inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is this the decade I grew up in?

Written By: Chris S on 01/11/06 at 10:50 pm

I was born in '87 and turned 13 in '00. Would this be the decade I grew up in?

Subject: Re: Is this the decade I grew up in?

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/11/06 at 11:09 pm

'

No, the 90s were. I was born in 88'; I consider myself a "Child of the 90s". This is the decade of my youth though, or "my time". I turned 13 in 2001, and in 2009 I will turn 21. When I think of the "growing up" period I think of 13 and back. Beyond that is your adolescence and young adulthood, which is a different part of your life I think.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/11/06 at 11:29 pm

'

No, the 90s were. I was born in 88'; I consider myself a "Child of the 90s". This is the decade of my youth though, or "my time". I turned 13 in 2001, and in 2009 I will turn 21. When I think of the "growing up" period I think of 13 and back. Beyond that is your adolescence and young adulthood, which is a different part of your life I think.

I'm '90-born, but I still consider myself a '90s person as I have clear memories back to 1994.  1996 onward is pretty lucid.
Plus, there is still enough Nineties-like stuff around today, so that adds further credit.

I'm a '00s person too though.

Written By: bbigd04 on 01/11/06 at 11:36 pm

I was also born in '87, and I would say I grew up in both decades. I remember a lot from the '90s, and grew a lot through that decade, from a 2 1/2 year old to nearly a teenager. I remember a lot of the big news events, technology, a good amount of pop culture, fads, etc. I've grown a lot in this decade as well. Theres no question that I will remember the '00s better, I'm a lot older and more aware this decade than I was back in the '90s, but the '90s bring back a lot of memories, were still a large part of my childhood, and I was influenced a lot by them.

Written By: Chris S on 01/11/06 at 11:55 pm

Yeah I guess you can consider yourself both when you were born late in a decade.

Written By: Roadgeek on 01/12/06 at 8:15 am

Born in 89 and I consider myself a 90's kid.

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 01/12/06 at 1:51 pm

I was born in 1976 and I was a child of the 80's and the best decade to me was the 90's and now I be 30 in 2006 or this year this comming april 22

Written By: JDeeOfV on 01/12/06 at 3:46 pm

i think if you pretty much had all of middle school and high school in this decade, yea, this is the one you grew up in. IMO you can't really count the really early stuff, like before 2nd or 3rd grade. When you think about it, 6 year olds have favorite songs and all, but they don't really care that much about music at that age, but the 10 year olds already think theyre like teenagers lol.

to me the late 80s babies are 00 kids, with some late 90s influnce
the mid 80s babies are 90s kids, with some early 00s influence
and the  early 80s babies pretty much are 90's.

its kinda like calling the class of 1996 80's kids.
you can make a legit case for the class of 91 or 92, but 96? just because youre a big kid, doesnt mean youre not a kid anymore.

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/12/06 at 4:30 pm

You came of age in this decade (more the early 00's), but IMO you're a "90s kid". Sure, you probably remember 1998 more than 1992, but it all was more a part of your honest to God "growing up".

If you were born in '87, then you're 13-22 this decade. That's mainly high school/college age, so don't get me wrong, it's definitely still a part of your young life. Just not quite your childhood.

There's something about the time you go into high school (roughly when you're a freshman) where there's just this huge change in the air. I'd say that's a good cutoff point. Chances are, you've already hit puberty a few years back, but it still feels the most different. Like it hits you you're starting to really grow up. Depending on the person, this is around age 14 or 15.

I was born in late 1981 and I always thought of myself as an 80s kid with some 90's influence.

Now, when I was 14 in 1995 or '96 I could've still said, "Man, 1984 was such a cool year. I have the teeniest memory of that, back when I was three. But I'm still into what's around now too."

By the time I was 16 or 17, I wasn't really thinking that as much anymore. I felt more nostalgic just in one or two years.

Written By: bbigd04 on 01/12/06 at 6:05 pm

You came of age in this decade (more the early 00's), but IMO you're a "90s kid". Sure, you probably remember 1998 more than 1992, but it all was more a part of your honest to God "growing up".

If you were born in '87, then you're 13-22 this decade. That's mainly high school/college age, so don't get me wrong, it's definitely still a part of your young life. Just not quite your childhood.

