inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Like fishing? Then you like killing puppies!

Written By: GWBush2004 on 11/23/05 at 5:07 am

According to PETA's new pamplet/comic book, all fishermen are insane killing-machines.

Subject: Re: Like fishing? Then you like killing puppies!

Written By: danootaandme on 11/23/05 at 6:03 am

According to PETA's new pamplet/comic book, all fishermen are insane killing-machines.  And they're handing them out to children.  It's called: Your Daddy Kills Animals.

http://www.fishinghurts.com/images/150-comic.gif

"Until your daddy learns that it s not fun to kill, keep your doggies and kitties away from him. He's so hooked on killing defenseless animals that they could be next!"

Straight from PETA's own site: http://www.fishinghurts.com/feat-newcomic.asp

Think I'll get a copy to read tomorrow while I wait for the Turkey to cook  ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/23/05 at 10:16 am

::)

Written By: Tia on 11/23/05 at 10:49 am

i remember i went fishing once with my grandfather when i was a little kid and we caught one and i sat and watched in horror as it slowly twitched and suffocated on the floor of the boat.

Written By: whistledog on 11/23/05 at 12:00 pm

Think I'll get a copy to read tomorrow while I wait for the Turkey to cook

Written By: Billy Florio on 11/23/05 at 4:59 pm

PETA makes it so easy sometimes

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/23/05 at 6:44 pm

I wonder if Comcast Sux knows about this PETA propaganda..since when did some guy who goes fishing turn into a puppy killer?

Man, PETA are really off their rocker since they are spouting this propaganda...I support stuff like spay/neuter clinics, adoption of pets from shelters(Tika is a kitty I adopted from the county shelter), and no-kill shelters..but I still think PETA is a bit extreme...

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/23/05 at 7:05 pm

I agree.... They do go to the extremes at times.  ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/23/05 at 7:06 pm

PETA doesn't understand the special bonding that takes place the first time a father and son go on a camping weekend to kill puppies!

Written By: saver on 11/23/05 at 8:37 pm

PETA are just loudmouths looking for attention...guess what:

Meat diet boosts kids' growth
Michael Hopkin 
Bringing up children as vegans is unethical, claims nutritionist. 

Meat contains important micronutrients.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 11/23/05 at 11:05 pm

Meat contains important micronutrients.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 11/23/05 at 11:07 pm

Any parent that forces veganism on their child is guilty of child abuse, in my opinion.
...and deprivation!

Not allowing your kids to feast on this is wrong (unless, for medical reasons or whatever they can't have it):
http://www.northstarbison.pointshop.com/ImgUpload/P_195051_297179.jpg

:D

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 11/24/05 at 12:00 am

[quote author=

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 11/24/05 at 3:13 am

In seriousness, I think it's crazy comparing a fish to a human or even a puppy. A puppy has much more feelings and the like than a fish. Hence why it's a felony to kill a puppy and not a fish.  ::)

I do beleive in controlled fishing, however... as I'm sure people 50, or 100 years from now would like to eat and enjoy seafood.  :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/24/05 at 3:32 am

[quote author=

Written By: GWBush2004 on 11/24/05 at 4:25 am

Some PETA cranks won't even take antibiotics.

Are you sure about that?

"Kill it and grill it." -Ted Nugent.

Written By: annonymouse on 11/24/05 at 9:08 am

I wonder if Comcast Sux knows about this PETA propaganda..since when did some guy who goes fishing turn into a puppy killer?

Man, PETA are really off their rocker since they are spouting this propaganda...I support stuff like spay/neuter clinics, adoption of pets from shelters(Tika is a kitty I adopted from the county shelter), and no-kill shelters..but I still think PETA is a bit extreme...

poor puppies must get neuterd    :\'(    :\'(    :\'(

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/24/05 at 11:09 am

Any parent that forces veganism on their child is guilty of child abuse, in my opinion.
There's a trial going on, it's been on CourtTV, about parents that starved their 6 month old daughter to death. How? by giving the baby only an uncooked organic vegan diet! Stuff like wheat-grass juice and coconut stuff...

