inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2006 Predictions

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/02/06 at 5:20 pm

Here are mine predictions for the new year:

The Mets will win the World Series (Ok, ok, so I'm hoping)

There is going to be a big upheaval in Washington as more info comes to light about the Plame investigation/NSA spying, etc.

There will be a new car launch that will run on something other than gasoline.

North Korea will have a new leader.

A major earthquake will hit somewhere along the Pacific coast (either North or South America)

I will FINALLY hit 10,000 posts.  ;D

All of these are just predictions and if they don't happen, they don't happen. But if they do, you can say that you heard it here first.  ;D

Do you have any predictions for the new year?

Cat

Subject: Re: 2006 Predictions

Written By: nally on 01/02/06 at 5:33 pm

Dodgers will lose 100 games j/k ;D Hopefully they'll do better than they did in '05, with a new manager and some new players.

Someone other than the Braves will dominate the NL East, and someone other than the Yankees will win the AL East division.

I will hopefully be working and getting paid!

I'll hopefully catch Philip and have more posts than him again. I'll probably hit 70,000 or 80,000 by the end of the year.

Written By: YWN on 01/02/06 at 6:49 pm

I was thinking about Bush getting impeached, but I guess there are too many Republicans in authority for that to happen.

...BUT AT LEAST HE ISN'T SCREWING INTERNS!!!

Written By: whistledog on 01/02/06 at 11:52 pm

...BUT AT LEAST HE ISN'T SCREWING INTERNS!!!

I wish he was.  The world needs another good sex scandal to spice up TV  ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/03/06 at 12:04 am

...Big year, for some reason
...Pseudo-90s culture buried for good
...Major celebrity scandal (I mean HUGE)
...Bush is impeached, but keeps presidency (good, I don't want DICK as president)

Is it just me or did anyone notice a change in the air when it became 2006?

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/03/06 at 12:15 am

...Bush is impeached, but keeps presidency (good, I don't want DICK as president)

Is it just me or did anyone notice a change in the air when it became 2006?

I think Bush may be impeached as well. Don't worry about Cheney though. I think that its pretty likely both will get impeached. The Valerie Plame scandal is mainly centered around Cheney, remember..

Remember what the constitution says. If both are impeached, then that means we will have President Dennis Hastert! Unless, it happens after the mid-term elections and THEN we may have President Nancy Pelosi(a Democrat)! God, wouldn't THAT be ironic? Not only would the Democrats gain the Presidency, and Hillary would lose her chance at becoming the first woman president. Man, I'll be splitting my sides laughing if that happens.  :D

Anyway, yeah, I think I felt that change too. I have a feeling this year will be a year of major cultural shifts..or maybe not, lol.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/03/06 at 12:22 am

I think Bush may be impeached as well. Don't worry about Cheney though. I think that its pretty likely both will get impeached. The Valerie Plame scandal is mainly centered around Cheney, remember..

Remember what the constitution says. If both are impeached, then that means we will have President Dennis Hastert! Unless, it happens after the mid-term elections and THEN we may have President Nancy Pelosi(a Democrat)! God, wouldn't THAT be ironic? Not only would the Democrats gain the Presidency, and Hillary would lose her chance at becoming the first woman president. Man, I'll be splitting my sides laughing if that happens.  :D

Anyway, yeah, I think I felt that change too. I have a feeling this year will be a year of major cultural shifts..or maybe not, lol.

I think '06 is when the 2000s will REALLY be the '00s, if you know what I mean ... there's plenty of '00s stuff now but almost as much semi-90s stuff along with it ... by '07 I think it will be *mostly* gone, although maybe not.

Written By: Stompgal on 01/03/06 at 12:46 pm

New Sugababe Amelle will join the other two on tour
The first anniversary of George Best's death will be marked
Tahlia Maya (Mutya Buena's daughter) and Sean Preston (Britney's son) will celebrate their 1st birthdays
Gwen Stefani will have her first baby and (hopefully) return to her band to record and release new material after the birth
The Playstation 3 will be released

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 01/03/06 at 3:34 pm

This will be the breakout year for satellite radio, in part due to Howard Stern's arrival on Sirius but mainly because of the continued public dissatisfaction with conventional terrestrial radio. This may be wishful thinking on my part, but out of desperation Clear Channel will give greater autonomy to their local affiliates and allow them to add more local and regional acts to their playlists in order to use them as a sort of "farm system" to discover new talent.

