inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Aren't greeting cards the biggest rip-off?

Written By: Satish on 12/05/05 at 12:47 pm

Has anyone else noticed how over-priced greeting cards are? They're just pieces of cardboard, but they can cost upwards of five dollars. Where's all that money go? They're really not worth it. What's the point of them, anyway? Companies like Hallmark are just ripping off people.

One time, I bought a present for someone, and I wanted to get a card with it, and I noticed that most of the cards at the store cost more than the actual gift!

I have decided to never buy another greeting card again, and I encourage everyone to do the same.

Subject: Re: Aren't greeting cards the biggest rip-off?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/05/05 at 2:00 pm

Too late, did it all ready!  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 12/05/05 at 2:21 pm

I know what you mean.  A piece of cardboard with a cheesy little poem can cost atleast 5 bucks.  I just assume make my own cards on my PC and make my own little poems for them.  It's cheaper, and it comes more from the heart

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/05/05 at 3:39 pm

I'm thinking of starting a niche market of greeting cards for the goth/black metal crowd: "Hellmark"!  You know, all gory graphics and captions such as, "Happy Birthday, Closer Creeps the Reaper!"  I think I might receive a swift legal injunction for "Hellmark," though!
:-\\

Written By: cs on 12/05/05 at 3:42 pm

Has anyone else noticed how over-priced greeting cards are? They're just pieces of cardboard, but they can cost upwards of five dollars. Where's all that money go? They're really not worth it. What's the point of them, anyway? Companies like Hallmark are just ripping off people.

One time, I bought a present for someone, and I wanted to get a card with it, and I noticed that most of the cards at the store cost more than the actual gift!

I have decided to never buy another greeting card again, and I encourage everyone to do the same.

Cheap gift, huh?  j/k

I didn't buy cards for about 8 years because of the prices.  Just started getting them again.  Now I try to find them at Dollar Tree of Big Lots.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/05/05 at 6:25 pm

I always buy my Christmas cards after Christmas (for the following year, of course) when they're marked down to around $1-1.50/box.

Written By: Skippy on 12/05/05 at 7:42 pm

Aren't greeting cards the biggest rip-off?

Only if you actually buy them, which I don't. Being the artistic type, I make my own. Anyone can make their own. All you really need are some templates and a computer

P.S. If you're reading this you have a computer

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/05/05 at 8:04 pm

Aren't greeting cards the biggest rip-off?

Only if you actually buy them, which I don't. Being the artistic type, I make my own. Anyone can make their own. All you really need are some templates and a computer

Written By: ADH13 on 12/05/05 at 8:09 pm

I usually don't buy greeting cards except for the boxed ones at Christmas time, which I don't think are a waste because alot of the pictures are really pretty.  I also buy sympathy cards because something that simple can be enough to make someone feel a little better.  I haven't bought a birthday card in years.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/05/05 at 8:53 pm

I usually buy cards at discount stores, they are usually a LOT cheaper than buying at Hallmark.

Written By: gemini on 12/06/05 at 8:56 am

I buy mine anywhere but the Hallmark shop or other card shops, as long as they're discounted.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/06/05 at 6:37 pm

I just buy the right card for the right moment. If it costs more than $5, I do consider that as a lot, and I often will look for something cheaper, but still has the same message.

For Christmas cards, the prices aren't too bad. I can get a box of Christmas cards for $11.95 with 20 in a box, so that's about .60 cents a card - not too shabby!

Written By: Marian on 12/06/05 at 8:20 pm

Valentine's Day was worse.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/06/05 at 9:54 pm

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Glad to have generated some mild enthusiasm there...
:)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/06/05 at 10:58 pm

Valentine's Day was worse.

Written By: Gis on 12/07/05 at 1:26 am

Valentines day full stop ! The day when half a dozen red roses treble in price, let alone a dozen !

