inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anybody else having weird end-of-the-world type weather?

Written By: Tia on 01/12/06 at 2:58 pm

Here in Washington d.c. it's 58 degrees and it's going to be in the low 60s for the next few days.
Usually it's in the thirties for a high this time of year.

WEIRD.

Subject: Re: Anybody else having weird end-of-the-world type weather?

Written By: Tam on 01/12/06 at 3:01 pm

It is weird but we had a La Nina summer so that means we must endure the El Nino winter. ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/12/06 at 3:04 pm

January Thaw.

Cat

Written By: Tia on 01/12/06 at 3:11 pm

does that mean we're gonna have february showers, and march flowers?

Written By: barefootrobin on 01/12/06 at 3:12 pm

We have NO SNOW.  And I have only had to put a winter coat on a handle of time this winter.  Very Weird.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/12/06 at 3:13 pm

Can you say "Global Warming"?

Cat

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/12/06 at 3:22 pm

Same thing here in Texas, guys. Its stayed in the 60s and 70s during the day here the last two and half weeks and gets only down in the 50s, a little bit in the 40s at night(except for one or two exceptions), and there have been about 3 or 4 days where it has gotten up to the 80s during the day.  :o And its supposed to be like this for the next few days still, too. What the heck is going on?

Written By: Tam on 01/12/06 at 3:24 pm

Same thing here in Texas, guys. Its stayed in the 60s and 70s during the day here the last two and half weeks and gets only down in the 50s, a little bit in the 40s at night(except for one or two exceptions), and there have been about 3 or 4 days where it has gotten up to the 80s during the day.  :o And its supposed to be like this for the next few days still, too. What the heck is going on?

Is your county under Fire Weather Warning like mine - or just under watch? :o

Written By: KKay on 01/12/06 at 3:26 pm

It's been crazy. I should be shoveling!  New York is balmy and beautiful 60 dgrees!!

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/12/06 at 3:30 pm

Is your county under Fire Weather Warning like mine - or just under watch? :o

Warning. Which really frightens me because I live in a mobile home, and I am in SMITH county. Which has the reputation for having a LOT of rubes..and it does. I'm afraid of one of these idiots around here causing a wildfire and getting burnt up.

Written By: STAR70 on 01/12/06 at 4:22 pm

here in Los Angeles, it was 85 F downtown for Thanksgiving (the last Thurs in Nov), which meant in the inland vallies it was about 90!

I wore a Hawaiian shirt, shorts and sandles that day.

On X-Mas eve it was 80 downtown, which meant that inland it was 85. Then 1 week later on New Year's Eve we got drenched with a powerful storm that lasted into New Year's Day with flash flood warnings.

Totally whacky weather indeed.

Written By: Tia on 01/12/06 at 4:30 pm

That does it. I'm pickin' up some canned goods, a few firearms, a gas mask and some sandbags on the way home from work tonight.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/12/06 at 5:23 pm

Ditto!  ;D

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 01/12/06 at 7:19 pm

Everything seems normal here. Hot one day, cool the next, warm the next, hot the next, freezing the next... etc.

Written By: whistledog on 01/12/06 at 10:43 pm

The weather here in Ontario is pretty much the norm.  Snow, lots of it, and it will not go away.  LOL

Written By: KKay on 01/13/06 at 9:49 am

here's our forecast for the next few days.

today, warm (58) and foggy, with some sun.
tonight crazy wind and rain
tomorrow, downpour
tomorrow night, freezing temps , rain turns to snow.
sunday- sun

What the????
I"m stocking u p canned goods. this is nuts.

Written By: Tia on 01/13/06 at 10:57 am

we're doomed!

Written By: Tia on 01/13/06 at 10:58 am

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn8569

Global warming boosts fungal epidemic in frogs
18:00 11 January 2006
NewScientist.com news service
Paul Marks
Related Articles
Rise in threatened species is accelerating
17 November 2004
Global frog crisis defies explanation
23 October 2004
Global warming threatens millions of species
07 January 2004
Search New Scientist
Contact us
Web Links
Cloud Forest Lab, Monteverde
Chris Thomas, University of Leeds
Climate Change special report, New Scientist
Endangered Species special report, New Scientist
Nature
Global warming may be fuelling a fungal epidemic which is wiping out amphibian populations, according to a new study. And the finding may mean that current estimates of future species extinctions due to climate change may need to be revised upwards.

A strong correlation between the timing of frog extinctions in the tropical mountains of Central and South America, and elevations in sea surface and air temperatures, was found by Alan Pounds, an ecologist at the Monteverde Cloud Forest Preserve in Costa Rica, and colleagues.