There's something about the time you go into high school (roughly when you're a freshman) where there's just this huge change in the air. I'd say that's a good cutoff point. Chances are, you've already hit puberty a few years back, but it still feels the most different. Like it hits you you're starting to really grow up. Depending on the person, this is around age 14 or 15.

I was born in late 1981 and I always thought of myself as an 80s kid with some 90's influence.

Now, when I was 14 in 1995 or '96 I could've still said, "Man, 1984 was such a cool year. I have the teeniest memory of that, back when I was three. But I'm still into what's around now too."

By the time I was 16 or 17, I wasn't really thinking that as much anymore. I felt more nostalgic just in one or two years.

Yea I guess I agree with that, but like I said before I would say that I grew up in the '90s and the early '00s. I (and other people born in '87) have much more of a connection to the '90s then the kids born in '92 or so, that would pretty much be absolute '00s kids. But I would say if you born before 1990 or so, the '90s were definitely a real part of your growing up. Of course everybody has their own opinions on this, and it's not worth arguing about.

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/12/06 at 6:13 pm

^Fair enough (I pretty much agree with that). :)

P.S. I'm sure there's kids that think of the 90's as kinda older, but is there really any "anti 90s" sentiment among someone born in, say 1993? Since things haven't changed the way they did in past decades, from what I've observed, there doesn't seem to be (then again I'm not in 6th grade with them everyday, so I could be wrong, LOL).

Written By: bbigd04 on 01/12/06 at 6:31 pm

^Fair enough (I pretty much agree with that). :)

P.S. I'm sure there's kids that think of the 90's as kinda older, but is there really any "anti 90s" sentiment among someone born in, say 1993? Since things haven't changed the way they did in past decades, from what I've observed, there doesn't seem to be (then again I'm not in 6th grade with them everyday, so I could be wrong, LOL).

No I don't notice an anti-90s sentiment really. I have a nephew born in 1992 (my sister is quite a bit older than me), anyway he does remember the late '90s a bit, but he definitely views the '90s as "older" than I do. And my niece born in 1995, says you're old when I mention something from 1998, lol. They like Full House, Fresh Prince, Roseanne and other '90s shows that they show on Nick now.

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/12/06 at 6:40 pm

No I don't notice an anti-90s sentiment really. I have a nephew born in 1992 (my sister is quite a bit older than me), anyway he does remember the late '90s a bit, but he definitely views the '90s as "older" than I do. And my niece born in 1995, says you're old when I mention something from 1998, lol. They like Full House, Fresh Prince, Roseanne and other '90s shows that they show on Nick now.

That's funny, but in a way it makes sense (btw, I love those shows too). :)

I thought of a parallel when you mentioned that. For a few years I've posted tons on a couple BTTF boards (still do sometimes). Anyway, a good deal of the fans are people born around the mid 80's. Now, despite the fact they're really into the movies, and various other things from that era, they have a tendency to view the 80's as kinda "old".

That totally bewildered me at first, but I guess it's the same thing with your niece and nephew being a fan of the 90's, yet at the same time, thinking it's old.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/13/06 at 12:34 pm

That's funny, but in a way it makes sense (btw, I love those shows too). :)

I thought of a parallel when you mentioned that. For a few years I've posted tons on a couple BTTF boards (still do sometimes). Anyway, a good deal of the fans are people born around the mid 80's. Now, despite the fact they're really into the movies, and various other things from that era, they have a tendency to view the 80's as kinda "old".

That totally bewildered me at first, but I guess it's the same thing with your niece and nephew being a fan of the 90's, yet at the same time, thinking it's old.

I think the 90s will go straight from being semi-old/tolerable to classic.  The switch will probably occur circa 2015.

Also, I was born in January 1990, would you say I'm partially a '90s person?  I certainly would, even though I didn't start listening to the radio or anything until 1999.  I can remember the latter half of the '90s quite well (I remember the "Macarena" craze, for instance), and have some authentic '94 memories and some snapshots of 1993 also.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/13/06 at 3:26 pm

The first ten years are the baby comes aware years. These are your growing up years, your are a product of the 00's.

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/14/06 at 12:17 pm

I think the 90s will go straight from being semi-old/tolerable to classic.  The switch will probably occur circa 2015.

