inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "Real Centuries"

Written By: DevoRule on 12/24/05 at 12:38 am

Okay, so I have a one-tracked mind  ;D  Please don't get annoyed by this thread, but anyone who isn't tired of this stuff please post!

What is the 19th Century?  The "Frontier Days", maybe.  Would that be 1801 to 1900?  Not really.  I'd say it was more like 1792 to 1913.

Here's my "real" centuries, that is, based on historical events rather than New Year's celebrations:

Beginning of Time - 400 A.D. Antiquity

Medieval Age:

Dark Ages: 400-900 A.D.
Middle Ages: 900-1452 A.D.

Rennaisance:

1400s: 1453-1491 (short century)
1500s: 1492-1608

Colonial Age:

1600s/1700s "mega-century" (I really see these two centuries as about the same, correctly or not): 1609-1791
19th Century: 1792-1913 (this was a long one)

Early Technological Age:

20th Century: 1914-1990
21st Century: 1991-present

Subject: Re: "Real Centuries"

Written By: bbigd04 on 12/24/05 at 12:48 am

Hey DevoRule. How are u? What did ya think of '05?

Written By: DevoRule on 12/24/05 at 2:11 am

I'm good :)

Personally, a big year as I've been dedicated to my new band Posse of Two.  This year I went from making mixtapes to getting the #16 hip hop song (actually, calling my music hip hop is a bit of a stretch) in Oregon on Soundclick.

Pop culturally, though, ummm... bleh.  Movies sucked from the beginning, although "Batman" and "War of the Worlds" were fun and I heard "Hitchhiker's Guide" was good but I missed it!  >:(  Nonetheless, this is probably the worst movie year ever.  Do we really need a "Narnia" movie?

Music ... well it seemed to be going into really good territory until Mariah Carey came and sent it all back.  It seems like 1998 all over again now as soon as things were changing.  I still can't understand why "We Belong Together" was the #1 song of the year, "Emancipation" sold 4 million copies, and the followups were all hits in their own right.  At least the Backstreet Boys comeback wasn't huge, although I wouldn't quite call it a flop. 

Politics/News: 10th Planet found, that's cool; Iraq/Middle East stuff as usual, the Katrina tragedy, earthquakes, the Tsunami aftermath at the beginning of the year, London attacks, quite tulmultous but calmer now. 

TV: Lost, cancellation of "Chappelle's Show", reality crap as usual, slew of "Lost" ripoffs.  Not much.

In a word, 2005 has sucked, just like every year of the 2000s, although 2004 was okay.  Oh well, technology's good.

Written By: bbigd04 on 12/24/05 at 2:34 am

I'm good :)

Personally, a big year as I've been dedicated to my new band Posse of Two.

Written By: DevoRule on 12/24/05 at 5:57 pm

I like Mariah, as you can see in my avatar, lol. Of couse I like a lot of '90s type R&B, but I like alternative/rock as well. In a world of 50 cent, Eminem, and all those other dumb rappers, someone who can actually sing is good. We Belong Together is overrated, but it's pretty good imo. I liked the killers' hit Mr. Brightside, Weezer's Beverly Hills, Gorillaz's Feel good inc., Kelly Clarkson- Since you been gone, Green Day. I thought music was somewhat better than 2004.

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/25/05 at 2:09 pm

Okay, so I have a one-tracked mind

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/25/05 at 2:20 pm

I like Mariah, as you can see in my avatar, lol. Of couse I like a lot of '90s type R&B, but I like alternative/rock as well. In a world of 50 cent, Eminem, and all those other dumb rappers, someone who can actually sing is good. We Belong Together is overrated, but it's pretty good imo.

To be honest, I only heard "We Belong Together" like, once or twice. I didn't love it or much remember it, although I didn't hate it either - it was just kind of "blah". In fact, I would say that's the impression I get from many pop songs in the last 6 or 7 years.

Maybe because I've listened to music since the age of, like 3 or 4, I've become a harsh critic over the years - in other words, it's harder for me to instantly like alot of songs. They have to grow on me over time.

I don't see it happening with her stuff, though. She's still a big name, but past her peak, IMO. I don't think she's gonna have any more "Somdday" hits like it's 1992 anymore, but she'll still be a big seller (another trend with many artists lately it seems).

I liked the killers' hit Mr. Brightside, Weezer's Beverly Hills, Gorillaz's Feel good inc., Kelly Clarkson- Since you been gone, Green Day. I thought music was somewhat better than 2004.

I actually like most of these songs. :)

They are/were all big hits, but you'll also notice, they never quite exploded the way Van Halen did in 1984 or Nirvana did in 1992, again, I think because of rap's deathgrip on the pop charts.

