inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Unique names make sense

Written By: JFK-2004 on 01/04/06 at 10:35 pm

Traditional names become boring and horrendously overused.  I believe it makes more sense to bestow a unique and creative moniker upon children because they will feel unique as an effect and demonstrate their creativity.  Also, variety is the spice of life, and monotony is boring, so therefore unique names enhance our society.  If someone takes issue with a name for being unusual, it is only because he or she is ignorant and uneducated.  Celebrities, for example, have every right to name their kids unique names.  It makes them stand out.  Some misinformed people ridicule celebrity name choices or express pity for the children because of their "strange" names.  If I were the child of a multi-millionaire celebrity and knew that I didn't have to worry about the problems that we have to concern ourselves with, I wouldn't care what my parents named me.  I'd simply laugh at everyone else, saying, "Hey, my name's Azolofuo, but I'm a multi-millionaire, and I don't give a #%!@ if you ridicule my awesome name!!!"

Subject: Re: Unique names make sense

Written By: JFK-2004 on 01/05/06 at 4:14 pm

Seriously, the use of traditional names displays a lack of creativity and originality.  Everyone should learn how to pronounce a bevy of names, "American" and otherwise.  Although my name, Sean, is not at all unusual, I frequently encounter imbeciles who mispronounce it like the word "seen".  God, what complete idiots.  Learn how the first two letters are pronounced in Gaelic. 

I recall becoming frustrated during high school American History class because I was forced to memorize which "John" did what and which "William" did what.  If the multitude of people I had to remember could have had different names, instead of just "John" and "William", differentiating between the figures would have been much easier.  I must have been required to learn about at least 20 "Johns" and the same number of "Williams".  Personally, I find it much easier to remember unique names than their common alternatives.  It makes the individual stand out, and I remember them more readily. 

I don't intend any personal offense to anyone named John or William who may peruse this forum, I simply don't believe parents show much creativity when they bestow such names upon their children.     

Written By: Mushroom on 01/05/06 at 5:00 pm

The choice of a name for a child is a very personal thing for a parent to decide.  And frequently, there are many reasons for the choices made.

Myself, my first and middle names are Michael Paul.  They were picked because they were the names of 2 of my father's bosses.  My parents simply liked the names.  And since Michael is among the most popular names in the last 50 years, it is not surprising.

My oldest son is Jonathan Paul.  His first name is after my paternal grandfather Jonathan (who dies 3 years before he was born), and Paul being my middle name.

My middle son is Zachary Shane.  My fiancee loved the name Zachary (Hebrew for God Remembers), and I simply liked the name Shane (what can I say, I thought Alan Ladd was tough, and the name is Irish for God Is Gracious.  Because my fiancee had many medical problems, we both saw it as a gift that he was even born.

My youngest son is David Michael.  David is after my Maternal Uncle, and of course Michael is my own name.

Of course, my Uncle David went another way.  His oldest son is Tevian.  I have no idea where that name came from.  And for kids born in the mid 1970's, there were a lot of children named Kunta Kinte, and a lot of other African names started to trickle in during that era (influenced by the movie Roots).

Just remember that the name you give your children is something they will have to carry for the rest of their lives.  If your last name is Daub, please do not name your kid Zip.  That is, unless you have no problems with everybody calling him "Zip A De Do Daub".    :D

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 01/05/06 at 7:22 pm

Seriously, the use of traditional names displays a lack of creativity and originality.  Everyone should learn how to pronounce a bevy of names, "American" and otherwise.  Although my name, Sean, is not at all unusual, I frequently encounter imbeciles who mispronounce it like the word "seen".  God, what complete idiots.  Learn how the first two letters are pronounced in Gaelic.

Do you think it's possible that they're just being smartasses? I mean, it's a safe bet that 99% of people know who Sean Connery is and how to pronounce his name. I know a couple of Seans and I'll sometimes call them "seen" just to tease them.
I recall becoming frustrated during high school American History class because I was forced to memorize which "John" did what and which "William" did what.  If the multitude of people I had to remember could have had different names, instead of just "John" and "William", differentiating between the figures would have been much easier.  I must have been required to learn about at least 20 "Johns" and the same number of "Williams".  Personally, I find it much easier to remember unique names than their common alternatives.  It makes the individual stand out, and I remember them more readily. 

