inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Tired of Mariah Carey

Written By: ... on 11/27/05 at 2:01 am

Why does Mariah Carey suddenly get all this success?  She has a great voice, but sells outs and wastes it, falls out of favor for 4 years, and puts out the weak track "We Belong Together" and suddenly is the hottest thing out there AGAIN - sending us back ten years when music was finally starting to progress. 

Will music ever go into a new stage?  Will people ever give up this pop/rap/R&B crap?

Grrr. :)

Subject: Re: Tired of Mariah Carey

Written By: whistledog on 11/27/05 at 2:10 am

I don't quite understand the hype over 'We Belong Together'.  I can see how it became a hit, but I don't see how it took the top spot on Billboard for 14 weeks  :-\\

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/27/05 at 2:30 am

I was sick of her fifteen years ago!
::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/27/05 at 6:01 am

Why does Mariah Carey suddenly get all this success?

Written By: Apricot on 11/27/05 at 10:36 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: Apricot on 11/27/05 at 10:36 am

It has a certain characteristic of most chart-toppers with staying power: It's not that great of a song, but it's hard to genuinely dislike.

That's how Three Doors Down has kept up so long.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/27/05 at 1:49 pm

I got tired of her when Glitter came out...  ::)

Written By: woops on 11/27/05 at 3:10 pm

I didn't even know she was still around  ::)

Written By: whistledog on 11/27/05 at 3:11 pm

I love how the press made a big deal about the AMA's.  She was nominated for all the major awards, but only took home one, just like back in 1997.  What makes her so special that she's expected to sweep all the awards?  ::)

Written By: ... on 11/27/05 at 3:50 pm

"As Erin Broclovich would say... "They're called boobs".    ;D"

I'd have to disagree.  Most of Mariah's fans are women/girls.

As to her hugely successful "comeback", I suspect that the airplay stations give her artificially boost her popularity.
But then again, 4x Platinum  :-\\

Does anyone agree with me that "We Belong Together" is the reason Gwen Stefani's "Cool" flopped after the success of "Hollaback Girl"?

Written By: whistledog on 11/27/05 at 3:59 pm

"As Erin Broclovich would say... "They're called boobs".

Written By: EveHarrington79 on 11/27/05 at 7:02 pm

Mariah is one of my all-time favorite singers, but I do agree her latest song is very blah. She needs to go back to her 'Emotions' era style.

Written By: Dagwood on 11/27/05 at 8:36 pm

I was sick of her fifteen years ago!
::)

What he said.

Written By: bbigd04 on 11/28/05 at 1:38 pm

I like Mariah, at least she can sing unlike a lot of artists out there nowadays. We Belong Together is a great song, I mean compare it to the 2 previous No. 1's- "Candy Shop" and "Hollaback Girl", lol. I did grow tired of it after awhile though. Mariah's earlier songs are better.

Written By: Cafe80s on 12/04/05 at 7:51 am

She irritated me from day one. She is so dumb that to say she is dumb would be an understatment. She was once quoted as saying  something about Ethiopians like "i'd like to be that skinny, just without all the flies n stuff" Honestly record labels must screen their candidates for the lowest possible IQ & possible mental retardation  & when they find one a pop star is born.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/04/05 at 8:15 am

Irritation is not the word here

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/04/05 at 5:00 pm

That's how Three Doors Down has kept up so long.
I think Three Doors Down are way cool.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/04/05 at 5:03 pm

Natalie Merchant, Aretha Franklin, k.d.lang, Carole King, Deniece Williams...just a few of the female singers that are way BETTER than overrated Mariah!

Written By: FelineFrenzy on 12/04/05 at 8:23 pm

Mariah Carey is just AWFUL!

I was hoping this last album would fail, but I guess not.  We probably have to endure ANOTHER year of her shriking voice!

What kinds of people listen to that crap anyway??

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/04/05 at 8:55 pm

Mariah Carey is just AWFUL!

I was hoping this last album would fail, but I guess not.

Written By: robby76 on 12/04/05 at 8:57 pm

The new Mariah or any Mariah post early 90's is tired! "We Belong Together" is an obvious rip of Freak Me. And as for "Shake it off" I won't even go there. Bland, bland, bland music. Just like the whole rap/ rnb genre. Heard it all before and they now simply merge into one.

Compare a 90's Mariah concert per se... she had some upbeat hits which would've got you going, but can you imagine a 2000's concert... "We Belong Together" would put the crowd to sleep. Thing is Mariah must know the songs no good... if we know, believe me, she knows!

Written By: FelineFrenzy on 12/04/05 at 9:17 pm

My tortie cat Tika sounds better than Mariah Scarey!

;D ;D  I bet you she does. ;)

Written By: woops on 12/05/05 at 2:02 am

I prefer Deborah Gibson over Mariah Carey, may not have the greatest voice...but atleast it's more pleasing to the ear.

Not to mention one of the most underrated artists of the last 25 years because most people are only familiar with her as the '80's pop princess.

Check for new replies or respond here...