inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What I don't like about today's music

Written By: Carl on 01/05/06 at 3:01 pm

I simply HATE these 'club re-mixes' I mean c'mon, how can you take such a good song from Hall & Oates and make a dance hit out of 'I can't go for that'?

Even worse is when they use old music for the new 'stars' off today. Vanilla Ice did it with Queens' 'Under Pressure' back in '90 too, and no matter how he justified the rythym, it was STILL a rip off! P. Diddy used the Police's 'Every breath you take'. I don't like that because when it comes on the radio, you think you are going to hear a good oldie.This shows NO creativity! As well as singing, you have to make your OWN music, create a style different from that of others, which I see VERY little of today. There is no variety, everyone sounds the same almost.

This is my opinion,and I'm sure many other's will vary.

Subject: Re: What I don't like about today's music

Written By: JFK-2004 on 01/05/06 at 4:03 pm

You hit the hammer directly on the tip of the nail.  In addition to the lack of originality, an abundance of today's music promotes violence and disarray.  The lyrics of many gangsta' rap songs sound akin to the words of Nazi propaganda jingles.  Their messages revolve around murder, drug abuse, and prostitution. 

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/05/06 at 5:16 pm

You hit the hammer directly on the tip of the nail.  In addition to the lack of originality, an abundance of today's music promotes violence and disarray.  The lyrics of many gangsta' rap songs sound akin to the words of Nazi propaganda jingles.  Their messages revolve around murder, drug abuse, and prostitution. 

With all of the worlds problems you are worried about gangster rap. Get real.

Written By: Schillingfan on 01/06/06 at 10:39 am

About the rap music topics, it's odd when a song about drive by shootings and gangs get past the censors, yet any song about a prostitute will get banned. It's too easy to ban any song about a prostitute (i.e: Roxanne, Jeanny), but too stupid of radio censors to let a song about gangs and drive by shootings and murder get on the airwaves. Does the radio think that if you play a song about a prostitute, girls will go and sell themselves for the money? It's not too hard to learn about the dangers of it in a song! Jeanny was banned on every radio station in every country all except for Germany and all Falco was trying to say to Jeanny was that she should go back to her loved ones and not let anyone take advantage of her. Funny how sex is taboo and violence isn't!

Ah, the smell of hypocrisy!

Written By: whistledog on 01/06/06 at 10:57 am

There's nothing I love better than a club-remix of an 80's song.  MAny of them out there today are really catchy  8)

Written By: barefootrobin on 01/06/06 at 11:16 am

All the bass!

Written By: Carl on 01/06/06 at 1:23 pm

There's nothing I love better than a club-remix of an 80's song.  MAny of them out there today are really catchy

Hey, I wish you no ill will if it's your cup of tea, I just think it's silly sounding. But I know many like club music, some of the 90s stuff sounded good, but I mean original songs.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/06/06 at 4:18 pm

Today's music is bland. There has been nothing very exciting - it's like we're living in the 30's, 40's and 50's again, but with just different styles. Nothing truly eye catching or memorable has come out of the last 5 or 10 years.

Written By: Schillingfan on 01/06/06 at 8:36 pm

Today's music is bland. There has been nothing very exciting - it's like we're living in the 30's, 40's and 50's again, but with just different styles. Nothing truly eye catching or memorable has come out of the last 5 or 10 years.

Yes! Today's music is bland because it's a damned rehash of everything and anything from the 2000's!

Now any bands known only to today's teenage record buying public sound the exact same as their musical peers! If that bullcrap keeps up there will be nothing new and we'll stand there wondering, "what the f!@# happened?"

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/07/06 at 5:24 pm

I don't think all of today's music is crappy. Fountains of Wayne's "Stacy's Mom" is cool, anything by P.O.D. is cool, OutKast is cool, The White Stripes totally rock...but other than those bands/songs today's music is ho-hum....

The reallly pioneering music came out during the 50's(rock n' roll), 60's, 70's and 80's.

