inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Most Annoying TV Pitchman / Informercial Host

Written By: zotsfreak on 12/22/05 at 6:36 am

Do you know who I just saw for the first time in a while? 
Mr. ULTRA-HYPER, SCREAMING-AT

Subject: Re: Most Annoying TV Pitchman / Informercial Host

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/22/05 at 9:45 am

oh GOSH...that guy is SO annoying!  He needs to cut off his ponytail, hang it up and face the facts that nobody thinks he is cool! LOL!  I cannot stomach that Matt Lesko character that wears the ultra bright tacky outfits, and claims that he can get you free money from the government if you buy his book....ya right! ::)

Written By: whistledog on 12/22/05 at 9:55 am

Matthew Lesko is the king of annoying informercial hosts  ;D

Written By: zotsfreak on 12/22/05 at 11:31 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: whistledog on 12/22/05 at 11:41 am

Not sure if this counts as an infomercial, but how about Miss Cleo? 

http://www.usedwigs.com/graphics/miss_cleo.jpg

She was a Jamaican who claimed the tarot cards could read much about your future.  In actual fact, she was an American using a fake accent, who couldn't even predict that she'd be cancelled.  Instead of telling your fortune, she steals it instead  ;D

http://www.brokennewz.com/movies/tarotterror.jpg

Written By: zotsfreak on 12/22/05 at 12:13 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/22/05 at 6:04 pm

The one I don;t like is that woman selling the diet pills.

"These pills work so well, they are TOO POWERFUL for casual dieters!"

Yeah, right...  ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/22/05 at 8:47 pm

[quote author=Ły

Written By: whistledog on 12/22/05 at 10:18 pm

Matthew Lesko is definitely the most annoying pitchman.

Written By: GREG2 on 12/22/05 at 10:38 pm

Great subject!  To me, the most annoying, and dangerous, TV pitchman is Kevin Trudeau, the jackass who has for some time been selling his book, Natural Cures "They" Don't Want You To Know About.  This guy is currently working despite FTC orders (which he signed) banning him from making any "disease or health benefits claims for any type of product, service, or program in any advertising, including print, radio, Internet, television, and direct mail solicitations, regardless of the format and duration."  Unfortunately, the fines he regularly pays are nothing compared to what he makes from duping the gullible.  He has previously pitched memory scams, the infamous "Coral Calcium" product, and the ridiculous "Biotape."  Of course, people like him will continue to prosper as long as a significant portion of the population wallows in ignorance and gullibility, a good indicator of which is the popularity of infomercials.

Written By: Harmonica on 12/22/05 at 11:39 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/22/05 at 11:40 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: Harmonica on 12/22/05 at 11:42 pm

Gotta Respect Tony Little though...the man had the dignity and class to make fun of himself on a Geico commerical.

AND don't forget Billy Hayes!  He's on TV in 1995 saying, "BUT YOU HAVE TO ORDER NOW!!!" and Oxy Clean and it's commericals are sitll going strong 11 years later.  "THIS IS NOT SOLD IN STORES", with what exception to Target, Wal-Mart, K-Mart and Dollar General?

Written By: Harmonica on 12/22/05 at 11:45 pm

He is making millions of dollars---of free enterprise by writing useless books purportedly showing the suckers how to get free money from the government!

Written By: whistledog on 12/22/05 at 11:45 pm

AND don't forget Billy Hayes!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/22/05 at 11:47 pm

But you never get anything for Free, I guarantee you no matter what it is, it came from somewhere and there is a price to pay for it.

NOTHING is Free.

I think that's one of the laws of thermodynamics, eh?

Written By: whistledog on 12/22/05 at 11:48 pm

But you never get anything for Free, I guarantee you no matter what it is, it came from somewhere and there is a price to pay for it.

NOTHING is Free.

Breathing is free

... but then again, the air we breath is generated by plants, which are grown in the ground, on a piece of land, owned by some guy who pays tax on that land

Written By: Harmonica on 12/23/05 at 12:01 am

I think that's one of the laws of thermodynamics, eh?

Mabye

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/23/05 at 12:01 am

Great subject!

