inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What's more popular ... Nu metal or pop punk?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/22/06 at 7:50 pm

I'd say early 2000s numetal, mid 2000s pop punk. 

Subject: Re: What's more popular ... Nu metal or pop punk?

Written By: bbigd04 on 01/22/06 at 7:52 pm

I'd say early 2000s numetal, mid 2000s pop punk. 

Yea I agree. Pop punk has been getting bigger and bigger while nu metal still has a following but I think it's fading.

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/22/06 at 7:53 pm

Both are probably tied about now.

Of course, pop/punk has been around since 1994 with Green Day and the Offspring, but that was more alternative/metal based. Now it's emo-based. So overall this has more staying power, but nu metal has more "definable" bands.

Ya know, Linkin Park is more of a household name than, say Good Charlotte or Simple Plan (today's pop/punk is more copycat styled bands who tend to sound alike).

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/22/06 at 7:56 pm

Both are probably tied about now.

Of course, pop/punk has been around since 1994 with Green Day and the Offspring, but that was more alternative/metal based. Now it's emo-based. So overall this has more staying power, but nu metal has more "definable" bands.

Ya know, Linkin Park is more of a household name than, say Good Charlotte or Simple Plan (today's pop/punk is more copycat styled bands who tend to sound alike).

I'm of the opinion that 1990s pop punk and 2000s Emo are separate genres.  Related, I guess, but I only see mild Green Day influence in Simple Plan and Good Charlotte and almost no Offspring influence (from what I've heard of them, that is).  I see much more Blink 182 influence.

Numetal, on the other hand, is in decline but not dead: Rap-metal is dead (except for Linkin Park), but the post-grunge still find audiences.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/22/06 at 7:57 pm

As much as it pains me to say it....

pop punk.

Just typing thoses words sends shivers up my spine.  ;D

Written By: bbigd04 on 01/22/06 at 8:01 pm

I'm of the opinion that 1990s pop punk and 2000s Emo are separate genres.  Related, I guess, but I only see mild Green Day influence in Simple Plan and Good Charlotte and almost no Offspring influence (from what I've heard of them, that is).  I see much more Blink 182 influence.

Numetal, on the other hand, is in decline but not dead: Rap-metal is dead (except for Linkin Park), but the post-grunge still find audiences.

Most of what I hear on the radio now is pop punk like fall out boy and all-american rejects which are both selling very well and getting tons of airplay. Nu metal is still popular, but it's not popular like pop punk is now.

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/22/06 at 8:01 pm

Blink, although extremely commercial, was more catchy IMO. I think the current wave of pop/punk is designed more for skater kids, and started around 2002 (but traces back to '99), while the 90's pop/punk was more for angry teens.

To equate it with something else, there was a commercial popular when I was a kid in the early 90's, for O'Douls. The slogan was "it's what beer drinkers drink when they're not drinking beer", and I think that totally applies here. Pop/punk was never completely grunge (90's) or emo (2002+), but it slightly bent itself to appeal to audiences who liked that.

I mean, Rod Stewart didn't become Duran Duran in 1984, but his sound was kinda designed to appeal to fans of that, ya know.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/22/06 at 8:02 pm

Most of what I hear on the radio now is pop punk like fall out boy and all-american rejects which are both selling very well and getting tons of airplay. Nu metal is still popular, but it's not popular like pop punk is now.

Fall Out Boy would be more of a true Emo band, in my opinion. Although I don't really like them that much, I have to admit they're pretty original.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/22/06 at 8:04 pm

Blink, although extremely commercial, was more catchy IMO. I think the current wave of pop/punk is designed more for skater kids, and started around 2002 (but traces back to '99), while the 90's pop/punk was more for angry teens.

To equate it with something, there was a commercial popular when I was a kid in the early 90's, for O'Douls. The slogan was "it's what beer drinkers drink when they're not drinking beer", and I think that totally applies here.

Pop/punk was never completely grunge (90's) or emo (2002+), but it slightly bent itself to appeal to audiences who liked that.

Do you Emo will become the Grunge of the 2000s?  I mean, Grunge was popular enough in the '90s but they're probably genres equally of even more popular from then, like R&B.

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/22/06 at 8:08 pm

Do you Emo will become the Grunge of the 2000s?  I mean, Grunge was popular enough in the '90s but they're probably genres equally of even more popular from then, like R&B.

I think they've each got some commonalities, but grunge tended to be more angry, while emo is whiny. Grunge was also "rocky" enough to pick up fans of heavier music or the underground/college rock of the 80's, so even if it stood in contrast to arena rock and hair metal, it still had a more "wide" audience if that makes sense.

I can't see Emo being that way, unless it develops in sound.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/22/06 at 8:09 pm

I agree with Marty. My two cents, Emo is more like Goth music from the 80's, somewhat, rather than Grunge.

Written By: bbigd04 on 01/22/06 at 8:12 pm

I think what emo does have in common with grunge is that it is definitely popular but it doesn't dominate the charts. Hip-hop is what dominates the charts, but emo certainly has a presence.

Check for new replies or respond here...