Written By: bbigd04 on 01/07/06 at 11:38 pm

There's a lot of good music in the '00s no doubt. A lot will be memorable years from now, even the bad stuff we will look back and laugh at it. I used to be somewhat negative about '00s music compared to other decades, but as the decade progresses I appreciate it more and more because I do like a lot of today's music.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/08/06 at 12:22 am

There is good stuff out there - it just will hardly make it into the mainstream. The mainstream has become rather monophonic.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/08/06 at 10:02 am

God, these topics drive me nuts.  There is so much music out there and available, not like in the
50's and early 60's when all you had was top ten.  With all the different genres available at the press
of a button, from homemade in the garage to the most high tech symphony, if you are complaining
about music then you are just lazy.  Turn the station, go to a different club, stand on a corner and
make your own music, but stop the whining.  And about the remakes,  always has been done in
every era.  Elvis remade "Hound Dog" by Big Mama Thornton,  The Beatles remade the Isleys
"Twist and Shout" ,  The Stones the Isleys "Just My Imagination",  and on, and on, and on.....

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/08/06 at 12:06 pm

God, these topics drive me nuts.  There is so much music out there and available, not like in the
50's and early 60's when all you had was top ten.  With all the different genres available at the press
of a button, from homemade in the garage to the most high tech symphony, if you are complaining
about music then you are just lazy.  Turn the station, go to a different club, stand on a corner and
make your own music, but stop the whining.  And about the remakes,  always has been done in
every era.  Elvis remade "Hound Dog" by Big Mama Thornton,  The Beatles remade the Isleys
"Twist and Shout" ,  The Stones the Isleys "Just My Imagination",  and on, and on, and on.....

Thank you; I am in full agreement. Theres lots of great jazz being made currently, theres a TON of great rock n roll(but its not mainstream so YOU have to take the initiative to find it; I recommend mp3s and satelite radio..also Hastings has a good selection of alternative, and the really obscure stuff they can usually order for you). Theres still lots of good reggae being made, the Latin world is still producing lots of good music to be heard..I could go on.

If you really like music and want to find the good stuff you have to make the effort.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/08/06 at 12:13 pm

I think the biggest complaint is "Pop" in general just isn't what it use to be. It doesn't mean there's nothing good out there, but if you felt like switching the dial on the radio for maybe something new and refreshing, it was more readily available because back when pop music was in the front of all that was refreshing and new, now it's just become a mere shadow of itself. I never mind taking the effort to look around for unique stuff, it's just I'd like to hear this stuff on the radio, too. That's what frustrates me the most. This stuff is what SHOULD be on the radio, not the kind of crap we hear nowadays. One local station  (KFOG) seems to grasp this concept of mixing already heard pop music with new introductions of totally unheard artists, but artists who are not far out enough to turn you off but good enough for you to maybe want to buy their record.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/08/06 at 7:24 pm

Turn on the stations that are skipped over on scan, usually college stations have innovative, out of mainstream stuff, even on the car radio.  I don't know what music you are refering to when you write
of refreshing and new Pop.  Pop is "popular" and not know for being innovative.  The Beatles were at one
time pop and innovative at the same time.  Some of their songs you could hear on the top 10, but you
needed the college stations to hear Helter Skelter.  You never heard Clapton on the pop stations,
same with Springsteen.  Their songs were a couple of years old before you heard them on Pop.  Pop
has never been known as "new and refreshing" .  It is more like the music that the very young and
older are now aclimated enough to deal with, after having been around for a while.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/08/06 at 9:05 pm

Turn on the stations that are skipped over on scan, usually college stations have innovative, out of mainstream stuff, even on the car radio.  I don't know what music you are refering to when you write
of refreshing and new Pop.  Pop is "popular" and not know for being innovative.  The Beatles were at one
time pop and innovative at the same time.  Some of their songs you could hear on the top 10, but you
needed the college stations to hear Helter Skelter.  You never heard Clapton on the pop stations,
same with Springsteen.  Their songs were a couple of years old before you heard them on Pop.  Pop
has never been known as "new and refreshing" .  It is more like the music that the very young and
older are now aclimated enough to deal with, after having been around for a while.