Written By: GWBush2004 on 12/23/05 at 4:48 am

It had to be these two clowns:

http://img.coxnewsweb.com/C/02/99/82/image_382992.jpg

The commercials stopped around 2004 after the "Wolfman" (seen in picture on the left) died.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/23/05 at 12:01 pm

I find Barry Williams (Greg Brady) rather annoying.  He's been pitching that goofy '70s Time Life pop hits collection along with what's-her-name.

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 12/23/05 at 12:10 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/23/05 at 12:31 pm

remember psychic Micki Dahne? She was a real winner...and yet, she still has her own website!! LOL! :D

http://www.mickidahne.com/index.html

Written By: NullandVoid on 12/24/05 at 12:05 am

Any commercials with "lawyer types" sitting in front of bookshelf telling me even if i lose my case is still get money.....riiiight.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/24/05 at 12:32 am

The man has a rap sheet to beat no other con on TV....he used to live (he might still live) in my hometown and last I heard, was dating one of my brother's ex's (who managed to burn up his Ferrari on I-88 a few years back).

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 12/25/05 at 8:52 pm

There was this late-night home shopping show that used to come on every night at about midnight, where they would hawk various sports memorabilia, and the host was this guy named (I believe) Don West, who sported a mullet and a mustache and was just a tad too overenthusiastic.  He seemed to have an especially big hardon for Ken Griffey, Jr., and his already loud voice would always go up an extra notch every time he'd have something up for sale that was signed by the Griff.  "And now, we have an authentic, game-worn jersey autographed by none other than KEN...GRIFFEY...JEE-UUUNIOR!!! He was annoying, to be sure, but at the same time my brother and I thought he was kind of funny at the same time.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/25/05 at 11:05 pm

Any commercials with "lawyer types" sitting in front of bookshelf telling me even if i lose my case is still get money.....riiiight.

They didn't used to allow lawyers to advertize on TV...for our good AND theirs!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/26/05 at 8:26 pm

[quote author=Ły

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/30/06 at 10:49 pm

definitely Tony Little!!

http://www.taylorgifts.com/images/p18304_500.jpg

Subject: Re: Most Annoying TV Pitchman / Infomercial Host

Written By: nally on 09/30/06 at 10:53 pm

Has anyone mentioned Billy Mays, "Mr. Oxi Clean"? :P I think he's one of the most annoying tv pitchman/infomercial host.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/30/06 at 10:58 pm

Has anyone mentioned Billy Mays, "Mr. Oxi Clean"? :P I think he's one of the most annoying tv pitchman/infomercial host.

I don't think anyone mentioned him on this particular thread...but he has a thread dedicated to him on the boards! LOL! ;D :D

Written By: whistledog on 09/30/06 at 10:59 pm

Gotta be Kevin Trudeau.  I wanna beat the hell out of him so bad ;D

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c157/jkowmak/KevinTrudeau.jpg

Written By: nally on 09/30/06 at 11:01 pm

I don't think anyone mentioned him on this particular thread...but he has a thread dedicated to him on the boards! LOL! ;D :D

Cool... I think I oughtta check it out! :D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/30/06 at 11:09 pm

Gotta be Kevin Trudeau.  I wanna beat the hell out of him so bad ;D

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c157/jkowmak/KevinTrudeau.jpg

I've never heard of him...what does he advertise?

Written By: whistledog on 09/30/06 at 11:20 pm

I've never heard of him...what does he advertise?

Books that he authors on Real Estate Investment strategies and books on health and dietary supplements.  His latest book is this one, which he also charges a fortune for :o

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0975599518.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

He makes false claims in his books, and has been charged thousands of dollars by the FTC because of it.  In 1990, he went to Prison for 2 years after pleading guilty to Larceny (He posed as a Doctor so he could write false checks worth tens of thousand of dollars, which he used for his own purposes)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Trudeau

Written By: Wiffle on 09/30/06 at 11:35 pm

There was another pitchman that the FTC went after, I think he declared bankrupcy several times. The name I have in my head is Don Dupre (?) and he was a real young guy who did real estate infomercials and perhaps vitamins. He used to tape his infomercials while sitting around the pool. He had substantial property in Phoenix, I remember one night just pulling up all his properties on line. He was nationwide in his scams, though. And eventually he got himself a buxom wife to be a part of the scams.

