inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Top ten worst Christmas songs ever...

Written By: EveHarrington79 on 12/02/05 at 7:47 pm

Hey everyone! I thought it would be interesting to see what everyone's top ten least favorite Christmas tunes were. Here are mine:

10.) 'Christmas in America' by Pat Benatar -This one was first played during the 2001 holiday season shortly after 9/11; While Ms. Benatar's intentions and heart were probably in the right place, this song just came off as too contrived and forced. Fortunately, it quickly sang without a trace.

9.) 'Jingle Bells' by Barbra Streisand -UGH!!! Can we say ANNOYING AS HELL anybody???

8.) 'Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer' -This one will probably be on EVERYONE'S top ten worst Christmas song list!! How this became a holiday 'classic' is beyond my comprehension!

7.) 'The Little Saint Nick' by the Beach Boys -Just plain boring.

6.) 'Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer' by Harry Connick Jr. -I don't even know where to begin with this one; it sounds like Mr. Connick and a bunch of little kids paying homage to poor old Rudolph in a jazzy strip club! Very bizarre. Oh and I HATE that shrill saxophone solo worst of all!!!!

5.) 'Blue Christmas' by Elvis -WAAAAAAAY too overplayed!

4.) 'Love on Layaway' by Gloria Estefan -This one is on the 'Now that's what I call Christmas!' cd set but it should of been included on the 'Now that's what I call Crap!' cd set instead!!!

3.) 'Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree' by Brenda Lee -Again, another that is WAAAAAAY too overplayed!

2.) 'I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus' -Am I the only person that finds this song to be truly creepy and disturbing on so many levels??

And for the Number One WORST Christmas song ever:

THE CHRISTMAS SHOES!!! Ughhh!!!! I can't begin to tell you all how much I hate this morbid, putrid, depressing 'holiday' song!! A little boy's mother is going to die on Christmas Eve! Holiday cheer for all boys and girls!!!

Now what are yours?????

Subject: Re: Top ten worst Christmas songs ever...

Written By: Tanya1976 on 12/02/05 at 9:04 pm

I love Grandma got run over by a reindeer.

However, I do agree on the others.

Written By: Dagwood on 12/02/05 at 9:06 pm

I love Grandma got run over by a reindeer.

However, I do agree on the others.

Add to that Christmas Shoes and I agree with your post.

My least favorite is 12 Pains of Christmas.  Hearing that once a year is too much.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/02/05 at 9:16 pm

I hate "Last Christmas" by Wham.....UGH...what a lame-o song! ::)

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 12/02/05 at 9:22 pm

I like grandma got ran over by a reindeer and I like have a holly jolly christmas by burl Ives

Written By: whistledog on 12/02/05 at 9:39 pm

One I don't really care for is '2000 Miles' by The Pretenders.  It is a good song, but listening to it more than once can make you run your fist through a steel wall  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/02/05 at 9:53 pm

In no particular order, I despise these done by any artist, any time, in any style!

1. Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
2. Let It Snow
3. Santa Baby
4. Sleigh Ride
5. Santa Claus is Coming To Town
6. Rudolph the Rednose Reindeer
7. I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus
8. Little Drummer Boy
9. Frosty the Snowman
10. Walking In A Wnter Wonderland

Dishonorable mentions
11. Jingle Bell Rock
12. Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer
13. Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree

http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/wuerg/vomit-smiley-016.gif

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/03/05 at 1:21 pm

I agree with you there.

Some of the traditional carols that I can't stand are:

Little Drummer Boy
Away in a Manger
Oh Little Town of Bethlehem
Do You Hear What I Hear
Oh Christmas Tree (in any language)

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/03/05 at 1:26 pm

I agree with you there.

Cat
Last Chirstmas is the first Christmas song heard on the radio for this season.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/03/05 at 1:30 pm

Last Chirstmas is the first Christmas song heard on the radio for this season.

