inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When and why have cats started to become more popular than dogs as pets?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/27/05 at 6:19 pm

I'm just wondering when cats started to become more popular than dogs when people choose a pet..and possible reasons why?

I like cats best, because they are gentle, soft, friendly, easy to care for..and I love their CATTITUDE!

Tika is very sweet, and very caring..she knows when I'm having a bad time..and she comes and stays by me, letting me pet her..purring all the while.

Subject: Re: When and why have cats started to become more popular than dogs as pets?

Written By: Apricot on 11/27/05 at 6:39 pm

I never noticed cats becoming more popular than dogs... I know a lot of people who like them, but I thought dogs held more general popularity...

Subject: Re: When and why have cats started to become more popular than dogs as pets?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/27/05 at 7:11 pm

There have been recent books and studies that suggest that cats are now more popular. One of the reasons stated is because people are becoming more 'urbanized', spending more time at work or away from home, and the cat suits their lifestyle better.

One thing I know about dogs..they don't always adjust to being alone for the day..unless one is willing to 'crate train' a dog. It's not always financially feasible for someone to hire a dog walker either, for when the owner is at work or away.

And some dogs will tear up the house when left alone unless they are crate trained. Not usually a problem with a cat.

I have a cat because IMO they are gentler and more calm...as well as their unique personality aka cattitude!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/27/05 at 7:31 pm

I think you've got it.  Cats are lower maintenance.  That doesn't mean "low" maintenance!  The way some people look after their cats is d*mn disgrace!  If you want a low maintenance pet, get a pet rock!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/27/05 at 7:43 pm

Actually, I spoil Tika. She's a true friend. I don't think some people realize what they are getting into when they take a puppy or kitten into their home. It's better to plan for getting a pet BEFORE actually getting one. And if you adopt from a shelter the spay/neuter fee is included in the adoption fee..which is reasonable. And shelter adoption is the responsible thing to do. But if you GOTTA have a purebred dog or cat BUY FROM A REPUTABLE BREEDER. Why? You get a healthy,well-adjusted, quality pet! And pet shops sometimes get their dogs from puppy mills where dogs are bred for PROFIT alone with no attention paid to the animal's health or living quarters!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/28/05 at 3:34 pm

I like both cats and dogs.

Written By: whistledog on 11/28/05 at 3:44 pm

I prefer Cats over Dogs, but I also love dogs too.

I'm not a real big fan of pit bulls though.  They've been bannedhere in Ontario because they have a reputation for being vicious.  I still don't think that is fair

Written By: Apricot on 11/29/05 at 10:13 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/29/05 at 11:36 am

I have always liked cats more than dogs...I like their attitude, the fact that they are more independent, and their overall demeanor.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/29/05 at 6:24 pm

I like both cats and dogs.

I love cats and dogs equally for different reasons.
I'm not a big fan of pit bulls no matter what they say, though I do believe there are no bad dogs, only bad owners!

Written By: owner on 11/29/05 at 7:02 pm

People should not stereotype.  Some cats are sweet, and some are mean.  Same with dogs.  I just don't like that dogs slobber and have to be walked twice a day, which is hard in the city.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/29/05 at 7:42 pm

I have always liked cats more than dogs...I like their attitude, the fact that they are more independent, and their overall demeanor.
I love cats...because they're a lot like people! They even hate going to the vet, like some of us hate going to the doctor...of course we don't get crammed in a carrier like a cat does!

Tika sounds absolutely WOEFUL when she's put in a carrier..."Woe is me! I'm going to the vet..and I might get a shot! Woe is me!" That's what Tika's 'carrier serenade' sounds like!

Written By: wsmith4 on 12/01/05 at 9:43 am

i hate cats. they're sneaky and unloving. they're loners. there have been many times i was petting a cat when it just decided to bit me for no reason.  i love dogs, they are true blue companions and love unconditionally, plus they're a million times cuter.

Written By: Watcher29 on 12/01/05 at 4:00 pm

I think it is because cats are generally smaller and easier to take care of in urban areas than anything negative about dogs. I have both; I actually like the dog better but I end up spending more time around the cats.

Written By: STAR70 on 12/01/05 at 5:10 pm

cats are a chick thing

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 12/01/05 at 5:12 pm

cats are a chick thing
I disagree.

I'm a male and can't stand dogs.

But love cats!

Does that make me a chick?

Written By: gemini on 12/01/05 at 5:38 pm

cats are a chick thing

Not this chick! I'm allergic  :( 

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/01/05 at 8:51 pm

i hate cats. they're sneaky and unloving. they're loners. there have been many times i was petting a cat when it just decided to bit me for no reason.

Written By: wsmith4 on 12/02/05 at 8:50 am

ok you're right.. i'm sure there are a few decent cats out there...  hahahahahahahahaahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
hahahaha

ahhahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaa
hahahahahhaahahahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Written By: Mushroom on 12/02/05 at 4:51 pm

I am a guy, and I prefer cats as well.

Cats are cleaner, and more self-sufficient.

No matter how well you train your dog, they will go to the bathroom largely wherever they want to.  Cats are born with the instinct to use a litter box.  You can go to work and return 9 hours later, and not have to clean up any messes.  And they will not tear up the house simply because they are bored.

And you can simply let them outside, and they will wander around wherever they want, and return when they want to.  With a dog, you have to tie them up, or put up a fence to keep them close to home.

Written By: Watcher29 on 12/02/05 at 4:53 pm

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/02/05 at 5:05 pm

ok you're right.. i'm sure there are a few decent cats out there...

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/02/05 at 5:18 pm

I honestly think what makes SOME dogs and cats mean is the way they are RAISED as puppies and kittens. Some people think it's perfectly OKAY to 'tease' a cat or dog or raise a dog 'to make 'em mean' like some ignorant nutjobs do!
I think people who TEASE creatures more than a few times need serious COUNSELING. Why...because some people 'act out' what they are feeling (anger, abuse, frustration) on a dog or cat they THINK is 'harmless' and 'has no emotions or feelings'....

On the other hand people who DELIBERATELY set out to make creatures 'mean' for illegal fighting should be put in THE BIG HOUSE..for a long time, at least ten YEARS...which they should spend mucking out horse stalls....

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/02/05 at 8:48 pm

Except for their frequent barfing, you'd be right.
They barf up hairballs to keep their digestive system running smoothly, if they don't do the admittedly gross-out hairball barfing, they'd get intestinal blockage which needs immediate SURGERY to save the cat's life.

