inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: We need a musical pioneer!!

Written By: Zoso on 01/04/06 at 8:22 am

Ike Turner, Berry Gordy, The Beatles, James Brown, Led Zeppelin, Michael Jackson, Prince, Nirvana and Dr. Dre were all musical pioneers. They created new styles of music and/or had something new to offer popular music. Where is the musical pioneer of today? Let's look at a brief history of musical trends, and who brought them to light...

1950-55: Rock 'n' Roll
Pioneered by Ike Turner and Sam Philips
Later influenced Chuck Berry, Elvis Presley, Little Richard, Bo Diddley, Jerry Lee Lewis

1955-1959: Soul/R&B
Pioneered by Ray Charles and Berry Gordy
Later influenced The Temptations, The Four Tops, The Supremes, The Miracles, Stevie Wonder, The Jackson 5

1962-1964: Soft rock or Pop rock
Pioneered by The Beatles
Later influenced The Beach Boys, The Monkeys. The Easybeats. The Rolling Stones

1967-1969: Funk
Pioneered by James Brown and Sly & The Family Stone
Later influenced George Clinton, Prince

1970-1973: Heavy Metal
Pioneered by Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and Deep Purple
Later influenced Def Leppard, Guns & Roses, Metallica

1974: Punk
Pioneered by the Sex Pistols and The Clash
Later influenced Pop Punk which came about in 1994

1975-1977: Disco
Pioneered by The Jackson 5, Barry White and KC & The Sunshine Band

1979: Modern R&B
Pioneered by Michael Jackson
Later influenced Babyface, Brandy, Usher, Destiny's Child

1980-1981: Stripped-down funk or Electronic funk
Pioneered by Prince

1981-1983: The MTV generation and the music video
Pioneered by Michael Jackson and Madonna
Later influenced Justin Timberlake, The Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Gwen Stefani

1984-1986: Nu metal or Funk metal
Pioneered by the Red Hot Chili Peppers
Later influenced Incubus, Rage Against The Machine

1988-1990: Techno
Pioneered by Juan Atkins, Derrick May and Kevin Saunderson
Later influenced Moby, Fatboy Slim

1991: Grunge
Pioneered by Nirvana
Later influenced Foo Fighters

1992: Gangsta Rap
Pioneered by Dr. Dre
Later influenced Snoop Dogg, 2Pac, Biggie Smalls, Puff Daddy/P Diddy, Eminem, 50 Cent

1994: Pop Punk
Pioneered by Green Day and Blink 182
Later influenced Sum 41, Simple Plan

That's it. In about 1994 or 95 all the pioneering stopped. Every rap artist followed on from what Dr. Dre started, every rock back followed on from what Nirvana, Green Day and Blink 182 started, every pop and R&B act followed on from what Michael Jackson started, every funk musician followed on from what Prince started. No style of music has changed in ages, whether it be rock, pop, R&B, funk or rap. It's all been the same for over a 10 years now. When will music change? We need a musical pioneer. To me it seems music hasn't changed for a decade and it's getting boring. I'm sick of hearing 50 Cent and Eminem doing what Dr. Dre did in 1992. I'm sick of Simple Plan doing what Green Day did in 1994, and I'm even more sick of Green Day doing the same thing they did in 1994. I'm sick of Gwen Stefani doing with Madonna did in the 80s. I'm sick of Usher doing what Michael Jackson did in 1979 with "Off The Wall". It's all getting very boring. Music needs to change. Who else agrees?

Subject: Re: We need a musical pioneer!!

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 01/04/06 at 8:28 am

Fine, I'll get off my lazy ass and do it.  ::)

Written By: zotsfreak on 01/04/06 at 10:35 am

What?!!
I think you mean MC5, Sham 69, T Rex, Lou Reed, Iggy Pop, Ramones, Generation X, etc. Punk started in the good old USA but became better defined when it really took off in the UK and then crossed the pond back to us with the bands you mention, but we own the pioneers such as Igg Pop, Lou Reed, and Ramones.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/04/06 at 6:23 pm

If you want "pioneering" music, you'll have to look to greener pasutres than pop music.

Written By: Powerslave on 01/05/06 at 7:51 am

So true

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 01/05/06 at 8:27 pm

Ike Turner, Berry Gordy, The Beatles, James Brown, Led Zeppelin, Michael Jackson, Prince, Nirvana and Dr. Dre were all musical pioneers. They created new styles of music and/or had something new to offer popular music. Where is the musical pioneer of today? Let's look at a brief history of musical trends, and who brought them to light...