I will reach 600 posts this year.  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/03/06 at 4:14 pm

This will be the breakout year for satellite radio, in part due to Howard Stern's arrival on Sirius but mainly because of the continued public dissatisfaction with conventional terrestrial radio. This may be wishful thinking on my part, but out of desperation Clear Channel will give greater autonomy to their local affiliates and allow them to add more local and regional acts to their playlists in order to use them as a sort of "farm system" to discover new talent.

I will reach 600 posts this year.  ;D

Are you sure you can reach 600 posts? I mean you are soooo far away from it and to make that many posts in the next 362 days...hmmm, you are really going to have to push yourself.  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 01/03/06 at 4:18 pm

Are you sure you can reach 600 posts? I mean you are soooo far away from it and to make that many posts in the next 362 days...hmmm, you are really going to have to push yourself.  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat
You know what? I'm going to do one more post after this and then delete my account, just to spite you.  ;D ;D ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/03/06 at 4:23 pm

You know what? I'm going to do one more post after this and then delete my account, just to spite you.  ;D ;D ;D

Daja Vu. Didn't you do that last year?

Cat

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 01/03/06 at 4:26 pm

Daja Vu. Didn't you do that last year?

Cat
Actually, I did.  Maybe I better not upgrade to an "AL-B v 3.0."  Hold on...wait a minute...

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 01/03/06 at 4:28 pm

WOO-HOO!!! Yes! My prediction has come true! You all saw it here...I am the first member of this board to have made a successful prediction for 2006! Nostradamus has nothing on me!!! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/03/06 at 5:08 pm

WOO-HOO!!! Yes! My prediction has come true! You all saw it here...I am the first member of this board to have made a successful prediction for 2006! Nostradamus has nothing on me!!! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! ;D

I knew if I kept ya talking you could do it.  ;D ;D  (And it also gets me closer to my prediction.  ;)  )

Cat

Written By: Zoso on 01/03/06 at 6:56 pm

In music, I predict that artists who have been around for a long time, and are release new music this year, will be big (e.g. Janet Jackson, Prince and Guns & Roses). As far as trends go, R&B will still be popular, classic-style rock will be popular, and pop-punk will be out.

In film, I predict more remakes of classic films.

In TV, sadly, reality tv will continue and perhaps become more widespread. There are loads of new reality shows comeing in. My predictions of the most popular tv show will be the Jackson's reality show.

In sport, I hope the Aussies will kick ass in the football world cup, but I fear they'll crash and burn. It'll probably be Germany who comes out on top again.

In politics, I predict George Bush will bu impeached and the troops will be pulled out of Iraq.

In Hollywood, Michael Jackson will again suffer major scrutiny from the media, perhaps to the point that it drives him insane and he finally cracks. But I think he'll reform and get a new image, a new album and come back in 2007.This year will be sheesh for him, but next year will be 1983 for him.

Written By: Suite Life on 01/03/06 at 7:41 pm

Ashley Tisdale will make her breakthrough, since being on "Suite Life of Zack & Cody" in 2005, starting with  "High School Musical"...

Though the tv  movie would probably be cheesy, but she's better than Hillary Duff

Written By: Suite Life on 01/03/06 at 7:57 pm

"Skating with Celebrities", featuring Deborah Gibson and Kristy Swanson .. two celebs who don't deserve to be on a cheesy reality show. And unfortunately Deborah Gibson's chance of a comeback is very slim... though she still tours, will tour with  the O'Niell Brothers in Febuary and will be part of one of their albums, would be good...though the 'O'Niell brothers aren't my cup of tea (Not into classical music).  And be part of a cruise in March.

Possibly more theatre, albums and NO more reality shows...