So I put up with Tika's upping the hairballs, and clean them up without getting po'ed.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/04/05 at 2:45 am

cats are a chick thing

Oh c'mon that's just a hokey stereotype perpetuated by bad stand-up comics!

Did you see "Meet The Parents"?

Written By: sigmund on 12/05/05 at 12:02 pm

I'm just wondering when cats started to become more popular than dogs when people choose a pet..and possible reasons why?

I like cats best, because they are gentle, soft, friendly, easy to care for..and I love their CATTITUDE!

Tika is very sweet, and very caring..she knows when I'm having a bad time..and she comes and stays by me, letting me pet her..purring all the while.

when I was younger I had a dog, we used to feed him pop tarts and they really made him fart and the smell was really awfull, I mean he could clear a room faster then grandpa after eating a can of pork and beans. you own a cat so my question is does your cat ever fart?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/05/05 at 5:06 pm

when I was younger I had a dog, we used to feed him pop tarts and they really made him fart and the smell was really awfull, I mean he could clear a room faster then grandpa after eating a can of pork and beans. you own a cat so my question is does your cat ever fart?

Look...pop tarts are not dogfood, ok?  Dogs will eat just about anything, because they're omniverous.  Sometimes they make very bad decisions.  Dogs have cohabitated with humans for thirty thousand years, but we've only had processed foods---sh*t like Pop Tarts, for the past 100.  So it's gonna take a little time for dogs to realize they can't just eat anything humans through in front of them.  Cats, on the other hand, are strictly carniverous.  Sometimes cats eat vegetation so they'll puke up something that isn't agreeing with them, but that's about it.  Cats won't eat Pop Tarts.  Well...I'm sure you can find a feline eccentric enough to munch on a Pop Tart, but in general, they'll pass them by.

We've got two cats.  One of them graced me with her purring presence on my bed last night.  First I tried to let her out.  She usually wants to go out around 5:00 or 6:00 a.m., but last night she wanted to hang out with me for a bit first.  So she laid on my chest and purred while I stroked her silky coat.  I was flattered.  After a bit, she wanted to go out and taste the cold morning air and see what she could find in the first rays of sunlight.  I don't begrudge the cats for regarding me as the doorman.  That's cats for ya.  They're completely self interested.  I don't require anything from them and they don't require anything from me.  I let them in and out because they don't have thumbs and can't work the door handles.  Maybe the'd do the same for me if I didn't have thumbs and they did, but probably not.  A cat is not a person.  They only know how to view life in pictures and sensations.  This renders them ultimately selfish .  Can't begrudge them for it, they're physiologically incapable of being any other way.
On the other hand, the requirements for cat loyalty are minimal.  Feed them, take care of them when they're sick, show them a bit of affection now and again, and they'll always come back to you.  Not so with girlfriends.  Of course you cannot have intercourse with cats...or at least you really shouldn't.  It's generally frowned upon!
;D

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/05/05 at 7:57 pm

Nope! Sorry, cats don't fart.

Written By: FelineFrenzy on 12/06/05 at 8:47 pm

I can't believe you fed you dog Pop Tarts! :o

Oh, and don't you think you're a little off topic?  We are talking about how cat's ARE more popular than dogs, not animals farting!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/07/05 at 9:19 pm

I can't believe you fed you dog Pop Tarts! :o

Oh, and don't you think you're a little off topic?

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 12/07/05 at 9:22 pm

Ugh.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/07/05 at 9:27 pm

Ugh.
Why? Are you a cat-hater? Just curious.
I like both dogs and cats, but it's hard, due to my arthritis in both knees, to walk a dog whenever they need to relieve themselves..and in my condo development, they frown on dogs being let out sans a leash, because of the kids that live here.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/07/05 at 9:40 pm

Tropical fish are cool, but they don't give much back to you.  You know, a tigerbarb won't curl up in bed with you when you've got the blues.

Written By: barefootrobin on 12/08/05 at 4:55 pm

I never noticed cats becoming more popular than dogs... I know a lot of people who like them, but I thought dogs held more general popularity...

I never noticed either - What I have noticed is that more people are allergic to cats than dogs ::)

Written By: nally on 12/08/05 at 4:58 pm

I never noticed either - What I have noticed is that more people are allergic to cats than dogs ::)

I'm one of those people. I have been allergic to various cats over the years...sometimes I feel like I'm being stalked by an invisible one.

I'm a dog person. :)

Written By: STAR70 on 12/08/05 at 5:00 pm

I disagree.

I'm a male and can't stand dogs.

But love cats!

Does that make me a chick?

man bites dog

Written By: STAR70 on 12/08/05 at 5:04 pm

Oh c'mon that's just a hokey stereotype perpetuated by bad stand-up comics!

Did you see "Meet The Parents"?

the proliferation of cats' popularity has coincided with "women's lib"
more chicks moving out of mom and dad's house and living alone means more cats.
women compose about 52% of the general population-- thus more cats.

"Meet the parents" is a work of fiction.

Written By: Mistress Leola on 12/08/05 at 6:24 pm

Cat meat tastes better.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/08/05 at 6:36 pm

"Meet the parents" is a work of fiction.
Hey, NASCAR drivers(who are GUYS) have cats, Matt Kenseth and Kevin Harvick are two drivers who are 'owned' by their felines....I think Dale Earnhardt Jr. has a cat also.

And my housemate who is a GUY likes my cat!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/08/05 at 6:38 pm

Cat meat tastes better.
I certainly hope you're joking. I'm not into killing COMPANION animals and eating 'em. This is not China anyways.

Written By: Dagwood on 12/08/05 at 9:05 pm

Why? Are you a cat-hater? Just curious.
I like both dogs and cats, but it's hard, due to my arthritis in both knees, to walk a dog whenever they need to relieve themselves..and in my condo development, they frown on dogs being let out sans a leash, because of the kids that live here.

I am betting Beth was commenting on the "farting" turn this thread took for a moment.

Written By: Mistress Leola on 12/08/05 at 9:38 pm

I certainly hope you're joking. I'm not into killing COMPANION animals and eating 'em. This is not China anyways.

Relax -- I wasn't suggesting that YOU should eat them.  More for me, anyways...

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 12/08/05 at 9:42 pm

Relax -- I wasn't suggesting that YOU should eat them.

