inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Biggest Loser

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/22/05 at 8:19 pm

Do any of you watch the reality TV show, "The Biggest Loser"...this is where a group of overweight people stay on a ranch with personal trainers, etc for 3 months, competing to see which one can lose the most weight.  I have been hooked on it since the first episode. Next week is the season finale. For those of you who watch it...who do you think will win, and who are you the most impressed with?  I am really impressed with Suzy..I think she looks amazing!

Erin :)

Subject: Re: The Biggest Loser

Written By: TarzSp on 11/22/05 at 9:00 pm

I think anyone who watches this junk or supports it in any way is Scum

I happen to have some close relatives who are Overweight and I get extremely irritated when someone makes fun of Overweight people and this show seems to take it to the Max.  And calling Overweight people "Losers" is enough for me to want to strangle the life out of the creators of the show

Do they think people get a sense of joy out of watching Overweight people try to lose weight and humiliate themselves on National TV?  Does every "Skinny" person in the world look down on all of the Overweight people or something??

You should all be ashamed of yourselves!  >:( >:( >:(

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/22/05 at 10:16 pm

I think anyone who watches this junk or supports it in any way is Scum

I happen to have some close relatives who are Overweight and I get extremely irritated when someone makes fun of Overweight people and this show seems to take it to the Max.

Written By: whistledog on 11/22/05 at 10:19 pm

I have not yet seen this show, but I think the idea behind it is great.  Even though there is only one winner, they are all winners in the end cause they've won the battle of weight loss :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/22/05 at 10:20 pm

I have not yet seen this show, but I think the idea behind it is great.

Written By: TarzSp on 11/22/05 at 10:35 pm

Don't you see the Double Meaning behind the name "The Biggest Loser".  They did that intentionally, and it's obvious

Like people are going to hear about a show called "The Biggest Loser" and think it means anything other than being a Big Loser.  They associate that word with Fat people for humilating reasons.  And why is this show even on TV? Like I asked before, are people secretly getting a big laugh out of seeing Overweight people try to lose weight?  Why do other people give a damn whether someone eats more food than they do??

Hypocrites  >:(

>modified by admin to remove personal attacks<

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/22/05 at 10:39 pm

Smartass

Plus, you're an Idiot if you don't see the Double Meaning behind the name "The Biggest Loser".

Written By: whistledog on 11/22/05 at 10:40 pm

Plus, you're an Idiot if you don't see the Double Meaning behind the name "The Biggest Loser".

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/22/05 at 10:42 pm

Then I am an idiot and proud to be one

That comment makes you the biggest loser

score one for the good guys!!! ;D ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/22/05 at 10:44 pm

I watch a lot of crummy TV programming, but I mean, there are limits.  Sheesh!  There's a difference between drinking Nestle's Quick and drinking moose diarrhea!
:P

Written By: TarzSp on 11/22/05 at 10:49 pm

score one for the good guys!!! ;D ;)

Oh yeah, I'm the bad guy now, so everyone here hates me because i'm able to notice that a stupid TV show humiliates overweight people

How the hell am I supposed to keep posting here if everyone here is going to look at me as a Bad Guy

It's no wonder why I hate people

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/22/05 at 10:50 pm

Oh yeah, I'm the bad guy now, so everyone here hates me because i'm able to notice that a stupid TV show humiliates overweight people

How the hell am I supposed to keep posting here if everyone here is going to look at me as a Bad Guy

It's no wonder why I hate people

oh jeez...get over it..nobody is calling you a bad guy...it is just a phrase that I say sometimes.  I was just happy that someone agreed with me, that's all.

Written By: TarzSp on 11/22/05 at 10:51 pm

oh jeez...get over it..nobody is calling you a bad guy...it is just a phrase that I say sometimes.  I was just happy that someone agreed with me, that's all.

No, apparently i'm now the Bad Guy while you 2 sit around smiling and having a good ole' time pushing my buttons

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/22/05 at 10:53 pm

No, apparently i'm now the Bad Guy while you 2 sit around smiling and having a good ole' time pushing my buttons

ok...I am totally ending this because it wasn't worth beginning in the first place. I refuse to continue to argue with someone who clearly doesn't get it.

Written By: whistledog on 11/22/05 at 10:55 pm

If you're going to go around calling people smartasses, then yes you are the bad guy. 

Written By: TarzSp on 11/22/05 at 10:56 pm

What don't I get?

Oh I get it alright, the point of the show is for skinny people to get their rocks off watching a bunch of fatty's humiliate themselves on National TV by not winning because they ended up breaking their diet and then they sit on TV and cry why all of shallow america laughs at them

I can not believe for a second that you are overweight and you support junk like this.  I mean, obviously the skinny jerks love it because it makes them feel better about themselves

Written By: TarzSp on 11/22/05 at 10:57 pm

If you're going to go around calling people smartasses, then yes you are the bad guy. 