I wonder if the Andressohn's are PETA nuts!!

Written By: Tia on 11/24/05 at 1:44 pm

dag! peta sure isn't too popular these days! a lot of their tactics ARE pretty obnoxious and i imagine a lot of peta folks are probably annoying to be around -- they don't seem to have much of a sense of humor -- but then again, they DO have a point that animals get treated very brutally in slaughterhouses and such. you know, clubbed, then hung upside down and having their throats slit till they bleed to death. pretty horrifying stuff.

of course, i say this while eating a meat lasagna so you know... just playing devil's advocate. again. i don't seem to be able to resist.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/24/05 at 5:06 pm

Happy Thanksgiving, PETA crazies...And BTW just because people go fishing does not mean they do sadistic acts like drown COMPANION animals.

As I said before, I support free/low cost spay/neuter clinics, shelter adoption over buying from pet shops, and no-kill shelters, there is one in Ocean City.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 11/25/05 at 3:50 am

Think I'll get a copy to read tomorrow while I wait for the Turkey to cook

Written By: Tia on 11/25/05 at 4:21 am

i sorta like the custom of eating scads of mac and cheese for thanksgiving. tastes better too, and you're not killing a turkey.

i think ima go veggie. you know, start throwing paint at anyone wearing a fur coat, dress up like a pig and handcuff myself to hot dog stands, you know, the whole nine yards. :D

actually my mom always used to go up to strangers wearing fur coats and scold em. omg, it was embarrassing.  :-[

Written By: Miss PIXIE on 11/25/05 at 4:24 am

i sorta like the custom of eating scads of mac and cheese for thanksgiving. tastes better too, and you're not killing a turkey.

i think ima go veggie. you know, start throwing paint at anyone wearing a fur coat, dress up like a pig and handcuff myself to hot dog stands, you know, the whole nine yards. :D

actually my mom always used to go up to strangers wearing fur coats and scold em. omg, it was embarrassing.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/25/05 at 9:28 am

I like eating turkey for Thanksgiving, they are yummy.....

Written By: Mushroom on 11/25/05 at 10:09 am

i remember i went fishing once with my grandfather when i was a little kid and we caught one and i sat and watched in horror as it slowly twitched and suffocated on the floor of the boat.

That's why whenever we went fishing, we brought along a billy club.  A few whacks upside the head, and you no longer have to worry about that.  We either used that or a "stringer", so they could stay alive in the water until we were ready to go.

dag! peta sure isn't too popular these days! a lot of their tactics ARE pretty obnoxious and i imagine a lot of peta folks are probably annoying to be around -- they don't seem to have much of a sense of humor -- but then again, they DO have a point that animals get treated very brutally in slaughterhouses and such. you know, clubbed, then hung upside down and having their throats slit till they bleed to death. pretty horrifying stuff.

of course, i say this while eating a meat lasagna so you know... just playing devil's advocate. again. i don't seem to be able to resist.

PETA is nothing but a bunch of nutcase hyprcrites.  Did you hear anything earlier in the year, about their own pet adoption program?

http://www.fbresearch.org/Deathvan/timeline.htm

IN short, they had groups from all over the country who would go to shelters and pick up animals, claiming that they would find homes for them.  In reality, they were illegally killing them, often within minutes of leaving the shelter!  A great many shelters nationwide are now forbidden from allowing PETA to even adopt animals from their shelters.

Of course, it does not help that they also openly support terrorist groups like ELF.