Lucky you.  ::)

Oh I forgot one, Merry Christmas, Darling by the Carpenders.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/03/05 at 1:30 pm

Lucky you.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/03/05 at 1:39 pm

I hate that "Step Into Christmas" song too!! Isn't that one by Elton John?  It's so annoying! ::)

Written By: Satish on 12/03/05 at 1:39 pm

I don't really like how many radio stations only play Christmas songs this time of year. I'd much prefer it if they'd stick to their regular airplay, and only play Christmas songs occasionally.

P.S. I like George Michael quite a bit, so I actually enjoy "Last Christmas" by Wham a great deal! It's probably the ONLY Christmas song I like at all.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/03/05 at 1:48 pm

I don't really like how many radio stations only play Christmas songs this time of year. I'd much prefer it if they'd stick to their regular airplay, and only play Christmas songs occasionally.

P.S. I like George Michael quite a bit, so I actually enjoy "Last Christmas" by Wham a great deal! It's probably the ONLY Christmas song I like at all.

The only time I have ever heard of radio stations playing Christmas music all the time is usually Christmas Eve-and all day on Christmas.

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/03/05 at 1:49 pm

The only time I have ever heard of radio stations playing Christmas music all the time is usually Christmas Eve-and all day on Christmas.

Cat

we currently have 3 or 4 stations that started playing continuous Christmas songs starting the very end of November....and that is ALL they play until after Christmas Day.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/03/05 at 2:03 pm

we currently have 3 or 4 stations that started playing continuous Christmas songs starting the very end of November....and that is ALL they play until after Christmas Day.

That would get old real fast.

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/03/05 at 2:24 pm

That would get old real fast.

Cat

ya, I was all excited at first...but now, I am like..ok. ::)

Written By: Dagwood on 12/03/05 at 2:40 pm

Cat

Be glad you aren't in Utah.  We have 3, calling themselves "the official station of the holidays", that are all Christmas music until New Year's day. ::)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 12/03/05 at 3:18 pm

Bring on the cheese b/c I like that one.

Okay, I can't stand Feliz Navidad, is that wrong?

Written By: Marian on 12/03/05 at 3:35 pm

oh,isn't that "Police got my car"???I can't imagine Elvis's "Blue Christmas" being overplayed,though "Santa Bring My abby back to me"is definitely underplayed.And you NEVER hear anything by the Everly Brothers,though that could change with their current touring underway!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 12/03/05 at 3:48 pm

oh,isn't that "Police got my car"???I can't imagine Elvis's "Blue Christmas" being overplayed,though "Santa Bring My abby back to me"is definitely underplayed.And you NEVER hear anything by the Everly Brothers,though that could change with their current touring underway!

haha

Written By: EveHarrington79 on 12/03/05 at 4:29 pm

Interesting choices everybody! As for those 'All Holiday' format  radio stations, they didn't start doing that (at least around my area) until after 9/11. That's when it started and it's now become a tradition. I personally think it's great, however the playlists never change from year to year and that gets really old b/c there are tons of beautiful Christmas songs out there that NEVER get any airplay ever! Thank Heavens for my cd collection ;)

Written By: loki 13 on 12/03/05 at 6:24 pm

In Philadelphia Sunny 104.5 starts Christmas songs the day after Halloween
B101 starts soon after that.How is that for pushing a season.

Written By: zcrito on 12/03/05 at 6:37 pm

Oh I forgot one, Merry Christmas, Darling by the Carpenders.

Cat

Hey, I like that one.  :(

There are only about seven or so I like and that's one of them.

Written By: ADH13 on 12/03/05 at 7:06 pm

Well, I'm really into Christmas so I pretty much like all the Xmas songs, but I don't like Christmas Shoes either.. it's too depressing to be a Christmas song.  I'm not too crazy about "The Christmas Song (Chestnuts roasting on an open fire) either, but it's tolerable.

I love Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer though.

Has anyone done a thread for the top ten best Christmas songs yet?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/03/05 at 7:34 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: Dagwood on 12/03/05 at 7:44 pm

Has anyone done a thread for the top ten best Christmas songs yet?

There is one in the PPP.