Written By: Mistress Leola on 12/08/05 at 10:03 pm

Seriously, most of our rationalizations about what animals 'should' and 'should not' be eaten are entirely arbitrary.  And I have no patience for the intolerance of organizations like the ASPCA who impose their selective, bigoted standards of protection.  I can munch down on Bessie the Cow or Chicken Little, and it's all fine and dandy with them; as far as their concerned, I can even scoop up Sebastian the Crab and boil him alive!  But if dare plunge my knife and fork into widdle Snoopy or Garfield, then suddenly they get all self-righteous on me.  Well, screw 'em, the hypocrites.  My animal, my dinner.

Written By: barefootrobin on 12/09/05 at 9:43 am

I'm having a visual of you being accosted in a dark alley and spanked by a crazed group of Aryan Supremicist Feminists, thus leading to this obssesive animosity toward them.  (for lack of better words) ;D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/09/05 at 1:37 pm

I haven't noticed a big trend in cats overtaking dogs, but I do agree that taking care of a cat takes less effort. Cats are also just less noisy, messy, and demanding of our attention. I know they like attention, but they also like to be off on their own.

My cat of 15 years (yikes!) has always been a very independent cat. She likes to hide out and nap all day long. She's kinda finicky and doesn't like to be held much, but she loves to be outside with me while I wash my car or do gardening/cleaning out the garage, so I enjoy her companionship even though she may not enjoy mine, lol.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/09/05 at 10:28 pm

My cat senses when I'm not feeling well, and gives me extra affection and cuddles when I'm under the weather..like recently when I had to have a cortisone shot in my right knee due to arthritis...I was miserable when I came home from getting the shot, and Tika came up to me and started head-butting me and jumped up on the couch and sat beside me..she actually nuzzled me a couple of times as if she was saying 'it's okay,I love you'.

I know a lot of dogs who are loving like that too. Pets are cool no matter if they are canines or felines.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/10/05 at 5:21 pm

My cat senses when I'm not feeling well, and gives me extra affection and cuddles when I'm under the weather..like recently when I had to have a cortisone shot in my right knee due to arthritis...I was miserable when I came home from getting the shot, and Tika came up to me and started head-butting me and jumped up on the couch and sat beside me..she actually nuzzled me a couple of times as if she was saying 'it's okay,I love you'.

I know a lot of dogs who are loving like that too. Pets are cool no matter if they are canines or felines.

They're cool if they're turtles or hamsters, too. :0)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/10/05 at 6:08 pm

They're cool if they're turtles or hamsters, too. :0)
Add to that small boa constrictors and iguanas. My sister has an iguana she adopted named Drazil(lizard spelled backwards!)...I like to hold boas, many are very docile, and their skin is soft like a leather glove..and pretty..sadly their beautiful skin makes them IMO targets, just for someone's handbag or pair of shoes.

I can understand killing for FOOD or native peoples killing for their own clothing or household goods....not so some Paris Hilton-type can have an expensive pair of snakeskin boots.
But everyone is entitled to their opinion since some people think 'they're just animals, they don't feel pain, they have no feelings."

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/11/05 at 4:39 pm

Add to that small boa constrictors and iguanas. My sister has an iguana she adopted named Drazil(lizard spelled backwards!)...I like to hold boas, many are very docile, and their skin is soft like a leather glove..and pretty..sadly their beautiful skin makes them IMO targets, just for someone's handbag or pair of shoes.

I can understand killing for FOOD or native peoples killing for their own clothing or household goods....not so some Paris Hilton-type can have an expensive pair of snakeskin boots.
But everyone is entitled to their opinion since some people think 'they're just animals, they don't feel pain, they have no feelings."

I love holding certain reptiles or touching them. They are so slinky and slithery and smooth.
About killing for skins and furs, well, if it's done in moderation - then we wouldn't have a problem.

Written By: kellygoo72 on 12/12/05 at 2:02 am

I like them both but both have their own things that make them great.  Cats are so cute and mysterious... I love my kitties but.. a dog is alot of fun to take places and play with.... But I think I will pick Cats.. they dont bark their damn heads off and u dont have to get up to take a leak or chew on everything.. Cats smell better too..... I do love my doggie! ;)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/12/05 at 6:46 pm

Cats smell clean because in their saliva, there is a 'detergent' substance that kills any odors that may be on their fur...
And I've never seen a creature so almost-obsessed with being clean as cats are!

Written By: FelineFrenzy on 12/12/05 at 7:24 pm

Drazil....that's way cute! :)

I love boas!  I want to get one sooo bad.  Do you know if they require a lot of care?  What kinds of needs to they have?  I'm starting college full time soon and I'm afraid I won't have time to take care of anything, more or less myself.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/13/05 at 7:15 pm

Is it weird that I like hearing Tika meow? Someone told me that they find cats' meowing (meaning any type of meowing not just a tomcat's 'song' or a female in heat)annoying..Tika seems to meow differently to my roommate who is hard of hearing..she meows slightly louder to him..

I also notice some cats use different body language with different people they know...

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 12/13/05 at 9:56 pm

I eat cats for breakfast. Rawr.

Written By: jackas on 12/16/05 at 7:50 am

I'll I can say is that you are all a bunch of......a bunch of.......ailurophiles.

Written By: FelineFrenzy on 12/16/05 at 8:00 am

I'll I can say is that you are all a bunch of......a bunch of.......ailurophiles.

You're damn right I am and proud of it!

You seem like a pretty astute and clever person, as well as very likeable ;)

Written By: jackas on 12/16/05 at 8:04 am

You're damn right I am and proud of it!

You seem like a pretty astute and clever person, as well as very likeable ;)

Awwww.....schucks! ;)

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 12/16/05 at 8:33 am

http://www.lockitupoffroad.com/Clubpics/wtf_cat.jpg

Written By: thenewwavechick on 12/16/05 at 9:18 am

http://www.lockitupoffroad.com/Clubpics/wtf_cat.jpg

;D  OMG, that is a cute picture.  :P

I'm a cat and dog person.  I grew up with one cat and three dogs and I love them all.  But if I did get a pet I'd get a cat, because of their low maintence and their independence.  With dogs you need to pay more attention to them.  But I love both of them equally.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/16/05 at 7:29 pm

I like dogs but I love cats. Why? Because of their non-conformist cattitude! And I really would never have time to walk a dog or be home all the time to tend to a dog, because I just got accepted to Atlantic Cape Community College...I start on January 17th.

