inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What were you listening to in 2000/01?

Written By: bbigd04 on 01/21/06 at 1:42 am

Some on my list are quite funny, but I was 13/14 so what do you expect. Now I listen to more alternative stuff than I used to, though I'm still addicted to pop radio, lol.

Survivor- Destiny's Child
Let Me Blow Ya Mind- Eve
Turn off the Light- Nelly Furtado
Love Don't Cost a Thing- Jennifer Lopez
Play- Jennifer Lopez
Family Affair- Mary J. Blige
Around the World- ATC
The Real Slim Shady- Eminem
It Wasn't Me- Shaggy
Angel- Shaggy
Follow Me- Uncle Kracker
Crazy for this Girl- Evan & Jaron
No More- 3LW
Amazed- Lonestar
Kryptonite- 3 Doors Down
Absolutely (Story of a Girl)- Nine Days
Bye Bye Bye -NSYNC  :D
All The Small Things- Blink 182
Never Let You Go- Third Eye Blind
Independent Woman Pt. 1- Destiny's Child  ;D
Doesn't Really Matter- Janet Jackson
Lady Marmalade- Christina Aguilera
I Try- Macy Gray
Say My Name- Destiny's Child

Subject: Re: What were you listening to in 2000/01?

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/21/06 at 1:46 am

^ Hey, I like "Follow Me", "Kryptonite" and "Never Let You Go", so don't worry, it ain't that funny. ;)

Then again, I guess those songs are kinda more late 90-ish holdovers. They'd all sound a little dated today, even Uncle Kracker.

Well, I listened to alot of heavy metal in mid 1999-2000. In 2001, I still liked it, though I was kinda coming off the constant playing. I also started getting into country/pop a little bit, and rediscovered alot of classic 60s/70s rock.

As for new stuff actually coming out then, I was into Green Day's Warning album, Offspring's Conspiracy of One, along with songs like the Corrs' "Breathless" (very 80s-esque pop!).

P.S. There's a few things that it would be irrelavant to list, just 'cause I've ALWAYS listened to it (80's arena rock, and synthpop, for instance).

Written By: bbigd04 on 01/21/06 at 1:49 am

^ Hey, I like "Follow Me", "Kryptonite" and "Never Let You Go", so it ain't that funny. ;)

Then again, I guess those songs are kinda more late 90-ish holdovers. They'd all sound a little dated today, even Uncle Kracker.

Yea, I know it so weird. All these songs I liked then now seem dated. "Never Let You Go" is so late '90s sounding, I still think that song is really cool.

Written By: bbigd04 on 01/21/06 at 1:53 am

^ Hey, I like "Follow Me", "Kryptonite" and "Never Let You Go", so don't worry, it ain't that funny. ;)

Well, I listened to alot of heavy metal in mid 1999-2000. In 2001, I still liked it, though I was kinda coming off the constant playing. I also started getting into country/pop a little bit, and rediscovered alot of classic 60s/70s rock.

As for new stuff actually coming out then, I was into Green Day's Warning album, Offspring's Conspiracy of One, along with songs like the Corrs' "Breathless" (very 80s-esque pop!).

I liked Breathless as well. The Way You Love Me by Faith Hill was another song I liked, even though I usually don't like country.

Written By: nally on 01/21/06 at 1:55 am

Hmmm...that's a pretty good list. I like some of those in your list. "Turn Off The Light" is probably the one I like best. 8)

Some of my personal faves:

"Simple Kind Of Life" No Doubt
"Bathwater" No Doubt
"I Need You" LeAnn Rimes 8)
"Cruisin" Huey Lewis w/ Gwyneth paltrow (2000, even though I didn't hear it for the first time until '03)
"Don't Tell Me" Madonna
"Drive" Incubus
"I'm Like A Bird" Nelly Furtado
"Fallin'" Alicia Keys
"Yellow" Coldplay (early '01 in the U.S.)
"Trouble" Coldplay (late '01 in the U.S.)