Indie is a godsend, but for every person that's into indie there's 50 that aren't. 
Semi-Mainstream stuff can be nostalgized about, but most indie stuff isn't even remotely mainstream.  It's sad that people's collective experience of the Zero Decade will be of a decade of boring grunge rock, teen pop remnants, whiney emo, and bling-bling rap.  Even if people remember Linkin Park or The White Stripes, they will never become the Zepelllin or Elvis of the current era.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/08/06 at 9:29 pm

I guess we're kind of on different wavelengths here. "Pop" music to me is whatever has touched the Top 100 on Billboard. If it's been there, then it just about has been heard by somebody. And if it survives to make the top 50 or top 20 or even up to #1, then it truly has touched into the "popular" realm of music and has been accepted enough to reach to that point. Many pop songs in the 60's, 70's and 80's were innovative. It wasn't warbled over stuff that had been heard over and over again. It was new and exciting. I mean, to me, to see a rap song make it to #1 on the pop charts nowadays is nothing new to me (or for anyone else). This is the kind of point I'm trying to get across. I don't know about "never" hearing Clapton on the radio nor Springsteen. That doesn't leave a lot of room for "maybe" or "possibly."

Written By: danootaandme on 01/09/06 at 8:38 am

I don't know about "never" hearing Clapton on the radio nor Springsteen. That doesn't leave a lot of room for "maybe" or "possibly."

I was there and you never  heard early Clapton or Sprinsteen on pop stations, only on what would be called Indie now.  College and "underground" stations.  It was a different world then.  In England Radio Caroline was established, on a boat, to skirt the BBC and play music that couldn't be played.  This is a good web page to read about it.

www.radiocaroline.co.uk/History.htm

Written By: Criz on 01/09/06 at 12:41 pm

I hate a lot of the mainstream music, especially rap and hip-hop. So I choose not to listen to it.

There are so many great artists out there at the moment, you just have to search for them. It's easy to go around saying that this song is awful, and this genre is terrible - you just look deeper and investigate beacuse your sure to find somthing you like!

Carl - is it just dance versions you hate, or generally 00s music? If so, what sorta music do you like?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/09/06 at 2:42 pm

I was there and you never  heard early Clapton or Sprinsteen on pop stations, only on what would be called Indie now.  College and "underground" stations.  It was a different world then.  In England Radio Caroline was established, on a boat, to skirt the BBC and play music that couldn't be played.  This is a good web page to read about it.

www.radiocaroline.co.uk/History.htm

Well, I can't simply argue the fact that you were alive then and I wasn't. Putting that aside, Clapton probably wasn't heard much in his early years (mid 60's-late 60's) due to radio censorship - but Clapton had to be "popular" enough to have a #1 single with "I Shot the Sheriff" in 1974. So he had to have made his mark up to that point (Cream & Derek & the Dominoes). And if Springsteen wasn't really "popular," it doesn't really explain why he had two major chart topping albums in the 70's (again, if you're talking about the 60's - then I would be wrong) But, as far as pop radio goes, I can see that maybe a good portion of "innovative" music was probably largely dismissed to more AM radio kind of music that was subject to bubblegum (i.e. the Osmonds, Partridge family, Andy Gibb, etc.)

I tried to read about the history of the radio Caroline, but unfortunately I'm at work and can't read it in detail.. but I would definetely like to, as it seems like a very interesting history!

Written By: danootaandme on 01/09/06 at 5:44 pm

Putting that aside, Clapton probably wasn't heard much in his early years (mid 60's-late 60's) due to radio censorship - but Clapton had to be "popular" enough to have a #1 single with "I Shot the Sheriff" in 1974. So he had to have made his mark up to that point (Cream & Derek & the Dominoes). And if Springsteen wasn't really "popular," it doesn't really explain why he had two major chart topping albums in the 70's (again, if you're talking about the 60's - then I would be wrong) But, as far as pop radio goes, I can see that maybe a good portion of "innovative" music was probably largely dismissed to more AM radio kind of music that was subject to bubblegum (i.e. the Osmonds, Partridge family, Andy Gibb, etc.)