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/07/05 at 1:10 pm

The only cards I buy now are Christmas cards (a few boxes) and we have a store where I can usually get them fairly cheap.  As for the other cards-we have a few card computer programs so I make them up as needed. The first program we got cost $5 and it has already paid for itself in spades. (I think the second one was free or maybe it was only $5 too.)

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/07/05 at 9:20 pm

I remember those, too. I remember handing them out between pre-school and 1st grade. I use to hate the fact that I never got that many but I gave everyone I knew one, even if I wasn't hot for them or anything, lol.

At that age, I hated having to pass out Valentine cards to the icky girls!  The gods are awfully backed up, but finally heard my cries of distress.  They issued me a decree this for this coming V-day: "No females for you to worry about this Valentine's day...except your mom!"  The do have a warped sense of humor, you know!
http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/travesmilies/valentinesday/smilie_liebe9.gif

Written By: thenewwavechick on 12/08/05 at 11:38 am

It seems like if I don't send out Christmas cards people feel like I don't like them, so I send them out.  I just was going through my apartment and found two boxes of Christmas cards I bought after Christmas for $5 each.  I'm planning on doing that again.  ;D

Written By: Mistress Leola on 12/08/05 at 6:32 pm

Greeting cards are the stupidest things in creation, and an absolutely brilliant coup.  Everybody has gotten suckered into buying these things, even though we all know how frickin' stupid they are.  I mean, really -- when have you ever gotten a greeting card you really enjoyed or found meaningful?  Once, maybe, in your entire life?  And then, probably only if it was funny!  The sentimental ones are just laughable, because they basically send the message, "you mean so much to me that I just couldn't be bothered to look you in the eye and express my feelings to you in my own words... so here's some trite, generic pablum churned out by some failed would-be romance novelist.  Have a nice day"  And everyone buys them!  Brilliant.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/08/05 at 7:29 pm

Greeting cards are the stupidest things in creation, and an absolutely brilliant coup.

Written By: Mistress Leola on 12/08/05 at 9:40 pm

Yes, greeting cards have become commercialized and may have lost most which was meaningful when they were new and marketed with more sagacity, but I don't see them as the stupidest creation ever made. We may forfeit our own creativity by purchasing greeting cards, but that doesn't mean we can't add to these marketing ploys. I always personalize my cards even though I know they can look and sound as generic as one can be. As most people say, "It's the thought that counts" - and if a cheap (or expensive) card is going to be the thought, then I don't see them as meaningless as you make them out to be.

No, they're not meaningless.  They mean:

"you mean so much to me that I just couldn't be bothered to look you in the eye and express my feelings to you in my own words... so here's some trite, generic pablum churned out by some failed would-be romance novelist.  Have a nice day"

Written By: thenewwavechick on 12/08/05 at 11:05 pm

*sigh*
I guess I'm not a good person since I sent out greeting cards.  I am very impersonal to send them out.  ::)

Written By: DJ Midas on 12/08/05 at 11:59 pm

I always buy my Christmas cards after Christmas (for the following year, of course) when they're marked down to around $1-1.50/box.

Written By: Mistress Leola on 12/09/05 at 12:17 am

*sigh*
I guess I'm not a good person since I sent out greeting cards.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/09/05 at 2:55 am

No, they're not meaningless.

Written By: Satish on 12/11/05 at 1:43 pm

OK, I've done some checking, and apparently there are indeed stores where you can get greeting cards for less than a dollar each(corner shops and dollar stores, and such). But I've noticed that even at most of the big chain retailers like Wal-Mart, most of the cards don't cost less than three dollars(and those are the stores where most people do their shopping these days).

I still say the major brand name greeting cards like Hallmark and American Greetings are exorbitantly over-priced.  >:(

Written By: thenewwavechick on 12/11/05 at 2:29 pm

Good lord, please don't think my post means anything.

I was just being sarcastic.  :D  No harm done.  :)

Written By: Stompgal on 12/31/05 at 6:44 am

This year, I got Christmas cards from my penfriend in Swansea and my high school teaching assistant. The card from my assistant has Chav jokes.

Check for new replies or respond here...