I'll probably add to this list.

I wonder if the Ellipsis guest will let us know if we mention a song that wasn't a hit during this era.

Written By: whistledog on 01/21/06 at 1:56 am

In 2000/01, here's a few of the songs I was listening to ...

Dance / Rock

Who the Hell Are You - Madison Avenue
Groovejet (If This Ain't Love) - Spiller featuring Sophie Ellis Bextor
Don't Call Me Baby - Madison Avenue
Sandstorm - Darude
Farewell to the Moon - York
Ordinary World - Aurora featuring Naimee Coleman
I Need Your Lovin' (Like the Sunshine) - Marc et Claude
Tell Me Why (The Riddle) - Paul Van Dyk featuring Saint Etienne
Played-A-Live (the Bongo Song) - Safri Duo
Dream to Me - Dario G
Everytime You Need Me - Fragma featuring Maria Rubia
Blood is Pumpin' - Voodoo and Serano
Feel the Beat - Darude
Where's Your Head At - Basement Jaxx
Romeo - Basement Jaxx
Jus 1 Kiss - Basement Jaxx
Superstylin' - Groove Armada
Another Chance - Roger Sanchez
Shake Ya Body - N-Trance
Freedom - Erasure
Can't Get You Out of My Head - Kylie Minogue
Shalala Lala  - Vengaboys
Uncle John From Jamaica - Vengaboys

Inner Smile - Texas
So Why So Sad - Manic Street Preachers
Rock DJ - Robbie Williams
Ocean Spray - Manic Street Preachers
Up on the Down Side - Ocean Colour Scene
Juxtapozed With You - Super Furry Animals
(Drawing) Rings Around the World - Super Furry Animals
Bohemian Like You - Dandy Warhols
Shining Light - Ash
Burn Baby Burn - Ash

Written By: nally on 01/21/06 at 1:57 am

Yea, I know it so weird. All these songs I liked then now seem dated. "Never Let You Go" is so late '90s sounding, I still think that song is really cool.

Probably because it was recorded in '99 but didn't become a hit until early '00.

I liked Breathless as well. The Way You Love Me by Faith Hill was another song I liked, even though I usually don't like country.

I don't much care for country either but I like LeAnn Rimes' music (mostly cause it sounds more like pop), and Lee Ann Womack's 2000 hit "I Hope You Dance" was a big pop hit as well.

As for "Breathless" by the Corrs, I'm quite fond of that one too. 8)

Written By: bbigd04 on 01/21/06 at 1:57 am

Hmmm...that's a pretty good list. I like some of those in your list. "Turn Off The Light" is probably the one I like best. 8)

Some of my personal faves:

"Simple Kind Of Life" No Doubt
"Bathwater" No Doubt
"I Need You" LeAnn Rimes 8)
"Cruisin" Huey Lewis w/ Gwyneth paltrow (2000, even though I didn't hear it for the first time until '03)
"Don't Tell Me" Madonna
"Drive" Incubus
"Fallin'" Alicia Keys
"Yellow" Coldplay (early '01 in the U.S.)
"Trouble" Coldplay (late '01 in the U.S.)

I'll probably add to this list.

I wonder if the Ellipsis guest will let us know if we mention a song that wasn't a hit during this era.

These ones you named were also favorites of mine. Yea, Turn off the light is still one of my favorites.  :)

"Fallin'" Alicia Keys
"I Need You" LeAnn Rimes

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 01/21/06 at 1:58 am

Me? I was very much into the post-grunge/modern rock/nu-metal craze back then.  8) :-[ (Well, it was better than what everyone else in my class was listening to!)

A typical playlist would've consisted of: 3 Doors Down, Green Day, Coldplay, Fuel, Nickelback, Everclear, Foo Fighters, Ash, Incubus and various others.

Of course now, I listen to more alternative and older songs, and very rarely listen to the radio.

