inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Most Popular Artist of 2005

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/03/06 at 12:17 am

I think Green Day, by a mile.  Not even close.

Subject: Re: Most Popular Artist of 2005

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 01/03/06 at 12:29 am

That awful My Lumps song by Black Eyed Peas was pretty damn popular, it's rather sad.  :\'(

As far as rock goes, Greed Day.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/03/06 at 12:31 am

That awful My Lumps song by Black Eyed Peas was pretty damn popular, it's rather sad.  :\'(

As far as rock goes, Greed Day.

I despise My Humps!  Worst song of the year.  It sounds like a hit though  :(

I'm tired of Green Day too, although they are good.  At least they dislike Bush  :)

Written By: whistledog on 01/03/06 at 12:44 am

Since I am Canadian, I base my answer on our charts, therefore I'd have to say Nickelback.  'Photograph' was such a massive hit, it's still in the Top 10

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/03/06 at 12:46 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: whistledog on 01/03/06 at 12:51 am

I'm an American, so I base it on my charts :)

Isn't Hip Hop just starting to break out up in Northland?

Hip Hop has always been big here.  Just like America, it sadly dominates a good portion of our charts

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/03/06 at 12:56 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: AmandaSparks on 01/03/06 at 12:57 am

Well, Nickelback finally convinced me to buy their latest album this year so I'd say them. I love I Wanna Be A Rock Star and All the Wrong Reasons. Crunchy good guitars and a hot lead singer.

Written By: whistledog on 01/03/06 at 12:59 am

The current Hip Hop explosion here dates to about '01 or '02 I'd say.

It's about the same here.  Ever since Eminem became popular, it's been a hip hop explosion

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/03/06 at 1:01 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: whistledog on 01/03/06 at 1:08 am

In the States I've heard from about 1991 to 1995 there was a Rap explosion, then it kinda declined between '96 and '98.

In Canada did you have an early '90s rap binge?

Rap was all over the place in the 90's.  Everything from Dre to Snoop Dogg.  Heck, even now comedian Tom Green had a rap song that was so popular, it hit #1, and won all kinds of awards  :o

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/03/06 at 1:10 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: whistledog on 01/03/06 at 1:12 am

'90s rap was different though.  It was more "laid back" and less about getting "crunked", if you know what I mean.  Plus the first half of the '90s still had a lot of old school, especially 1990-'92. 

90s seemed to have more rock too.

It seemed like the 90's rap scene died with the death of 2Pac in 1996.  It was around then that the boy band and teen pop explosion began

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/03/06 at 1:16 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 01/03/06 at 1:39 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/03/06 at 2:07 am

Luckily hip hop is on the slow (very freakin' slow!) decline over here with less hip-hop on the 2005 charts than in 2004.  8)

Yeah I can see that too.. Hopefully as more indie rock acts get more recognition, it will accelerate the process. Not to say urban music has absolutely no value, but rap certainly doesn't. This year did one have one outstanding music annomaly, and that is M.I.A. She is actually a decent hip hop artist. Quite good actually. Although shes not straight hip hop, she mixes lots of genres, and a lot of her stuff is closer to bangra than hip hop. She is a brit of Sri Lankan extraction, btw.

Written By: Donnie_Darko on 01/03/06 at 2:11 am

Yeah I can see that too.. Hopefully as more indie rock acts get more recognition, it will accelerate the process. Not to say urban music has absolutely no value, but rap certainly doesn't. This year did one have one outstanding music annomaly, and that is M.I.A. She is actually a decent hip hop artist. Quite good actually. Although shes not straight hip hop, she mixes lots of genres, and a lot of her stuff is closer to bangra than hip hop. She is a brit of Sri Lankan extraction, btw.