Smartass is not an Insult, it's a way you act towards someone, and she was clearly acting like a smart ellic in her second post

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/22/05 at 10:57 pm

What don't I get?

Oh I get it alright, the point of the show is for skinny people to get their rocks off watching a bunch of fatty's humiliate themselves on National TV by not winning because they ended up breaking their diet and then they sit on TV and cry why all of shallow america laughs at them

I can not believe for a second that you are overweight and you support junk like this.

Written By: whistledog on 11/22/05 at 11:01 pm

Smartass is not an Insult, it's a way you act towards someone, and she was clearly acting like a smart ellic in her second post

yes, but you said it in a rude manner

Written By: TarzSp on 11/22/05 at 11:04 pm

yes, but you said it in a rude manner

As long as I get my point across, it's good enough for me

Written By: whistledog on 11/22/05 at 11:09 pm

As long as I get my point across, it's good enough for me

But to get your point across, you end up pissing off people along the way.  I think you need to re-think your strategy

Written By: TarzSp on 11/22/05 at 11:10 pm

But to get your point across, you end up pissing off people along the way.  I think you need to re-think your strategy

Oh, and like you two didn't piss me off before that??  That's obviously why I chose the term "Smartass", I wasn't in a very good mood while you two were having your fun spiting me and pushing my buttons

If it satisfies you at all, I edited it and changed it to Smart "Elic"

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/22/05 at 11:12 pm

Oh, and like you two didn't piss me off before that??

Written By: TarzSp on 11/22/05 at 11:14 pm

does your name happen to be Alex?

No

Written By: whistledog on 11/23/05 at 12:03 am

Oh, and like you two didn't piss me off before that??

Written By: TarzSp on 11/23/05 at 12:06 am

Not that I really wanted to awake this topic again, but I just had to post some of these quotes I found from Message Boards talking about this show.  So that you all can see the kind of people that watch this show

"Its great that these people have lost weight in a healthy way and what not, but the show is mildly disturbing, that is what makes it fantastic.

I know its wrong to gain pleasure from seeing a bunch of lard arses, who have been slowly killing themselves their whole lives, compete to make themeselves healthy FOR THE ENJOYMENT OF THE VIEWING PUBLIC but I love it all the same.

Its like watching an F1 race, you dont want anyone to get hurt, but a part of you really really wants to see an insane crash OR watching football and just hoping a fight breaks out. "

Wow, how nice of him!  ::) (You see what I mean?? This is the reason idiots watch this show)

....Fat people, lol.  A show about lazy fat people wanting to lose weight but being to lazy to actually do it. Hhahahah. I actually gave it a chance to tonight, it's funny. Fat people are always funny.

Oh wow, I like this guy alot! He seems like a pretty nice fellow  ::)

And here is something interesting I found about how the people working on the show ARE making fun of the Fat people

Listen, I don't think it was okay for this show to poke fun at overweight people (did it really have to shake the camera as one of its contestents was working on the treadmill?)

Oh really?  Looks to me as if they ARE making fun of Overweight people on the show. How classy.  I bet you feel great about watching this junk show now, don't you?

Written By: TarzSp on 11/23/05 at 12:09 am

You started it.  I present to you Exhibit A ...

I stand by that statement and I always will. The only reason anyone would watch a show like this is for entertainment purpouses.  That's all Reality shows are.  It's not fun nor funny to have Overweight people being pushed to the limit on National TV for everyone to see and laugh at.  What other reason could people actually be watching this show for?? There is no other reason

Written By: whistledog on 11/23/05 at 12:11 am

I stand by that statement and I always will. The only reason anyone would watch a show like this is for entertainment purpouses.

Written By: TarzSp on 11/23/05 at 12:13 am

You still don't understand the idea of the show at all  :-\\

I've got all the time in the world, why don't you explain it to me then...

Oh, and I noticed that you completely ignored my previous post where I pointed out the idiots and their reasons for watching it, not to mention a part where apparently they are making fun of the contestants on the show.  Great job, you don't want to face the reality of it

Written By: whistledog on 11/23/05 at 12:15 am

I've got all the time in the world, why don't you explain it to me then...

it's not worth the effort

Written By: TarzSp on 11/23/05 at 12:17 am

it's not worth the effort

Of course it isn't, because you know i'm right

Written By: whistledog on 11/23/05 at 12:19 am

no, i just don't want to take the time to explain, cause no matter how i explain it, you'll find some way to twist it around and make an argument out of it.  I give up

Written By: TarzSp on 11/23/05 at 12:22 am

no, i just don't want to take the time to explain, cause no matter how i explain it, you'll find some way to twist it around and make an argument out of it.  I give up

;D Have it your way

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/23/05 at 12:31 am

Seriously, haven't you got anything better to do than watch "The Biggest Loser," like go suck an egg?  I'm it's not as bad watching The Donald or Howard Stern, but it's inching in that direction!
???