Written By: Tia on 11/25/05 at 10:19 am

yeah, i'm not really a big peta advocate. i figure their tactics probably do disservice to the cause, in all honesty. i know slaughterhouse conditions are tangential at best to the issue about fishing but they really are quite horrific.

anyway, i think the problem is fundamentalism, in the sense of being essentially convinced of your own rightness. and that's the thing with peta, just like with a lot of extremists of whatever stripe -- it's impossible to have a conversation with a peta-er oftentimes without their freaking out and coming down on ya. and a lot of born-agains are the same way.

having said that, i'm not sure i've ever even actually met a member of peta. i'm sure i must have met a couple in college but i didn't know who they were. i smoked back in those days and i was walking to class one time and i flicked a butt on the ground and this one woman points at me and starts howling "not biodegradable! not biodegradable!" it was freaky, sorta like a scene outta invasion of the body snatchers. i imagine she was probably a peta-er, as well as, you know, maybe a member of the weathermen.

(i mean "weatherpeople"! sorry!)

Written By: Mushroom on 11/25/05 at 11:04 am

having said that, i'm not sure i've ever even actually met a member of peta. i'm sure i must have met a couple in college but i didn't know who they were. i smoked back in those days and i was walking to class one time and i flicked a butt on the ground and this one woman points at me and starts howling "not biodegradable! not biodegradable!" it was freaky, sorta like a scene outta invasion of the body snatchers. i imagine she was probably a peta-er, as well as, you know, maybe a member of the weathermen.

In California, you can't help but to run into them from time to time.  Among a lot of the Hollyweird "in crowd", it is a popular thing to belong to PETA.

Back in the early 1990's, I belonged to a local BBS in the LA area.  (for those that do not know, BBS is what we did with our computers and modems to chat before there was an Internet).  We had one joker who called himself "Ban Meat".  He would constantly be giving sermons in the open rooms, telling us all about how meat and leather and even owning pets is cruelty.

My fiancee used to love baiting him.  When he got around to talking about how evil Milk is, she asked him if she should breastfeed when our son was born.  He said "Of course not!  Soy formula is better for babies."  And since this BBS was fairly liberal, there were a lot of mothers who believed in doing things "naturally".  You should have seen the mothers pouncing on him at that point.  They would be posting quotes from La Leche League, and even posts from the Formula companies themselves, stating that Natural is best, Milk based formula is good, and Soy is only to be used if the baby can't digest anything else.

But he was so sure he was right, nothing could convince him.  And I agree with you about fundamentalists.  I myself use the term "extreemist", because not all fundamentalists try to force their views on others.

And remind me to tell you all someday about the Toyota Camery XLE V-6 I saw on the LA freeway, which was covered with PETA, "Meat Is Dead" and almost every other nutcase bumpersticker on it.  And no, the owner did not replace the seats, so she was driving around with her posterior resting on leather.    :D

Written By: snozberries on 11/25/05 at 11:56 am

after you read the comic you can play the "free the fur from J-Lo" game....

http://www.furisdead.com/feat-monsterinfur.asp

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/25/05 at 6:43 pm

I could care less about J.Lo.  ;D

Written By: Skippy on 11/25/05 at 7:20 pm

meh, just replace "puppy" with "yuppie" and everyone, even PETA, will be happy.  ;D

Written By: GWBush2004 on 11/25/05 at 9:43 pm

I like eating turkey for Thanksgiving....

I thought thanksgiving was an American holiday.

Written By: PETER on 11/25/05 at 10:11 pm

After reading a separate topic post on Edward Furlong (actor) being arrested for letting lobsters in a grocery store tank loose to run around IN THE STORE...he claims to be PETA friendly and although in a drunk stupor doing what he did...DID YOU HEAR PETA DENOUNCE HIM OR WHAT HE DID??

They'll take anyone and not criticize when the actions are perspammersite!!