Written By: jackas on 12/16/05 at 8:56 pm

Hey Beth ^ :D

Written By: YWN on 12/16/05 at 11:19 pm

I like dogs but I love cats. Why? Because of their non-conformist cattitude <-----------------! And I really would never have time to walk a dog or be home all the time to tend to a dog, because I just got accepted to Atlantic Cape Community College...I start on January 17th.

Wow...  You only have to add one letter to make "attitude" feline related.  Doggitude would just sound stupid and you would have to completely change the first syllable.

Guess I'm sold on cats.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/18/05 at 9:22 pm

I think sometimes cats and people don't 'click' because some folks like a pet that is totally willing and able to have a master...follow commands whenever their master wants them to...and just be totally loyal no matter what.

Cat lovers IMO are willing to accept and love a creature that sees them as 'benevolent servants' and is semi-independent, who does things when they want to, and ONLY if they want to...but has a loving and kind side for their 'benevolent servants' who are willing to care for them and attend to their every want and need.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/18/05 at 11:21 pm

Cattitude isn't deliberate on the part of cats, it's merely instinctual.  We do tend to project anthropocentric qualities onto animals...and why not?  It's more fun that way!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/18/05 at 11:21 pm

Cattitude isn't deliberate on the part of cats, it's merely instinctual.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/20/05 at 2:32 pm

A lot of folks think that cats and dogs don't get along which isn't always the case...I've lived with people who have both, and dogs and cats can be friendly, even affectionate to each other..usually if they grew up together, they form a bond of friendship..I knew a cat who would 'groom' his fox-terrier pal...that was cute. I'd love to have a dog as well as my cat...when I'm able to be home and have the time to train a dog and play with them...

Written By: STAR70 on 01/09/06 at 4:16 pm

I'm having a visual of you being accosted in a dark alley and spanked by a crazed group of Aryan Supremicist Feminists, thus leading to this obssesive animosity toward them.  (for lack of better words) ;D

you'd be surprized.....

Written By: STAR70 on 01/09/06 at 4:19 pm

...now back to the topic.

Maxim magazine, whose readership is overwhelmingly male, in its July/August 1998 issue conducted a polll....

78% preferred dogs

cats are a chick thing....

Written By: barefootrobin on 01/10/06 at 1:33 pm

you'd be surprized.....

Uh huh, and?

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/10/06 at 2:30 pm

...now back to the topic.

Maxim magazine, whose readership is overwhelmingly male, in its July/August 1998 issue conducted a polll....

78% preferred dogs

cats are a chick thing....

I can't hold my tongue here. Thats gotta be the most overhwhelmingly stupid thing I have ever heard on this board. Seriously.

Written By: jackas on 01/10/06 at 2:32 pm

I can't hold my tongue here. Thats gotta be the most overhwhelmingly stupid thing I have ever heard on this board. Seriously.

Why?  I bet it's true that the majority of men prefer dogs.

Written By: barefootrobin on 01/10/06 at 2:33 pm

Reflective of the demographic.  Readers of Maxim.

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/10/06 at 2:39 pm

Why?  I bet it's true that the majority of men prefer dogs.

Huh? Oh. I wasn't referring to the poll; I was referring to STAR70's commentary on it. "cats are a chick thing"

That reminds me of an episode of King of the Hill where Hank says to Peggy "why don't I just get a cat and a sex change?"; an ignorant thing like that is funny when done in the context of comedy. Here it just made me roll my eyes.

Written By: barefootrobin on 01/10/06 at 2:48 pm

Huh? Oh. I wasn't referring to the poll; I was referring to STAR70's commentary on it. "cats are a chick thing"

That reminds me of an episode of King of the Hill where Hank says to Peggy "why don't I just get a cat and a sex change?"; an ignorant thing like that is funny when done in the context of comedy. Here it just made me roll my eyes.

Then this,  "I can't hold my tongue here. Thats gotta be the most overhwhelmingly stupid thing I have ever heard on this board. Seriously." is a really rude way to express that - I hope no one was offended.

Written By: jackas on 01/10/06 at 2:50 pm

Oh come on, lighten up.  You are making an issue out of a non-issue, imo. :P ;D

Written By: STAR70 on 01/10/06 at 4:34 pm

Reflective of the demographic.  Readers of Maxim.

... I.E. Males.

cats are a chick thing

Written By: barefootrobin on 01/10/06 at 4:36 pm

... I.E. Males.

cats are a chick thing

And Aryan Supremicist Feminists?  What pets do they choose?  Sorry just teasing,  ;D ;D I couldn't resist!

Written By: STAR70 on 01/10/06 at 4:38 pm

And Aryan Supremicist Feminists?  What pets do they choose? 

pit bulls names Panzer

cats are a non-Nazi-chick thing

Written By: STAR70 on 01/10/06 at 4:40 pm

hey wait a minute.

in your twisted vision, are the Nazi feministsswearing Gestapo girl uniforms?

Written By: barefootrobin on 01/10/06 at 4:51 pm

hey wait a minute.

in your twisted vision, are the Nazi feministsswearing Gestapo girl uniforms?

To be honest, I had no visual - until now!

Written By: STAR70 on 01/10/06 at 5:06 pm

eww

Written By: barefootrobin on 01/10/06 at 5:11 pm

eww

You crack me up!  LOL - really!  ;D  You started it and you're saying EWW?  ;D  I'm glad you finally noticed the alley comment - I was disappointed when you didn't reply.

Written By: STAR70 on 01/10/06 at 5:32 pm

who let the Gestapo Girls  out?
http://gifworks.com/queue/helga_3331.gif

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/10/06 at 9:02 pm

... I.E. Males.

cats are a chick thing

Yeah, well...thats like, your opinion, man..

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/10/06 at 9:04 pm

Before reading these posts...I never once viewed owning cats a "girl" thing. I know equal amounts of guys that have cats as pets.  To me...you are either a cat or a dog person...and it doesn't really come down to being a male or a female.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 01/10/06 at 9:10 pm

Yeah, well...thats like, your opinion, man..
If it's in a magazine it much be true.  :D

Written By: Chrisrj on 01/10/06 at 11:57 pm

By the sound of the topic title, I thought it was going to be a very crude topic... but boy am I glad I was wrong!

I have 2 cats at home, one's named Snowball, she's turning 14 this July; my other cat's name is Sharp, and he's turning 7 this year!