I don't intend any personal offense to anyone named John or William who may peruse this forum, I simply don't believe parents show much creativity when they bestow such names upon their children.     
Myself, I think it's cool when parents use tradtional names that aren't all that common anymore. What annoys me is when they give their kids these trendy, soap-opera names.

(BTW, while we're on the subject of names, I've often wondered if there's anyone under 30 in the entire United States named "Dick."  ;D)

Written By: danootaandme on 01/06/06 at 9:23 am

So I quess you must love to say Beyonce-It took me awhile to get used to that.  ;D

Written By: JFK-2004 on 01/06/06 at 9:35 am

Yes, I do love to say that name  ;D

Written By: JFK-2004 on 01/06/06 at 3:39 pm

True, it seems like the old-fashioned traditional names have become today's unique names.  It's all cyclical. 

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/06/06 at 4:46 pm

I am all for unique names. My little boy's name is Vaughn...and I have a bunch of other names that are equally as unique if I had a girl.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/06/06 at 8:08 pm

There are actually 2 Vaughn's in my littlest one's preschool class....and there are only 14 kids :o

OMG...that is SO unusual!  :o Infact, I only know of 2 Vaughns in our area....one is an old guy who goes to our church...and the other is a local celebrity singer from ages ago...that's it!

Written By: Dagwood on 01/06/06 at 8:42 pm

True, it seems like the old-fashioned traditional names have become today's unique names.  It's all cyclical. 

True.  My daughter, Sarah, is in second grade and she is yet to have another Sarah in her class. 

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/06/06 at 8:47 pm

old fashioned names are really nice....I like the name Isabella...but I now know of like 3 Isabellas..it is becoming more popular.

Written By: ADH13 on 01/06/06 at 10:06 pm

When I was a kid the common names were Jennifer, Melissa, Dawn, Renee, Michelle, Danielle, Allison, Stephanie, Kelly, Cynthia, Jodi, Lauren, Laura, etc...  Nowadays those names are pretty unique for children.

My personal choices for names if I had kids would be Yesenia for a girl and Julian for a boy.

I would NEVER name my child Apple.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/06/06 at 11:03 pm

So I quess you must love to say Beyonce-It took me awhile to get used to that.   ;D

hahahah - well my name is Latanya and unless I'm in a particular neighborhood I won't hear it.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/06/06 at 11:08 pm

I remember back in high school...there was this girl named LaShawn Lumpkins...I always felt bad for her having that name.

Written By: ADH13 on 01/06/06 at 11:09 pm

hahahah - well my name is Latanya and unless I'm in a particular neighborhood I won't hear it.

I don't think I've heard the name Latanya before... If you didn't go by Tanya I'd probably keep calling you Latoya. :-[

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/07/06 at 7:58 am

Traditional names become boring and horrendously overused.  I believe it makes more sense to bestow a unique and creative moniker upon children because they will feel unique as an effect and demonstrate their creativity.  Also, variety is the spice of life, and monotony is boring, so therefore unique names enhance our society.  If someone takes issue with a name for being unusual, it is only because he or she is ignorant and uneducated.  Celebrities, for example, have every right to name their kids unique names.  It makes them stand out.  Some misinformed people ridicule celebrity name choices or express pity for the children because of their "strange" names.  If I were the child of a multi-millionaire celebrity and knew that I didn't have to worry about the problems that we have to concern ourselves with, I wouldn't care what my parents named me.  I'd simply laugh at everyone else, saying, "Hey, my name's Azolofuo, but I'm a multi-millionaire, and I don't give a #%!@ if you ridicule my awesome name!!!"

Actually a blind study was done comparing those phonetic and made-up named with more traditional monikers.

The people with the cutsie-pie names fared considerably worse economically and in job application situations.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/07/06 at 1:22 pm

(BTW, while we're on the subject of names, I've often wondered if there's anyone under 30 in the entire United States named "Dick."  ;D)

"Dick" is a nickname for Richard-how they get Dick from Richard I will never know.  ::)  My dad used to go by Richard when he was growing up-until he met my mother who dubbed him "Dick" which he still uses to this day. My brother on the other hand was called Dickie as a kid but now goes by Richard or Rich-and his son used to go by Richie but now just Rich. (Did I confuse you yet?  :D )

Our two granddaughters have some "unusual" names-Bailey (which isn't THAT unusual) and Darwin-because her mother is biologest but we think she was named after the wrong Charles.  ;)