Written By: Tia on 11/25/05 at 10:23 pm

okay, wait, so now i'm cornered into sticking up for peta again. i mean, okay, yes, like, they're obnoxious, but are they really obligated to disassociate themselves from every drunk who liberates supermarket lobsters in their name? particularly if he's doing it strictly freelance? if i go out tomorrow and start doing all this pro-NAMBLA stuff, and i attribute it to the ACLU just because they defended NAMBLA that one time, do they have to drop everything and convene a press conference to explicitly and specifically disavow all knowledge of me? for that matter, if i go on a shooting spree and tell everybody the NRA made me do it, is it up to them to explicitly point out that i'm full of bullfeathers? i rather think not!

dag.

Written By: PETER on 11/25/05 at 10:31 pm

okay, wait, so now i'm cornered into sticking up for peta again. i mean, okay, yes, like, they're obnoxious, but are they really obligated to disassociate themselves from every drunk who liberates supermarket lobsters in their name? particularly if he's doing it strictly freelance? if i go out tomorrow and start doing all this pro-NAMBLA stuff, and i attribute it to the ACLU just because they defended NAMBLA that one time, do they have to drop everything and convene a press conference to explicitly and specifically disavow all knowledge of me? for that matter, if i go on a shooting spree and tell everybody the NRA made me do it, is it up to them to explicitly point out that i'm full of bullfeathers? i rather think not!

dag.

Don't you think you'd be associated with the company you keep...? Actually, ACLU is fighting for the guy's rights rather than NAMBLA'S cause from what I last heard..

But even PETA didn't denounce the one drunks actions, but when he may show up somewhere in corncob shoes made of none leather, they'll be taking pictures and quoting him til the sun comes up.

Written By: Tia on 11/25/05 at 10:38 pm

well, we'll have to disagree, i guess, but i like this mental image of drunks liberating supermarket lobsters. i'm picturing him staggering around trying to push em on the rumps and get em motivated. lobsters don't exactly leap like gazelles, ya know? :D

Written By: GWBush2004 on 11/26/05 at 4:36 am

Actually, ACLU is fighting for the guy's rights.....

Yeah, a guy's "right" to have sex with a ten year-old boy.

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/26/05 at 8:56 am

I personally don't agree with fishing for fun, but I do think if you have to fish to survive, it's your right. Same with killing puppies. It's our nature. Eat what you need to survive.

And uh... yeah... I'm not sure if anyone wants to eat puppies, but...

Written By: Mushroom on 11/26/05 at 10:11 am

I personally don't agree with fishing for fun, but I do think if you have to fish to survive, it's your right. Same with killing puppies. It's our nature. Eat what you need to survive.

And uh... yeah... I'm not sure if anyone wants to eat puppies, but...

Actually, most people fish for enjoyment.  And a lot of them also follow "catch and release" rules.  In other words, if they are not going to eat it, they let it go again.  I have spent many hours fishing, with no intention of keeping what I caught.  And if the fish is out of season, endangered, to large, or to small you have to release it anyways.

Plus you will find a lot of the fish that people catch are not available in other ways.  I have never found pearch, sunfish, coho salmon, or brown trout in a fish market.

And yes, people do eat puppies.  It is not uncommon in Korea or China.  And in pre-columbian Mexico it was also quite common.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/26/05 at 2:25 pm

Yeah, a guy's "right" to have sex with a ten year-old boy.

The ACLU doesn't support that...they do support a guy's right to talk about it.  It's awful and disgusting, but not unconstitutional.
:P

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/26/05 at 3:11 pm

We had Thanksgiving in Canada, last October, on the 10th.  It's celebrated every October, on the second Monday.

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/26/05 at 3:32 pm

Bass, the greatest tasting fish (besides trout, corvina, tuna (dolphin free), pan fish, cat fish...)  And speaking of cats (and Cat), the other white meat, tastes just like chicken (well, not Cat).  And, there is nothing like puppy dogs fricasee, so tender and juicy.

YUMMY YUM YUM

Written By: Tia on 11/26/05 at 3:55 pm

don carlos! yer scarin' me! and that's not easy! :D

tell me you haven't eaten cat.

er, feline.