I personally prefer cats because they're mostly quieter.  Dogs tend to be loud and cause more trouble.  I live in a neighborhood that's sourrounded by 4 dog families, and when one dog barks, sometimes they all bark!  This is especially irritating when I'm trying to sleep in after staying up all night.

Plus, cats are smaller, which doesn't necessarily mean they'd eat less, but at least they take up less space... and they fit in your lap :)

me + dogs =  {{>.<}}
me + cats =  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

This is just me, but I just LOVE cats!

Written By: STAR70 on 01/11/06 at 5:51 pm

If it's in a magazine it much be true.  :D

it's Maxim Mag: the best thing to happen to guys since chicks!

and remember: cats are a chick thing

Written By: jackas on 01/11/06 at 6:01 pm

;D

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/11/06 at 6:03 pm

::)

Whatever, dude.

Written By: STAR70 on 01/11/06 at 6:07 pm

meow!

https://secure.palmcoastd.com/ows-img/maxim/october/cover_mod.gif

cats are a chick thing

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 01/11/06 at 6:28 pm

The only dog I like is a hot dog: (Or as we call 'em: American Hot Dogs)

http://img.factmonster.com/images/hotdog.jpg

::)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/12/06 at 3:45 am

... I.E. Males.

cats are a chick thing
Like every male on this planet reads MAXIM!

My housemate, who is a guy, likes my cat....

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/12/06 at 3:47 am

meow!

https://secure.palmcoastd.com/ows-img/maxim/october/cover_mod.gif

cats are a chick thing
I don't agree with you. I know men who have cats.

Written By: jackas on 01/12/06 at 1:32 pm

He's gay?

Written By: jackas on 01/12/06 at 1:32 pm

I don't agree with you. I know men who have cats.

They're gay?

Written By: STAR70 on 01/12/06 at 4:16 pm

Like every male on this planet reads MAXIM!

they would if they could....

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/12/06 at 7:38 pm

He's gay?
No he's not gay. And I know other straight guys who have cats.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/12/06 at 7:40 pm

they would if they could....
Hey, some guys would rather read Men's Vogue! Or that old standby, Playboy!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/12/06 at 7:42 pm

;)        Cats are not just a gal thing.      :P

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/12/06 at 7:46 pm

;)  I think some guys like to have pets they can tell what to do and they will do it...just like some guys treat their girlfriends or wives!  ;)

Which is why those guys have dogs rather than cats!  ;)

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/12/06 at 8:19 pm

What kind of pet you have has about as much to do with masculinity as being a slob or any of the other idiotic behaviors mislabeled as "manly". No they aren't manly. They are more like how boys behave. Men are secure with who they are, and they are independent. They can take care of themselves.

Written By: jackas on 01/12/06 at 9:01 pm

What kind of pet you have has about as much to do with masculinity as being a slob or any of the other idiotic behaviors mislabeled as "manly". No they aren't manly. They are more like how boys behave. Men are secure with who they are, and they are independent. They can take care of themselves.

I get it, you have a dog. ;) ;D

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/12/06 at 9:56 pm

I get it, you have a dog. ;) ;D

:P I clean up after myself. I wash my own clothes, I clean my own bathroom, I vacuum my own room, I take care of my own car(washing it, checking the fluids, changing the oil, etc.), I sew up my own clothes whenever they get tears or lose a button, I know how to cook for myself, etc. There are unfortunately 30 and 40 year old guys out there who don't do all that stuff and some of them even foolishly think its macho.  ::)

Written By: karen on 01/13/06 at 4:11 am

:P I clean up after myself. I wash my own clothes, I clean my own bathroom, I vacuum my own room, I take care of my own car(washing it, checking the fluids, changing the oil, etc.), I sew up my own clothes whenever they get tears or lose a button, I know how to cook for myself, etc. There are unfortunately 30 and 40 year old guys out there who don't do all that stuff and some of them even foolishly think its macho.  ::)

Do you want a medal?

Written By: jackas on 01/13/06 at 9:24 am

Do you want a medal?

He's trying to turn you on. ;) :P

Written By: karen on 01/13/06 at 9:28 am

He's trying to turn you on. ;) :P

Unlucky for him then.  I've already got a hubby who can do all of that

Written By: jackas on 01/13/06 at 9:32 am

Unlucky for him then.  I've already got a hubby who can do all of that

Poor Alex. :(

Written By: karen on 01/13/06 at 9:37 am

Plus I'm twice his age

Written By: jackas on 01/13/06 at 9:38 am

Plus I'm twice his age

Oh, I can bet he likes older women. ;)

Written By: karen on 01/13/06 at 9:52 am

Oh, I can bet he likes older women. ;)

I think I remeber him saying that recently.  EEK!

Back onto the topic I think

In our first place we had a cat and many of the neighbours had cats.  I think next door on one side had a dog but they were definitely the exception.  When we moved the street mainly had dogs on it.  I think one person up the road had a cat.  We contemplated getting a cat here (our others had been killed by cars at this point) but ended up having a baby instead.  (I still say a cat would have been easier to look after!)  Then we moved to a busy road and hardly know anyone except the immediate neighbours.  There are a couple of cats around because we see them passing through our garden.  After our previous experiences we decided against getting another cat.

My husband used to have a dog when he was younger.  Cats are much easier to look after than dogs and don't mind if you are out all day, plus they don't need to be exercised in the same way that dogs do.  I reckon that's why they are more popular (if they are).  Or it may be that the person who started this thread is a cat lover and so notices the cats around more.  Like when you are thinking of buying a particular car because they aren't that common and suddenly you see them all over the place.

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/13/06 at 12:44 pm

Poor Alex. :(

Wtf? What is your problem? I didn't say anything of that nature and I don't like being accused of things I'm not doing.  >:(

Until you learn not to be mean to me I'm not talking to either of you anymore.

Bullies.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/13/06 at 1:12 pm

It's hard to find someone who can do that kind of stuff. I applaud you on that. I was just talking about this stuff on the other thread, "Don't You Love it when..." and that sometimes my boyfriend is rather cleaner than I, but he can't sew very well, so I sew up holes in his shirts and so on, but for a guy to do that is quite impressive indeed!

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/13/06 at 1:13 pm

It's hard to find someone who can do that kind of stuff. I applaud you on that. I was just talking about this stuff on the other thread, "Don't You Love it when..." and that sometimes my boyfriend is rather cleaner than I, but he can't sew very well, so I sew up holes in his shirts and so on, but for a guy to do that is quite impressive indeed!