Written By: bbigd04 on 01/21/06 at 1:58 am

Probably because it was recorded in '99 but didn't become a hit until early '00.
I don't much care for country either but I like LeAnn Rimes' music (mostly cause it sounds more like pop), and Lee Ann Womack's 2000 hit "I Hope You Dance" was a big pop hit as well.

I like LeAnn Rime's "Can't Fight The Moonlight".

Written By: whistledog on 01/21/06 at 1:59 am

I forgot about the Corrs.  I really liked their 2000 hits "Irresistible" and "Breathless"  8)

Written By: nally on 01/21/06 at 2:01 am

I forgot about the Corrs.  I really liked their 2000 hits "Irresistible" and "Breathless"  8)

I don't know "Irresistible" but "Breathless" was a big hit in the U.S. in early '01.
Yeah, TOTL has a nice-sounding combination of instruments imo.

Written By: whistledog on 01/21/06 at 2:05 am

I don't know "Irresistible" but "Breathless" was a big hit in the U.S. in early '01.
Yeah, TOTL has a nice-sounding combination of instruments imo. ^-^

Irresistible sadly didn't break the US charts  :\'(

The Corrs have had 21 hits from 1996-2005.  They so far have only had 3 US hits (two of which were top 40's), the biggest of which was "Runaway" in 1996  :)

Written By: nally on 01/21/06 at 2:07 am

Irresistible sadly didn't break the US charts  :\'(

The Corrs have had 21 hits from 1996-2005.  They so far have only had 3 US hits (two of which were top 40's), the biggest of which was "Runaway" in 1996  :)

Yeah, I think I remember "Runaway" from late 1995 in the US. A minor hit there, but still a decent song :)

Written By: gmann on 01/21/06 at 12:29 pm

I've always listened to a lot of old stuff (60s/70s classic rock/garage, new wave), so most of what I was listening to in 2000/2001 doesn't qualify for this thread. That having been said, I can add the following albums:

Radiohead --Kid A and Amnesiac
The Strokes --Is This It?
White Stripes --White Blood Cells
Coldplay --Parachutes
REM --Reveal
U2 --All that You Can't Leave Behind
Filter --Title of Record (probably a late '99 release, but I don't have it handy to check...)
...and some Fatboy Slim on the side

Can you tell I'm not much of a pop music fan? :)  However, my disdain for most of the Top 40 has mellowed in recent years.

Written By: whistledog on 01/21/06 at 1:41 pm

I don't think "Runaway" was top 40 in the US, and I don't think any of their songs hit the Hot 100 besides that one and "Breathless" ... although I really liked "Summer Sunshine" when that was getting airplay. Correct me if I'm wrong, though.

According to some chart facts I found, Runaway reached #2 in America in February of 1996.  It could me a misprint though

http://republika.pl/uktop40/art%20na%20top%2040/art-c-corrs.html

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/21/06 at 7:15 pm

Besides boybands and rap-metal, what is late '90s sounding to you?  It's kind of hard for me to differentiate, since it's sort of like today's music (although somewhat different).  I'd say 2002 on is '00s music, when Crunk and emo came along. Numetal is more of a '90s holdover.

Written By: nally on 01/21/06 at 7:53 pm

According to some chart facts I found, Runaway reached #2 in America in February of 1996.  It could me a misprint though

http://republika.pl/uktop40/art%20na%20top%2040/art-c-corrs.html

On which chart though? ???

Written By: bbigd04 on 01/22/06 at 1:08 am

Besides boybands and rap-metal, what is late '90s sounding to you?  It's kind of hard for me to differentiate, since it's sort of like today's music (although somewhat different).  I'd say 2002 on is '00s music, when Crunk and emo came along. Numetal is more of a '90s holdover.