Cat

Written By: JFK-2004 on 01/07/06 at 3:02 pm

[quote author=Ły

Written By: thenewwavechick on 01/07/06 at 3:20 pm

My niece's name is Sadie Ailish, which is unique.  :)

Written By: JFK-2004 on 01/07/06 at 3:25 pm

To elaborate on my previous post, the effect of a unique and creative name should be to enhance a child's creativity and make them memorable for anyone who meets them.  Although I may forget a "John", I'll have trouple forgetting a "Johnilla" (I just made that name up on the fly).  Employers can't judge a person's skills based on their name.  Johnilla could be the most dedicated and intelligent applicant ever, while John could be the most apathetic and unqualified.  Passing judgment on an applicant simply based on someone's name could potentially be a major mistake for the company, and it only demonstrates their closedmindedness and personal ignorance.  

It's not even a matter of race.  I know of plenty of white people with names like Danita, Calynde, Jazlyn, and Aliska.  

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/07/06 at 9:31 pm

Someone's name has no implication regarding their personal abilities, so the results of this study are ridiculous.  In all reality, it doesn't matter what anyone's name is. 

Personal ability is only part of the equation.  How the world perceives you is another.

People who are taken seriously will tend to get farther along.

So if a resume lands on a desk for a guy named Oranjello (because his mummy liked Orange Jello) he statistically will tend to get passed over for Marvin, DuWayne, or James when it comes time to grant interviews.

Written By: JFK-2004 on 01/07/06 at 9:45 pm

[quote author=Ły

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/07/06 at 9:57 pm

Girls' names I fancy: Jacqueline(Jackie), Laila, Lillian(Lilly), Corin, and Cassandra(Cassie).

Boys's names I like: Lachlan(Lachy), Michael(Mike), Anthony(Tony), James(Jim), and Keith.

Would any of these be unusual nowadays? I don't really know very many young kids or people who have young kids..

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/07/06 at 10:01 pm

Girls' names I fancy: Jacqueline(Jackie), Laila, Lillian(Lilly), Corin, and Cassandra(Cassie).

Boys's names I like: Lachlan(Lachy), Michael(Mike), Anthony(Tony), James(Jim), and Keith.

Would any of these be unusual nowadays? I don't really know very many young kids or people who have young kids..

i like that name, Corin...it's pretty.  Some of those names are unique (Corin, Lachlan)...but others are more common (Michael, Anthony, James, etc).

I think the name Caedmon is kinda neat....also, I like the names Phoebe, Raven, Jaden, Xavier.

Written By: Gis on 01/08/06 at 4:44 am

Ok, let me add a slightly different slant on this. Having been given a very unusual name and being a shy child I went through complete and utter hell at school having the p*ss taken out of me for my name.All I longed for was to have an ordinary name to blend in.One thing you should remember is children can be very cruel and very good at making fun of their peers if there is the slightest sign of being different from the norm.
I can certainly understand why David Bowie's son changed his name as soon as he was able !

Written By: mrgazpacho on 01/08/06 at 6:53 am

Some of those names are unique (Corin, Lachlan)...but others are more common (Michael, Anthony, James, etc).

Lachlan Murdoch is the eldest son of Rupert Murdoch. owner of News Corporation.

I'm sure it's a much more common name in the UK.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/08/06 at 8:15 am

Yeah, but I feel that the act of overlooking applicants based on names is totally the fault of the employer and could result in a critical mistake due to neglected talent.  It reflects unfavorably on those analyzing the applications and indicates their general ignorance and backwards perception of global culture. 

Regardless of how it reflects on the person doing the hiring, the peorson with the funny name does not get the job (statistically speaking, of course.)

Why would parents want to saddle their kid with an avoidable disadvantage?  Giving a kid a "you are going to get your a$$ kicked regularly in the school yard" name is like sending your kid to a substandard school when you have the choice and finances to do better.

Yeah, the kid is the same in either case, but the cards just became stacked against him/her.

Now... it is my opinion (right or wrong) that giving kids with cutie names ("look at me I am creative and gave my kid a silly name") or naming kids after their parents ("we need more people with my name") is an act of vanity on the part of the parents.  I'd never name a kid after myself, that's vain.  I *would* name kids after close friends or close relatives, because it is a way to honor somebody who I respect.  And I would never name any of my kids Oranjello

I guess being of Scottish and Irish heritage I should be naming my kids Bagpipe, Haggis, or Taterfamine.  ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 01/08/06 at 9:39 am

[quote author=Ły

Written By: JFK-2004 on 01/08/06 at 2:02 pm

According to Social Security application data, the trend starting in the mid-1990s has been to devise creative and unconventional names for children.  Scanning the school homeroom listings in my local paper, I encounter many names that you would have not seen 20-30 years ago.  People are becoming more creative, and that's a good sign in my opinion.  Tradition is bland, anyway.  Any given trend can only persist for a short period of time before it becomes overdone and unoriginal. 