The first album "Fresh Cream" came out in '66, so we have him up until "I Shot the Sheriff" 1974, only being played on college stations and "underground".  It didn't have anything to do with censorship. Just that he wasn't as well known yet. I am not saying these groups were unknown, but they weren't household names either.  As the population who was listening to them for all those years in between got older, and introduced their younger brothers and sisters and children to the music, his fan base(and their wallets) got larger. The same for most of the major innovative groups.  The venues they played were usually not any larger than the local movie theater.  In other posts I have listed some of the groups I saw in settings like that, and smaller, including Who, and U2.  Up until the 70's all "pop" (or top ten as it was called then) was played on AM, and to hear people like Clapton, Hendrix, etc, you had to have an FM radio(you had to get them special, they didn't come automatically) and listen to specific programs that were sometimes only on during daylight hours, or for a couple of hours a day, or week. 
To get back, sort of, to the original topic, there is a lot of innovative music out there, and they are playing in the same way that some of the major names in music did for years before they became what they became.  In order to hear them you have to be proactive, then one day you can write posts about how you saw such and such in a small place where you were able to hear the music played the way it was supposed to be heard(not on a football field)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/09/06 at 5:57 pm

The first album "Fresh Cream" came out in '66, so we have him up until "I Shot the Sheriff" 1974, only being played on college stations and "underground".  It didn't have anything to do with censorship. Just that he wasn't as well known yet. I am not saying these groups were unknown, but they weren't household names either.  As the population who was listening to them for all those years in between got older, and introduced their younger brothers and sisters and children to the music, his fan base(and their wallets) got larger. The same for most of the major innovative groups.  The venues they played were usually not any larger than the local movie theater.  In other posts I have listed some of the groups I saw in settings like that, and smaller, including Who, and U2.  Up until the 70's all "pop" (or top ten as it was called then) was played on AM, and to hear people like Clapton, Hendrix, etc, you had to have an FM radio(you had to get them special, they didn't come automatically) and listen to specific programs that were sometimes only on during daylight hours, or for a couple of hours a day, or week. 
To get back, sort of, to the original topic, there is a lot of innovative music out there, and they are playing in the same way that some of the major names in music did for years before they became what they became.  In order to hear them you have to be proactive, then one day you can write posts about how you saw such and such in a small place where you were able to hear the music played the way it was supposed to be heard(not on a football field)

Well, to say it in a simple way, I agree.  ;D

On a side note:
My mother saw Linda Ronstadt in a small club in Berkeley, CA in the early 70's before she became a "household" name. Despite the fact that she had been in the Stoneponies, she was still relatively unknown as a solo artist. So, it never hurts to see someone who is kinda a "nobody" to find out one day that they're a "somebody" afterall.

Subject: You Gotta be Kidding me!!

Written By: BigBrotha on 01/09/06 at 6:24 pm

:o

Does ANYBODY like today's music??!! I love it! There is a ton of great music out there! I love Crunk and the Dirty South style of Rap! Yet      artists like Juelz Santana, Young Jeezy, 50 Cent, and of course the Amazing Black Eyed Peas are all making great music! And Yes alot of thier music is on the radio! Some of today's great music isn't on the radio, but hey- It was made in THIS decade which means there is plenty of great music out right now! Rock also has a lot of great music out right now, bands like The White Stripes, Hawthorne Heights, The amazing System of a Down! C'mon guys! Latin music has exploded, with Shakira being great, as well as Daddy Yankee and the various Reggaeton bands that are out right now! Dance music is great. Country.... I don't know, cuz I don't listen to country.

Music today rules! And Yes,  "Hollaback Girl" and "My Humps" are awesome songs! Sure you may be tired of them now, but they'll go down as some of this decade's best songs! Now, I am not going to retract that statement, no way, no how!

Oh, and by the way, What about Kanye West?? ;D

Subject: Re: You Gotta be Kidding me!!

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/09/06 at 7:06 pm

:o

Does ANYBODY like today's music??!! I love it! There is a ton of great music out there! I love Crunk and the Dirty South style of Rap! Yet      artists like Juelz Santana, Young Jeezy, 50 Cent, and of course the Amazing Black Eyed Peas are all making great music! And Yes alot of thier music is on the radio! Some of today's great music isn't on the radio, but hey- It was made in THIS decade which means there is plenty of great music out right now! Rock also has a lot of great music out right now, bands like The White Stripes, Hawthorne Heights, The amazing System of a Down! C'mon guys! Latin music has exploded, with Shakira being great, as well as Daddy Yankee and the various Reggaeton bands that are out right now! Dance music is great. Country.... I don't know, cuz I don't listen to country.

Music today rules! And Yes,  "Hollaback Girl" and "My Humps" are awesome songs! Sure you may be tired of them now, but they'll go down as some of this decade's best songs! Now, I am not going to retract that statement, no way, no how!

