

Who knows?  You used the passive voice, "what is known." 

I'm in no position to say what's what, but I've never seen such intense hurricane seasons as the past two and so say folks double my age.

Not sure where I used "what is known" I see where I used "that is known".  But anyway, there is a reason you nor people double your age have never seen such intense hurricanes as this and that is because there never has been a year with such intense hurricanes as this year.  This year broke just about every record there was.  Keep in mind tropical system data records only go back 120 to 150 years ago and tropical systems existed long before then so it is definitely possible that there have been stronger season and storms in a certain year before then.  But yes since records of tropical season have been kept this has been the worse.  As I said the stronger than normally intensity for tropical systems in the last two years is mostly due to increased sea surface temperatures (SST) these last two years.  Which some believe these increased SST's are due to Global Warming but again that is still being studied.  We will probably do it all over again next year too.

For people like myself who are fascinated by hurricanes this past season as been one of excitement as much as it has been a season of sadness for those effected like my Aunt who lived in Pass Christian, MS which took a direct hit from Katrina and she lost pretty much everything including her house and her shop along with everything that was still in them.  Hopefully we wont see a season with this many strong hurricanes making landfall again, but unfortunately I wouldn't put my money on it.

Check for new replies or respond here...