inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How popular is Mariah, really?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/02/06 at 8:28 pm

5x Platinum definitely shows some demand, but it seems to me that the songs after "We Belong Together" were of somewhat declined interest.

Is it partly hype?  I mean if the media didn't fuss it so much I don't think her comeback would be nearly as big.

Subject: Re: How popular is Mariah, really?

Written By: bruce on 01/02/06 at 10:07 pm

Mariah Carey is hands down the worst singer of the 90s & 00s She sings notes only dogs can here
the worse the song the less the clothes she wheres in the video
the rate shes goin shell be naked by may

Written By: whistledog on 01/02/06 at 10:28 pm

I don't like Mariah Carey's singing.  I never did.  She is easy on the eyes though

Written By: Harmonica on 01/02/06 at 10:34 pm

I used to like her and respect her when she did her own thing.

Then she became mainstream, and I forgot all about her.

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/03/06 at 6:29 am

I used to like her and respect her when she did her own thing.

Then she became mainstream, and I forgot all about her.

Wasn't she always mainstream, though?

Heck, I remember as a kid, when her videos/songs for the 1990 album were all over VH1. I got totally sick of "Vision of Love" and the others at the time, just 'cause it was on seemingly every three seconds. ;D

She wasn't one of those artists that gradually got bigger over time, she exploded with the first album.

P.S. Like I've said, the only songs I like from her are "Hero" (nice ballad), and for upbeat stuff, "Dreamlover" and "Someday" (both are vaguely 80's-esque pop).

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/03/06 at 3:27 pm

Heck, I remember as a kid, when her videos/songs for the 1990 album were all over VH1. I got totally sick of "Vision of Love" and the others at the time, just 'cause it was on seemingly every three seconds. ;D

She wasn't one of those artists that gradually got bigger over time, she exploded with the first album.

P.S. Like I've said, the only songs I like from her are "Hero" (nice ballad), and for upbeat stuff, "Dreamlover" and "Someday" (both are vaguely 80's-esque pop).

That's true, although I think "Vision of Love" is somewhat '80ish.  She definitely was talented then, although definitely not my cup of tea.  I think it took a couple months during 1990 to really get her big in the States; global success came a couple years later.

In fact, her early stuff didn't really break from the '80s sound as it sounded kinda like Janet Jackson or Whitney Houston, but it did mean that by 1991 there were no more Tiffanys or Debbie Gibsons around, and also I think that by 1992 the late '80s teen pop wave ended largely because of her.

Written By: Satish on 01/03/06 at 3:37 pm

I've never really been a fan of Mariah Carey. I think maybe two or three of her songs are somewhat pleasant to listen to, but most of her music, I don't really like. I just don't get why people like her so much. She's the biggest artist of the past 15 years, and I can't see why.

Written By: Criz on 01/03/06 at 4:06 pm

I didn't mind her so much in the 1990s...then she went all 'r&b'. When I hear ads for her latest album or greatest hits or whatever she is, I hear 'The Queen of R&b' !! She never went all 'r&b' until the late 90s, I think it's such a stupid remark!!

I persoanlly have seen enough interviews and footage of her to dislike her as a person and as a singer. There's no denying she can sing, but she hasn't brought out a good song for at least 10 years.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/03/06 at 4:09 pm

She was up until Glitter and her album, both did badly at the box office.  She has made a comeback recently, but I am starting to find her vastly over rated.

Could the same fate be waiting for Britney?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/03/06 at 4:21 pm

She was up until Glitter and her album, both did badly at the box office.  She has made a comeback recently, but I am starting to find her vastly over rated.

Could the same fate be waiting for Britney?

Well, she is a MOM now....

Written By: ADH13 on 01/03/06 at 6:38 pm

I am certainly no fan of Mariah Carey, but I don't despise her music as much as many others do.  It's just kind of there, and I don't even usually notice if her songs are playing.

But I've said many times that in this day and age, I don't think talent has a whole lot to do with what songs become popular.  I think the radio stations have alot more to do with what makes it to the top than we can imagine.

I really think that if some popular "current music" station picked a random 80's song that is obscure enough that most teens today wouldn't be familiar with it, and started playing it like crazy on their station, it would become a hit... because when the radio is playing it constantly, listeners think "Oh, everyone seems to like this song" and then they start to like it too.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/03/06 at 6:41 pm

I am certainly no fan of Mariah Carey, but I don't despise her music as much as many others do.  It's just kind of there, and I don't even usually notice if her songs are playing.

But I've said many times that in this day and age, I don't think talent has a whole lot to do with what songs become popular.  I think the radio stations have alot more to do with what makes it to the top than we can imagine.

I really think that if some popular "current music" station picked a random 80's song that is obscure enough that most teens today wouldn't be familiar with it, and started playing it like crazy on their station, it would become a hit... because when the radio is playing it constantly, listeners think "Oh, everyone seems to like this song" and then they start to like it too.

I don't hate her or her music, I'm just sick of it.  I thought she was dead (in a celebrity sense).