Oh, and by the way, What about Kanye West?? ;D

Hey - I do agree that a lot of those artists are pretty good. Heck, I would even take it a notch higher and say that a good portion of today's music is really starting to take a nice turn to being much better than the 90's output. I guess we'll only find out when the decade is over after some time of reflection. By then I'll be 28 years old.

Written By: Chrisrj on 01/10/06 at 2:03 am

I for one, LOVE remixes.  It's always fun to hear something done in a new style.  It's not just dance remixes of classic pop songs I like, someday I'd love to hear a rock cover of a dance-pop song from 1996.  I also love classical renditions.

Some of you probably just say that because everyone else says it, and you just want to get along with everyone else, like a neverending chain.

I just know that it's only music, not my life.  And if it was my life, I can change back to my old self at any time.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/12/06 at 4:16 am

8)  I like a lot of different music, from the '60s to today..to say that all of today's music stinks would not be true for me. Why people bash groups like 3 Doors Down and Nickelback I can't get. I got my love of '60s stuff like the Beatles, Stones, Paul Revere and the Raiders, the Doors, Steppenwolf, Cream, The Who from my older sister...and I had a radio when I was a kid...parents were not as worried it seems like some are today about kids listening to popular music(due to the PMRC and nutcases like Dr. James Dobson!)..and the 70's stuff, even some of the disco stuff, I still listen to. Even though I was into heavy metal during the 80's, I have grown to like 80's pop like Duran Duran and Prince..90's stuff, I think Live is cool..Pearl Jam's Ten CD...Alice in Chains....and P.O.D.'s "The Fundamental Elements of Southtown" which was released in 1999(first major label CD, they had indie CD's since 1992!)..Today I like the aforementioned 3 Doors Down and Nickelback, Fountains of Wayne, the Smithereens(they've been around since the 1980's), Pink, Shakira, OutKast, No Doubt..

If someone does not like today's music there are oldies stations and college radio.  One person's trash is another person's treasure.
      ;)

Written By: Carl on 01/12/06 at 8:36 am

50 Cent? Young Jeezy?? Lil' Kim?This is what I mean! Does anyone have any NORMAL names,anymore! I will go on record and say with the exception of a few songs, a resounding NO, I DON'T like ANY of today's music!! I have seen contestants auditioning for American Idol, the ones who they kick off, who have MUCH more talent than some of these so-called artists today. And if you can understand half of what these people are singing about, well, you must be a translator or something. They find people anywhere these days, nobody really pays any dues. In my day, there were NO 15 year old singers with maybe a few, VERY few exceptions!  Now it seems they all start at 15, 16 or 17!! Well, everytime a car pulls along side of me blasting some hip hop song, I'll crank up my Rolling Stones tape! LOL!!!

Written By: Carl on 01/12/06 at 9:54 am

Okay, rather than be so bitter about all this stuff today, I'll tell you a few songs that are pretty good. I like the one 'Stacy's Mom' by Fountains of Wayne, that I'll admit has a good beat to it. Sylver's All this time is a good one too. I got the last CD from Weezer, which was VERY good. Unfortunately the bad outweighs most of the ones I like  :-\\

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/12/06 at 12:26 pm

Okay, rather than be so bitter about all this stuff today, I'll tell you a few songs that are pretty good. I like the one 'Stacy's Mom' by Fountains of Wayne, that I'll admit has a good beat to it. Sylver's All this time is a good one too. I got the last CD from Weezer, which was VERY good. Unfortunately the bad outweighs most of the ones I like  :-\\

Your complaints make no sense to me, man. There is more good rock right now then you can shake a stick at. Of course, if you aren't willing to go to sources besides the traditional ones(terrestrial radio, Mtv etc.) such as satelite radio, and downloading music off the internet, that is your own problem. But just because you aren't willing to put in the effort to seek out good music doesn't mean its not there.

Written By: Carl on 01/12/06 at 1:44 pm

Your complaints make no sense to me, man. There is more good rock right now then you can shake a stick at. Of course, if you aren't willing to go to sources besides the traditional ones(terrestrial radio, Mtv etc.) such as satelite radio, and downloading music off the internet, that is your own problem. But just because you aren't willing to put in the effort to seek out good music doesn't mean its not there.

