inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: American driver to compete in F1 for first time since 1993

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 12/07/05 at 1:06 am

Speed to Be 1st American at F1 Since 1993

By STEPHEN WADE, AP Sports Writer
Tue Dec 6, 6:43 PM ET

LONDON - An American driver is back in Formula One racing for the first time in more than a decade.

Scott Speed, a 22-year-old Californian, was chosen Tuesday to drive next season for the Scuderia Toro Rosso team. He's the first American in the series since Michael Andretti in 1993.

"I'm very serious about establishing myself in Formula One as one of the talented guys out there

Subject: Re: American driver to compete in F1 for first time since 1993

Written By: Skippy on 12/07/05 at 1:08 pm

I'm happy to hear he got the ride.  :)  I'm not happy that now that's all Bob Varsha will be yammering on about throughout the whole F1 season.  ::)
Let's all hope he does better than that Andretti chap did back in the 90's.  :-X He's up against some pretty high talent.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/07/05 at 8:26 pm

It's cool that an American got into F1...but you know what I wonder about F1 drivers...could they have the cojones to race three or four-wide with 42 other drivers who do not necessarily care about what certain individuals do on the track and when it's time to race don't care if they're teammates,sometimes?..guys like Tony Stewart, Dale Earnhardt Jr., Jeff Gordon, Kurt Busch, Mark Martin, Elliott Sadler, Kevin Harvick, Kasey Kahne, Jamie McMurray...Yeah I know that Stewart, Gordon, and Kasey Kahne come from open-wheel style racing..but a NASCAR stock car is a different type of race car...800 horsepower and heavier than an open-wheel racer...these are not all that easy to control even with the best of track, tires, and race-day weather conditions.

Yes I respect that an American is now in Formula One, but my idea of racing is Nextel Cup. I've said in earlier racing posts about why F1 does not interest me all that much.
To each their own though.Any racing fan is cool with me.

Written By: Skippy on 12/07/05 at 9:37 pm

Yeah I know that Stewart, Gordon, and Kasey Kahne come from open-wheel style racing..but a NASCAR stock car is a different type of race car...800 horsepower and heavier than an open-wheel racer...these are not all that easy to control even with the best of track, tires, and race-day weather conditions.

Apparently you didn't watch "Gordon/Montoya Tradin

Written By: gord on 12/08/05 at 5:50 am

It's cool that an American got into F1...but you know what I wonder about F1 drivers...could they have the cojones to race three or four-wide with 42 other drivers

I'm pretty sure they have these 'cojones' you speak of ;) to reach f1 as a driver is the top of ladder, there is nowhere else to go but down. And to compare the 2 is beyond apples and oranges.

It is great news about Speed, I've watched him this past season a little bit in gp2. With the team he's going to he'll likely be running around the back of the pack, but to prove himself all he has to do is beat his teammate.

Written By: Skippy on 12/08/05 at 2:44 pm

It is great news about Speed, I've watched him this past season a little bit in gp2. With the team he's going to he'll likely be running around the back of the pack, but to prove himself all he has to do is beat his teammate.

True, true. Too many people forget that racers such as Ayrton Senna and Michael Schumacher 
started at the bottom and climbed the "ladder" to the top. There ain't no free rides in F1, no "lucky dogs" either. On another note, it's sad that Eddie Jordan will be gone since he was a major factor in giving promising drivers the chance to develop.

Written By: gord on 12/08/05 at 7:27 pm

it's sad that Eddie Jordan will be gone since he was a major factor in giving promising drivers the chance to develop.

right about Eddie, also Peter Sauber will be missed, his team was bought by BMW and will be a full factory team, which is very positive.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/08/05 at 7:34 pm

I'm pretty sure they have these 'cojones' you speak of ;) to reach f1 as a driver is the top of ladder, there is nowhere else to go but down. And to compare the 2 is beyond apples and oranges.

Sorry if I sound ignorant, but I am just a NASCAR nut...
If you honestly wanna talk about real cojones and major speed/horsepower....NHRA is cool. and oh yeah, all those bada$$es who race true 'supercars' on the Bonneville Salt Flats.