I think the 2010s will be the "Indie Decade".  Mainstream rap is just too silly to last much longer.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/03/06 at 2:19 am

The most popular artist of '06 is my band:

www.soundclick.com/posseoftwo  ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/03/06 at 6:41 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/03/06 at 6:49 am

Luckily hip hop is on the slow (very freakin' slow!) decline over here with less hip-hop on the 2005 charts than in 2004.  8)

Well, it fluctuates, but I hope you're right. In thinking about the evolution of rap over the years, I had a new thought. It probably goes kinda like this:

1979-86:
Very "old school" rap -- Sugarhill Gang, Run DMC, Grandmaster Flash

1987-91:
Light, party "pop" rap -- MC Hammer, Will Smith, Beastie Boys (they were harder edged, but same overall feel), Vanilla Ice

1992-96:
Gangsta rap (older style and violent/political edged at times) -- Dr Dre, Snoop Doggy Dog, Tupac, Coolio

1997-98:
Transitional period between the above, and the re-emergence of "white boy rap" in 1999. Kinda more R&B-ish.

1999-2003:
Eminem and other "white boy" or otherwise "mainstream" rap.

2004+:
"Bling bling" rap along with alot of mainstream stuff as well -- Black Eyed Peas, Kanye West, etc.

P.S. If we're counting Sugarhill Gang's "Rapper's Delight", that means rap music has now been around for 27 years! ;)

Written By: Stompgal on 01/03/06 at 12:38 pm

Green Day were popular last year because they appeared in a lot of my music magazines such as Top of the Pops, Smash Hits and TV Hits. I have a friend who likes them and I found her anything to do with Green Day or Billie Joe.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/03/06 at 3:22 pm

Well, it fluctuates, but I hope you're right. In thinking about the evolution of rap over the years, I had a new thought. It probably goes kinda like this:

1979-86:
Very "old school" rap -- Sugarhill Gang, Run DMC, Grandmaster Flash

1987-91:
Light, party "pop" rap -- MC Hammer, Will Smith, Beastie Boys (they were harder edged, but same overall feel), Vanilla Ice

1992-96:
Gangsta rap (older style and violent/political edged at times) -- Dr Dre, Snoop Doggy Dog, Tupac, Coolio

1997-98:
Transitional period between the above, and the re-emergence of "white boy rap" in 1999. Kinda more R&B-ish.

1999-2003:
Eminem and other "white boy" or otherwise "mainstream" rap.

2004+:
"Bling bling" rap along with alot of mainstream stuff as well -- Black Eyed Peas, Kanye West, etc.

P.S. If we're counting Sugarhill Gang's "Rapper's Delight", that means rap music has now been around for 27 years! ;)

Agreed, except I think the Crunk/Bling Bling era began around 2003 rather than 2004, with In Da Club and Get Low.

Other than that, I totally agree, and I think by 2013 Hip Hop will no longer be a mainstream taste.

Written By: Criz on 01/03/06 at 4:09 pm

I despise My Humps!  Worst song of the year.  It sounds like a hit though  :(

I'm tired of Green Day too, although they are good.  At least they dislike Bush  :)

I Totally, 100% agree.

When they released 'Wake Me Up When September Ends' - I honestly couldn't believe it. That's them over with, downhill from now I say. Please prove me wrong!!! I love their older stuff, and I gotta say I did like all the other singles before the aforementioned track.

I think the 2010s will be the "Indie Decade".  Mainstream rap is just too silly to last much longer.

I hope so...but I doubt it. I just hope the sudden flux of crappy hip hop, hops away...and fast!! I despise most of all that gangsta rap stuff, whats wrong with listening toa song with someone singing, some good lyrics and actual music?? It's beyond me what some people listen to. Ok, fair enough, each to their own...but I still like to tell them what I think :P

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/03/06 at 4:27 pm

I Totally, 100% agree.

When they released 'Wake Me Up When September Ends' - I honestly couldn't believe it. That's them over with, downhill from now I say. Please prove me wrong!!! I love their older stuff, and I gotta say I did like all the other singles before the aforementioned track.

I hope so...but I doubt it. I just hope the sudden flux of crappy hip hop, hops away...and fast!! I despise most of all that gangsta rap stuff, whats wrong with listening toa song with someone singing, some good lyrics and actual music?? It's beyond me what some people listen to. Ok, fair enough, each to their own...but I still like to tell them what I think :P

You may be right :(  I think by the 2010s they'll be a real backlash though ... it's not like the teens of 2014 will like the same stuff the teens of 2005 like.  But then again, the teens of 1994 and the teens of 2005 do have similar tastes in many realms.