Written By: guest on 11/26/05 at 3:56 pm

Bass, the greatest tasting fish (besides trout, corvina, tuna (dolphin free), pan fish, cat fish...)

Written By: Tia on 11/26/05 at 3:59 pm

pelican sounds good, actually. 8)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/26/05 at 6:42 pm

There is always Nemo.

http://static.flickr.com/1/326669_210e26555a_m.jpg

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 11/26/05 at 6:58 pm

There is always Nemo.

http://static.flickr.com/1/326669_210e26555a_m.jpg

Cat

;D TOO FUNNY!!!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/26/05 at 9:41 pm

If I had a paintball gun...I'd take it to a PETA rally....and give 'em a taste of their own medicine. When I read on another website about PETA's Death Van..it sickened me. Yeah, PETA people killing animals. Note to PETA nuts: You don't all practice what you preach, you are a bunch of HYPOCRITES!

Written By: Apricot on 11/26/05 at 10:03 pm

Ah, I do love how ridiculous propaganda can really be sometimes..

Written By: Apricot on 11/26/05 at 10:03 pm

If I had a paintball gun...I'd take it to a PETA rally....and give 'em a taste of their own medicine. When I read on another website about PETA's Death Van..it sickened me. Yeah, PETA people killing animals. Note to PETA nuts: You don't all practice what you preach, you are a bunch of HYPOCRITES!

They're probably not all like that.. I don't agree with them, but they have a good intent.. it's just that some of their leading voices and powers are either corrupt or taking it too far.

Written By: saver on 11/26/05 at 10:24 pm

Pelican is mmm good but that flap under the bill is a little chewy...I love flamingo..there is a lot of neck to go around!! :D :D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/26/05 at 10:28 pm

http://lescahiersduburger.free.fr/Burgers/mc-filet-o-fish.jpg

Would this be a Nemo Burger then?  ;D

Written By: saver on 11/26/05 at 10:34 pm

http://lescahiersduburger.free.fr/Burgers/mc-filet-o-fish.jpg

Would this be a Nemo Burger then?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/26/05 at 10:38 pm

Is it Soylent Green then?  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/27/05 at 2:41 am

Dead puppies aren't much fun....

Written By: witchain on 12/07/05 at 2:57 pm

PETA is a disgrace to themselves. I have read this thread and wonder just how much influence they have on America. I actually have a poster of that comic book cover hanging on my wall. Why?
I think it's hilarious!!!
We are animals just like fish and puppies are. A lot of fish are cannibals. Dogs and cats? Hell, they kill every day, both for pleasure and for nourishment.
I hunt and fish, and as a omnivorous mammal I find it a completely natural thing to do. I am a conservationist, not a preservationist. I can and will fish for fun if I want!
These psychopathic eco-terrorists can kiss my ass.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/07/05 at 7:27 pm

Sharks (all though not fish) eat fish to survive, what does PETA say about that?  ::)

Written By: witchain on 12/07/05 at 7:34 pm

Sharks (all though not fish) eat fish to survive...

Actually sharks are fish with a skeleton made of cartilage instead of bone.

A lot of fish are cannibals.

Almost all fish are carnivorous!
Some whales (which are mammals) eat fish too!

This whole PETA BS is irrational and obviously gets under my skin...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/07/05 at 8:25 pm

Sharks (all though not fish) eat fish to survive, what does PETA say about that?

Written By: Skippy on 12/07/05 at 9:50 pm

Eating raw vegetables is Murder !!!!!  :\'( :\'( :-\\

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/08/05 at 2:12 am

Eating raw vegetables is Murder !!!!!

Written By: SAM-Indonesia on 12/08/05 at 3:31 am

I think as long as that is good for our health. As long as that is for survival necessity, we all may eat fish, raw vegetables, eggs, meats and fruits. PETA may be would like to suggest that we shouldn't take it for granted. If you think fruits enough for your daily meal so you will have avocado juice or apple juice in your home. This is interesting and serious we should be more realistic to talk about it. Anyone?

