inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Coldplay are a U2 ripoff

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/13/06 at 2:44 pm

An okay band, but they are so U2-like.

When I see their lead singer sing, I want to sock him in the face  ;D

Subject: Re: Coldplay are a U2 ripoff

Written By: Carl on 01/13/06 at 3:19 pm

I think they recently played somewhere in New York, are they the U2 cover band? Unless, I'm thinking of the wrong group.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/13/06 at 3:22 pm

Very much like Aerosmith and the Stones

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 01/13/06 at 4:35 pm

The lead singer might make some people want to smack him in the face, but I think the band are tolerable. Every band today is inspired by older ones, so yeah, maybe they do have U2 similarities.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/13/06 at 5:45 pm

The lead singer might make some people want to smack him in the face, but I think the band are tolerable. Every band today is inspired by older ones, so yeah, maybe they do have U2 similarities.

I was just kidding there.  ;)

Every band ever is influenced by older bands.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/13/06 at 6:29 pm

Rock music died twenty years ago.  Nobody noticed.  Rock 'n' Roll is the most over rated music in the history of mankind.  I hate to be iconoclastic, but then again, I enjoy it very much.  Forty years ago, rock 'n' roll was iconoclastic and anti-establishment.  Today it is a world of icons and unquestionable authority on popular culture.  Bono and David Bowie are today what Frank Sinatra and Bing Crosby were fifty years ago!
:P

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/13/06 at 7:40 pm

Rock music died twenty years ago.  Nobody noticed.  Rock 'n' Roll is the most over rated music in the history of mankind.  I hate to be iconoclastic, but then again, I enjoy it very much.  Forty years ago, rock 'n' roll was iconoclastic and anti-establishment.  Today it is a world of icons and unquestionable authority on popular culture.  Bono and David Bowie are today what Frank Sinatra and Bing Crosby were fifty years ago!
:P

Rock Music

R.I.P.  1954-1994

Today only Rock's ghost lives in the shadow of Rap.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 01/14/06 at 11:46 am

An okay band, but they are so U2-like.

When I see their lead singer sing, I want to sock him in the face  ;D

HAHAHA!!  Yeah chris martin has that effect

I always think his voice is like that of American comedian Emo Phillips.

Written By: Red Ant on 01/14/06 at 1:25 pm

Rock music died twenty years ago.  Nobody noticed. 

20 years ago? Take a look at what was on top in 1986:

http://www.rockonthenet.com/archive/1986/top100.htm

For the most part, yuk!

I think 10 years ago was the final nail in the coffin for rock. Almost all of the alternative bands were either dead (literally-Nirvana, Sublime, etc or practically-Van Halen, Guns N' Roses, etc.), on their last good CD (Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, etc.) or making very lackluster music (Metallica Reload, etc.). Creed killed rock.  ;D

Coldplay is not a U2 rip-off. They're a Sting/Radiohead rip-off.  Well, maybe not but the similarities are there.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 01/14/06 at 5:10 pm

Crikey I think Sting (Gordon Sumner) would be devastated to hear that you think his brilliantly unusual voice is similar to that of the depressing c.martin's.
They're - (coldplay)  nothing like The Police/Sting...dunno about Radiohead tho'?

And the comparison to U2 - HAHAHA!!

Check for new replies or respond here...