With the current tendance toward christening children with original and creative names, tomorrow's society is not going to look at children with these names unfavorably.  They will be the "norm", not an exception to the rule.  All the better for society.   

Written By: Dagwood on 01/08/06 at 4:28 pm

[quote author=Ły

Written By: JFK-2004 on 01/08/06 at 4:52 pm

[quote author=Ły

Written By: Abix on 01/08/06 at 5:31 pm

My first name is Angel, and  let me say I endured many nicknames in school (i.e. Angelfruitcake, Angelbangel, Angeldust  etc)
I have grown to like my name, however. As there aren't many with my name. I do get tired of telling people that it's Angel , not Angela  or Angie.  And I've become somewhat of a cliche, as I am a  nurse by profession.  So whenever I say to a patient, (in my perkiest Katie Couric voice)  "Hi, my name is Angel, and I'm going to be your  nurse today.." I usually get the following replies.. "Oh that's wonderful, I have an angel for a nurse.."  or  "Are you really an Angel?"  I'll give my stock answers , "It's a hard name to live up to"  or  "I had my mother fooled" .  I will endure comments about my name all my life, but it's better than what my mother  had  considered naming me ;  Nellie. 

I am surprised there isn't a game  "Songs with the word Angel in the Title"  .. There are plenty of them out there..

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/08/06 at 9:10 pm

I'm not a fan of weird names, but to each his own.  We're not Tolkien characters for Pete's sake  ;D

Personally, I'm tired of every other little girl being named Emily  :P

Written By: ADH13 on 01/08/06 at 9:15 pm

Actually, I don't think it's our place to criticize the way people name their children, whether we feel their names are too unique or not unique enough.  I think most parents have a personal reason for choosing the names they do, whatever the names may be.

Written By: JFK-2004 on 01/08/06 at 9:19 pm

I'm not a fan of weird names, but to each his own.  We're not Tolkien characters for Pete's sake  ;D

Personally, I'm tired of every other little girl being named Emily  :P

Yeah, but what exactly constitutes "weird"?  That term is subjective.  What may be weird to one person could be attractive or even normal to another.  

Written By: JFK-2004 on 01/08/06 at 9:25 pm

Actually, I don't think it's our place to criticize the way people name their children, whether we feel their names are too unique or not unique enough.   I think most parents have a personal reason for choosing the names they do, whatever the names may be.

True, and I guess what you're saying applies to my viewpoint as well.  People should just accept someone for who they are and not what their name is.  Someone taking issue with someone simply because of their name is kind of ridiculous, when you think about it.  All I'm saying is that it seems that parents sometimes seem to issue names without putting much thought into their decision, especially when they simply make their kid a "Junior". 

Written By: ADH13 on 01/08/06 at 9:46 pm

My personal opinion, though, is the names from my mom's generation seem more common than any others, even though they are mostly adults.  I'm talking about names like Linda, Carol, Judy, Lynn, Ellen, Kathy, etc... These names sound like "mom" names to me, because most of my friends' moms had them.

The names from my grandmother's generation like Hazel, Hannah, Jean, Rose, Madeline, Grace, etc are not so common anymore.  Some of them might be cool to revive.

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/08/06 at 9:51 pm

My personal opinion, though, is the names from my mom's generation seem more common than any others, even though they are mostly adults.  I'm talking about names like Linda, Carol, Judy, Lynn, Ellen, Kathy, etc... These names sound like "mom" names to me, because most of my friends' moms had them.

The names from my grandmother's generation like Hazel, Hannah, Jean, Rose, Madeline, Grace, etc are not so common anymore.  Some of them might be cool to revive.

Actually Hannah and Graze are already having a revival in popularity..

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 01/09/06 at 8:58 am

How about this for a "unique" name: Asswipe (pronounced "oz-WEE-pay)... ;D ;D ;D

Written By: JFK-2004 on 01/09/06 at 9:32 am

How about this for a "unique" name: Asswipe (pronounced "oz-WEE-pay)... ;D ;D ;D

That's the point I was making with Sh!thead.  Some sadistic parents take that word, change the pronunciation to "sha-THEED", and bestow it upon their unfortunate children. 