Later influenced Chuck Berry, Elvis Presley, Little Richard, Bo Diddley, Jerry Lee Lewis

Later influenced The Temptations, The Four Tops, The Supremes, The Miracles, Stevie Wonder, The Jackson 5

Pioneered by The Beatles

Pioneered by Prince

Later influenced Justin Timberlake, The Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Gwen Stefani

Pioneered by Nirvana

Pioneered by Dr. Dre
Later influenced Snoop Dogg, 2Pac, Biggie Smalls, Puff Daddy/P Diddy, Eminem, 50 Cent

That's it. In about 1994 or 95 all the pioneering stopped. Every rap artist followed on from what Dr. Dre started, every rock back followed on from what Nirvana, Green Day and Blink 182 started, every pop and R&B act followed on from what Michael Jackson started, every funk musician followed on from what Prince started. No style of music has changed in ages, whether it be rock, pop, R&B, funk or rap. It's all been the same for over a 10 years now. When will music change? We need a musical pioneer. To me it seems music hasn't changed for a decade and it's getting boring. I'm sick of hearing 50 Cent and Eminem doing what Dr. Dre did in 1992. I'm sick of Simple Plan doing what Green Day did in 1994, and I'm even more sick of Green Day doing the same thing they did in 1994. I'm sick of Gwen Stefani doing with Madonna did in the 80s. I'm sick of Usher doing what Michael Jackson did in 1979 with "Off The Wall". It's all getting very boring. Music needs to change. Who else agrees?
Why not YOU then? Instead of complaining about the state of today's music, why don't YOU do something about it? I can tell from this post that you are very passionate about music and knowledgeable about its history, and what separates good music from bad. But if you're truly that sick of how sh*tty music has gotten, why not make your own music in the style that YOU like? If you can afford a computer, than you can also afford the software for recording music.
     You know how the Ramones got started? Joey Ramone was making the same complaints in the early 1970's that you're making right now (he was tired of the long-winded prog rock and the 18 minute guitar solos that were so popular at the time, and he missed the simpler, more uptempo rock n' roll of the early to mid 60's), but instead of just sitting around griping about it, he and his buddies started a band so they could play the kind of music that THEY liked. There's no reason why you can't do the same thing.  :)

Written By: Zoso on 01/05/06 at 11:15 pm

I am in a band, and we do try and create our own style. But people don't want to hear it. It's interesting because we went to audition for a gig at a pub, we played an original and the pub owner wasn't interested. He said "you're playing for drunk people, no need to get artsy fartsy". We played a few covers and he loved us. It's hard to break into the music scene by playing original, different music. Another guy we went to see about getting a gig at a club wasn't interested at first, but then we went away, came back with a hot, blonde lead singer and he let us play.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/06/06 at 9:19 am

I am in a band, and we do try and create our own style. But people don't want to hear it. It's interesting because we went to audition for a gig at a pub, we played an original and the pub owner wasn't interested. He said "you're playing for drunk people, no need to get artsy fartsy". We played a few covers and he loved us. It's hard to break into the music scene by playing original, different music. Another guy we went to see about getting a gig at a club wasn't interested at first, but then we went away, came back with a hot, blonde lead singer and he let us play.

So welcome to the world of music.  This isn't much different than the start by most the bands you listed.
I am the old one who remembers seeing the Who in a club that crammed in 400, and a lot of people were there to drink.  Bruce Springsteen played at a bar next to Fenway Park with one amplifier and a room full of drunks.  The Beatles first album Meet the Beatles contains a lot of cover songs of other artists, songs they played in the bars and taverns they played in because that is what people wanted to hear.  Have you ever noticed the lead singer in alot of the bands is the one with the most sex appeal.  That's the music business, it is what it is.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/06/06 at 11:12 pm

Pioneered by The Beatles

Pioneered by Prince

Pioneered by Nirvana

Pioneered by Dr. Dre

Actually every rapper did not follow what Dr. Dre did. It depends on the region. Dr. Dre had a big impact and he did have subsequent followers; however, groups like the Wu-Tang Clan and rappers like Nas and Outlast weren't copying his sounds at all.

As for Sam Phillips, he ripped off a lot of true pioneers; therefore, I wouldn't put him in the same category as pioneer. In fact, I'd place the church as a pioneer for Rock and Roll and Soul/R&B/funk b/c that's where the foundation came from.

Punk was pioneered by groups like the New York Dolls and the Ramones, which influenced the Sex Pistols and the Clash.

Electronic Funk was pioneered by Zapp and Roger which influenced Prince.

I wouldn't put Eminem in the same category as gangsta rap b/c there's nothing gangsta about him.

Written By: Abercrombie86 on 01/07/06 at 10:39 am

Its Going to take alot to revive pop music.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/07/06 at 10:47 am

I agree..... we need one badly.

Written By: Zoso on 01/07/06 at 11:19 pm

Actually every rapper did not follow what Dr. Dre did. It depends on the region. Dr. Dre had a big impact and he did have subsequent followers; however, groups like the Wu-Tang Clan and rappers like Nas and Outlast weren't copying his sounds at all.

As for Sam Phillips, he ripped off a lot of true pioneers; therefore, I wouldn't put him in the same category as pioneer. In fact, I'd place the church as a pioneer for Rock and Roll and Soul/R&B/funk b/c that's where the foundation came from.

Punk was pioneered by groups like the New York Dolls and the Ramones, which influenced the Sex Pistols and the Clash.

Electronic Funk was pioneered by Zapp and Roger which influenced Prince.

I wouldn't put Eminem in the same category as gangsta rap b/c there's nothing gangsta about him.

Actually, you are wrong about the electro funk thing. Prince was doing this sort of thing for years before he released it commercially. Now that's he's big and famous, some of his demos from 1975-1977 have surfaced and it's clear that he was onto something with pioneering the funk genre.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/08/06 at 9:45 am

Bottom line is that there are a lot of pioneers out there playing music every day.  Either you haven't
found them, or you aren't listening.  Kinda like "Looking for love in all the wrong places"

Check for new replies or respond here...