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/03/06 at 7:17 pm

I wouldn't party with her...  :P

Written By: Suite Life on 01/03/06 at 7:36 pm

1991 there were no more Tiffanys or Debbie Gibsons around, and also I think that by 1992 the late '80s teen pop wave ended

Deborah Gibson still release albums like "Body Mind Soul", "Think With Your Heart", "Deborah",  "MYOB", and "Memory Lane" Vol 1 & 2  since her "Electric Youth" was over (now a stage actress...http://www.discomuseum.com/DebbieGibson.html), though nolonger popular. But I'm more into her music than Mariah Carey, who I find overrated.

Don't get me wrong, I like a few of Mariah Carey's songs in the '90's like "Honey" and "Without You".  :)

Written By: Brian06 on 11/29/06 at 7:12 pm

Singles after We Belong Together: Shake It Off peaked at number 2 (blocked from number 1 by Gold Digger), Don't Forget About Us hit number 1. Some people really need to read up on the charts. Mariah was totally huge throughout 2005.

Written By: tv on 11/30/06 at 1:03 am

I'll agree with "Somebody" being 80's esque but "Dreamlover" no not really 80's esque at all. I do dig "Dreamlover" alot.

Mariah she was alot more popular in the 90's she is now. Aside for her comeback album in 05 she hasn't been really popular in the 00's at all.

Written By: Max Power on 11/30/06 at 6:28 pm

Singles after We Belong Together: Shake It Off peaked at number 2 (blocked from number 1 by Gold Digger...

What a coincidence.

Written By: shaneiscrazy on 12/01/06 at 10:40 pm

ive loved mariahs music since i was a little kid when the world ends there will  still be roaches and marah carey

Written By: FaultyDog on 12/02/06 at 3:10 am

ive loved mariahs music since i was a little kid when the world ends there will  still be roaches and marah carey

Roaches and Mariah Carey... surely that can't be a coincidence. :P

Written By: pink daisy on 12/30/06 at 7:29 pm

Surely that should be 'roaches and Cher' (I love Cher btw).  As for Ms Carey, yeah, yeah she's got a great vocal range (and boy, doesn't she make sure we all know it?) but she flashes the flesh way too much and she's as irritating as a yeast infection.  Plus the fact that there are about a million Mariah wannabes all copying
her vocal 'style' (i.e. fiddling about with a song until it's all twiddly and annoying) and very often succeeding in winning Pop Idol and stuff that way (stand up Leona).  Ok, rant over - she just p***es me off!

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/02/07 at 3:47 am

Surely that should be 'roaches and Cher' (I love Cher btw).  As for Ms Carey, yeah, yeah she's got a great vocal range (and boy, doesn't she make sure we all know it?) but she flashes the flesh way too much and she's as irritating as a yeast infection.  Plus the fact that there are about a million Mariah wannabes all copying
her vocal 'style' (i.e. fiddling about with a song until it's all twiddly and annoying) and very often succeeding in winning Pop Idol and stuff that way (stand up Leona).  Ok, rant over - she just p***es me off!

I think she had some promise early on (her sound was kinda different for 1990 and helped launch the AC sound of the "Nineties" '90s), but overstayed her welcome.

Written By: pink daisy on 01/02/07 at 5:42 am

Mr McFly, you're so much more diplomatic than I - and much kinder too. 

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/02/07 at 2:17 pm

Strangely enough, I think I'm actually begining to appreciate her.  I've hated her pretty much from day one, but seeing all of her hits together like this I find I actually like most of them.  Go figure...

I must add, however, that when she was on MTV Cribs...and got into her bathtub wearing a towel...I threw up in my mouth.

Written By: pink daisy on 01/02/07 at 2:18 pm

Go lie down in a darkened room - this too shall pass.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/02/07 at 7:10 pm

Mariah may not have best image.....I think she needs to dress more appropriate for her age, but you cannot deny she is a very talented vocalist. 

Written By: Brian06 on 01/02/07 at 7:37 pm

She's very talented, there's plenty of artists that actually do suck to be bothered by instead of being bothered by a talent like Mariah.  ::)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/03/07 at 11:12 am

She's very talented, there's plenty of artists that actually do suck to be bothered by instead of being bothered by a talent like Mariah.  ::)

There is no denying her talent.  It's her personality that I don't really care for.

Written By: pink daisy on 01/03/07 at 11:15 am

There is no denying her talent.  It's her personality that I don't really care for.

How do you spell that noise you make when  something disgusts you so much that your whole body shudders?  That's how Mariah makes me feel....

Written By: shaneiscrazy on 01/04/07 at 5:24 pm

well yall may hate on her but you cant deny having 17 number one hits in under 20 years is amazing

Written By: pink daisy on 01/05/07 at 4:13 am

well yall may hate on her but you cant deny having 17 number one hits in under 20 years is amazing

Well it certainly says something about peoples' taste...but enough already.  Bored with Mariah!

Check for new replies or respond here...