Written By: ADH13 on 12/03/05 at 7:46 pm

There is one in the PPP.

Thanks... I found it after I had posted that question. :)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 12/04/05 at 1:15 am

In Philadelphia Sunny 104.5 starts Christmas songs the day after Halloween
B101 starts soon after that.How is that for pushing a season.

Sunny 104.5 actually does it as well all day on Christmas Day.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/04/05 at 2:05 am

In general, I don't like Christmas songs written after 1900.  There are some exceptions, mostly songs written and performed by a specific artist, not in the the pantheon of modern xmas pop.
Such as--

The Kinks: Father Christmas
Band Aid: Do They Know It's Christmas (Midge Ure/Bob Geldoff)
Frank Zappa: Uncle Bernie's Farm
William S. Burroughs & the Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy: The Junkie's Christmas

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/04/05 at 3:13 am

I LIKE 'The 12 Pains of Christmas'...it's FUNNY and also pretty much what Christmas is like for some people nowadays..the dam 'lights rigger-upper' is pretty funny..because dealing with those little lights where if one goes out they ALL stop working is frustrating to no end! And the annoying mother-in law and screaming kids...

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/04/05 at 12:25 pm

"Grandma Got Ran Over By A Reindeer" I never understood the hilarity in that song, although many get a kick out of it.

Written By: Billy Florio on 12/04/05 at 12:35 pm

In general, I don't like Christmas songs written after 1900.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/04/05 at 12:38 pm

I'll agree with you on both points. I like Wham!'s "Last Christmas"

I don't really like Feliz Navidad by Jose Feliciano, although I really like Jose Feliciano's other work - I just skip on that one!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 12/04/05 at 2:13 pm

I'll agree with you on both points. I like Wham!'s "Last Christmas"

I don't really like Feliz Navidad by Jose Feliciano, although I really like Jose Feliciano's other work - I just skip on that one!

same here! good thing to do!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/04/05 at 6:15 pm

I LIKE 'The 12 Pains of Christmas'...it's FUNNY and also pretty much what Christmas is like for some people nowadays..the dam 'lights rigger-upper' is pretty funny..because dealing with those little lights where if one goes out they ALL stop working is frustrating to no end! And the annoying mother-in law and screaming kids...

I like that one too. One of my best friends and I always do the chick with the "New Yowk" accent.  :D

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/04/05 at 6:21 pm

Ill feel stupid for saying this, but which Christmas songs were written before 1900?

Written By: whistledog on 12/04/05 at 7:09 pm

I love Last Christmas as well.  I have to hear it every christmas.  It always puts me in a festive mood :)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/04/05 at 11:05 pm

Most songs considered "Christmas carols."

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/04/05 at 11:11 pm

I'm a Traditional Christmas song junkie. I love the old hymns and pre-1900 tunes. I really love the pre-1950's Christmas music, too. A, heck - I like most Christmas songs, but if I REALLY want to get in the mood - I'll pull out my choral Christmas music.

There's a lot of beautiful choral Christmas music out there. 

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/04/05 at 11:56 pm

There's a lot of beautiful choral Christmas music out there.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/11/05 at 12:36 pm

I find that listening to most of the traditional, older carols makes me very sad because of memories with those carols, of my family, who I don't see or talk to anymore(believe me it's better that way with the way people like my sister are!) But I do enjoy the modern stuff like Dan Fogelberg's 'Same Auld Lang Syne" as well as the 'funny stuff' like "Twisted Christmas" and "Meowy Christmas"...and yes 'Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer' is sooooo overplayed, it's played out!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/11/05 at 3:41 pm

I think Mariah Carey did one called "All I Want for Christmas is You"  that I abhor.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 12/11/05 at 4:39 pm

Most Christmas somgs don't bother me, but I can't stand "The Little Drummer Boy." Whenever I hear that "Pa-rumpa-pum-pum" it irritates the hell out of me.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/11/05 at 4:41 pm

I find that listening to most of the traditional, older carols makes me very sad because of memories with those carols, of my family, who I don't see or talk to anymore(believe me it's better that way with the way people like my sister are!) But I do enjoy the modern stuff like Dan Fogelberg's 'Same Auld Lang Syne" as well as the 'funny stuff' like "Twisted Christmas" and "Meowy Christmas"...and yes 'Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer' is sooooo overplayed, it's played out!

