inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: NASCAR has midget competitions...

Written By: EthanM on 01/01/06 at 12:19 am

And Tony Stewart won. I saw this in Yahoo sports and I know very little about NASCAR but this seems odd. So what is a midget competition? I think I've seen Tony Stewart on TV and don't remember him being a midget.

Subject: Re: NASCAR has midget competitions...

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/01/06 at 8:35 am

And Tony Stewart won. I saw this in Yahoo sports and I know very little about NASCAR but this seems odd. So what is a midget competition? I think I've seen Tony Stewart on TV and don't remember him being a midget.

You misunderatand.  A midget competition is not a race where the midgets are drivers.

In midget competition, they use midgets as pylons (you know, like the orange cones you see at road sites), and they deduct points if you hit one.

Written By: Get real on 01/01/06 at 9:16 am

^
Dumbass, a midget is a type of race car. Similar to a sprint car, but smaller, powered by a 4 or 6 cylinder engine.

Written By: EthanM on 01/01/06 at 10:59 am

I jnew midgets weren't drivers just wondered what that was. As I said, I know very little about professional racing... but I think lyricboy was kidding

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/01/06 at 5:25 pm

[quote author=Ły

Written By: YWN on 01/02/06 at 3:22 pm

[quote author=Ły

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/02/06 at 5:05 pm

Actually, they use small children sometimes.  I know this from experience; I was six years old and my grandfather who had taken me to the NASCAR event had a bit too much to drink and volunteered me.

...I still can't watch the NASCAR channel without bursting into tears.
hahahahahahaha!
To be serious, a midget race car is how many of the younger NASCAR drivers got their start in racing...Jeff Gordon was already driving a quarter-midget race car at only five years old.....

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 01/02/06 at 7:49 pm

How did "Wee-Man" do?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/03/06 at 6:26 pm

How did "Wee-Man" do?
I think Tony Stewart races anything with wheels on it....IMO "Smoke" is a racer's racer. I know that other NASCAR drivers like Mark Martin think he's the best currently driving in NASCAR.

Seriously, it's gonna be a little sad for me, Nextel Cup without one of it's veteran drivers, Rusty Wallace is now retired. And Mark Martin is gone after 2006.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 01/03/06 at 6:49 pm

Actually, that was a joke. "Wee-Man" was a 4 foot tall skateboarding champion who was also a regular cast member on the old MTV show "Jackass."

As far as NASCAR racing midget cars, I didn't know they included that class now (I always thought that the midgets were sanctioned by USAC). But I do remember a few years back seeing Tony Stewart racing a midget car on some 1/2 mile track somewhere in the Midwest (Ohio or Indiana). This was well after he switched over to NASCAR, and this race was in the middle of the week and it was clear to me that he took time out of his busy schedule to participate in this event. Apparently Tony The Tiger pushed his car a little too hard, as he blew his motor and was out of the race early, but then ESPN showed him hanging out in the pits with the other local drivers, just clowning around and being one of the guys. This showed me 2 things about Stewart: 1) He has such a passion for racing that he'll take almost any opportunity to get as much wheeltime as he can, and 2) Despite his bad boy reputation in the press a few years back, what I saw that night was a guy who was totally down-to-earth and who treated the other drivers as his equals, despite his superstar status and the obvious differences in their talent levels. I've liked Tony ever since then.  :)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/03/06 at 8:13 pm

Actually, that was a joke. "Wee-Man" was a 4 foot tall skateboarding champion who was also a regular cast member on the old MTV show "Jackass."

As far as NASCAR racing midget cars, I didn't know they included that class now (I always thought that the midgets were sanctioned by USAC). But I do remember a few years back seeing Tony Stewart racing a midget car on some 1/2 mile track somewhere in the Midwest (Ohio or Indiana). This was well after he switched over to NASCAR, and this race was in the middle of the week and it was clear to me that he took time out of his busy schedule to participate in this event. Apparently Tony The Tiger pushed his car a little too hard, as he blew his motor and was out of the race early, but then ESPN showed him hanging out in the pits with the other local drivers, just clowning around and being one of the guys. This showed me 2 things about Stewart: 1) He has such a passion for racing that he'll take almost any opportunity to get as much wheeltime as he can, and 2) Despite his bad boy reputation in the press a few years back, what I saw that night was a guy who was totally down-to-earth and who treated the other drivers as his equals, despite his superstar status and the obvious differences in their talent levels. I've liked Tony ever since then.  :)
Tony Stewart now owns the Eldora dirt track in Ohio...Tony is truly a class act. That is why I like him as much as I do. He's not only IMO the best in Nextel Cup but he can drive anything with four wheels...He also is a truly caring person who goes out of his way to help those in need.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 01/03/06 at 9:20 pm

Tony Stewart now owns the Eldora dirt track in Ohio...Tony is truly a class act. That is why I like him as much as I do. He's not only IMO the best in Nextel Cup but he can drive anything with four wheels...He also is a truly caring person who goes out of his way to help those in need.
Ever watch any local dirt track racing?

Written By: Skippy on 01/03/06 at 10:05 pm

Ever watch any local dirt track racing?

Yup, living in the mid-west it's a law.  ;D

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/04/06 at 7:29 pm

Yup, living in the mid-west it's a law.  ;D
There's a dirt track in Bridgeport, NJ I think, but I have no way of getting out there.

Check for new replies or respond here...