inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Coolest. Show. Ever.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 01/22/06 at 9:59 am

About two weeks ago I began watching what I have since concluded is the coolest program ever to air on American television. This, of course, is the 2006 Barrett-Jackson Auction on the Speed Channel. This is an auction that is taking place in Scottsdale, Arizona, where vintage automobiles are put up for sale. Currently, rare 1960's American muscle cars are fetching the highest prices, with original, numbers-matching Hemi-powered Chrysler products easily going for upwards of $200,000. If you have even a passing interest in old cars, this show is a must see, and the announcers are experts on the most intricate details of these cars, and I've learned quite a bit from watching this show.
  Now, I know some of you will say, "But Al, what about (insert show here)?  Isn't THAT the coolest show that was ever on TV?"

I don't care. This show is cooler.

Subject: Re: Coolest. Show. Ever.

Written By: Tia on 01/22/06 at 10:13 am

mystery science theater 3000  was the coolest show ever.

sorry, i did exactly what you predicted i'd do.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/22/06 at 11:00 am

An auction with cars?  ::)  Sounds...... interesting......

Written By: Tia on 01/22/06 at 11:52 am

i can definitely appreciate the late-60s muscle cars. we were even watching dirty mary crazy larry again the other night! great flick. i totally saw this chevelle in the local mall parking lot that looked exactly like the frst dirty mary crazy larry car.

i've also been seeing a lot of mid-60s mustangs tooling around.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 01/22/06 at 1:23 pm

An auction with cars?  ::)  Sounds...... interesting......
Believe me, it is...if you saw how it was presented, well, I doubt you'd come to the same conclusion that I did, but if you can appreciate cool old cars and watched the show a couple of times, I'll bet you'd dig it.  ;)

Written By: gord on 01/22/06 at 2:18 pm

I've been watching it for 6 or 7 yrs now, I caught a little bit of it friday afternoon then some more on saturday. It is a high point of my yr on tv and it helps to kick off racing which is always a week later with the rolex 24 hr enduro from daytona. I missed Alan DeCadenet this yr on the floor, he knows the european stuff like no one else. :)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/22/06 at 6:39 pm

I'm not a car person, but good for you.  "LOST" is the greatest, BTW, although I can't watch it this season since my brother can't miss South Park  >:(

Written By: jackas on 01/23/06 at 12:08 am

About two weeks ago I began watching what I have since concluded is the coolest program ever to air on American television. This, of course, is the 2006 Barrett-Jackson Auction on the Speed Channel. This is an auction that is taking place in Scottsdale, Arizona, where vintage automobiles are put up for sale. Currently, rare 1960's American muscle cars are fetching the highest prices, with original, numbers-matching Hemi-powered Chrysler products easily going for upwards of $200,000. If you have even a passing interest in old cars, this show is a must see, and the announcers are experts on the most intricate details of these cars, and I've learned quite a bit from watching this show.
   Now, I know some of you will say, "But Al, what about (insert show here)?  Isn't THAT the coolest show that was ever on TV?"

I don't care. This show is cooler.

Sounds a little bit like the Antique Roadshow, but with cars. ;D  BTW, if you ever need to take a nap and can't sleep, I recommend watching the Antique Roadshow.

So in this show, do they show clips of the cars in action or do they at least rev the engines or anything cool?

Written By: La Roche on 01/23/06 at 8:45 am

I watched it a couple of times during the week.
There were some seriously nice machines going through, saw a few i wouldn't put up too much of a fight about if i were given one  ;)

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 01/23/06 at 9:02 am

Sounds a little bit like the Antique Roadshow, but with cars. ;D  BTW, if you ever need to take a nap and can't sleep, I recommend watching the Antique Roadshow.

