inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What exactly is Emo?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/10/06 at 3:19 pm

I see "Emo" sort of as alternative pop-punk, that is pop-punk that screams and whines or is different from most.  Fall Out Boy, Simple Plan, etc. and not Sum 41, Green Day or Blink 182.  The emo explosion I'd date to about 2003, maybe 2002.

Subject: Re: What exactly is Emo?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/10/06 at 5:23 pm

I agree with the definition that was given.

Written By: bbigd04 on 01/10/06 at 8:04 pm

I see "Emo" sort of as alternative pop-punk, that is pop-punk that screams and whines or is different from most.  Fall Out Boy, Simple Plan, etc. and not Sum 41, Green Day or Blink 182.  The emo explosion I'd date to about 2003, maybe 2002.

Emo is just like whiny punk. I'd put it at 2002, that's when Good Charlotte and Simple Plan appeared.

Written By: McDonald on 01/10/06 at 11:47 pm

None of those bands mentioned are Emo, and while I personally can't stand the genre I do have to point out that there is a definite distinction between Pop-punk and Emo (although the two may sometimes be cross-pollinated).

Emo would include artists like Dashboard Confessional, Coheed and Cambria, Bright Eyes, and probably the Postal Service. It's marked by overly "emotional" lyrics (which sometimes reach the point of ad nauseum) and accompanied by softer music than what is used for Pop-punk.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/11/06 at 2:26 pm

None of those bands mentioned are Emo, and while I personally can't stand the genre I do have to point out that there is a definite distinction between Pop-punk and Emo (although the two may sometimes be cross-pollinated).

Emo would include artists like Dashboard Confessional, Coheed and Cambria, Bright Eyes, and probably the Postal Service. It's marked by overly "emotional" lyrics (which sometimes reach the point of ad nauseum) and accompanied by softer music than what is used for Pop-punk.

I don't know if I'd call Postal Service emo.  Dashboard yes, I haven't heard Coheed or Bright Eyes.

I'd call Emo a hybrid of Indie, Pop-Punk, Garage Rock, and New Wave, with emotional/whiny lyrics.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/11/06 at 4:12 pm

I think of emo as the sort of indie songs that play heavily on emotion, especially in the sense that the listener's response is usually more to the emotion than, say, the lyrics themselves, which can be abstract.

In that case, would Nirvana be emo?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/11/06 at 4:17 pm

Nah. I was just adding that characteristic to the other stuff posted here, which seems pretty accurate to me.

Okay. 

To me the prime emo-tion is whine. 

In the words of Simple Plan:

"I just wanna SCREEEEM!"

:P

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/11/06 at 4:23 pm

I have it on pretty good authority that emo is Beth.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 01/11/06 at 7:08 pm

I have it on pretty good authority that emo is Beth.

*flips off alex*

Emo is emotional. Everything has some sort of emotion to it--no matter the genre. So, I don't believe in "Emo". It's just a fad.

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/11/06 at 7:33 pm

*flips off alex*

Emo is emotional. Everything has some sort of emotion to it--no matter the genre. So, I don't believe in "Emo". It's just a fad.

;D :P I'm not the one who said it. Didn't you read the first impressions thread?

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 01/11/06 at 9:46 pm

;D :P I'm not the one who said it. Didn't you read the first impressions thread?

Woops! *Takes back flippage offage*

Check for new replies or respond here...