I like "Same Auld Lang Syne," too... but darn it, this is about the worst of Christmas songs.. so lemme think of what I don't like, hmmm..

Ah yes, I agree, "Little Drummer Boy" can be a bit much. It's sort of like Ravel's "Bolero" It just keeps going and going.. lol.

Written By: kellygoo72 on 12/12/05 at 1:58 am

I know this seems mean but I dont like Christmas Shoes... I know I seem a bit mean but its so depressing...

Written By: Kryllith on 12/12/05 at 12:10 pm

I listen to Band Aid's "Do They Know it's Christmas" and Erasure's "Another Lonely Christmas" at home, but that's about it. On the radio I'll listen to Wham!'s "Last Christmas" a couple times, McCartney's "Wonderful Christmas Time" maybe once (used to like it more but it's dreadfully overplayed now), and The Waitresses's "Christmas Wrapping" more than the others, but other than those I typically change the channel.

Kryllith

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/12/05 at 12:24 pm

There are certain records if played, I refused to be in that shop!

Written By: Schillingfan on 12/16/05 at 9:58 pm

In no particular order, I despise these done by any artist, any time, in any style!

1. Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
2. Let It Snow
3. Santa Baby
4. Sleigh Ride
5. Santa Claus is Coming To Town
6. Rudolph the Rednose Reindeer
7. I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus
8. Little Drummer Boy
9. Frosty the Snowman
10. Walking In A Wnter Wonderland

Dishonorable mentions
11. Jingle Bell Rock
12. Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer
13. Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree

http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/wuerg/vomit-smiley-016.gif

Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree was played everywhere I went and it's starting to get redundant for me.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/17/05 at 8:28 am

Jingle Bells by Barry Manilow & Expose, is pretty dire.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/17/05 at 8:35 pm

Jingle Bells by Barry Manilow & Expose, is pretty dire.

File under "Crimes against humanity."

Written By: Schillingfan on 12/17/05 at 9:01 pm

My fave x-mas song is WHAM's "Last Christmas" because it was the 1st WHAM song I had heard on the radio and also because I like one of their songs

I also don't like "Jingle Bell Rock", that one is getting just as old as "Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree". I heard that song at the hairdressers today and I was practically on the verge of yelling "Shut Up" at the friggin' speaker on the ceiling.

Written By: The Dream on 12/18/05 at 12:08 am

Hmmm...I'd have to say The Little Drummer Boy, The Chipmunks Song (What is it they want? A freakin hula hoop or somethin???), That annoying "Do You Hear What I Hear" song, and "I want a hippopotamus for christmas" which is played on the oldies station...the singer of it sounds like that queer old lady from Poltregiest....

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/18/05 at 4:47 am

Hmmm...I'd have to say The Little Drummer Boy, The Chipmunks Song (What is it they want? A freakin hula hoop or somethin???), That annoying "Do You Hear What I Hear" song, and "I want a hippopotamus for christmas" which is played on the oldies station...the singer of it sounds like that queer old lady from Poltregiest....
The Do You Hear What I Hear by Bing Crosby is pleasant.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/18/05 at 11:32 pm

Christmas, Christmas time is here, time for joints and time for beer!
http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/weihnachten/xmas-smiley-040.gif

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/20/06 at 7:24 pm

I hate that Gloria Estefan one...Christmas Through Your Eyes....so annoying, and I hear it ALL the time. ::)

Written By: tnf on 12/26/06 at 10:49 am

I can't stand the Mariah Carey song 'All I want for Christmas is you'. Too fake, too happy, too plastic.

And that woman HERSELF irritates me also.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/26/06 at 10:56 am

I can't stand the Mariah Carey song 'All I want for Christmas is you'. Too fake, too happy, too plastic.