Written By: cs on 01/09/06 at 9:38 am

Madeline and Rose are making a comeback as well.  And, believe it or not, one of my old neighbors' daughter had Hazel as a middle name.

My daughter's teacher named her youngest daughter Hazel.

My newest tenant is named Sunshine.

Written By: Criz on 01/09/06 at 12:36 pm

I think it's nice to have a unique name, but not a stipid name that would get your kid ridiculed at school. So that goes for nothing that rhymes, i.e 'Hayley Bailey' or giving boys girls' names, like 'Brooklyn' and 'Cruz' (yes-that's you Beckhams!!). I like traditional names too, beacuse they are slowly being phased out - so the traditional names are soon going to be the more unique ones, if that makes sense!!!

I'm only young and will prob change my mind, but my favourite kids names would be 'Allaynia' for a girl (beacuse I think it sounds pretty and its unique) or 'Emilia' and I love 'Jacob' and 'Miles' 'Keifer' for boys.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/09/06 at 12:59 pm

I think it's nice to have a unique name, but not a stipid name that would get your kid ridiculed at school. So that goes for nothing that rhymes, i.e 'Hayley Bailey' or giving boys girls' names, like 'Brooklyn' and 'Cruz' (yes-that's you Beckhams!!). I like traditional names too, beacuse they are slowly being phased out - so the traditional names are soon going to be the more unique ones, if that makes sense!!!

I'm only young and will prob change my mind, but my favourite kids names would be 'Allaynia' for a girl (beacuse I think it sounds pretty and its unique) or 'Emilia' and I love 'Jacob' and 'Miles' 'Keifer' for boys.

True.  By the 2020s, the Justin, Jennifers, and Ashleys of the world (born '70-early '90s) will be from their 30s to 50s!  :o

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/09/06 at 1:19 pm

When I was a kid, I met a couple of people with my name. But now, it seems to quite common (but I'm not going to tell you what it is.  ;D ;D)

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/09/06 at 3:35 pm

I just looked through my sons' directory for their school and there's only 1 "Cat" ;)

Interesting. I thought it was more popular than that. I think if your kids went to school about 10 years ago or so, you would see a lot more of them.

Cat

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/09/06 at 4:44 pm

I went to High School with a girl named Sunshine. I also met a woman at the Ren. faire(she looked like she was in her early to mid 30s) named Sunshine, a few months ago..

Written By: ADH13 on 01/09/06 at 7:02 pm

I've always thought it was interesting how accents can change the pronunciation of names.  For example, my name is Andrea (pronounced AN-dree-a) as in the Andria Doria ship but since I've been in California, I always get called (an-DRAY-a).  I'm so used to it now, that it doesn't even phase me.. but it used to really bug me.

Also, here on the west coast, and probably in most of the country, the names Aaron and Erin are pronounced basically the same.  Same with Carrie and Kerry.  But in New York City, they are pronounced completely differently.

Written By: Abix on 01/09/06 at 7:14 pm

My great grandfather's name was Hazel Raymond.  He just went by a nickname "Son" .

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/09/06 at 8:57 pm

my grandma and her sisters have some odd names....my grandma's is Nelda Blanche, and her sister's names are: Mary Minerva, and Norma Jean.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/10/06 at 5:55 am

In my family tree we have all these real solid names, but unusual, Sylvester, Adeline, Vera, Beverly, Jacob,(although Jacob has now become quite popular and is on the way to common), Esther, Frederick, They are all family names that have been passed down through 4 generations.  I have come across the names Dandrige, Isaac, and Cato.  A friend has a brother name Elkahah, I love that one.  It is easy to give a unique name without saddling a child with a name that will expose him/her to ridicule, Just check thefamily tree.    ;)  (or ask me)

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/10/06 at 11:21 am

In my family tree we have all these real solid names, but unusual, Sylvester, Adeline, Vera, Beverly, Jacob,(although Jacob has now become quite popular and is on the way to common), Esther, Frederick, They are all family names that have been passed down through 4 generations.  I have come across the names Dandrige, Isaac, and Cato.  A friend has a brother name Elkahah, I love that one.  It is easy to give a unique name without saddling a child with a name that will expose him/her to ridicule, Just check thefamily tree.    ;)  (or ask me)

I have an aunt named Vera.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/10/06 at 11:40 am

I've always thought it was interesting how accents can change the pronunciation of names.  For example, my name is Andrea (pronounced AN-dree-a) as in the Andria Doria ship but since I've been in California, I always get called (an-DRAY-a).  I'm so used to it now, that it doesn't even phase me.. but it used to really bug me.