One more note, I hate to disagree, but I kinda like "September Ends".  I thought "American Idiot" was tight, "Boulevard" was a classic.  I didn't really like "Holiday" though.

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/03/06 at 11:59 pm

^ "Holiday" is actually my favorite of the three - it's probably the most upbeat and seems vaguely "80s" to me (though not any more than, say "When I Come Around" from Dookie).

"Boulevard of Broken Dreams" was cool, even if a little overplayed, and "September" is a cool slower song. I do somewhat like all of them, though. :)

P.S. If rap does continue, I do hope it at least changes course to a more contemporary version of, say MC Hammer. I do think gangsta/bling rap will start notably declining by 2010 (the rest of the 2000's probably won't be that different than right now, though I could be wrong).

I do believe "the powers that be" now tend to only jump on new, cool things when they're so omnipresent they can't be ignored. But they kinda wait for stuff to come to them, whereas in the past, it almost tended to be the other way around.

Written By: Donnie_Darko on 01/04/06 at 12:29 am

^ "Holiday" is actually my favorite of the three - it's probably the most upbeat and seems vaguely "80s" to me (though not any more than, say "When I Come Around" from Dookie).

"Boulevard of Broken Dreams" was cool, even if a little overplayed, and "September" is a cool slower song. I do somewhat like all of them, though. :)

P.S. If rap does continue, I do hope it at least changes course to a more contemporary version of, say MC Hammer. I do think gangsta/bling rap will start notably declining by 2010 (the rest of the 2000's probably won't be that different than right now, though I could be wrong).

I do believe "the powers that be" now tend to only jump on new, cool things when they're so omnipresent they can't be ignored. But they kinda wait for stuff to come to them, whereas in the past, it almost tended to be the other way around.

That's cool, we all have our own tastes :)

I actually think "September" sounded the most 80s because of the synthy sounds, but to me 80s music is mostly the synth stuff so I'm biased of course.  ;)

I think the Emo thing might increase: pop-punk's popularity is really pretty new; it started in the late 1990s but the current strain I think is very '00s.

I guess the '90s did the media guys really well, although I think the 2000s really just picked 2 big 90s genres rather than all of them (alternative and rap). 

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/04/06 at 12:34 am

^ True. "September" sort of has that dark synthrock sound to it. I guess "Holiday" is more poppish.

Anyway, I do think pop/punk is starting to stagnate now. It's very emo-ish. I can tell the difference between the two genres, but they share alot in common.

There's a clear difference between the pop/punk of 1999 and that of 2002-now. It struck me as a little more melodic-ish back then (a song like "What's My Age Again" from Blink 182, or something from the Offspring's Americana would sound a little dated today. Not exceedingly so, but it would).

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/04/06 at 12:39 am

^ True. "September" sort of has that dark synthrock sound to it. I guess "Holiday" is more poppish.

Anyway, I do think pop/punk is starting to stagnate now. It's very emo-ish. I can tell the difference between the two genres, but they share alot in common.

There's a clear difference between the pop/punk of 1999 and that of 2002-now. It struck me as a little more melodic-ish back then (a song like "What's My Age Again" from Blink 182, or something from the Offspring's Americana would sound a little dated today. Not exceedingly so, but it would).

I guess what I would say is Emo is replacing Pop-punk.  I tend to think of Pop-punk more as what would be called "Emo", Good Charlotte, Simple Plan, Fall Out Boy, Sum 41, etc.  Bands influenced by Blink-182 and, oddly enough, boy bands, I don't see much Offspring or Green Day in them. 
Not to say it isn't good.  ;)

"What's My Age Again" is actually a pretty nostalgic song to me.  I couldn't imagine a song like that in 2005/'06.