Not really a memorable year for movies. TV: I like a few shows like My Name is Earl, Housewives, Lost, and some other sitcoms that have been on for a while. the backstreet boys was forgotten once Incomplete fell from the charts. "Just Want you to know" is a really really bad song, I think it killed them for good, lol.

I saw the pilot of My Name is Earl - pretty funny, but still not quite enough to draw me into watching any later episodes. They pretty much introduced his character, with some stuff about his past (basically the premise of a lifelong jerk suddenly trying to do good with his life) and it seems like it has run out of ideas, if you know what I mean.

I do wonder if the popularity of sitcoms in general isn't quite as big as it used to be (it reached a peak in the 90's with Seinfeld, Home Improvement, Mad About You, and other good ones).

I know next to nothing about Lost, Desperate Housewives, etc. They looked too "reality show-ish" to me in previews. ;D

Written By: bbigd04 on 12/25/05 at 4:26 pm

To be honest, I only heard "We Belong Together" like, once or twice. I didn't love it or much remember it, although I didn't hate it either - it was just kind of "blah". In fact, I would say that's the impression I get from many pop songs in the last 6 or 7 years.

Maybe because I've listened to music since the age of, like 3 or 4, I've become a harsh critic over the years - in other words, it's harder for me to instantly like alot of songs. They have to grow on me over time.

I don't see it happening with her stuff, though. She's still a big name, but past her peak, IMO. I don't think she's gonna have any more "Somdday" hits like it's 1992 anymore, but she'll still be a big seller (another trend with many artists lately it seems).

I actually like most of these songs. :)

They are/were all big hits, but you'll also notice, they never quite exploded the way Van Halen did in 1984 or Nirvana did in 1992, again, I think because of rap's deathgrip on the pop charts.

I saw the pilot of My Name is Earl - pretty funny, but still not quite enough to draw me into watching any later episodes. They pretty much introduced his character, with some stuff about his past (basically the premise of a lifelong jerk suddenly trying to do good with his life) and it seems like it has run out of ideas, if you know what I mean.

I do wonder if the popularity of sitcoms in general isn't quite as big as it used to be (it reached a peak in the 90's with Seinfeld, Home Improvement, Mad About You, and other good ones).

I know next to nothing about Lost, Desperate Housewives, etc. They looked too "reality show-ish" to me in previews. ;D

Since U Been Gone was the no.4 song of the year. All the songs I named are non-rap songs in the top 20 or so, there's some other ones as well like Lonely No More by Rob Thomas. I believe Smells Like Teen Spirit, Nirvana's biggest hit was no.32 or so on the 1992 Hot 100, no doubt it was a big song, but it didn't chart all that high in that year. I believe I counted about 37 rap songs on the 2005 hot 100, that's about the same as 2004. But there's 60 other songs from different genres on there as well. Rap is no doubt a dominant genre, but there's plenty of non-rap songs that become huge hits, especially this year.

Written By: DevoRule on 12/26/05 at 2:11 am

You're right about 1776 McFly; the 1776-1792 period was kinda a "bridge" period the way the 1990s were a bridge into the 21st Century.  The American and French Revolutions really started the Frontier era and the first Industrial Revolution was around that time too.

Good observation about the Civil War too; I'm amazed that there's photographs from that era!  The 1860s were the first decade in which real technology came about I think, and by the 1880s electric lights began to come around, although I don't think it was until the 1930s that electricity really became a must-have.  The late 1800s had railroads too; they weren't entirely pre-technological.  The "Wild West" era, while many swear upon it ending in 1900, really went on I think until WWI.

Come to think of it, 1800 to 1900 wasn't that much less a difference than 1900 to 2000. Less of a difference, definitely, but not hugely so.

Unless something huge happens in the next couple decades (which is quite possible) I think the 20th Century is quite indisputably 1914 to 1990, inclusive. 

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 12/26/05 at 11:52 am

^Ofcourse you are talking about industrialized nations, because someone living in poverty stricken rural African nation could very well be living the same life that someone did 50 years or 100 years ago.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/02/06 at 8:29 pm

^Ofcourse you are talking about industrialized nations, because someone living in poverty stricken rural African nation could very well be living the same life that someone did 50 years or 100 years ago.  To them all this 20th century, 21st century and 80s/90s talk is meaningless nonsense.  These thoughts just occured to me, that's why I'm typing them...that not everyone in the world is "up to date" with the industrialized nations, or a wealthy Western country like the USA or Canada.  For them what's the difference between now and 1983?  I guess back then the relief workers that visited wore tight Jordache jeans, but would they care.

Anyway, someone in 2065 will probably see little difference between the late 20th century and the early 21st century.  Who knows when "the real" 21st century will come around.  Probably the 2020s.   

Of course that's true.  I think this post is more about the Western world.  Some countries, I'm sure, had our Eighties during the Nineties!

Check for new replies or respond here...