I don't know I just can usually tell that late '90s feel right away. Songs like "Save Tonight"- Eagle Eye Cherry and "One Week"- Barenaked Ladies, also Someday- Sugar Ray all sound very late '90s.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/22/06 at 1:21 am

I don't know I just can usually tell that late '90s feel right away. Songs like "Save Tonight"- Eagle Eye Cherry and "One Week"- Barenaked Ladies, also Someday- Sugar Ray all sound very late '90s.

Yeah, "One Week" is incredibly '90s.  You know, there's a lot of music in the late '90s that's not around anymore.  It just seems the same because about half of it is common to now, and that people still sort of act like it's still around even though it's not.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/22/06 at 8:37 pm

P.O.D., their "Fundamental Elements of Southtown" CD.

Santana's newer stuff, especially "Smooth"(with Rob Thomas) and "America"(with Sonny Sandoval of P.O.D.)

Sting's "Desert Rose"(with Cheb Mani)

and a 90's holdover: Shakira's "Laundry Service" CD

Written By: nally on 01/22/06 at 10:37 pm

That's 'cause those three songs came out in 1998 and 1999. ;)

Written By: whistledog on 01/22/06 at 10:39 pm

On which chart though? ???

Billboard Hot 100 I believe :)

Written By: bbigd04 on 01/22/06 at 10:42 pm

That's 'cause those three songs came out in 1998 and 1999. ;)

Of course, lol.  :) I'm saying that there's that distinct late '90s feel to songs like that to point out that music does in fact sound different now compared to 1998 or 99.

Written By: nally on 01/22/06 at 10:43 pm

Billboard Hot 100 I believe :)

Uhm... nope. :-\\ Maybe the BB Adult Contemporary chart, because it wasn't on the default Pop Singles chart.

Written By: whistledog on 01/22/06 at 10:45 pm

Uhm... nope. :-\\ Maybe the BB Adult Contemporary chart, because it wasn't on the default Pop Singles chart.

It must have been the A/C chart.  According to my actual Chart listings, it didn't appear on the Billboard Pop 100 at all  :(

Written By: nally on 01/22/06 at 11:06 pm

It must have been the A/C chart.  According to my actual Chart listings, it didn't appear on the Billboard Pop 100 at all  :(

Didn't think so. :-\\ I happen to have the most recent edition of the Billboard Top 40 book, which runs through the end of 2003, and the only Corrs single it lists is "Breathless". A lot of the good songs I've known over the years haven't hit the BB Hot 100. I bet some of them have hit big on the other Billboard charts, such as the A/C, R&B, and Modern Rock charts.

Written By: ADH13 on 01/22/06 at 11:52 pm

By 2000, I had long given up on current music, and had gone back to the old stuff...

Out of the few exceptions, the only songs I liked that came out anywhere close to 2000 were

Fly Away - Lenny Kravitz
You Oughta Know - Alanis Morrissette

and from a little earlier, "The World I Know" by Collective Soul and "Don't Speak" by No Doubt.

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 01/23/06 at 8:24 am

Didn't think so. :-\\ I happen to have the most recent edition of the Billboard Top 40 book, which runs through the end of 2003, and the only Corrs single it lists is "Breathless". A lot of the good songs I've known over the years haven't hit the BB Hot 100. I bet some of them have hit big on the other Billboard charts, such as the A/C, R&B, and Modern Rock charts.

"Runaway" wasn't Top 40, but it did make the Hot 100 and peak at #68. Those are the only two to do so to date.

Written By: nally on 01/23/06 at 7:18 pm

"Runaway" wasn't Top 40, but it did make the Hot 100 and peak at #68. Those are the only two to do so to date.

I (sorta) knew that.

Written By: Stompgal on 01/29/06 at 10:16 am

Steps - Buzz and Gold
The Now compilation CDs
The Top of the Pops Compilation CDs
Hear'Say - Pure and Simple
Blink 182 - All The Small Things
Tom Jones and Stereophonics - Mama Told Me Not To Come
Sugababes - Overload
Atomic Kitten - Whole Again, Eternal Flame
Destiny's Child - Independent Women, Survivor, Bootylicious

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/29/06 at 7:35 pm

By 2000, I had long given up on current music, and had gone back to the old stuff...