Also, here on the west coast, and probably in most of the country, the names Aaron and Erin are pronounced basically the same.  Same with Carrie and Kerry.  But in New York City, they are pronounced completely differently.

I had a friend named Andrea and for something different I started calling her "Dree". She liked it but it never caught on-even by me.  ::)

Cat

Written By: Abix on 01/13/06 at 5:31 pm

my grandma and her sisters have some odd names....my grandma's is Nelda Blanche, and her sister's names are: Mary Minerva, and Norma Jean.

Grandparents/Great Grandparents Names
Osland Benton
Hazel Raymond
Simon Peter
John William

Nellie (not sure of middle name) I almost was given this name.
Borgny Sophia
Era Louise
Allard Maye
Ida Grace
my paternal grandfather  married , divorced and remarried.. so that's why one extra grandmother listed.

Written By: Harmonica on 01/13/06 at 5:37 pm

To my knowledge one of the Rhee Brothers, either Phillip or Simon named one of there son's Victor/Viktor.

Rather cool name.... Viktor/Victor Rhee.

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/13/06 at 7:26 pm

You guys wanna hear some weird names? Fasten your seatbelts!

My paternal grandmother: Elva Marlee

Her brothers: Oscar Hershey(but he went by Jack..wonder why?), Ransom, and Edmond(can't remember their middle names)

Her sisters: Agnes, Reina(but they called her..*shudders* "Reiner), Ruby, Tressy, and Nody. I have NO idea where some of these come from. Hillbilly names I suppose(this was northeastern Alabama).

There were was one other, but he had a normal name, William.

My paternal grandfather: Wallace Alexander(I am named after him, i'm the third, but he was known as either Red by his friends or Hoss by his family, only my grandmother and his mother called him Wallace)

His brothers: James(who everyone called Nasty), Farrel, Moses(who is called Mobe), and the other one is called "Booke", im not sure if its real name or a nickname.

His sister: Jude

My paternal grandmother: Flora Evelyn

Her sisters: Mary Ruth, Eleanor Lee

Her brother: Edward

My paternal grandfather: Roy Montgomery(goes by Buck)

I don't know his brothers' real names, but they go/went by Bronc, Cotton, and Wiley.

Yeah, names were different back then. Especially in the south I guess.

Written By: Abix on 01/13/06 at 7:32 pm

Her brothers: Oscar Hershey(but he went by Jack..wonder why?), Ransom, and Edmond(can't remember their middle names)

Her sisters: Agnes, Reina(but they called her..*shudders* "Reiner), Ruby, Tressy, and Nody. I have NO idea where some of these come from. Hillbilly names I suppose(this was northeastern Alabama).

My paternal grandfather: Wallace Alexander(I am named after him, i'm the third, but he was known as either Red by his friends or Hoss by his family, only my grandmother and his mother called him Wallace)

His brothers: James(who everyone called Nasty), Farrel, Moses(who is called Mobe), and the other one is called "Booke", im not sure if its real name or a nickname.

I don't know his brothers' real names, but they go/went by Bronc, Cotton, and Wiley.

I  just remembered some relatives from Virginia..
Great Uncle Franklin who's nickname was "Runt"
and Cousin Tunis , who's nickname was Tunie.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/13/06 at 7:41 pm

I  just remembered some relatives from Virginia..
Great Uncle Franklin who's nickname was "Runt"
and Cousin Tunis , who's nickname was Tunie.

My mother-in-law's nickname was Tunie. Her name was Maria Fortunia.

Cat

Written By: Abix on 01/13/06 at 7:53 pm

God Bless Tunies.. :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/13/06 at 8:16 pm

God Bless Tunies.. :)

Unfortunately, I never met her. She died before I could meet her.  :\'( :\'(  From what I hear, she was a very special lady.

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 01/13/06 at 10:17 pm

My great grandma was named Teeny.  I also have a great uncle named Verl Ray but everyone calls him Uncle Juicy.  Supposedly because he likes Juicy Fruit gum, but if it is because of something else, I don't want to know.  :-X

Written By: danootaandme on 01/15/06 at 8:00 am

My great grandma was named Teeny.  I also have a great uncle named Verl Ray but everyone calls him Uncle Juicy.  Supposedly because he likes Juicy Fruit gum, but if it is because of something else, I don't want to know.  :-X

LOL!!!