Written By: whistledog on 11/23/05 at 12:37 am

Seriously, haven't you got anything better to do than watch "The Biggest Loser," like go suck an egg?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/23/05 at 12:44 am

I thought Howard Stern was the star of "The Biggest Loser"

Written By: TarzSp on 11/23/05 at 12:48 am

I thought Howard Stern was the star of "The Biggest Loser"  ;D

does Stern still have a show, or does he just stick to radio?  I never could stand that guy

*clears throat* God, I hate to bring up this subject again, but I coulden't just ignore this  ;D

So, you saying "I thought Howard Stern was the star of The Biggest Loser", and of course it was meant to be a joke, but you basically just acknowledged the fact that "The Biggest Loser" DOES have a double meaning and you just used it when referring to Howard Stern

So don't act as if everytime you hear "The Biggest Loser", you don't think about the term Big Loser

Ok, back to our regularly scheduled whatever.. 8)

Written By: TarzSp on 11/23/05 at 12:49 am

I guess they're still producing the half hour for the "e" channel, but it's always the same.  Making fun of the mentally ill and the mentally retarded, and nekid bimbos with no self-respect. Throw in Howard's perpetually DUMB remarks, and you've got one of the low points in the history of broadcast entertainment.
The really sad thing is if they didn't mosaic the naughty bits, I'd prolly watch it!
:-[

The "E" show is no more.  They stopped doing that earlier this year

Oh, and Howard only has 14 days left on Regular Radio before he leaves and goes to Sirius Satellite Radio

Written By: whistledog on 11/23/05 at 12:53 am

So don't act as if everytime you hear "The Biggest Loser", you don't think about the term Big Loser

It does have a double meaning, but that doesn't apply to the reality show at all.  You still have no idea the meaning behind the show

Written By: TarzSp on 11/23/05 at 12:59 am

It does have a double meaning, but that doesn't apply to the reality show at all.  You still have no idea the meaning behind the show

I know the "meaning" of the show, I'm just saying that the creators obviously had the term "Big Loser" on their minds after creating the name of the show.  They didn't mean it that way, but they knew that people would see the term in two different lights. and one is implying that Fat, Lazy people are Big Losers.  They knew they could get away with calling it that though because they say that "The Biggest Loser" is supposed to mean something else, but in reality, everyone knows the double meaning behind it and it was done intentionally out of humor, and alot of people would find it funny

Me on the other hand, doesen't find it funny because I don't like it when others make fun of Overweight people.  But I seem to be the only person in the world who feels this way

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/23/05 at 1:15 am

The "E" show is no more.

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 11/23/05 at 6:11 am

I agree with TarzSp.  I think the show is meanspirited to fat people and "Biggest Loser" is just a play on words that still brings about a certain conotation.

Written By: Barefoot_Blues on 11/23/05 at 10:52 am

I like this show. Those people came there for HELP. Now they are learning how to exercise correctly, eat the right foods, and make the right choices. The people on that show are not LOSERS in life. They are professional people who just have a weight problem.

Why can't people watch a show and take it for what it is , instead of trying to make it some conspiracy for people to laugh at fat people. 

If ya don't like reality shows then don't watch them. But to attack members for liking something and trying to cause a big fight on a thread is stupid. ::) If ya don't like what the person posted, don't respond to it.

Written By: TarzSp on 11/23/05 at 2:39 pm

But to attack members for liking something and trying to cause a big fight on a thread is stupid

I didn't "attack" anyone

If ya don't like what the person posted, don't respond to it.

I should say the same to you

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/23/05 at 4:00 pm

ok....once again...

I like to watch the show (even though some of you think I am cold-hearted, making fun of overweight people, or a loser myself for watching a show of this caliber).  The reason that I enjoy watching the show is: I like to see different ways that people lose weight, and even though I don't know any of these people personally...I sort of feel proud for each one of them for all of their accomplishments.  They all look great and they have learned a new way of living.  Like I said before, I think that it would be a GREAT chance of a lifetime to be able to do what these people were able to do...and there were many others that would have jumped at the opportunity to have the chance to do something like this as well, as thousands of people sent in audition tapes for the show.

I find nothing wrong with watching the show, and of course you are always going to find some jerk that watches it for the wrong reason (ie. to make fun of overweight people), but I really don't think that the majority of the world is watching it to make fun...that wasn't the intent of the show.  As for people on the show making fun, I will tell you that I have watched all of the episodes and I never saw anyone making fun of any of the contestants....they push them, yes...they motivate them, yes...but they don't make fun of them at all.

