inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Rock Hall of Fame Announces Inductees

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/28/05 at 9:32 pm

Next year inductees in the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame are...

Black Sabbath
Miles Davis
The Sex Pistols
Blondie
Lynyrd Skynyrd

http://entertainment.tv.yahoo.com/entnews/ap/20051128/113320422000.html

Subject: Re: Rock Hall of Fame Announces Inductees

Written By: whistledog on 11/28/05 at 9:35 pm

You'd think Skynyrd would already be in the hall of fame by now.  There are bands in there already who have been around less years than Skynyrd

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/28/05 at 9:39 pm

I know......

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/28/05 at 9:43 pm

Miles Davis was a phenomenal musician, but he wasn't rock'n'roll.  He was jazz.  You can credit his work in the fusion/funk genre as an influence on rock'n'roll, but Mr. Davis was simply not a rock musician.  He was all about jazz.

Written By: Apricot on 11/29/05 at 10:17 am

Blondie? Hmmm.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/29/05 at 11:19 am

Miles Davis was a phenomenal musician, but he wasn't rock'n'roll.

Written By: Billy Florio on 11/29/05 at 3:17 pm

True Rock n' Roll encompasses Jazz, R&B, Soul, Gospel, and Blues. Rock was born from those genres.

I suggest a music history course, Max.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/29/05 at 4:12 pm

I think Miles is gonna rise from the grave and take a few back with him for equating his music with
Rock and Roll.  I just don't think he'd like it.

Written By: Paul on 11/29/05 at 4:51 pm

Pffft...!!

The Pistols...?!!

Young Lydon must be killing himself laughing...!!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/29/05 at 6:18 pm

True Rock n' Roll encompasses Jazz, R&B, Soul, Gospel, and Blues. Rock was born from those genres.

I suggest a music history course, Max.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/29/05 at 7:04 pm

That's why I cited Davis's influence on rock'n'roll music, but questioned whether he really belonged in the RR H of F.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/29/05 at 7:06 pm

Max knows his music history, he's just taking the terms too literally.

It's music of the "Rock Era"...thats everything from the 50s up...so it includes jazz.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/30/05 at 6:20 am

My question is, WHICH Lynyrd Skynyrd will be inducted?

The priginal lineup was awesome, and their induction is long over due.  Ronnie Van Zant, Allen Collins, Gary Rosington, Larry Junstrom, Bob Burns, Steve Gaines, Billy Powell, Leon Wilkerson abd a couple other guys whose names escape me.

I'd like to think that the induction will exclude Johnny Van Zant.  If he gets in, then I suggest that the Beathles Copy Band down the street get inducted with The Beatles.

Written By: Mushroom on 11/30/05 at 9:21 am

Basically, it will include the original members of the band.  But it is also fair to include all incarnations.

After all, how many bands remain the same over more then 4 or 5 years?  Even The Beatles went through some staff changes.  And look at a band like Genesis.  How many lead singers did they go through?  And most solo artists (Prince for example) have a great number of different people playing insturments over the years.

For an even better idea, look at Jefferson Airplane.  Even as Airplane, they had a great many member changes.  That is even before they started to change their name.  And they had hits both before Grace Slick was a member, and after she left.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/30/05 at 2:11 pm

Even The Beatles went through some staff changes. 

???  The Beatles had changes in the very early incarnation like all bands, but when fame came knocking
it was the Fab Four from beginning to end.  While you can look at bands like Skynrd and see the very definite changes the Beatles remained the Beatles from Meet The Beatles to the apocalypse. 

Written By: whistledog on 11/30/05 at 2:12 pm

Speaking of Skynyrd, I wonder when Donnie Van Zant and his band 38 Special will enter the Hall of Fame (If they aren't already in there)

Written By: Satish on 11/30/05 at 2:16 pm

I love that Blondie's getting in. They're one of my favourite groups!

But I don't care too much for Skynnrd, though. I've never thought they were that great.

Written By: Mushroom on 11/30/05 at 3:35 pm

???

Written By: Billy Florio on 11/30/05 at 6:01 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: Billy Florio on 11/30/05 at 6:03 pm

And a lot of other Classic groups had changess.