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/04/06 at 12:45 am

I guess what I would say is Emo is replacing Pop-punk.  I tend to think of Pop-punk more as what would be called "Emo", Good Charlotte, Simple Plan, Fall Out Boy, Sum 41, etc.   Bands influenced by Blink-182 and, oddly enough, boy bands, I don't see much Offspring or Green Day in them. 

"What's My Age Again" is actually a pretty nostalgic song to me.  I couldn't imagine a song like that in 2005/'06.

Good point. I think pop/punk and boy bands almost share the same space today. In 1999, there was a massive difference between, say NSync and Blink 182. In fact, many of the pop/punk acts started out as more hardcore punk artists (oh, nowhere near the level of, say the Sex Pistols, but edgy compared to Good Charlotte!).

There was a short revival of "garage rock-styled punk" around 2002 and '03 to differentiate it from Simple Plan, Sum 41, etc. Bands like the Hives, etc. It seems that never truly caught on with the masses, though.

P.S. Now that I think about it, a good deal of 1999 pop songs seem almost 80's like in a teenybopper/more upbeat sense. "What's My Age" is a good example. Also, Cher had a huge comeback with "Believe" which sounded a bit 80's to me.

Written By: bbigd04 on 01/04/06 at 12:48 am

Hip-hop hit it's peak in 2005, it's no longer growing and will most likely start a slow decline in 2006. It's hard to really tell what the next trend will be, probably won't really see it till about 2008 or so.

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/04/06 at 12:52 am

Marty and Donnie, I hate to be the party pooper, but I cannot stand Green Day, Blink 182 etc. I think they're horribly mediocre and boring. To me they are at about the same talent level as New Found Glory, A Simple Plan etc

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/04/06 at 12:52 am

Good point. I think pop/punk and boy bands almost share the same space today. In 1999, there was a massive difference between, say NSync and Blink 182. In fact, many of the pop/punk acts started out as more hardcore punk artists (oh, nowhere near the level of, say the Sex Pistols, but edgy compared to Good Charlotte!).

There was a short revival of "garage rock-styled punk" around 2002 and '03 to differentiate it from Simple Plan, Sum 41, etc. Bands like the Hives, etc. It seems that never truly caught on with the masses, though.

P.S. Now that I think about it, a good deal of 1999 pop songs seem almost 80's like in a teenybopper/more upbeat sense. "What's My Age" is a good example. Also, Cher had a huge comeback with "Believe" which sounded a bit 80's to me.

A lot of '90s pop songs had a techno/dance edge somewhat like a Depeche Mode or Yaz song.  Think Ace of Base, any '90s Madonna song, or even the Spice Girls.  It's a very '90s thing, but it was one of the things the '80s and '90s shared in common.  '00s pop songs tend to have hip hop or grunge-based instrumental tracks, sometimes with 80esque keyboard laid in.

Actually, what I see now is '80s-loving adults sneaking '80s sound into more trendy '90ish songs, and kids today are too young to notice the Eighties-ness and if they do they may embrace it.

Also, I remember that dud classic rock revival of 2003, those bands sank into the post-grunge wasteland just like everyone said.  ;D  It seems the "Neo-Wave" of 2004-2005 has also departed.  Now seems like a same-old shhh sort of era.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/04/06 at 12:53 am

Marty and Donnie, I hate to be the party pooper, but I cannot stand Green Day, Blink 182 etc. I think they're horribly mediocre and boring. To me they are at about the same talent level as New Found Glory, A Simple Plan etc

I'm not a huge fan of them, but they definitely have talent.

But to each his own.  :)

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/04/06 at 1:01 am

"Also, I remember that dud classic rock revival of 2003, those bands sank into the post-grunge wasteland just like everyone said.  Grin  It seems the "Neo-Wave" of 2004-2005 has also departed.  Now seems like a same-old shhh sort of era."

I think you are referring to bands like the Hives and the Vines. Yeah, they did seem to fade very quick.

Mainstream rock n' roll will only redeem itself when it learns to stop clinging to the long-gone ankles of Kurt Cobain and try to rediscover their identity through incorporating more varying influences(classic rock, reggae, jazz, etc.) into their music; rather than trying to reproduce "Nevermind". They had the chance back in 03 with those bands, but the lemming public decided they were content with the crap they had. Let us hope that bands like My Morning Jacket, Franz Ferdinand, Kaiser Chiefs etc. are more succesful in getting the mainstream public to see the light in the latter part of this decade.