Hey, that's fine, everyone has their own taste. If you have found stuff that is cool to listen to and you enjoy, I'm not downing you for that at all.  Right now I don't have (or can afford) satelite radio, and I can't download stuff on my computer due to tech problems I'm experiencing.  It's not that I don't put in the effort, just that I don't have the resources now. But someday I hope to get Sirius or what have you, and do some searching. Maybe I'm just getting old, but I guess I just LOVE my 80s and earlier stuff, to me the music seemed so new, not as racy and was just very enjoyable to listen to.

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/12/06 at 3:19 pm

Hey, that's fine, everyone has their own taste. If you have found stuff that is cool to listen to and you enjoy, I'm not downing you for that at all.  Right now I don't have (or can afford) satelite radio, and I can't download stuff on my computer due to tech problems I'm experiencing.  It's not that I don't put in the effort, just that I don't have the resources now. But someday I hope to get Sirius or what have you, and do some searching. Maybe I'm just getting old, but I guess I just LOVE my 80s and earlier stuff, to me the music seemed so new, not as racy and was just very enjoyable to listen to.

Do you have a satelite television or cable? I ask because Sirius comes along with the basic programming package on Dish network(which is what we have where I live). Thats how I have it. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to afford it at this time either. I was thinking if you have Dish network you may already have Sirius without realising it. I didn't discover it for awhile myself. DirecTV doesn't have Sirius, but they do have a pretty good selection of CD stations there.

Written By: Carl on 01/12/06 at 3:36 pm

I have basic cable, but eventually I will upgrade.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/12/06 at 7:32 pm

50 Cent? Young Jeezy?? Lil' Kim?This is what I mean! Does anyone have any NORMAL names,anymore! I will go on record and say with the exception of a few songs, a resounding NO, I DON'T like ANY of today's music!! I have seen contestants auditioning for American Idol, the ones who they kick off, who have MUCH more talent than some of these so-called artists today. And if you can understand half of what these people are singing about, well, you must be a translator or something. They find people anywhere these days, nobody really pays any dues. In my day, there were NO 15 year old singers with maybe a few, VERY few exceptions!  Now it seems they all start at 15, 16 or 17!! Well, everytime a car pulls along side of me blasting some hip hop song, I'll crank up my Rolling Stones tape! LOL!!!
Hey..not all hip-hop is crap..there are hip-hoppers out there that can also sing..and Old School stuff like Arrested Development's "Tennessee" , KRS-One's "You Must Learn", Grandmaster Flash's "The Message" are all cool...worth checking out and listening to with an open mind...as far as today's hip-hop, yes I like OutKast and even some of Nelly's stuff. Whatever floats one's boat, I guess.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 01/12/06 at 7:34 pm

Hey..not all hip-hop is crap..there are hip-hoppers out there that can also sing..and Old School stuff like Arrested Development's "Tennessee" , KRS-One's "You Must Learn", Grandmaster Flash's "The Message" are all cool...worth checking out and listening to with an open mind...as far as today's hip-hop, yes I like OutKast and even some of Nelly's stuff. Whatever floats one's boat, I guess.
I haven't enjoyed any hip hop that I have heard, so I will just give that genre a miss completely. However, I agree that there is some good stuff out there you just have to search for it (as with every genre)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/12/06 at 7:36 pm

Hey..AOL Radio now has XM Satellite radio as part of the online entertainment...

BTW has Howard Stern been on Sirius yet? I mean did his show start yet?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/12/06 at 8:12 pm

Do you have a satelite television or cable? I ask because Sirius comes along with the basic programming package on Dish network(which is what we have where I live). Thats how I have it. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to afford it at this time either. I was thinking if you have Dish network you may already have Sirius without realising it. I didn't discover it for awhile myself. DirecTV doesn't have Sirius, but they do have a pretty good selection of CD stations there.

To add to that, our local cable (which is provided by Comcast) has local radio stations at the very, very end of the channel selection. It's kinda neat if you can get it rather clear, otherwise I guess it doesn't do much good. Plus, stations on itunes.com provides TONS of stations playing all kinds of stuff. So, there are lots of selections out there to find some good music that's available for the current time we're living in. Thanks to Amazon.com and their free download page, I discovered Allison Krauss +Union Station and absolutely fell in love with their stuff!