Written By: karen on 12/08/05 at 3:45 am

PETA, like most vegetarians, claim with some evidence that the human digestive system was not designed to process meat.

Written By: zotsfreak on 12/08/05 at 9:21 am

Want to hear something really funny. There

Written By: Mushroom on 12/09/05 at 9:19 am

Bass, the greatest tasting fish (besides trout, corvina, tuna (dolphin free), pan fish, cat fish...)

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 12/09/05 at 9:54 am

I like fishing with puppies. I've caught some monster muskies when I use them as bait.  :D

Written By: Tia on 12/09/05 at 10:44 am

I like fishing with puppies. I've caught some monster muskies when I use them as bait.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/09/05 at 12:35 pm

One of my son's friends caught a catfish with a Krispy Kreme donut ;D

Now see, you should have posted that sooner.  The two Krispy Kremes up here just closed their doors
after a dismal year and a half.  If the fisherman up here knew that Krispy Kreme was good chum they
would have stayed around longer.

Written By: Tia on 12/09/05 at 12:39 pm

Now see, you should have posted that sooner.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/09/05 at 2:44 pm

Except that there are some nutrients that we can more easily obtain from meat, such as iron.

My point is, no matter how cruelty-free PC you think your diet is, there's always some self-righteous sandal-wearing carrot juice-drinker who will one-up you!  You can't win!

Written By: Miss PIXIE on 01/07/06 at 4:30 am

Except that there are some nutrients that we can more easily obtain from meat, such as iron.

..or brocolli and other greens  ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/07/06 at 5:46 pm

There are some people who cannot eat certain vegetables. Why? They have trouble digesting them. I rarely eat beans because they have given me digestive trouble...I do eat meat though, and drink chocolate milk made with Lactaid milk...PETA can take their agenda and stick it somewhere not nice to mention IMO!

PETA says it's even cruel to keep land hermit crabs as pets. I should E-mail PETA and tell 'em I had two terrariums of well-cared-for land hermit crabs!

Written By: loki 13 on 01/07/06 at 6:10 pm

I wonder about PETA's self-righteous outlook on things.They want you to
have a vegan diet because of cruelty to animals.Vegetables are living,breathing
organisms.What makes a cows life any more sacred than a plants life?They see
no problem in murdering a tomato but leave the cow alone.Further more,a cow
passes gas quite often which releases methane gas that is dangerous to the ozone,
causing global warming.A plant exudes oxygen,which I breath.So,by eating a cow I
am saving valueable ozone.Just trying to do my part.

Written By: w on 01/08/06 at 11:57 am

I can understand someone's being against just about anything if they don't do it or use it themselves. But I can never understand people who are against (sport)  killing of animals, if they're used for food as well,and if these same people eat meat or fish or use leather products. They're supporting methods that are much less humane then hunting or fishing, at least my prey has a chance to run away. My beef whom I've feed and cared for all it's life is now my food.  Now that, when you think about it,  is cruel. Much of life is.  W.

Written By: MissPixie on 01/08/06 at 12:01 pm

I wonder about PETA's self-righteous outlook on things.They want you to
have a vegan diet because of cruelty to animals.Vegetables are living,breathing
organisms.What makes a cows life any more sacred than a plants life?They see
no problem in murdering a tomato but leave the cow alone.Further more,a cow
passes gas quite often which releases methane gas that is dangerous to the ozone,
causing global warming.A plant exudes oxygen,which I breath.So,by eating a cow I
am saving valueable ozone.Just trying to do my part.

HAHAHAHA!! I've heard it all now   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  

Written By: witchain on 01/08/06 at 4:14 pm

Here is a little documentary by Penn and Teller.
Take it with a proverbial grain of salt, but there is some truth to it.
There is some racy language. Be warned!  :)

http://www.thatvideosite.com/view/709.html

Check for new replies or respond here...