inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is "South Park" still hot?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/04/06 at 1:26 am

I'm not a big fan of the show, although it is pretty funny sometimes.

Do people still like it?

Subject: Re: Is "South Park" still hot?

Written By: Fuzzy on 01/04/06 at 2:29 am

Well, Comedy Central just renewed it for three more seasons...

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/04/06 at 2:31 am

Well, Comedy Central just renewed it for three more seasons...

Great, an 11-year run.  ::)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/04/06 at 2:32 am

I bet it will be fighting with The Simpsons for the longest show in 2015  ;D

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/04/06 at 2:35 am

I think South Park is in a similar position to the Simpsons now. Both were unbelievably funny the first few years they were out, but have faded since then somewhat. Its just in comparison to themselves though. Because if you compare them to most other comedies, even the newer episodes are still better, you know? And both shows sneak in enough episodes that revert back to the funny level of the early days of the show that I think overall their prescence is still worthwhile. Neither seems to be able to run out of steam. Its a bit less definite with SP, but I think both shows more or less will end upbeing able to go as long as the creators choose..

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/04/06 at 2:37 am

I think South Park is in a similar position to the Simpsons now. Both were unbelievably funny the first few years they were out, but have faded since then somewhat. Its just in comparison to themselves though. Because if you compare them to most other comedies, even the newer episodes are still better, you know? And both shows sneak in enough episodes that revert back to the funny level of the early days of the show that I think overall their prescence is still worthwhile. Neither seems to be able to run out of steam. Its a bit less definite with SP, but I think both shows more or less will end upbeing able to go as long as the creators choose..

Quite seriously though, I think Matt and Tre will end in at the end of '08.  They're not the type to wear out their welcome; 2006 still has plenty of South Park fans even if not as many as 1999.  By 2009 the series will probably be tired the way The Simpsons is now.

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/04/06 at 2:42 am

Quite seriously though, I think Matt and Tre will end in at the end of '08.  They're not the type to wear out their welcome; 2006 still has plenty of South Park fans even if not as many as 1999.  By 2009 the series will probably be tired the way The Simpsons is now.

I don't really think the Simpsons are tired. It seemed they did get into a lull for awhile in the early 00s, but I think this past season Groening has gotten his show back on track in a lot of ways. Maybe its just me, but it seemed like this season's episodes feel a bit more like old time Simpsons. Which not only means funny, but also a bit edgy and relevant(you notice lately Groening has been putting in a lot more blatant anti-Bush references?). I don't think the Simpsons ever got unfunny per se, but they did seem to lose some of their relevantcy for awhile. I think they have their groove back now, or they are getting there at least.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/04/06 at 2:44 am

I don't really think the Simpsons are tired. It seemed they did get into a lull for awhile in the early 00s, but I think this past season Groening has gotten his show back on track in a lot of ways. Maybe its just me, but it seemed like this season's episodes feel a bit more like old time Simpsons. Which not only means funny, but also a bit edgy and relevant(you notice lately Groening has been putting in a lot more blatant anti-Bush references?). I don't think the Simpsons ever got unfunny per se, but they did seem to lose some of their relevantcy for awhile. I think they have their groove back now, or they are getting there at least.

I haven't watched it for maybe a year or two, but it was a part of life from about maybe 1996-2000 for me.  But it's 2006, maybe we have to move on you know?  It's been almost 20 years.

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/04/06 at 2:46 am

I haven't watched it for maybe a year or two, but it was a part of life from about maybe 1996-2000 for me.  But it's 2006, maybe we have to move on you know?  It's been almost 20 years.

I don't see why if the show is getting back on track. Just because something is aging doesn't mean it has to become boring or irrelevant, or be discarded.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/04/06 at 2:47 am

I don't see why if the show is getting back on track. Just because something is aging doesn't mean it has to become boring or irrelevant, or be discarded.

Ending The Simpsons would be a selfish wish of mine.  If I was given to choice to end it, I wouldn't because so many people still like it.  I personally would like to see it as a nostalgic thing, considering I watched it a decade ago.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/04/06 at 10:07 am

I still like the show.

Written By: woops on 01/08/06 at 4:15 pm

Still watch it, though the current season has been very mediocre

Written By: Tia on 01/08/06 at 5:13 pm

i never was into it that much. the whole grossout/edgy obscenities thing is kinda becoming a crutch, i think. it doesn't offend me, but i don't find it very funny.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/09/06 at 12:40 am

South Park is the same as it ever was.  It's always GROSS!  Sometimes it is trenchant and incisive.  Sometimes it's juvenile and stupid.  The advantage of an animated series is the characters don't age.  However, it's possible for an animated series to stay on so long, the pop culture paradigm shift renders it irrelevant.  This is what happened to The Simpsons a few years ago.  Groening and co. needed to hang up The Simpsons while they were ahead...but they let the series jumpt the shark, now it will just die a slow death.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/09/06 at 2:00 am

South Park is the same as it ever was.  It's always GROSS!  Sometimes it is trenchant and incisive.  Sometimes it's juvenile and stupid.  The advantage of an animated series is the characters don't age.  However, it's possible for an animated series to stay on so long, the pop culture paradigm shift renders it irrelevant.  This is what happened to The Simpsons a few years ago.  Groening and co. needed to hang up The Simpsons while they were ahead...but they let the series jumpt the shark, now it will just die a slow death.

Circa 1999, South Park was about the trendiest thing ... and even into 2003 it was hot: today it has its fans but is beginning to date itself.

Written By: Fuzzy on 01/09/06 at 2:11 am

^^Have to agree there, The Simpsons should have went out gracefully years ago.  Now the series just feels like it is being beaten to death.        

I personally prefer the first few seasons of the Simpsons (1 - 'bout 6) over the rest.  I liked when the episodes made some sense.  Now it seems as though they'll do anything for a laugh.

As for South Park, a lot of people pass it off as just a shock-factor show, but I think that some of the episodes do have some interesting "commentary" on certain subjects.  I really love how South Park pretty much rips apart society in general.  SP goes after everything with great ferocity- religion, politics, celebrities, sex, etc.  No subject is too tabooed for the show.      

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/09/06 at 11:42 am

^^Have to agree there, The Simpsons should have went out gracefully years ago.  Now the series just feels like it is being beaten to death.        

I personally prefer the first few seasons of the Simpsons (1 - 'bout 6) over the rest.  I liked when the episodes made some sense.  Now it seems as though they'll do anything for a laugh.

As for South Park, a lot of people pass it off as just a shock-factor show, but I think that some of the episodes do have some interesting "commentary" on certain subjects.  I really love how South Park pretty much rips apart society in general.  SP goes after everything with great ferocity- religion, politics, celebrities, sex, etc.  No subject is too tabooed for the show.      

And we were just as potty-mouthed when we were eight, but then again, I never told a teacher to "suck my b@lls!"

Check for new replies or respond here...