Written By: barefootrobin on 01/13/06 at 11:05 am

Speaking of frogs, when I was a kid we used to go froggin.  I remember all kinds of frogs.  Then I took my kids froggin.  Less amounts of different types of frogs and frogs, but still there were frogs.  Then I took my nephews froggin last summer.  All the frogs were the same.  Brown and boring.  not as many of them either.  The spot where we go is the same as when I was a kid.  So, now I'm kinda sad.   

Written By: Dagwood on 01/13/06 at 9:51 pm

Typical Utah weather on this end.  Snow one day sun the next.  It is supposed to snow Sunday and again Wednesday.  Also, it is cold.  No end of the world type weather here.

Written By: ktelqueen on 01/13/06 at 10:31 pm

way mild here in New Brunswick,Canada..the snow is gone  8)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/13/06 at 10:45 pm

it has been very mild here in Pa.  Today was in the 60's.....for January...that is almost unheard of! :o.....but...I am not complaining! ;)

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 01/13/06 at 10:49 pm

Oh Lord, let's not talk about the end of the world.. *Rocks back and forth in fetal position*

Written By: Tia on 01/14/06 at 6:02 am

Oh Lord, let's not talk about the end of the world.. *Rocks back and forth in fetal position*

i'm totally psyched for the apocalypse. i just hope it rocks as much as in the movies.

Written By: YWN on 01/14/06 at 10:20 am

How about DAMMIT TYPE WEATHER!?

pwned.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 01/14/06 at 10:21 am

Okay, Dude, I drove home from work last night with all of the windows down--it was about 60 degrees.

I wake up this morning and there's like.. an inch of snow. Wtf?

-----------

Cheap, Marsh. Cheap.

Written By: KKay on 01/14/06 at 10:56 am

we were supposed to have torrential downpours.
it's foggy and 60 degrees.
it's january.
it should be 20 degrees and snowy!

Written By: Tia on 01/14/06 at 11:00 am

We're all dying darling.

Did anybody else notice there was a tropical storm zeta this year? Definitely no shortage of tropical storms, yo.

Way I figure, economic destabilization and civil unrest brought about by the looming oil supply crunch will probably beat out climate instability. We'll all be so busy coming at each other in the streets with baseball bats we won't have time to do much driving, and the air'll clear up a bit!

In other words, as whatsherface says in that firefly movie, we won't freeze to death. We'll suffocate first.

Written By: Tia on 01/14/06 at 11:12 am

I kid, of course. Now if our nation's leaders weren't so incorruptible, thoughtful, honest, and ready and willing to acknowledge the seriousness of the problem, I'd be concerned. But as it is I'm sure everything will be fine.

Written By: KKay on 01/14/06 at 11:44 am

We're all dying darling.

Did anybody else notice there was a tropical storm zeta this year? Definitely no shortage of tropical storms, yo.

Way I figure, economic destabilization and civil unrest brought about by the looming oil supply crunch will probably beat out climate instability. We'll all be so busy coming at each other in the streets with baseball bats we won't have time to do much driving, and the air'll clear up a bit!

In other words, as whatsherface says in that firefly movie, we won't freeze to death. We'll suffocate first.

I told my husband about what was said on this thread...he wants to live on our boat now.
but if the movies teach us anything, it's that zombies can get you even on a boat!

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 01/14/06 at 11:45 am

We're all dying darling.

..Some of us just get put at the front of the line

Written By: Dagwood on 01/14/06 at 2:47 pm

**sings**

It's the end of the world and we know it
And I feel fine

Written By: Tia on 01/14/06 at 2:48 pm

..Some of us just get put at the front of the line

troodat. it helps to have a six-figure salary, apparently.

not that i would know.

Written By: Dagwood on 01/14/06 at 2:50 pm

I have a seven figure salary....if you count the two after the decimal point. ;D

Written By: Tia on 01/14/06 at 2:53 pm

lol.

you and i will be among the first against the wall, then.

Written By: Tia on 01/14/06 at 3:32 pm

but i'm sure everything's fine.

http://www.weather.com/newscenter/tropical/stormdetails.html?par=DW_weather

The amazing 2005 Atlantic hurricane season has shattered many long-standing records, chief among them a record number of named storms, twenty-seven, which has obliterated the previous record of twenty-one in 1933. There also have been 14 hurricanes so far this season breaking the old record of 12 set in 1969. Another record set was for the most category-five hurricanes, three, with Katrina, Rita and Wilma. Wilma became the strongest hurricane on record in the Atlantic Basin with a pressure of 882 mb breaking the old record set by Gilbert (888 mb) in 1988. Katrina likely will be the costliest U.S. hurricane on record. Also, the final seasonal tally for damage will be the greatest in U.S. history, breaking the previous record set just last year. The landfall of four major hurricanes in the U.S. also set a record.