Have you watched any of the episodes at all or are you just spouting off about something that you know really nothing about?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/23/05 at 6:54 pm

As a large-size person, I find the fact that a show like this is on TV as absolutely degrading IMO. Why make light of someone struggling with a real weight problem? It's disgusting, especially in a society soooo obsessed with 'thin is pretty, fat is ugly' boy I hear all the nasty slurs and comments, it's horrible that this anti-fat attitude is so prevalent.

And yes I am dealing with my weight problem.

Written By: Dagwood on 11/23/05 at 9:07 pm

ok....once again...

I like to watch the show (even though some of you think I am cold-hearted, making fun of overweight people, or a loser myself for watching a show of this caliber).

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/23/05 at 9:28 pm

I'm with you, Quirk.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/23/05 at 9:58 pm

I agree with TarzSp.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 11/24/05 at 11:17 am

Tarzsp, You wouldn't happen to be in this crowd of people, would you..?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/bobbymcgee/CCand6th7in.jpg

Written By: TarzSp on 11/24/05 at 11:31 am

Tarzsp, You wouldn't happen to be in this crowd of people, would you..?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/bobbymcgee/CCand6th7in.jpg

Oh My, You're so Hilarious

Hey Chucky, you see what I mean now? These people think i'm Hitler  ::)

Thanks everyone for ruining my Thanksgiving

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 11/24/05 at 12:09 pm

Oh My, You're so Hilarious

Hey Chucky, you see what I mean now? These people think i'm Hitler

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/24/05 at 2:02 pm

Why I don't agree with it is because I happen to be a compulsive overeater, and it's not all that easy for a recovering  compulsive overeater like myself to just 'go on a diet',there's more to it because for me FOOD IS AN ADDICTION. I don't go out to parties where I know a lot of food will be served...it's avoiding 'people, places, things' which is NOT easy. I have to wonder why some people think that food addiction is an 'excuse', 'not an issue' or that one 'just uses willpower and gets over it' and how many people have a problem with compulsive overeating and don't want to deal with it, it's called being in DENIAL.....

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/08/05 at 12:01 am

Well last week was the finale...and the winner was Matt! All of the contestants looked awesome!!!  I am sure that each of them were thrilled to have such an opportunity!

Written By: Dagwood on 12/08/05 at 9:01 pm

They did look awesome.  Especially Pete...he looked fantastic.  So did Dr. Jeff.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/09/05 at 9:54 am

They did look awesome.

Written By: Dagwood on 12/09/05 at 9:46 pm

OMG...I know! Pete looked like an entirely different person!! :o

He totally deserved the $100,000 prize. 

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/09/05 at 10:33 pm

He totally deserved the $100,000 prize.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/10/05 at 12:44 am

I'm happy the contestants were able to lose the weight...now comes the hard part, which in my case, is keeping the pounds off...while not losing one's mind because your friend tries to tempt you with something fattening that's a no-no....

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/10/05 at 3:13 pm

I'm happy the contestants were able to lose the weight...now comes the hard part, which in my case, is keeping the pounds off...while not losing one's mind because your friend tries to tempt you with something fattening that's a no-no....

I know it is a very difficult thing to keep weight off, as I have lost a bunch and gained a bunch back.....however, I think if I ended up looking like the contestants did....I would try everything in my power to remain looking fit.

Written By: Dagwood on 12/10/05 at 4:13 pm

Same here, Erin. :)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/10/05 at 5:27 pm

Honestly, I have to deal with people who don't understand anything about food addiction or eating disorders..like some very uninformed folks out there, who don't know anything about mental health issues or addictions issues,those whose mental health education consists of watching that Dr. Phil dude or reading "Dianetics" which is really a type of "tract" for promotion of Scientology!!

I have lost over 50 lbs. so far...by not following the rules of the Clean Plate Club as well as being active, physically and mentally.

Written By: Dagwood on 12/10/05 at 8:16 pm

Good job, TonyStewart!  Keep up the good work, we're rooting for you. :)  I think knowing what you are up against is half the battle.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/11/05 at 2:39 pm

Yes, keep up the good work! It is not an easy thing to lose weight. I also want to lose a bunch of weight and try to get back into my "skinny" clothes by summer. I have a bunch of exercise tapes that I have started doing again, and my husband is buying me an MP3 player for Christmas, to make it a little easier to go out walking, etc. My problem has never been really overeating, infact, I usually don't eat enough. I have a very slow metabolism and I think once I start a daily exercise again, I will lose the weight like I did before.

Check for new replies or respond here...