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/12/06 at 8:20 pm

To add to that, our local cable (which is provided by Comcast) has local radio stations at the very, very end of the channel selection. It's kinda neat if you can get it rather clear, otherwise I guess it doesn't do much good. Plus, stations on itunes.com provides TONS of stations playing all kinds of stuff. So, there are lots of selections out there to find some good music that's available for the current time we're living in. Thanks to Amazon.com and their free download page, I discovered Allison Krauss +Union Station and absolutely fell in love with their stuff!

Yeah I have discovered a lot of music through Amazon.com too. Not just the free downloads page, but whenever you pull up an artist they display similar ones.

Written By: Chrisrj on 01/13/06 at 4:03 am

So you were talking about hip-hop remixes and not dance remixes?  Well, I completely agree.  Hip-hop today sucks total b***s.

But don't knock dance songs, or mixes, they're my favorite.  Any type of good arrangement of any good song is good in my book.

Written By: Carl on 01/13/06 at 7:47 am

But don't knock dance songs, or mixes, they're my favorite.  Any type of good arrangement of any good song is good in my book.

An original dance song is fine, but don't use old music to mix or even old songs for them because that to me is sacreligious.

Grandmaster Flash's "The Message" are all cool

THAT was a great rap song.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/03/06 at 4:59 pm

So far, this year, I have been somewhat pleased with what's come out, besides most rap (of course).

Written By: lizjagger on 07/03/06 at 6:20 pm

Like others have said, good music is out there, you just have to make the effort to look for it. Most people who complain about there not being any good music are those who listen to the radio, watch mtv , vh1 etc, without venturing out on their own to find what they love. It's a guarantee that it is next to impossible to hear good music from the mainstream.
I don't let the radio or tv tell me what good music is, I don't let the mainstream media dictate what I listen to. In fact, the majority of music I listen to isn't mainstream and can't be found on the radio,mtv/vh1..There are so many awesome, obscure genres and musicians out there that are available if you search for them. You just have to know what kind of sound you want to hear.

Written By: bbigd04 on 07/03/06 at 7:05 pm

I listen to a lot of popular music and enjoy a number of songs. Today's music isn't that bad for me, some of it is crap of course, but there are many excellent (and popular) songs from this decade. There's a lot of people that like today's music, just very few on this board for some reason.

Written By: whistledog on 07/04/06 at 8:41 pm

I've been impressed with the charts as of late.  In Canada, it's awesome.  There's like very little hip hop.  It's excellent O0

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/04/06 at 9:32 pm

Hey, there's Yahoo Launchcast too....

Written By: Melly KcNay on 07/04/06 at 9:59 pm

Like others have said, good music is out there, you just have to make the effort to look for it. Most people who complain about there not being any good music are those who listen to the radio, watch mtv , vh1 etc, without venturing out on their own to find what they love. It's a guarantee that it is next to impossible to hear good music from the mainstream.
I don't let the radio or tv tell me what good music is, I don't let the mainstream media dictate what I listen to. In fact, the majority of music I listen to isn't mainstream and can't be found on the radio,mtv/vh1..There are so many awesome, obscure genres and musicians out there that are available if you search for them. You just have to know what kind of sound you want to hear.

Pop singer/songwriter Deborah Gibson deserves to be heard, and I don't mean her '80's material. Though they're also good.

Maybe Asyln...but she's OK

Written By: Nylsa on 07/04/06 at 10:09 pm

^ It's spelled "Aslyn", my bad

She's like Nelly McKay's evil good twin  :)

though a generic pop singer instead of a foul mouthed version of Doris Day

Written By: Marilyn Hanson on 07/04/06 at 11:57 pm

It's spelled "Nellie McKay", Lex Luthor's favorite singer!!!  >:( >:( >:(

Hulk smash Nellie McKay CDs!!!

Written By: WalkerP20 on 07/05/06 at 1:11 am

There's nothing I love better than a club-remix of an 80's song.  MAny of them out there today are really catchy  8)

Agreed 100%

I'm glad we have Rappers sampling old songs, because let's face it, "Original" Rap these days is horrible!  Just listen to people like Yung Joc, Paul Wall and Nelly.

I wish all songs today sampled old songs, atleast they are recognizable "Beats" that I can enjoy

Check for new replies or respond here...