Written By: Skippy on 12/08/05 at 7:45 pm

If you honestly wanna talk about real cojones and major speed/horsepower....NHRA is cool. and oh yeah, all those bada$$es who race true 'supercars' on the Bonneville Salt Flats.
Must watch NHRA, I'm a nitro-nut. Burns the eyes and throat, vibrations from the engine beat against your chest, under 5 seconds of hang on for your life brute horsepower..YeeeeHaaaaa  ;D
Frankly I always got big butterflies every time I pulled up to the staging beam in my lowly 11 second Chevell SS. I don't know how those pro-class guys do it.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 12/08/05 at 8:06 pm

Sone of my favorite racing is on dirt. You wanna talk cojones? Look no further than the World of Outlaws series. These guys are going 3 or 4 wide at 120 mph on 1/3 and 1/4 mile dirt tracks in cars that weigh 1200 lbs and put out 800 hp. I like to think that I'd have the balls to strap myself into a race car, but I don't think I'd ever be crazy enough to go near an Outlaw sprinter. (Don't forget, TonyFan, that's where your boy got his start. ;)
  I enjoy all kinds of racing, and I think that all forms of it require basically the same kinds of skills, when you really get down to it. You know what I'd really like to see? I'd like to see a motorsports equivalent of the Olympics, where you have the top drivers from each country competing in different events (road courses, paved and dirt ovals, rally stages, 1/4 mile drags, etc). Do it once every 4 years, like the regular Olympics, and see who the best really is once and for all! 

Written By: Skippy on 12/08/05 at 8:52 pm

Sone of my favorite racing is on dirt. You wanna talk cojones? Look no further than the World of Outlaws series. These guys are going 3 or 4 wide at 120 mph on 1/3 and 1/4 mile dirt tracks in cars that weigh 1200 lbs and put out 800 hp. I like to think that I'd have the balls to strap myself into a race car, but I don't think I'd ever be crazy enough to go near an Outlaw sprinter.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 12/08/05 at 9:00 pm

Written By: Skippy on 12/08/05 at 9:10 pm

How cool would it be if there was a month-long "Motorsport Olympics"?!?

Written By: gord on 12/09/05 at 11:08 am

Sorry if I sound ignorant, but I am just a NASCAR nut...

you don't have to be sorry, I was just sticking up for f1 drivers ;)

yep drag racing and land speed is cool

how about motorcycle roadracing, these guys lean the bikes right over and drag their knees. with the amout of tire in contact with the pavement no bigger than the palm of your hand holding them to the road. The Isle Of Man TT in England is completely insane.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 12/10/05 at 8:36 am

I came up with a few ideas for how they could make NASCAR more entertaining:

The Minneapolis 500. Everyone knows those boys down South can't drive in the snow. Make them race in Minnesota in January. And don't plow the track before the race. They'd all be spinning out and doing cookies. Hell, put me in a car, I'd probably beat 'em!

The Clockwise 500. Make them run backwards, just for one race. That would totally screw them up. And, after the race, since they were running backwards, the winner could do the opposite of a "Polish Victory Lap"...they could call it an "American Victory Lap."

The Revenge Of The Nerds MADD Dash. Just like in the movie, every lap they have to chug a beer. Mandatory piss stop every 5 laps. Last man standing wins. Oh yeah, and no restrictor plates.

;)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/10/05 at 7:00 pm

I came up with a few ideas for how they could make NASCAR more entertaining:

The Minneapolis 500. Everyone knows those boys down South can't drive in the snow. Make them race in Minnesota in January. And don't plow the track before the race. They'd all be spinning out and doing cookies. Hell, put me in a car, I'd probably beat 'em!
Hey..Tony Stewart has been known to turn off the traction control on his car, in Indiana, in the snow for kicks...he'll go flying down a deserted street, just for the h*ll of it! But yes he makes sure the street's deserted....

The Clockwise 500. Make them run backwards, just for one race. That would totally screw them up. And, after the race, since they were running backwards, the winner could do the opposite of a "Polish Victory Lap"...they could call it an "American Victory Lap."

The Revenge Of The Nerds MADD Dash. Just like in the movie, every lap they have to chug a beer. Mandatory piss stop every 5 laps. Last man standing wins. Oh yeah, and no restrictor plates.

;)

Check for new replies or respond here...