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 01/15/06 at 8:30 am

My paternal grandmother's name was Rose. It's become a tradition in our family to give the firstborn daughters Rose as a middle name, which I think is pretty neat.

Written By: JFK-2004 on 01/15/06 at 1:39 pm

Heh, those names aren't that "odd", "weird", or whatever operative word anyone wants to use to describe unconventional names.  I happen to like some of them, as a matter of fact.  I sort of like the name Reina, which means "queen" in Spanish. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/15/06 at 1:42 pm

Most kids named Christopher get called Chris.  I guess my friend's parents didn't want him to be just another Chris, so he got called "Topher."  It wasn't until I was in my 20s that I realized there were other Tophers out there.  There was even one who called himself Xopher (pronounced "Christopher," like Xmas).
Anyway, I didn't know Topher after we moved away when I was 13.  Many years later I found out he died in a motorcycle accident at the age of 31.
:\'(

My favorite unique name I heard recently was a Hampshire College student (and it would be Hampshire!) named "Tomato Joplin Weisberg"!  Hippie parents, I suppose.  Maybe she was named after her mother's favorite vegetable and her father's favorite singer (or favore ragtime piano player, or favorite town in Missour!).

My name isn't unique, but people tend to thing it's short for something.  "So are you a Maxwell or a Maximillian?"  Nope, just Max.  The problem is, Max is always somebody's uncle or somebody's dog.
"Oh yeah, I got an uncle back in Milwaukee named Max," or "Hey, my Lhasa Apso's name is Max, he's sooo cute, you should meet him!"
Now it's true I am somebody's uncle, but I'll be danged if I'm gonna be anybody's dog!
;D
Then I met my friend Jed.  I asked, "Are you a Jethro, or a Jedidiah."  
"Nope, just Jed."
;)

Written By: Abix on 01/15/06 at 2:12 pm

My nephew in Oregon is "just" Max also. I like Max. I think we'll see a resurgence of Max. And not just for  dogs.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/15/06 at 4:47 pm

Most kids named Christopher get called Chris.  I guess my friend's parents didn't want him to be just another Chris, so he got called "Topher."  It wasn't until I was in my 20s that I realized there were other Tophers out there.  There was even one who called himself Xopher (pronounced "Christopher," like Xmas).
Anyway, I didn't know Topher after we moved away when I was 13.  Many years later I found out he died in a motorcycle accident at the age of 31.
:\'(

My favorite unique name I heard recently was a Hampshire College student (and it would be Hampshire!) named "Tomato Joplin Weisberg"!  Hippie parents, I suppose.  Maybe she was named after her mother's favorite vegetable and her father's favorite singer (or favore ragtime piano player, or favorite town in Missour!).

My name isn't unique, but people tend to thing it's short for something.  "So are you a Maxwell or a Maximillian?"  Nope, just Max.  The problem is, Max is always somebody's uncle or somebody's dog.
"Oh yeah, I got an uncle back in Milwaukee named Max," or "Hey, my Lhasa Apso's name is Max, he's sooo cute, you should meet him!"
Now it's true I am somebody's uncle, but I'll be danged if I'm gonna be anybody's dog!
;D
Then I met my friend Jed.  I asked, "Are you a Jethro, or a Jedidiah." 
"Nope, just Jed."
;)

I know lots of people with names that seem to be nicknames:  Betsy, Becky, Beth and Kathie-these are not short for anything. I'm sure I have known others but those are the only ones I can think of right now.

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/15/06 at 7:17 pm

My nephew in Oregon is "just" Max also. I like Max. I think we'll see a resurgence of Max. And not just for  dogs.

yes, Max is a cool name.

Written By: jaytee on 01/16/06 at 8:15 am

No they don't ... most of the time they just sound bloody ridiculous  :)

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/16/06 at 11:18 am

Heh, those names aren't that "odd", "weird", or whatever operative word anyone wants to use to describe unconventional names.  I happen to like some of them, as a matter of fact.  I sort of like the name Reina, which means "queen" in Spanish. 

Wow, I speak Spanish and I have never even made that connection. I wonder where the hell they would hear the word in Alabama back in those days?

