inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: More fake/stupid news... about a gamer's suicide

Written By: Chrisrj on 01/20/06 at 3:51 pm

http://news.gaminghorizon.com/media2/1137635340.3198.html

As a gamer, I am deeply apalled.  To me, this just further continues the stereotype that video gamers are not good people.

I'm expecting to hear that "video games kill people" nonsense again, but in the report it said: 
On January 2 he posted a message in both forums detailing his intent to end his own life, citing overwhelming complications with school and finances.

If you ask me, schooling and finances are to blame, not games.  Make them easier, why don'cha?

Not that he should've commited suicide, I'm just sick of accusations... and I know it doesn't list any on there specifically, but I know people too well by now.

Another example of corrupted media.

Subject: Re: More fake/stupid news... about a gamer's suicide

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/20/06 at 4:55 pm

::)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/20/06 at 5:56 pm

http://news.gaminghorizon.com/media2/1137635340.3198.html

As a gamer, I am deeply apalled.  To me, this just further continues the stereotype that video gamers are not good people.

I'm expecting to hear that "video games kill people" nonsense again, but in the report it said: 
If you ask me, schooling and finances are to blame, not games.  Make them easier, why don'cha?

Not that he should've commited suicide, I'm just sick of accusations... and I know it doesn't list any on there specifically, but I know people too well by now.

I've been playing video games since 1981...that's so stupid to say video games make people homicidal or suicidal! People love to bash things they think 'corrupt young people's minds'..what's next, wives of elected officials starting some kind of PMRC/ Washington Wives hearings in the Senate?

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 01/20/06 at 6:43 pm

I read the article, and I don't blame you one bit for being angry about it. I could add more but the above quote sums it up best.

Written By: Mushroom on 01/20/06 at 7:33 pm

This is nothing new to me.  I remember the screams when a university student dissapeared in the early 1980's.  A lot of people suspected that his playing D&D was a cause, and that he was killed in a game played in the tunnels under the college.  Of course, it all turned out to be false, he really ran away with his boyfriend.  But that fact did not keep it from being turned into a novel and movie (Mazes And Monsters, staring a young Tom Hanks), in addition to several plots for different TV series.

And let's not forget the claims of similar events being laid to rock music, punk, rap, and even movies and tv shows.

To me, it is nothing but "The Twinkee Defense".  People are not responsible for their own actions, so something else has to be blamed.

To me, if somebody commits a crime or suicide, there was probably something wrong with them in the first place.  I have played video games since the mid 1970's.  I have played D&D (and other role playing games) since the early 1980's.  And I have never felt the urge to crawl around in a cave with a sword, nor to pick up a MAC-10 and blow away people walking down the street.

In fact, one of my favorite games is Grand Theft Auto.  I will often spend hours driving around the town, listening to the radio stations.

Of course, I also ask where the parents are when somebody does something like this.  My parents knew I played D&D, and they both understood what the game was, and the way I played it.  But I guess asking about the parents in a case like this is "wrong".

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/22/06 at 1:06 am

Games don't kill people, people kill themselves.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/22/06 at 2:02 pm

My foster mother actually thought rock music made teenagers mentally unstable...and that listening to music on a Walkman triggered seizures..just because one of her friends told her she THOUGHT her son's Walkman use 'triggered' seizures...which is a load of hogwash...

Come on, I watched 'Miami Vice'..did that make me a druggie? NO!

This is just as much a joke as the supposed Internet Addiction Disorder....http://psychcentral.com/netaddiction/

Check for new replies or respond here...