Written By: Jeffpcmt on 10/01/06 at 7:03 pm

Books that he authors on Real Estate Investment strategies and books on health and dietary supplements.  His latest book is this one, which he also charges a fortune for :o

I didnt have to pay a fortune for it either.  I just sat and read most of it at Barnes & Noble  :P  .  He does have some interesting things to say in it about the state of health care and the politics surrounding it.  I am an alternative healthcare practitioner so I whole heartedly like some of what he has to say (even though its a one sided spin just think of it as another book by a political pundit).  But, its certainly not worth the (dont quote me on it) $29.95 list price. 

Written By: whistledog on 10/01/06 at 7:08 pm

I didnt have to pay a fortune for it either.  I just sat and read most of it at Barnes & Noble   :P  .  He does have some interesting things to say in it about the state of health care and the politics surrounding it.  I am an alternative healthcare practitioner so I whole heartedly like some of what he has to say (even though its a one sided spin just think of it as another book by a political pundit).  But, its certainly not worth the (dont quote me on it) $29.95 list price. 

When you order it through TV, it comes in a package deal with a bunch of other stuff, plus a subscription to his newsletter. 
Would you ever use his methods though?  He claims that he had some incureable disease, and went to Mexico and got some treatment for it that is illegal in the States.  He said it works, but all kinds of qualified doctors say that it's a hoax.  When it comes to your health, you should never take shortcuts

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/02/06 at 1:38 am

I'm afraid the most annoying pitchman is yet to come.  Pitchmen were always annoying, but we got used to them and started ignoring them.  So the pitchmen had overbearing, in your face, cartwheeling clowns.  Hence, Matthew Lesko.  What happens when we develop a tolerance to Matthew Lesko?  What then?

:o

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/02/06 at 2:28 am

I'm afraid the most annoying pitchman is yet to come.  Pitchmen were always annoying, but we got used to them and started ignoring them.  So the pitchmen had overbearing, in your face, cartwheeling clowns.  Hence, Matthew Lesko.  What happens when we develop a tolerance to Matthew Lesko?  What then?

Ummm, it's called "changing the channel".  Novel sh*t.

Written By: whistledog on 10/02/06 at 2:38 am

I find Matthew Lesko is less annoying these days, but that's only because I haven't seen his face on TV in a while.  Maybe viewer write-ins forced the networks to cancel his informercials.  PRobably not, but damn it, we can only dream lol

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/02/06 at 8:14 pm

[quote author=

Written By: hesperus on 09/06/11 at 6:58 pm

Tangent to the subject of TV hawkers are a handful of nasally blowhard jerks who make listening to radio, especially streaming radio, a real test of Christian charity.  I don't know the name of a particular one of these morons (wish I did know), but he seems to have a corner on the streaming radio ad market.  God only knows why.  He talks though his nose, is melodramatically exuberant, greatly over emphasizes final words and phrases and seems to think listeners all are six-year-olds.  I swear he is hawking at least ten different companies and products, including Service Magic, a reverse mortgage service, and Invent Help, to name three.  The upshot of that is that listeners may be treated to two or three of his grittingly mealy mouthed ads consecutively.  How this overblown jerk ever got a job broadcasting anything more significant than a junior highschool football game is a great mystery of the universe.  I'd love to kick his ass up between his ears along with the lose-weight smoothie hysterical screamer.

Written By: Howard on 09/06/11 at 7:49 pm

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTe8yHQ74f5mcyZAVaxTh9oN0eMAWEVPk8kQHsp2Lt5hRJiWQ3DAg

The Shamwow Guy Vince Shlomi

Written By: King Tut on 09/06/11 at 8:17 pm

Most annoying --. If there were 178 Informercial Hosts, wouldn't there be a 178 way tie?

Written By: whistledog on 09/07/11 at 8:24 am

Peter Popoff.  As annoying as he is, I enjoy falling asleep while watching his show.  I wanna get some of his Miracle Mana and have myself a Scam Sandwich.  Then watch it down with some Miracle Spring Water :D

Check for new replies or respond here...