Thanks. :)

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 01/13/06 at 1:37 pm

He's gay?

They're gay?

;D ;D ;D ;D

(Yes, I'm fully aware that this was a total postwhore. But I had to show my appreciation)

Written By: YWN on 01/13/06 at 1:54 pm

Wtf? What is your problem? I didn't say anything of that nature and I don't like being accused of things I'm not doing.  >:(

Bullies.

Aw, c'mon, quit bullying Alex.  :\'(

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/13/06 at 8:08 pm

Not all guys are like you..my ex-husband was a momma's boy and I got stuck doing EVERYTHING for his sorry a$$! I like guys who can take care of themselves, and don't depend on a woman to tend to their every need..thank God independent guys are out there.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/13/06 at 8:23 pm

I like both dogs and cats, but Tika would split if I brought a puppy in here! Tika would be like "Oh yeah, that puppy will get more attention than me, I'm gone!"

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 01/13/06 at 8:42 pm

I like both dogs and cats, but Tika would split if I brought a puppy in here! Tika would be like "Oh yeah, that puppy will get more attention than me, I'm gone!"

Whoa, Dude, you have a TALKING CAT?! :o

Written By: jackas on 01/13/06 at 8:51 pm

Bullies.

It's ok Alex, everybody knows you weren't trying to turn Karen on. ::)  It was a joke, hence the  ;) and the  :P. 

http://www.bullying.org/bullyingdev/client_files/images/little_bullies-big_bullies.jpg

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 01/13/06 at 9:25 pm

It's ok Alex, everybody knows you weren't trying to turn Karen on. ::)  It was a joke, hence the  ;) and the  :P.   

http://www.bullying.org/bullyingdev/client_files/images/little_bullies-big_bullies.jpg

I noticed your characters are black. Wtf are you trying to say?! You big bully...  :( :P ;)

Written By: YWN on 01/13/06 at 9:26 pm

I noticed your characters are black. Wtf are you trying to say?! You big bully...  :( :P ;)

Yeah, and one of them is getting kicked in the nads.

Written By: jackas on 01/13/06 at 9:30 pm

You're right.....I should have put in the token white guy. :-\\

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/13/06 at 10:26 pm

Its hard to tell sometimes on the internet. I guess since so many people look down on that sort of thing(older woman-younger guy) I thought you were making fun of me for what I said the other day. Sorry.

Written By: jackas on 01/13/06 at 10:41 pm

Its hard to tell sometimes on the internet. I guess since so many people look down on that sort of thing(older woman-younger guy) I thought you were making fun of me for what I said the other day. Sorry.

Yeah, it is hard to tell if someone is joking or not, that's why I use the heck out of  :D 8) :-\\ :) :) :\'( :D :) >:( :( ;)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/13/06 at 10:44 pm

I love cats...I hate dogs....they are pervs....cats generally are not pervs...so they are AOK! ;) :D ;D

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 01/13/06 at 10:48 pm

s'true. Every dog I've come in contact with, has been an uber-perv.

Written By: jackas on 01/13/06 at 10:49 pm

I love cats...I hate dogs....they are pervs....cats generally are not pervs...so they are AOK! ;) :D ;D

Who's a pervert?? >:( >:(

http://www.dogsinthenews.com/issues/0205/pictures/wagsbra.jpg

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/13/06 at 10:50 pm

hahahahah...OMFG....I know you were trying to search for one with some undies, now were you not? LOL! :D ;D

Written By: ADH13 on 01/13/06 at 10:51 pm

No wonder you like rabbits so much!

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 01/13/06 at 10:51 pm

Omg.. The laughter that came out of me nearly caused heart failure..

::Collapses::

Written By: jackas on 01/13/06 at 10:52 pm

hahahahah...OMFG....I know you were trying to search for one with some undies, now were you not? LOL! :D ;D

You are correct!  This was too perfect though. ;D

Written By: jackas on 01/13/06 at 10:53 pm

No wonder you like rabbits so much!

EFF  Rusty!!!!!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/13/06 at 10:54 pm

Dogs are just so nasty though....I am so glad that my cats don't smell my undies and lick them.!!!! ;D :D :o

Written By: Dagwood on 01/13/06 at 11:00 pm

Or chew them up like my sister's dog.  Blech

Written By: ADH13 on 01/13/06 at 11:02 pm

Dogs are just so nasty though....I am so glad that my cats don't smell my undies and lick them.!!!! ;D :D :o

I don't think dogs do that as much when they're fixed.  I have two dogs and they don't seem to have any interest in dirty clothes.

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/13/06 at 11:04 pm

Actually we have a Siamese cat named Sisqo, and he nurses on our female Golden retriever.  :D

Written By: jackas on 01/13/06 at 11:21 pm

Are you kidding me?  I have proof....your cats are fighting over your panties here!!!!! :o

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c270/jackas000/kitkatandanna.jpg

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/14/06 at 12:17 am

Are you kidding me?  I have proof....your cats are fighting over your panties here!!!!! :o

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c270/jackas000/kitkatandanna.jpg

OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I nearly choked on a cracker when I saw that one! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D you are too funny Chrissy!!

Written By: jackas on 01/14/06 at 12:20 am

OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I nearly choked on a cracker when I saw that one! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D you are too funny Chrissy!!

They're perverts I tell you. ;) :P ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/14/06 at 12:34 am

They're perverts I tell you. ;) :P ;D

hmmm..well they do clean each other on occasion. :o

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/14/06 at 12:36 am

Our cats do that all the time. I've also seen then sleep side-by-side with their heads on eachother.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/14/06 at 12:38 am

Our cats do that all the time. I've also seen then sleep side-by-side with their heads on eachother.

yes, that is rather cute and sweet...I don't mind seeing stuff like that...but to see a dog passionately lick the crotch of some undies...that just makes me really NOT want a dog!! ;D :D

Written By: jackas on 01/14/06 at 12:50 am

yes, that is rather cute and sweet...I don't mind seeing stuff like that...but to see a dog passionately lick the crotch of some undies...that just makes me really NOT want a dog!! ;D :D

Hey, depending on the breed, it could be cheaper than a washing machine.