Also, I was born in January 1990, would you say I'm partially a '90s person?  I certainly would, even though I didn't start listening to the radio or anything until 1999.  I can remember the latter half of the '90s quite well (I remember the "Macarena" craze, for instance), and have some authentic '94 memories and some snapshots of 1993 also.

For sure.

Biologically = Someone your age is old enough to have at least observed Super Nintendo, and played N64 and the original Playstation. You started elementary school around 1996, so that's more detailed experience of the late 90's especially. Plus, if I was born in September 1981 and attach myself to the 80's, then by default I'd HAVE to say you were part of the 90's. :)

Personally = I've recalled alot of what you've said in the past about the 90's having better TV shows, mainstream music and the like (some of it is hazy now, but I think that for you to feel that way, I could say with accuray that the 90's "imprinted" you during your childhood, much the way the 80's "imprinted" me then). 8)

Written By: Schillingfan on 01/14/06 at 7:25 pm

I was born in 1991, so I'll be 15 in July. I remember when I was still in grade 4! It's hard for me to believe that I can remember 6 years ago (I was grade 4 in 2000)!

Because the years have gone by and I've grown fast, I feel like someone whose had a visit to a time machine and pressed the fast forward button!

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 01/14/06 at 11:54 pm

80s - Decade I came to be
90s - Decade I grew up in
Early 00s - Half decade I came of age in
Late 00s - Now
10s - Decade I retire in

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/15/06 at 4:34 am

I was born in 1969, and I'm still trying to "grow up" in this decade!
:D

Written By: danootaandme on 01/15/06 at 8:03 am

I was born in 1969, and I'm still trying to "grow up" in this decade!
:D

I graduated high school in 1969, we got a lot of traction on that number, hope you have too!  ;D

Written By: Schillingfan on 01/15/06 at 12:48 pm

I'll be graduating in 2009, and maybe I'll find myself doing some work for the 2010 Olympics, but then it depends whether I will have a job during that time or be living outside of Canada

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/15/06 at 1:11 pm

I graduated high school in 1969, we got a lot of traction on that number, hope you have too!   ;D

Unwanted traction, mind you.  "Uh huh huh huh!  He was born in '69!  Heh heh heh!"  I know, I know, can I just have my license back?
::)

Written By: woops on 01/15/06 at 10:45 pm

I was born in mid '80's and consider myself a '90's teen, but wasn't a teenager until 1997 and was into "current" music around the same time, unfortunately the downfall of MTV

Then again, I was sedated or shletered from some pop culture most of the time until 2002 when it was completely done for  ::)  :P

I don't really connect myself with eras since I was never much into current trends, except for a couple tv shows like "South Park"...

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/15/06 at 11:26 pm

I was born in mid '80's and consider myself a '90's teen, but wasn't a teenager until 1997 and was into "current" music around the same time, unfortunately the downfall of MTV

Then again, I was sedated or shletered from some pop culture most of the time until 2002 when it was completely done for  ::)  :P

I don't really connect myself with eras since I was never much into current trends, except for a couple tv shows like "South Park"...

2002 was the death knell for Pop Culture.

Written By: C.NOIZE on 01/15/06 at 11:42 pm

I was born in 1990, but I don't recall much of the 90's.  Although, when I read about something happening in 1995, I still think "Oh, that was only a few years ago," when, in reality, it's been a whole decade.

So, I consider myself a child of the 00's.  My life was pretty secluded until I entered middle school in 2001.  That was when I really started to take notice of what was going on around me, in pop culture, politics, music, etc.  And while I'm not particularly fond of most of what I see and have seen (I am convinced I should have been born about 20 years earlier), it has influenced me much more so than the culture of the 90's.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/15/06 at 11:44 pm

I was born in 1990, but I don't recall much of the 90's.  Although, when I read about something happening in 1995, I still think "Oh, that was only a few years ago," when, in reality, it's been a whole decade.

So, I consider myself a child of the 00's.  My life was pretty secluded until I entered middle school in 2001.  That was when I really started to take notice of what was going on around me, in pop culture, politics, music, etc.  And while I'm not particularly fond of most of what I see and have seen (I am convinced I should have been born about 20 years earlier), it has influenced me much more so than the culture of the 90's.

Truth be told, I don't recall much pop culture from the 1990s (except from 1999 and perhaps some '98), but I can remember 1996 up darn good.

It is weird that 1996 is 10 years ago.

Check for new replies or respond here...