...Jennifer Tisdale will breakthough one day

Written By: nally on 01/04/06 at 6:06 pm

I'd prefer to discuss the political stuff in the sub-board. :-X

I don't know what else to predict, since most of the time it's not spot-on. :-\\

Written By: woops on 01/04/06 at 9:32 pm

More WWII toons and other "controversial" shorts on the Looney Tunes Golden Collection Vol. 4
8)  :D

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 01/04/06 at 10:42 pm

Guns N Roses will finally release the mythical album 'Chinese Democracy'. It will get rave reviews, sell 15 million copies, and will be the biggest selling album of 2006.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 01/05/06 at 1:41 am

Guns N Roses will finally release the mythical album 'Chinese Democracy'. It will get rave reviews, sell 15 million copies, and will be the biggest selling album of 2006.
I dunno. I still think we're more likely to see democracy in China this year than we are to see "Chinese Democracy."  ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/05/06 at 2:23 am

I predict that the Smiths could reform.

Written By: IanWinn on 01/05/06 at 8:33 am

I predict that executions and/or "interrogation" (torture) sessions will be televised live, at least on PPV.  We've been conditioned to accept hearing about such things in the news, and seeing them on TV and the movies for many years now (the most recent movie incarnations are Wolf Creek and Hostel).  I hope I'm wrong.

On a more positive light, my favorite shows (Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis, Battlestar Galactica) will make major improvements in their storylines and plots, and will attract a great number of fans.

While I'm dreaming, cable companies will realize that they can get better satisfaction from their customers by offering them an a la carte options, where they can pay for the channels they want without having to pay for the crap they don't want (ie, parents who don't want their children exposed to MTV won't have to pay for it).

Happy New Year, everyone!  Clink-clink! Another drink! as Spike Jones would sing.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/05/06 at 12:01 pm

I predict that Charles Kennedy MP will resign from the Liberal leadership this year.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/05/06 at 12:35 pm

I predict I will meet at least 2 members of the board this year 8)

Hmmmm, I wonder who that could be?  ;)

Cat

Written By: nally on 01/05/06 at 2:44 pm

I predict I will meet at least 2 members of the board this year 8)

I hope to meet at least one as well...but I don't predict that it'll happen before 2007. :-\\

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/28/06 at 11:10 am

I predict that Charles Kennedy MP will resign from the Liberal leadership this year.
...and Charles Kennedy has resigned.

Written By: Dagwood on 01/28/06 at 7:42 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: Dagwood on 01/28/06 at 7:46 pm

Actually, you're not exactly right.....Hastert will only become Pres (which may not be a bad thing) IF a) they are both impeached at the same time, b) Cheney names Hastert VP, Hastert is approved by Congress, THEN he's impeached, or c) Cheney is impeached before naming a new VP (or before the named VP is approved by Congress).

Don't forget both also have to be found guilty and be removed from office. 

Written By: Suite Life on 01/29/06 at 4:59 am

Ashley Tisdale will make her breakthrough, since being on "Suite Life of Zack & Cody" in 2005, starting with  "High School Musical"...

Though the tv  movie would probably be cheesy, but she's better than Hillary Duff

Update: Ashley Tisdale will end up like Hillary Duff since she can't sing!!!

"High School Musical" makes "Grease II" look like "Grease" and I hate musicals!!!

Though a better actress than Duff and Lohan...

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/29/06 at 5:43 am

I predict a riot.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/29/06 at 6:53 am

I predict that I will not need an iPod this year.

Written By: nally on 04/19/06 at 4:44 pm

I predict that I may save up some money (and perhaps giftcards) to get one. Whether I truly want one or not, that's another story.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/19/06 at 4:45 pm

So far, my prediction is still true.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/19/06 at 4:47 pm

In music, I predict that artists who have been around for a long time, and are release new music this year, will be big (e.g. Janet Jackson, Prince and Guns & Roses). As far as trends go, R&B will still be popular, classic-style rock will be popular, and pop-punk will be out.

In film, I predict more remakes of classic films.

In TV, sadly, reality tv will continue and perhaps become more widespread. There are loads of new reality shows comeing in. My predictions of the most popular tv show will be the Jackson's reality show.

In sport, I hope the Aussies will kick ass in the football world cup, but I fear they'll crash and burn. It'll probably be Germany who comes out on top again.