So in this show, do they show clips of the cars in action or do they at least rev the engines or anything cool?
Basically how they do it, is they roll a car up onto a stage, give some basic information on it, and then the crowd begins bidding on it. (Sometimes they might rev the engines a bit.) While this is going on, there is an announcer up on the stage with a camera that follows him around that gets right close up to the car. The announcers are total experts on classic cars, and if there is a particular detail or flaw that may add to or subtract from the value of the car, the announcer will point it out and the camera will zoom in on that particular area of the vehicle. I realize that this show is not for everyone, but since I've been fascinated with cars since I was 2 years old, I absolutely love this show.
  The cars that are going for the most dough right now are 1960's 427 Corvettes (there was a black '67 roadster with a red stripe on the hood that just about made me swoon, and it went for $200,000), just about anything with a Hemi (Dodge Challenger and Plymouth 'Cuda ragtops were extremely rare from the get-go, so they've always been valuable), and original factory-built drag racers. The key to their value is originality--that is, that it can be proved that they came from the factory exactly the same way that they are now. For example, Chevrolet built a lot of Camaros in 1969, but very few Z/28's (which was actually designed as a factory racer to conform with the rules of the Trans-Am series). However, some people have taken more base models of Camaros and restored them as Z/28's. These cars are referred to as "clones," and while they may appear to be identical to a "real" Z/28, they aren't worth nearly as much as an original Z/28 who's authenticity can be proven through documentation. What I just said probably sounds like a bunch of gibberish to a lot of you, and that's all right, but that's the kind of thing I'm into.

Written By: jackas on 01/23/06 at 9:30 am

Basically how they do it, is they roll a car up onto a stage, give some basic information on it, and then the crowd begins bidding on it. (Sometimes they might rev the engines a bit.) While this is going on, there is an announcer up on the stage with a camera that follows him around that gets right close up to the car. The announcers are total experts on classic cars, and if there is a particular detail or flaw that may add to or subtract from the value of the car, the announcer will point it out and the camera will zoom in on that particular area of the vehicle. I realize that this show is not for everyone, but since I've been fascinated with cars since I was 2 years old, I absolutely love this show.
  The cars that are going for the most dough right now are 1960's 427 Corvettes (there was a black '67 roadster with a red stripe on the hood that just about made me swoon, and it went for $200,000), just about anything with a Hemi (Dodge Challenger and Plymouth 'Cuda ragtops were extremely rare from the get-go, so they've always been valuable), and original factory-built drag racers. The key to their value is originality--that is, that it can be proved that they came from the factory exactly the same way that they are now. For example, Chevrolet built a lot of Camaros in 1969, but very few Z/28's (which was actually designed as a factory racer to conform with the rules of the Trans-Am series). However, some people have taken more base models of Camaros and restored them as Z/28's. These cars are referred to as "clones," and while they may appear to be identical to a "real" Z/28, they aren't worth nearly as much as an original Z/28 who's authenticity can be proven through documentation. What I just said probably sounds like a bunch of gibberish to a lot of you, and that's all right, but that's the kind of thing I'm into.

My husbands aunt has a 1960s Corvette.  I'm not sure what size engine it has, but it has only been driven like 5,000 miles or less and everything on the car is original except for the tires.  It's a red convertible and it's just been sitting in the garage for years.  I've very curious at to how much that car is worth.

Written By: Tia on 01/23/06 at 11:09 am

My husbands aunt

wait a minute. i'm confused. you have a husband? i know this site is very gender-play-friendly but i'm befuddled in my dumb cracker mind.

Written By: jackas on 01/23/06 at 4:40 pm

wait a minute. i'm confused. you have a husband? i know this site is very gender-play-friendly but i'm befuddled in my dumb cracker mind.

I'm really jacks. ;)

Written By: Tia on 01/23/06 at 11:23 pm

I'm really jacks. ;)

holy alias, batman! i totally argued with you about politics, when if i knew you were jacks i'd have known i totally give you a politicopass because your pictures are so funny.

Written By: jackas on 01/23/06 at 11:49 pm

holy alias, batman! i totally argued with you about politics, when if i knew you were jacks i'd have known i totally give you a politicopass because your pictures are so funny.

LOL  I don't remember having an arguement. ;D  You must have been gentle. ;)

Written By: Tia on 01/24/06 at 9:51 am

hmm, i don't recollect it that clearly either. maybe we were both drunk.

anyway, mckinley was our WORST president and i stand by it!

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/01/07 at 6:32 pm

It's back!

I'm not leaving my house for the next few days.

Check for new replies or respond here...