inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why are newbies sometimes picked on when they use the Internet?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/22/05 at 11:40 am

I always wonder why 'newbies' to the Internet are sometimes targets for rudeness, personal attacks, screen-name hijacking, and even people sending them computer viruses? Why? Initiation? Because they offend other internet users? Lack of netiquette?

I try to be polite to most people on the Net. And yes I got the newbie treatment. It taught me what I can and what I can't say or do on the Net. But sometimes it's downright nasty. I try never to bash newbies, because of the way I was treated.

???

Subject: Re: Why are newbies sometimes picked on when they use the Internet?

Written By: Comcast Sux on 11/22/05 at 11:51 am

What makes you think newbies are 'targeted'?  How can anyone know who the newbies are anyway?  Of course, the less you know, the more vulnerable you are, but that doesn't mean they are 'targeted'.  Besides, I know a lot of people who have been on the net for a LONG time, and they are STILL naive.  ???

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/22/05 at 12:17 pm

Same principle as picking on the new kid in school who doesn't know his way around.  There are a lot of school-age kids on the internet, and a lot of adults in the world who never grow up!
>:(

Written By: alyceclover on 11/22/05 at 1:25 pm

way old song "It's  A Sign of the TImes" Petula Clark

:)

Someone started a thread asking if people were less kind now-a-days and it seems being rude to people not as bright as one is the rule...."you're the missing link" mentality...or simple snobbery or as my fellow spy noted, simply good-natured ribbing.

I have learned lots from Veteran 'net users; when I've gotten negative feedback for being a dumb arse, I replied explaining being a newbie and usually got good feedback.

Written By: Marian on 11/23/05 at 2:59 pm

way old song "It's

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 11/23/05 at 11:58 pm

I always wonder why 'newbies' to the Internet are sometimes targets for rudeness, personal attacks, screen-name hijacking, and even people sending them computer viruses? Why? Initiation? Because they offend other internet users? Lack of netiquette?

I try to be polite to most people on the Net. And yes I got the newbie treatment. It taught me what I can and what I can't say or do on the Net. But sometimes it's downright nasty. I try never to bash newbies, because of the way I was treated.

???
Newbies are picked on because alot of people in cyberspace have low self esteem.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/24/05 at 11:12 am

I really did NOT know a lot of 'netiquette' when I got AOL in 2002.....I know now what I did NOT know then. And some of it I learned the hard way.

Written By: snozberries on 11/25/05 at 11:58 am

Sarcasim is a hard thing to get across on the internet. . . sometimes what is meant to be fun-loving sarcastic humor is misinterpreted  as rudeness

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/25/05 at 8:14 pm

Sarcasim is a hard thing to get across on the internet. . . sometimes what is meant to be fun-loving sarcastic humor is misinterpreted

Written By: Apricot on 11/25/05 at 8:20 pm

Going on sarcasm..

Sometimes, a newbie uses sarcasm, and it's missed.. it's taken as an attack. Since people don't know that person, they tend to overreact.. for example, If I made a sarcastic comment and you missed it, you'd probably be more willing to forgive me and less likely to come out and insult me then if I had 10 posts instead of 10,000.

And then, a lot of people are jerks online.

Check for new replies or respond here...