inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Shelly Winters has died

Written By: Dagwood on 01/14/06 at 5:58 pm

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2006-01-14-winters-obit_x.htm?csp=27

Academy Award winning actress Shelley Winters dies
By Anthony Breznican, USA TODAY
Though she started her long Hollywood career as a sexpot, Shelley Winters made her biggest mark playing loudmouthed women whose brashness masked desperate heartache.

The actress died Saturday of heart failture at age 85. She leaves behind more than 110 film and television roles, including A Place in the Sun (1951), Stanley Kubrick's Lolita (1962) and The Poseidon Adventure (1972).

She had four Oscar nominations and two wins for her supporting turns as the pushy Mrs. Van Daan, hiding from the Nazis, in 1959's The Diary of Anne Frank, and the disapproving mother of a blind woman and her black companion in 1965's A Patch of Blue.

Winters was married three times, none of them lasting more than three years. She was married to Paul Meyer from 1943 to 1946, Italian actor Vittorio Gassman (with whom she had a daughter) from 1952 to 1954, and actor Anthony Franciosa from 1957 to 1960.

Born Shirley Schrift in St. Louis, she moved to New York and took up stage acting before starting work in Los Angeles, where she was a roommate and friend of Marilyn Monroe when they were both starting out.

Winters appeared in several films as a bit player, often uncredited, before her breakthrough in 1947's A Double Life, co-starring with Ronald Coleman as the victim of an actor who confuses reality with fantasy.

Though her beauty was not as delicate as other leading ladies' of the day, Winters played brassy bombshells in such movies as 1950's Frenchie, 1951's Behave Yourself and 1954's Playgirl.

Winters excelled at playing flighty, needy, lonely women

Subject: Re: Shelly Winters has died

Written By: nally on 01/14/06 at 5:59 pm

She lived a good long 85 years. RIP Shelly. :\'( ;)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/14/06 at 6:00 pm

RIP, Great-Grandma Mary (her character in Roseanne!)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/14/06 at 6:04 pm

RIP, Great-Grandma Mary (her character in Roseanne!)

awww...I didn't realize that was her that played that character....she was funny. :\'(

Written By: Lorelei Lee on 01/14/06 at 7:31 pm

She was such a good actress.
A Place in the Sun is one of my favorite movies. 
:\'( RIP Shelly! They don't make 'em like her anymore.

Written By: Dukefan on 01/14/06 at 8:22 pm

Very sad.  She was a great actress.  I remember her from the Posiedon Adventure when I was little.  :\'(

Written By: danootaandme on 01/15/06 at 8:06 am

I loved Shelley Winters, I would say the role she played in Alfie(the first and best one) was more
like the real life Shelley.  She was a the real thing and I will miss her.  :\'(

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 01/15/06 at 8:28 am

Though she started her long Hollywood career as a sexpot, Shelley Winters made her biggest mark playing loudmouthed women whose brashness masked desperate heartache.
I saw her just the other day in one of the weirdest B-movies I've ever seen, "Wild In The Streets" (1968). Her character (an overbearing mother), although being quite over-the-top, more than fit the above description.
She had four Oscar nominations and two wins for her supporting turns as the pushy Mrs. Van Daan, hiding from the Nazis, in 1959's The Diary of Anne Frank, and the disapproving mother of a blind woman and her black companion in 1965's A Patch of Blue.
I don't think she was going for an Oscar nomination for her role in "Wild In The Streets."  ;D

She's one of those actresses that has been in so many movies that it's easy to forget how great she was.  R.I.P, Shelly.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/15/06 at 1:17 pm

She has done so many things. She will be missed.

I think I heard something that she really wanted to the part of Scarlet O'Hara in Gone With the Wind and tried her best to get the part.  :-\\

R.I.P. Shelley (AKA Shirley).  :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...