Written By: Billy Florio on 11/30/05 at 6:03 pm

I think Miles is gonna rise from the grave and take a few back with him for equating his music with
Rock and Roll.

Written By: Billy Florio on 11/30/05 at 6:05 pm

The priginal lineup was awesome, and their induction is long over due.

Written By: whistledog on 11/30/05 at 7:49 pm

.38 special will never be inducted.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/30/05 at 8:13 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: Billy Florio on 11/30/05 at 9:45 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/30/05 at 11:04 pm

good point.

because some claim the sex pistols as influences.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/01/05 at 5:44 am

Oh yes, their sound with Ronnie Spector and Billy Preston sounds just like when they did "Love Me Do".  :o

The Beatles in particular went through some drastic changes once they stopped touring.  Their works became even more complex, and the number of studio musicians increased dramatically.  They also started to use things like melotrons, backmasking, and looping to create sounds that were impossible to create on a stage.  And exotic insturments like sitars, and even full orchestration started to be used.

Every musical group goes through changes.  And there is nothing wrong with that.  And most groups go through staff and member changes.  And here is a dirty little secret:  most groups in the studio add even more members to fill out their sound even more.  So what?  I really could not care less, as long as the finished product sounds good.

Myself, I thought their best work was in the Revolver/Rubber Soul period.  And before that you have their "bubblegum pop" era.  And even before that, you have their R&B era when they were mostly a house band.  And even after Revovler/Soul, they have their "Concept" phase, with Sgt. Pepper, White Album, and Magical Mystery Tour.  Then you have yet another distinct period, with Let It Be and Abbey Road.  If you did not know better, they could be entirely new groups.  Try playing "Yesterday", "Love Me Do", "Shout", "Revolution" (the White Album version, not the single), and "Get Back".  Could imagine 5 songs that sound so different comming from the same group?

And if you take the last of their works to be completed, they even added Jeff Lynne (formerly of ELO).  Free As A Bird sounds like it could have from from Abbey Road or Let It Be, but it also shows other more modern influences.  And a "Solo" work by George Harrison (When We Were Fab) was done by half of the Beatles (Ringo was on percussion).  And this "Half Beatle" song could have come right off of The White Album if you go simply by listening to it.

Even some of The Beatles greatest work only has 1 or 2 Beatles performing it.  Yesterday only had Paul performing on it.  None of the other Beatles were involved in the recording of that song.  So is it a Beatles song, or a solo work included on a group album?  I really could not care less, it is an awesome song.

And a lot of other Classic groups had changess.  Both Genesis and Pink Floyd had major changes because of insanity or group members leaving.  But nobody goes on about "Pink before/after Sid" (although some people do argue about Genesis during the Gabriel or Collins eras).

Of course, there are still people who believe that Paul died during their heyday, and the current Paul is an imposter.  8)

As a side note, has anybody else here heard about the EBay auction of a beatles LP?  There is an LP there with a current bid of $20,100.  It is a sealed "Butcher Cover" of "Yesterday And Today", the only known case of this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Beatles-BUTCHER-COVER-RECORD-ALBUM-Livingston-Copy_W0QQitemZ7565497347QQcategoryZ104657QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Yeah,yeah, yeah, just as a McCartney song or a Lennon Song remained(until recently) a Lennon/McCartney song, the Beatles will always remain, John, Paul, George, and Ringo, to themselves and the world, the Beatles.  You will never see Lynne, Preston, or anyone else calling themselves, or being called, a Beatle by anyone.  Differences, arguments, people in and out, it never mattered, and still doesn't.    A side note, I remember when that album cover came out and caused a big todo.  They were pulled off of the shelves or given away.  If I only knew then.  ::)

Written By: loki 13 on 12/02/05 at 6:23 pm

It should be called "The Rock & Roll Hall Of Shame"
I mean personal opinions aside what has Blondie done
to deserve hall of fame status?Tom Petty is also in, why?
Emerson Lake & Palmer were one of the pioneers of
progressive rock.They changed the way the synthesizer
was used in music and added a classical flair to rock.They
will never get a mention in the hall.What criteria does the
induction committee follow? Why does the committee seem
to ignore Heavy Metal? I can only hope Ozzy sticks to guns
about the hall and turns down his selection.

Check for new replies or respond here...