inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: GoogleEarth

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/11/06 at 2:38 pm

Google "GoogleEarth", download the software and prepare for the greatest thing ever.  8)

NO IT'S NOT A VIRUS

P.S. If you have Wireless make sure it doesn't crash your connection.

Subject: Re: GoogleEarth

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/11/06 at 4:05 pm

Eh I've got dial-up. Sounds cool though.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/11/06 at 4:13 pm

Eh I've got dial-up. Sounds cool though.

You can use dial up, but it's slow.  I would try it.

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/11/06 at 4:18 pm

You can use dial up, but it's slow.  I would try it.

K.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/11/06 at 4:20 pm

SInce it has been available I have used GoogleEarth at home for home use, even just seeking addresses by postcode, with the aerial/satelitte pictures giving a further insight to the destination tavelling too.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 01/11/06 at 8:45 pm

Yes, downloaded it a while ago.

It needs more detailed pictures, I don't care too much if they are 3-5 years old, just more detail and I'll be happy.

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/11/06 at 9:19 pm

Downloaded.

Its very cool, although not as detailed as I had hoped. And it seems certain locations have much more details shots than others. Why the imbalance I wonder? I tried to view my house and I couldn't even get a good enough view of it to make it out.

Written By: Skippy on 01/11/06 at 11:34 pm

A few months back I used Google Earth to look at the Air Force base where I served and it was detailed enough to show me it's changed a lot. I was even able to locate where I lived. I've also use terra server. It gets in pretty close.

Written By: ADH13 on 01/11/06 at 11:38 pm

That's pretty cool!  I found my old house where I grew up, and from there I used the arrows to "walk to school" :D

I wish the tilt feature would have showed me the front of my house though. :-\\

Written By: karen on 01/12/06 at 3:49 am

Downloaded.

Its very cool, although not as detailed as I had hoped. And it seems certain locations have much more details shots than others. Why the imbalance I wonder? I tried to view my house and I couldn't even get a good enough view of it to make it out.

It has most of my town on but not one edge of it which is where my house is located!

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 01/12/06 at 3:51 am

I wanted to see my house... from the sky ('cause that's one angle I haven't seen it from) but it's not in any detailed area  :-\\

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/17/07 at 8:15 am

It has most of my town on but not one edge of it which is where my house is located!
Just to let you know that area of Loughborough, Leicester and Nottingham has been updated now and hopefully you can see your home town now.

Written By: danootaandme on 06/17/07 at 10:28 am

Try

www.zillow.com/

After you key in your address and it comes up click on your address again and you get a closer look.  The pictures look to be about 5 years old though.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/17/07 at 10:40 am

Try

www.zillow.com/

After you key in your address and it comes up click on your address again and you get a closer look.  The pictures look to be about 5 years old though.
Does this work for the UK?

Written By: annonymouse on 06/17/07 at 1:20 pm

type in area 51 in the google earth search bar. it's not as exciting as i'd hoped. basically a really long run way in the middle of the dessert. there's a bunch of buildings, a few jet planes and some smaller black jets. stealth fighters maybe? anyways, it's pretty cool. by the way, if you don't wan't to take up computer space by downloading it, you can just go to google maps and click on satelite images. it's basically the same thing just a bit less quality, you can't go quite as close, and rather than flying to the address it just loads up the image. still pretty cool though. i heard google earth is getting a new update that will allow you to go down to street level in certain places (not everywhere because the "google van" has to drive through the featured area to take pictures)so that you can see all the buildings (in the area) in 3d and even see people and their faces! they say you'll be able to flag any picture depicting yourself (if you don't want to be seen) or any otherwise innapropriate picture.  :o

Written By: danootaandme on 06/17/07 at 1:23 pm

Does this work for the UK?

Don't know.  It won't work on Safari, will on Firefox.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/17/07 at 1:40 pm

Don't know.  It won't work on Safari, will on Firefox.
USA addresses only.

Written By: Marian on 06/17/07 at 4:30 pm

san Jose doesn't seem to have it.is this the  one that had pics of people sunbathing or undressing in front of open windows,people urinating against wals,and someone getting arrested?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/17/07 at 4:35 pm

san Jose doesn't seem to have it.is this the  one that had pics of people sunbathing or undressing in front of open windows,people urinating against wals,and someone getting arrested?
San Jose comes up nice and clear

Written By: whistledog on 08/16/07 at 8:24 pm

I've Been Using Google Earth Since August 2005! Suckers. So I Was The First One To Explore It!  ;) :D

Why is it you always call people names?  Suckers, douchebags, etc.  It isn't very nice

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/16/07 at 11:54 pm

I've Been Using Google Earth Since August 2005! Suckers. So I Was The First One To Explore It!  ;) :D
That is clever for it was not made public until December 2005.

Written By: Mel Tinpot on 08/17/07 at 5:54 am

That is clever for it was not made public until December 2005.
I Know Because I'm the One Tried It Out.  ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/17/07 at 6:02 am

I Know Because I'm the One Tried It Out.  ::)
How did you acquired this honoured position?

Written By: Mel Tinpot on 08/17/07 at 9:31 am

Why is it you always call people names?  Suckers, douchebags, etc.  It isn't very nice
Whatever you say, Whistledog, Whatever you say.  :-X

Written By: Mel Tinpot on 08/17/07 at 9:32 am

How did you acquired this honoured position?
WHAT???  ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/17/07 at 9:34 am

WHAT???  ???
I refer to reply #21 of this thread.

Written By: Mel Tinpot on 08/17/07 at 9:46 am

Because I Remember when I first got it on my computer. Gotta Problem with dat?  8)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/17/07 at 9:47 am

Because I Remember when I first got it on my computer. Gotta Problem with dat?  8)
It sounds amazing you where using it in August 2005 and it was not available until December 2005

Written By: Mel Tinpot on 08/17/07 at 9:59 am

It sounds amazing you where using it in August 2005 and it was not available until December 2005
You Probably have the Mac OS Version Then, If it came out in December 2005 like you said.
You See, I have the Windows version, which i've been using since August 2005. Because Google Earth Was Relased on the Windows Version before Mac OS.  8) ;)

Written By: whistledog on 08/17/07 at 1:21 pm

You Probably have the Mac OS Version Then, If it came out in December 2005 like you said.
You See, I have the Windows version, which i've been using since August 2005. Because Google Earth Was Relased on the Windows Version before Mac OS.  8) ;)

Why does it matter though who is/was the first to use it?  It is a program loved by all

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/17/07 at 1:23 pm

I do not have a Mac either!

Written By: whistledog on 08/17/07 at 1:24 pm

I do not have a Mac either!

Have you ever had a Big Mac?  They are tasty :)

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 08/17/07 at 6:01 pm

While we're making up stuff: I was using it as far back as 2003.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/18/07 at 2:59 am

Have you ever had a Big Mac?  They are tasty :)
I depends on the mayonaisse used inside, sometimes the combination is not right.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/18/07 at 4:29 am

Has anyone checked out Google Moon yet?

Written By: Jessica on 08/18/07 at 9:07 am

Has anyone checked out Google Moon yet?

I'm sure Mel Tinpot checked it out before you did. ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/18/07 at 1:10 pm

I'm sure Mel Tinpot checked it out before you did. ;D
Does he know the secret of viewing the moon close in on Google Earth?

Check for new replies or respond here...