Written By: Red Ant on 01/14/06 at 11:06 pm

Here in VA we are. Two days ago it was beautiful, last night it was massive thunder and lightning. Today it rained.  Right now it is snowing with wind gusts occasionally topping 60mph.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/14/06 at 11:32 pm

yes...it was snowing today here too...and yesterday was in the mid 60s...next week is supposed to get warm again. :o

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/15/06 at 4:19 am

The weather inside my head worries me more than the weather outside!
:D

OK--we had our January thaw.  It was foggy and rainy all day, here in western Massachusetts.  Late night, I could hear the winds pick up. Then the power blacked out for a few seconds.  I thought it was just rain and wind.  Then I went downstairs and looked out, and there's fresh snow blowing and accumulating.  Good sign.  How much snow will arrive I'm not sure, but I'm glad to see that snow.
And the cats got stuck outside in it.  Ha ha cats!  They were glad to come in.  They'll hassle me to go out again before long, because that's the way of cats!
::)

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 01/15/06 at 4:33 am

And the cats got stuck outside in it.  Ha ha cats!  They were glad to come in.  They'll hassle me to go out again before long, because that's the way of cats!
Cats are a chick thing!  ::)

Temperatures have been 1-2 degrees warmer than normal this time of year according to MetService (the major weather station) which maybe a huge difference to them, but to me that's nothing.  ???

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/15/06 at 4:35 am

Cats are a chick thing!  ::)

All the cats and chicks can get their kicks at The Hop!
--Danny & The Juniors

Written By: Tia on 01/15/06 at 6:23 am

Here in VA we are. Two days ago it was beautiful, last night it was massive thunder and lightning. Today it rained.  Right now it is snowing with wind gusts occasionally topping 60mph.

hey! i live in VA! where you at? i'm in falls church. yup, i totally had to drive home from work in the snowy 80-mph-end-of-the-worldness.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/15/06 at 1:09 pm

Good thing it's Sunday.  I still haven't gone out and dealt with my car doors.  They're frozen shut!  The wind blew all the rain into every possible crack, and then the precipitous temperature drop froze 'em all solid!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/15/06 at 1:19 pm

That wind was really ripping last night. The snow was coming down sideways.  :o

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/15/06 at 4:57 pm

I had to get an extension cord and use a blowdryer to melt the ice enough get the damm car door open!

Written By: STAR70 on 01/15/06 at 5:12 pm

we've had an unusually warm week  (even by Los Angeles standards) and yesterday we got pounded by an unusually harsh storm. yikes!!!

it was raining cats and dogs

cats are a chick thing

Written By: Dagwood on 01/15/06 at 5:29 pm

We got snow here today, too.  In the past 4 hours I would say we have a couple of inches and it is still snowing.  I really need to go shovel so it isn't so bad in the morning.

Written By: STAR70 on 02/16/06 at 4:28 pm

Last week NYC's Central Park broke a 59 year old record with 24 1/2 inches of snow in one blizzrad.

Monday in Los Angeles, it was about 90 degrees, and today it's 60 !!!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 02/16/06 at 8:05 pm

Today it was 66 degrees Fahrenheit here in Absecon...Tomorrow it's back to the rain and cold....we had snow last weekend.

I wonder what Pat Robertson would say about this crazy, yo-yo weather?

Written By: KKay on 02/17/06 at 8:00 am

Not far from Absecon is Staten Island- similar weather...2 feet of snow in my yard and today the predicted high is 66 degrees.
Then Sunday the high will be 11. ???

Written By: Tia on 02/17/06 at 8:03 am

huge snowstorm over the weekend. then it got up into the 60s and all the snow melted in one day, 50s today, then back down to the 20s tonight.

it's like a drunk behind the wheel, swerving back and forth across the road.

Written By: Tia on 02/17/06 at 8:21 am

oh, and there's a wind advisory. on the radio they just told us to tie down everything loose in our yards.

i officially predict that in ten years we'll all have to live underground like moles.

Written By: KKay on 02/17/06 at 8:35 am

oh, and there's a wind advisory. on the radio they just told us to tie down everything loose in our yards.

i officially predict that in ten years we'll all have to live underground like moles.

Good. I won't have to sound-proof.
We have craaazy wind today; rainy and I can't wait to go out at lunchtime and check out the spring-like temps!

Check for new replies or respond here...