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 01/16/06 at 11:34 am

How about Orville or Elmer or Egbert? Those are unique, aren't they?  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/16/06 at 1:00 pm

A friend's mom is named Susie, she goes by Sue now ;)

Hubby has a half-brother named Dawood (I think that's how you spell it)....it's Arabic for David.  His dad (named David) had a bit of an ego since all of his sons are named after him in some way, shape or form :-\\

I thought of another one. Mike-that was his name. It was not short for Michael.

How about Orville or Elmer or Egbert? Those are unique, aren't they?  ;D

I had a step-uncle by the name of Elmor

Cat

Written By: Echo Nomad on 05/24/06 at 2:28 pm

I figure I'd like to a future son "Constantine" and a future daughter "Nevada"

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/24/06 at 4:37 pm

My name is Beth, and I always got tired of people asking me if that was short for Elizabeth.  I always said, "If my name was Elizabeth, I would have told you my name was Elizabeth, not Beth".

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/24/06 at 4:41 pm

I hate weird names. I don't mind uncommon names.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/24/06 at 6:12 pm

I like names that are just not very common. They don't have to be names that mirror that of a vampire or someone who lives in a hostel and wears flowers in their hair, but just go with what "you" feel. Don't let others deter you from that because you'll regret it.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/24/06 at 6:16 pm

My grandparents (maternal and paternal) had very tradtional names.

Betty Jane and Joseph Nicholas

Genevieve Josephine and Richard John

Written By: Apricot on 05/24/06 at 8:36 pm

I'm fine with unusual names that have meaning, but I hate unnecessarily strange names coming from people who don't know what they need.. my cousin had a child recently, and chose to name the girl Amara Jaden. "Amara" is a name for a rough Buddhist equivalent to the Christian Satan, ironically, but my cousin didn't know that. She just threw together syllables to create a foreign-sounding name.. to me, that's really just starting a stupid tradition for this generation.

Written By: Dominic L. on 05/24/06 at 10:50 pm

This is what I've been saying!

What's the point in using a "normal" name if somebody else is called that?

They don't need meanings, either... Just name your kid whatever sounds nice..

I love Dweezil Zappa's name. :P

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/25/06 at 6:54 am

Would you like to be called 'Moon Unit' every minute or every day of your life? 'Hey Moon Unit, Dinner's ready!' And then they'll be the nicknames; Moonie, Moonface, The Unit. lol. What's your name, btw? I bet it's something really boring like Mat or Steve...

Written By: karen on 05/25/06 at 7:38 am

What's your name, btw? I bet it's something really boring like Mat or Steve...

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/25/06 at 9:50 am

I stand corrected... :-[

Written By: Apricot on 05/25/06 at 2:45 pm

What's the point in using a "normal" name if somebody else is called that?

They don't need meanings, either... Just name your kid whatever sounds nice..

The purpose is the meaning behind the name.. proper names have a meaning or significance.. making up a series of syllables doesn't work.

See, you might like the name "Dweezil" now, but if you had to hear every day of your life, had to spell it for everyone who was writing your name down, and then STILL have it mis-spelled anyway.. it's annoying. Also, naming something without knowing the meaning for the sake of interesting sounds syllables is kinda.. it's like the people who make up fancy-sounding words to win arguments.

Subject: My Name Is Not As Common As One Might Think

Written By: Andria on 11/06/08 at 7:30 pm

:)Hi, everyone. This is Andria, and although my name might not seem all that unusual, the number of baby girls born in the state of Oregon with their first name spelled the same as mine in 1980 (the year I was born) can be counted on one hand. It was widely used in the 1960s and early 1970s, but only one baby girl in Oregon was given my name in 2007. All of that info was gleaned from a State-sponsored website. I imagine that it might be more common on the East Coast, but I am really not sure. As for names that I would not recommend naming children, Elisha, Leslie, Gail, Carroll and (quite common in the former Yugoslavia and neighboring countries) Andria as boys' names and any fruit or animal name for girls. Also, any name that is currently used as a trademark for a pharmaceutical product, especially an erectile-dysfunction drug, although I have decided to name a baby girl Levita or a baby boy Darvin if I ever have children despite the similarities to the names of a well-known E.D. drug and that of a slightly less familiar synthetic-opiate prescription pain killer. I saw this thread in the archives, and I decided to revive it for the sake of letting people know that Andria is not as common of a name as one might think.

Check for new replies or respond here...