Remember, theres one major difference between now and back when those bands you speak of came out: Ipods. I don't know if people realize yet just how much these little babies are going to change music. And they thought Napster was going to take power out of the hands of the big record companies and Mtv..pfft, in the words of Bachman-Turner Overdrive "well you ain't seen nothin' yet".

Written By: bbigd04 on 01/04/06 at 1:02 am

Boulevard of Broken Dreams is definitely my favorite and one of the most memorable songs of the decade so far, imo. Holiday is also pretty good. Wake Me Up When September Ends is not my favorite, it's alright though.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/04/06 at 1:09 am

"Also, I remember that dud classic rock revival of 2003, those bands sank into the post-grunge wasteland just like everyone said.  Grin  It seems the "Neo-Wave" of 2004-2005 has also departed.  Now seems like a same-old shhh sort of era."

I think you are referring to bands like the Hives and the Vines. Yeah, they did seem to fade very quick.

Mainstream rock n' roll will only redeem itself when it learns to stop clinging to the long-gone ankles of Kurt Cobain and try to rediscover their identity through incorporating more varying influences(classic rock, reggae, jazz, etc.) into their music; rather than trying to reproduce "Nevermind". They had the chance back in 03 with those bands, but the lemming public decided they were content with the crap they had. Let us hope that bands like My Morning Jacket, Franz Ferdinand, Kaiser Chiefs etc. are more succesful in getting the mainstream public to see the light in the latter part of this decade.

Remember, theres one major difference between now and back when those bands you speak of came out: Ipods. I don't know if people realize yet just how much these little babies are going to change music. And they thought Napster was going to take power out of the hands of the big record companies and Mtv..pfft, in the words of Bachman-Turner Overdrive "well you ain't seen nothin' yet".

I think Rap has killed rock, except to Emo and Indie people; that's why Grunge is all that's left.  The Grunge era of 1991-1994 was the last great age of Rock and Roll.  :\'(

Written By: Criz on 01/09/06 at 12:26 pm

I guess what I would say is Emo is replacing Pop-punk.  I tend to think of Pop-punk more as what would be called "Emo", Good Charlotte, Simple Plan, Fall Out Boy, Sum 41, etc.   Bands influenced by Blink-182 and, oddly enough, boy bands, I don't see much Offspring or Green Day in them. 

Have you heard Blink 182's latest? They covered 'Aother Girl, Another Planet' and it;s actually really good! I've never been a big fan of theirs, but I really love their version.

Oh and Donnie Drako - don't hate to disagree, of course we all have our opinions :] I just really didn't like September-can't put my finger on why though.

I love Holiday, would say it's my favourite out of the 'American Idiot' singles too Marty!!

Written By: nally on 08/09/06 at 7:39 pm

I know this thread is rather old, but it caught my eye, so...

What the heck.

Yes I began to hear some of her stuff last year; I am sorta turned on by it, especially "Galang" (which was used recently in a honda civic car commercial) and "Bucky Done Gun". She is sorta hard to understand at times, but I do find a few of her songs upbeat.

Written By: Brian06 on 08/09/06 at 7:40 pm

I know this thread is rather old, but it caught my eye, so...

What the heck.

Yes I began to hear some of her stuff last year; I am sorta turned on by it, especially "Galang" (which was used recently in a honda civic car commercial) and "Bucky Done Gun". She is sorta hard to understand at times, but I do find a few of her songs upbeat.

Yeah I saw the "Bucky Done Gun" video on VH1 a few times, she's not bad.

Written By: nally on 08/09/06 at 11:21 pm

Yeah I saw the "Bucky Done Gun" video on VH1 a few times, she's not bad.

I ain't seen the video yet, but last year I heard her music on a radio program called Sounds Eclectic last year. O0

Maybe I should start a thread in the "On The Record" forum about her.

Check for new replies or respond here...