Out of the few exceptions, the only songs I liked that came out anywhere close to 2000 were

Fly Away - Lenny Kravitz
You Oughta Know - Alanis Morrissette

and from a little earlier, "The World I Know" by Collective Soul and "Don't Speak" by No Doubt.

Yeah, I was on the fence that year too. I think 1998-2000 was about the time I started getting very retro minded about music (well, okay there's a part of me that was always stuck in 1987). Maybe because I was in the second half of high school, and graduating in '00?

Anyway, "The World I Know" is one of my favorite "90s" 90's songs. I like "Don't Speak" too (I think they're 1995, and '97 respectfully).

"Fly Away" is my fave semi recent one from Lenny Kravitz.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/29/06 at 7:50 pm

P.O.D., their "Fundamental Elements of Southtown" CD.

Santana's newer stuff, especially "Smooth"(with Rob Thomas) and "America"(with Sonny Sandoval of P.O.D.)

Sting's "Desert Rose"(with Cheb Mani)

Add to that Rage Against The Machine(yeah they're 90's) before Zack De La Rocha jumped ship...

Written By: woops on 01/30/06 at 2:49 am

Green Day, U2, Vanessa Carlton, Blink 182, and several songs like Nine Day's "Abosultely (Story of a Girl)"

Also Deborah Gibson's "MYOB" album

Written By: nally on 02/06/06 at 4:21 pm

Green Day, U2, Vanessa Carlton, Blink 182, and several songs like Nine Day's "Abosultely (Story of a Girl)"

Also Deborah Gibson's "MYOB" album

Vanessa Carlton didn't come out till 2002. (Sorry if I sound like the Ellipsis guest here.)

U2 had a few hits during 2000-01 as well, such as "Beautiful Day", "Elevation", "Walk On" and "Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of".

Written By: mr critic on 02/07/06 at 11:33 am

NOT! How could you say that, huh? >:(

Written By: ... on 02/09/06 at 4:19 pm

Vanessa Carlton didn't come out till 2002. (Sorry if I sound like the Ellipsis guest here.)

U2 had a few hits during 2000-01 as well, such as "Beautiful Day", "Elevation", "Walk On" and "Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of".

Yeah, she released her debut cd, "Be Not Nobody", in April 2002.

About U2, yeah, those are good songs.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 02/09/06 at 5:40 pm

Backstreet Boys (regrettably), N'Sync, Britney Spears, Faith Hill - BUT, mainly I liked listening to 70's pop/rock at this time.

Some songs I liked that year were:

Ms. Jackson - Oukast
It Feels So Good - Sonique
Rhythm Divine - Enrique Iglesias
What A Girl Wants - Christina Aguilara
Try Again - Aaliyah
Say My Name - Destiny's Child
My Love is Your Love - Whitney Houston
Madonna's Music Album was great!

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/10/06 at 1:26 pm

Early 2000's was all about rap for me  :-[

Written By: AU300ModR on 02/13/06 at 3:37 pm

Early 2000's was all about rap for me  :-[

unfortunately i have to admit that i too listened to that "rap" crap as well, but finally came to my senses and picked up Rock again.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/13/06 at 3:47 pm

Heavy metal, Madonna, including death metal. This is VERY, VERY surprising to me now. Especially since I turned out to be gay...ha!

Written By: rich1981 on 02/13/06 at 10:19 pm

NOW CD compilations (3 & 4)
Totally Hits 2
Jammin Z90 and 91X on the radio
Supernatural - Santana
Enema of the State - Blink 182

Actually at that time I was starting to get into music...

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/13/06 at 11:58 pm

Hanging by a moment-Lifehouse in late 2000/early 2001

Check for new replies or respond here...