Written By: jackas on 01/14/06 at 12:52 am

The funniest thing about cats is how they are nonchalantly walking across the room and out of nowhere they end up on the floor with their back leg hiked up behind their head. ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/14/06 at 12:54 am

The funniest thing about cats is how they are nonchalantly walking across the room and out of nowhere they end up on the floor with their back leg hiked up behind their head. ;D

yes...they have no shame! ::)

http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=cat+cleaning/v=2/SID=e/l=IVI/SIG=12efmm2d3/EXP=1137308040/*-http%3A//www.grist.org/advice/ask/2004/12/02/cat_on_back.jpg

Written By: jackas on 01/14/06 at 12:59 am

My favorite pose. ::)

http://dcortesi.com/images/albums/newmexico/Cats_Myrna_Cleaning.sized.jpg

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/14/06 at 1:09 am

My favorite pose. ::)

http://dcortesi.com/images/albums/newmexico/Cats_Myrna_Cleaning.sized.jpg

gosh...they are so stinkin' flexible.  I always think it is funny when they smell something and then they make a certain face (kinda with their mouth open partially...like they have just smelled a skunk or something)...that kind of resembles Don Knotts.

http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=don+knotts/v=2/SID=e/l=IVI/SIG=123441dlg/EXP=1137308758/*-http%3A//www.collectr.com/ce/images/cpknottsd.jpg

Written By: jackas on 01/14/06 at 1:19 am

gosh...they are so stinkin' flexible.  I always think it is funny when they smell something and then they make a certain face (kinda with their mouth open partially...like they have just smelled a skunk or something)...that kind of resembles Don Knotts.

http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=don+knotts/v=2/SID=e/l=IVI/SIG=123441dlg/EXP=1137308758/*-http%3A//www.collectr.com/ce/images/cpknottsd.jpg

LOL  I've never seen that look! ;D  That would be hilarious.

Written By: STAR70 on 01/14/06 at 5:38 pm

does he actually OWN a cat?

Written By: karen on 01/16/06 at 10:14 am

Bullies.

Bit of an over-reaction there I think.  Explain how what we said was bullying you

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/16/06 at 4:57 pm

Bit of an over-reaction there I think.  Explain how what we said was bullying you

I believe it was the making fun of him wanting to date older women or that he likes older women and sort of running with that joke...

Written By: YWN on 01/16/06 at 7:06 pm

I believe it was the making fun of him wanting to date older women or that he likes older women and sort of running with that joke...

Maybe we should form a focus group...

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/16/06 at 7:18 pm

I didn't think it was all that funny, to be honest..

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 01/16/06 at 8:31 pm

I'm not taking sides here, but I honestly don't see anyone making fun.

Written By: jackas on 01/16/06 at 9:46 pm

;D ;D

The joke had nothing to do with Alex liking older women.  The joke was that he was trying to impress Karen and it had nothing to do with her age.  If Beth had asked him if he wanted a medal I would have made the same comment.  The only reason I mentioned that I thought Alex liked older women was because Karen said that she was too old for him.  And I do think that Alex is attracted to older women.  From what I understand, Alex was upset about me saying that he was trying to impress Karen, not that he liked older women.  Alex and I have talked about the situation and he now understands that I wasn't serious about what I said. 

Written By: barefootrobin on 01/17/06 at 10:01 am

;D ;D

The joke had nothing to do with Alex liking older women.  The joke was that he was trying to impress Karen and it had nothing to do with her age.  If Beth had asked him if he wanted a medal I would have made the same comment.   The only reason I mentioned that I thought Alex liked older women was because Karen said that she was too old for him.  And I do think that Alex is attracted to older women.  From what I understand, Alex was upset about me saying that he was trying to impress Karen, not that he liked older women.  Alex and I have talked about the situation and he now understands that I wasn't serious about what I said. 

I think it's interesting how the written word, minus the distracting body language, can still be misunderstood.  Interesting.

Written By: karen on 01/17/06 at 10:22 am

I think it's interesting how the written word, minus the distracting body language, can still be misunderstood.  Interesting.

It's the lack of body language, in particular facial expression, that causes a lot of the misunderstanings on the boards I think.  If you write something jokey but forget to indicate it with a smiley (even though it's bleeding obvious to you it's a joke) someone will take it the wrong way.

Written By: barefootrobin on 01/17/06 at 10:25 am

It's the lack of body language, in particular facial expression, that causes a lot of the misunderstanings on the boards I think.  If you write something jokey but forget to indicate it with a smiley (even though it's bleeding obvious to you it's a joke) someone will take it the wrong way.

Oh totally, but what I find interesting is that in business we are taught to be mindful of our body laguage when communicating because it can distract from the message.  So you would think that eliminating the body language would go a long way in helping get a message across.  Now that you mention it, maybe it's a facial expression thing, hence the smiley.

Written By: Stereomanic on 01/17/06 at 10:30 am

i personally cannot recall cats becoming more popular than dogs, but both have their advantages. if you want something to cuddle up to, then cats are far better than dogs. but if you're looking for protection and something playful, then i'd go for a dog. don't have either, so i'm ptretty neutral on the matter

Written By: jackas on 01/17/06 at 3:00 pm

Oh totally, but what I find interesting is that in business we are taught to be mindful of our body laguage when communicating because it can distract from the message.  So you would think that eliminating the body language would go a long way in helping get a message across.  Now that you mention it, maybe it's a facial expression thing, hence the smiley.

That's the thing that got me!  I even used the smilies in my comment. http://bestsmileys.com/clueless/4.gif

Written By: STAR70 on 01/17/06 at 4:51 pm

He's gay?

I know men who have cats.

They're gay?

OH NO YOU DIDN'T!!!!

Written By: karen on 01/18/06 at 3:43 am

OH NO YOU DIDN'T!!!!

She wasn't talking about that bit

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/18/06 at 4:00 am

i personally cannot recall cats becoming more popular than dogs, but both have their advantages. if you want something to cuddle up to, then cats are far better than dogs. but if you're looking for protection and something playful, then i'd go for a dog. don't have either, so i'm ptretty neutral on the matter

I find the cuddle factor varies greatly among individual cats and dogs.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/01/06 at 1:35 am

CATS ROCK!! :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/01/06 at 6:45 pm

CATS RULE AND DOGS DROOL!!!!    ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/01/06 at 8:14 pm

I love both animals equally.  We have a dog and we have a cat and I couldn't imagine trying to pick which one I cared about more.  If push came to shove and one of the three of us had to go hungry, it would be me.

