inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2000s aren't that different from the 90s

Written By: Dr. Claw on 01/09/06 at 2:58 am

This subject has come up in a few other threads, and I thought it would make an interesting topic.

Some people talk about how "ancient" the 1990s are now, and how things are so different today.     

But in my opinion, a lot of 90s culture is still around today.  So far, this decade really hasn't proven itself with a unique identity. 

Sure, we do have some things unique to the 2000s- Cell Phones are now essential, MP3 / digital music has replaced CDs, Rap has taken over, and obviously the whole world has been altered by the events of 9/11, but other than those, it seems as though this decade is really yet too develop its own distinctive personality like other decades have.  There hasn't been any groundbreaking trends (Infact, some 70s and 80s trends seem to be making a comeback), today's music lacks originality, and we are actually recycling old movies and television shows.   

If you compare 1995 to 1985, there is a big difference in fashion, music, television, trends etc.

Same with 1985 to 1975.

But then, upon comparing 2005 to 1995, the jump isn't that big.  You could pick up a guy off the street from 10 years ago and throw him on a street today and his clothes or attitude wouldn't stick out hardly any. 

Some people go as far as to refer to the 2000s as "The New 90s" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Nineties.

In the future, will this decade be remembered for anything besides world conflict?  Or will it simply seem to be blurred into the 1990s?

Subject: Re: 2000s aren't that different from the 90s

Written By: bbigd04 on 01/09/06 at 3:09 am

This subject has come up in a few other threads, and I thought it would make an interesting topic.

Some people talk about how "ancient" the 1990s are now, and how things are so different today.     

But in my opinion, a lot of 90s culture is still around today.  So far, this decade really hasn't proven itself with a unique identity. 

Sure, we do have some things unique to the 2000s- Cell Phones are now essential, MP3 / digital music has replaced CDs, Rap has taken over, and obviously the whole world has been altered by the events of 9/11, but other than those, it seems as though this decade is really yet too develop its own distinctive personality like other decades have.  There hasn't been any groundbreaking trends (Infact, some 70s and 80s trends seem to be making a comeback), today's music lacks originality, and we are actually recycling old movies and television shows.   

If you compare 1995 to 1985, there is a big difference in fashion, music, television, trends etc.

Same with 1985 to 1975.

But then, upon comparing 2005 to 1995, the jump isn't that big.  You could pick up a guy off the street from 10 years ago and throw him on a street today and his clothes or attitude wouldn't stick out hardly any. 

Some people go as far as to refer to the 2000s as "The New 90s" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Nineties.

In the future, will this decade be remembered for anything besides world conflict?  Or will it simply seem to be blurred into the 1990s?

I think music is different in a lot of ways, but everything else is pretty similiar. Fashion has changed very little since the late '90s. I have video I took in 1996, and if the date wasn't there you could say it was 2005. The overall enviroment hasn't really changed much since 1996/97. I still think of 1996 as modern, even though it is now 10 years ago it really doesn't seem like it.

Written By: Roadgeek on 01/09/06 at 8:11 am

I agree with you a little bit, but the 90's seem retro to me. Just my opinion.

Written By: Carl on 01/09/06 at 10:46 am

Cell phones have got smaller, other than that, I don't see a big difference between the 00s and the 90s as far as fashion, music, etc.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/09/06 at 12:25 pm

The 1990s and 2000s are indeed similar.

How similar?  About as similar as the 1960s and 1970s are, perhaps even a bit more.
The main 90s/2000s differences are the Internet (today: totally essential; 90s range from pre-WWW in 1990 to virtually essential in 1999), increased terrorism awareness, lack of Dot-com stocks, lots of rap as opposed to all rap music.  90s tech is really primitive compared to today's but the music from then is very agreeable in 2006.  But, prior of 1997 the '90s were considerably different from now; 1997-99 is very sameish but with some differences.

About the 90s and 2000s having the same atmosphere; well, to an extent, but I think there are some differences, ie 2000s houses seem less comfy and decorated than '90s houses.  If I was sent back 10 years, but my house was the same I think it would take some time to realize I'd traveled back!

P.S. I wrote the first New Nineties article!  ;D

Also, does anyone think the 2010s might be a third '90s?

Written By: JFK-2004 on 01/09/06 at 2:15 pm

Also, does anyone think the 2010s might be a third '90s?

God, I sure hope not.  Twenty or thirty years of cultural stagnation would become almost unbearable.  I wonder what's caused the stagnation over the past ten to fifteen years.  Is our culture just becoming more unoriginal and lazy? 

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/09/06 at 2:22 pm

God, I sure hope not.  Twenty or thirty years of cultural stagnation would become almost unbearable.  I wonder what's caused the stagnation over the past ten to fifteen years.  Is our culture just becoming more unoriginal and lazy? 

I guess people became contented with "The Simpsons", Grunge rock, Walmart, and gangsta rap ... for eternity  >:(  ;D

Written By: Chrisrj on 01/10/06 at 2:26 am

If the 2000s are still too much like the 90s to you, then do something about it.

Even if it isn't that much outdated, maybe people are just not caring about pop culture enough like you do to actually change anything now.

This has to be the oldest debate on the entire site.

Written By: Dr. Claw on 01/10/06 at 4:17 am

^Hey, I was just making an observation.  Sorry to have offended you in some way.  ::)

Written By: JDeeOfV on 01/12/06 at 4:28 pm

i dont think hes offended, i think its just tiring. The people who have been here for years have beaten this horse to death, reincarnated it, beaten it again, reincarnated, beaten it again, and so on.

Written By: Chrisrj on 01/13/06 at 3:11 am

Yeah it just irritated me.  It wasn't you.  Sorry about that.  I have a foul temper sometimes.

Check for new replies or respond here...