And that woman HERSELF irritates me also.
Even worse when it was played all the time yesterday on the Music Channels!

Written By: pink daisy on 12/30/06 at 7:23 pm

I don't like Mariah Carey either, but what really makes me want to run out of shops around christmas time is 'Wonderful Christmastime' by Paul Mccartney (eew, I just HATE it!) or absolutely anything by Cliff Richard.  Not exactly thrilled by Shakin' Stevens festive efforts either.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/31/06 at 8:23 am

I don't like Mariah Carey either, but what really makes me want to run out of shops around christmas time is 'Wonderful Christmastime' by Paul Mccartney (eew, I just HATE it!) or absolutely anything by Cliff Richard.  Not exactly thrilled by Shakin' Stevens festive efforts either.
If I hear these songs playing in a store or shop I literally walk out!

Written By: pink daisy on 01/01/07 at 4:51 am

A gentleman of taste and clearly a music lover!  Happy New Year  ;)

Written By: Stompgal on 01/01/07 at 5:02 am

I'm not too keen on Ashley Tisdale's version of Last Christmas. Although I like Fairytale of New York by The Pogues featuring Kirsty MacColl (RIP), I think it got overplayed last year and I also hate I Wish It Could Be A Wombling Merry Christmas Every Day by The Wombles.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/01/07 at 5:04 am

I'm not too keen on Ashley Tisdale's version of Last Christmas. Although I like Fairytale of New York by The Pogues featuring Kirsty MacColl (RIP), I think it got overplayed last year and I also hate I Wish It Could Be A Wombling Merry Christmas Every Day by The Wombles.
On this current release of Fairytale of New York by The Pogues, Kirsty MacColl was NOT credited on the cover of the disc.

Written By: whistledog on 01/01/07 at 1:16 pm

The 12 Days of Christmas.  It's repetitive, and somewhat boring.  No matter who sings it

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/01/07 at 1:18 pm

The 12 Days of Christmas.  It's repetitive, and somewhat boring.  No matter who sings it
Totally agree, even if the words have been changed to suit an occasion on media broadcast.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/01/07 at 1:18 pm

The Muppets do a good job of making it tolerable.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/01/07 at 2:25 pm

what really makes me want to run out of shops around christmas time is 'Wonderful Christmastime' by Paul Mccartney (eew, I just HATE it!)

ME TOO!

I also hate Barbara Streisand's version of "Jingle Bells" where she sings "JingleBellsJingleBellsJingleBellsJingleBells" as fast as she can.  It seriously pisses me off.

Written By: zcrito on 01/03/07 at 5:30 pm

The Twelve Days Of Christmas ?

This is from another web site. I don't know how much of it is true but it's interesting.

-------------------------------------------------------
The Twelve Days Of Christmas

From 1558 until 1829, Roman Catholics in England were not permitted to practice their faith openly. Someone during that era wrote this carol as a catechism song for young Catholics.

It has two levels of meaning: the surface meaning plus a hidden meaning known only to members of their church.

Each element in the carol has a code word for a religious reality which the children could remember.

The partridge in a pear tree was Jesus Christ.

Two turtle doves were the Old and New Testaments.

Three French hens stood for faith, hope and love.

The four calling birds were the four gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke & John.

The five golden rings recalled the Torah or Law,the first five books of the Old Testament.
The six geese a-laying stood for the six days of creation.

Seven swans a-swimming represented the sevenfold gifts of the Holy Spirit: Prophesy, Serving, Teaching, Exhortation, Contribution, Leadership and Mercy.

The eight maids a-milking were the eight beatitudes.

Nine ladies dancing were the nine fruits of the Holy Spirit: Love,Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness, Gentleness and Self Control.

The ten lords a-leaping were the ten commandments.

The eleven pipers piping stood for the eleven faithful disciples.

The twelve drummers drumming symbolized the twelve points of belief in the Apostles' Creed.

-------------------------------------------------------

Check for new replies or respond here...