Written By: deadrockstar on 10/01/06 at 10:19 pm

[quote author=

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/02/06 at 12:50 am

[quote author=

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/02/06 at 2:26 am

No reason for any of you to go hungry in that case.  You can eat up the cat and the dog!  Then their problems are over and you've still got enough left for soup and sandwiches!  Of course, that's completely repulsive, and you'd never do such a thing to the beloved family pets...but if your abdomen was distended from starvation, your priorities might change a bit!

You're damn right it's repulsive.  Why would you post something like that?  Nevermind, I probably already know the answer to that.

And I don't care how hungry I get......I would never kill my pets. 

Written By: Watcher29 on 10/02/06 at 7:41 am

Nope! Sorry, cats don't fart.

Oh, yes they do. Just ask my cat Smokey, aka Stinky. He does it all the time. He's a big, lovable teddy bear of a cat, but he can clear a room faster than any dog I have ever seen.

Written By: STAR70 on 10/03/06 at 2:10 pm

CATS ROCK!! :D

cats are a chick thing

Written By: Mushroom on 10/03/06 at 3:01 pm

[quote author=

Written By: KKay on 10/03/06 at 3:35 pm

I only know one person with a cat and about 12 with dogs.
Is this popularity documented?
I think its a far reaching conclusion. I think more people have dogs

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/03/06 at 3:44 pm

Dog - The Other White Meat

I like dogs-they taste just like chicken.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Ebontyne on 10/03/06 at 3:46 pm

I love both cats and dogs. I'm more of a "cat person" by experience though - I've had my cat since I was 3 years old. She's going to be 20 early next year. :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/03/06 at 3:49 pm

I love both cats and dogs. I'm more of a "cat person" by experience though - I've had my cat since I was 3 years old. She's going to be 20 early next year. :)

Wow-20. The oldest cat I have had died at the age of 18.  :\'(

Cat

Written By: nally on 10/03/06 at 3:51 pm

holy Ferragamo!! your cat is almost 20 years old?? :o I've never known any dogs or cats to live past their teens.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 10/03/06 at 3:52 pm

CATS RULE AND DOGS DROOL!!!!    ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Well, my cat rules and she drools!  ;D ;)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 10/03/06 at 3:53 pm

holy Ferragamo!! your cat is almost 20 years old?? :o I've never known any dogs or cats to live past their teens.

My parents once had a Siamese cat that lived to be 21!  :o

Written By: nally on 10/03/06 at 3:55 pm

My parents once had a Siamese cat that lived to be 21!  :o

My mom had a chihuahua dog that lived to be 17 (1960-1977)...and I thought that was the limit!

Written By: Ebontyne on 10/03/06 at 3:56 pm

I plan to someday scan a photo of me and her sitting on a step outside in May 1987, and post it alongside a new one of us. (I've changed in appearance considerably more than she has. ;))

Written By: Mushroom on 10/03/06 at 3:59 pm

I like dogs-they taste just like chicken.  :D ;D ;D ;D

I agree, most white meat tastes about the same.

Of course, Jeffrey Dahmer had bumper sticker that read:

People - The Other White Meat

Not that cannibalism is nessicarily wrong, to each culture their own.  Millions in the US practice it on a regular basis.

My cat Punkin was finally put to sleep in 1989, when he was 19.  He was fairly healthy, but was no longer able to walk.  He was never the same after my mom ran over his back hips in the truck in 1985.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/03/06 at 4:50 pm

Well, my cat rules and she drools!  ;D ;)

I knew someone who had a cat who drooled.  :P

Cat

Written By: nally on 10/03/06 at 10:13 pm

I plan to someday scan a photo of me and her sitting on a step outside in May 1987, and post it alongside a new one of us. (I've changed in appearance considerably more than she has. ;))

That's real nice...maybe after you've scanned it you can share it with us and post it in the photo board. 19 years...that is rather remarkable for a pet. In May 1987 I was in 1st grade and won my first spelling bee.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/03/06 at 10:14 pm

In May 1987 I was in 1st grade and won my first spelling bee.

In May 1987 I was in Kindergarten.

Written By: nally on 10/03/06 at 10:16 pm

[quote author=

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/03/06 at 10:18 pm

Wait...were you one year behind me in school or two? ??? I thought you might've been two years behind me, since you're two years younger than me. I graduated HS in June 1998...did you graduate in 99 or 00?

2000.  I mistyped.  I started Kindergarten in 1987, but in August. 

There, issue resolved.  Happy?

Written By: nally on 10/03/06 at 10:22 pm

[quote author=

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/03/06 at 10:23 pm

Yeah, I was a bit confused at first. Thanks for clearing it up. :)

No need to be confused.  This isn't metaphysics.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/04/06 at 1:35 am

My mom had a chihuahua dog that lived to be 17 (1960-1977)...and I thought that was the limit!

The smaller breeds of dogs tend to live longer than larger dogs.  It's rare, but not unknown, for chihuahua-sized dogs to live to be 22 or 23.  I don't know if this is still the record:

Oldest Dog
An Australian Cattle-dog named Bluey, owned by Les hall of Rochester, Victoria, Australia, was obtained as a puppy in 1910 and worked among cattle and sheep for nearly 20 years. He was put to sleep on November 14, 1939 at the age of 29 years, 5 months.

Oldes cat, unclear whether the cat is still alive today, but she was verified by Guiness.
The oldest living cat is Creme Puff of Austin Texas. Born on August 3rd 1967, Creme Puff celebrated her 38th birthday in August 2005.

The oldest cat I ever knew was a cat named "Whitie."  He died at the age of 23.  He belonged to a lady I used to work with.  She had the papers verifying his age.  Whitie didn't do much other than eat and sleep.  He didn't appear to be suffering, just slowed way down.  He died in his sleep without any fuss.

Of course, Jeffrey Dahmer had bumper sticker that read:

People - The Other White Meat

Jeffrey Dahmer's mother said, "I don't like your friends."
Jeffrey said, "Then just eat the vegetables."
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/nut.gif

Written By: Ebontyne on 10/04/06 at 8:35 pm

That's real nice...maybe after you've scanned it you can share it with us and post it in the photo board. 19 years...that is rather remarkable for a pet. In May 1987 I was in 1st grade and won my first spelling bee.

That was the intention. :) Posting the new photo is easy... it's scanning the old one that's the tricky part, because I don't have the technology. I'll have to find a friend with a scanner who's willing to do it for me.

I'm a month shy of 4 in the photo, by the way, and the cat is about three or four months old... I didn't start Kindergarten until '88.

Check for new replies or respond here...