In politics, I predict George Bush will bu impeached and the troops will be pulled out of Iraq.

In Hollywood, Michael Jackson will again suffer major scrutiny from the media, perhaps to the point that it drives him insane and he finally cracks. But I think he'll reform and get a new image, a new album and come back in 2007.This year will be sheesh for him, but next year will be 1983 for him.

I agree with your music prediction. I think Janet Jackson, Guns N' Roses will be big, and Prince, Bon Jovi, Kate Bush, and Madonna already have been, continuing the litany of endless '80s comebacks. I think reality TV and the O.C-type dramas will start faltering a little later this year. We'll go into a recession.

What's it with you and Michael Jackson? He will NEVER have another 1983 again.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/19/06 at 5:17 pm

I predict Iran will try to bomb New York, will be foiled, and will bomb a Midwestern town successfully instead.

Written By: shaneiscrazy on 04/19/06 at 9:17 pm

bird flu will come to the US in the summer and people will start buying those mask and they will sell out
mariah carey's tour will sell more then madonna's because mariah's music still has mass appel
PS3 will come out but wont blew people away
britney spears new album will flop so will jessica simpsons
whitney houston cleans up act and puts out a new album and has a comeback(wishful thinking)
legging will come back in style(lmao i have seen girls wearing them in my school)
people stop dressing so sluty(i have also seen this already happing)
really bad hurricanes
ipod sales come down but still a must have product
rap will see a decline on the charts(already seeing it happen)
ill post some more later

Written By: shaneiscrazy on 04/19/06 at 9:23 pm

i think janet jackson will have a comeback this year if she tops making that fluffy pop sheesh I love her music from the 90's and most of her 80's music

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/19/06 at 9:33 pm

bird flu will come to the US in the summer and people will start buying those mask and they will sell out
mariah carey's tour will sell more then madonna's because mariah's music still has mass appel
britney spears new album will flop so will jessica simpsons
whitney houston cleans up act and puts out a new album and has a comeback(wishful thinking)
legging will come back in style(lmao i have seen girls wearing them in my school)
people stop dressing so sluty(i have also seen this already happing)
really bad hurricanes
ipod sales come down but still a must have product
rap will see a decline on the charts(already seeing it happen)
ill post some more later

I agree with this.

Written By: Electric Youth on 04/20/06 at 3:30 am

Deborah Gibson will make a comeback

Though like her first hit, "Only In My Dreams"...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/27/06 at 1:36 pm

I thought it would be interesting to bump up this thread so everyone can see what predictions were made at the beginning of the year and how many came true. Next week a new thread will be started.

Cat

Written By: Brian06 on 12/27/06 at 1:36 pm

You were right on that one.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/27/06 at 1:43 pm

I predict that the Smiths could reform.
This prediction of mine did not come true.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/27/06 at 1:44 pm

This did come true with Sir Menzies ("Ming") Campbell being elected leader of the Liberal Democrats by vote of the national party membership on March 2nd 2006.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/27/06 at 1:45 pm

I still have not got one!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/27/06 at 1:55 pm

As for my preditions:

Here are mine predictions for the new year:

The Mets will win the World Series (Ok, ok, so I'm hoping)

They came close. They were in the play-offs.

There is going to be a big upheaval in Washington as more info comes to light about the Plame investigation/NSA spying, etc.

Well, there was a big upheaval with all the scandals that broke and the midterm elections-so I think I called that one.

There will be a new car launch that will run on something other than gasoline.

Well, not yet. Hopefully soon.

North Korea will have a new leader.

:-\\

A major earthquake will hit somewhere along the Pacific coast (either North or South America)

I'm glad I was wrong about this one.

I will FINALLY hit 10,000 posts.  ;D 

This one I hit on the head.  ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/27/06 at 2:01 pm

There was a major eathquake close to Taiwan yesterday, but it was on the other side of the Pacific Coast.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/27/06 at 2:09 pm

There was a major eathquake close to Taiwan yesterday, but it was on the other side of the Pacific Coast.

I didn't hear about that one.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/27/06 at 2:11 pm

I didn't hear about that one.

Cat
It is reported here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/6210161.stm

Check for new replies or respond here...