inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Latest sign that the Apocalypse is near

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 01/30/06 at 1:23 am

http://www.mobilemag.com/content/images/6171_super.jpg

That's right. Toyota is going to compete in the NASCAR Nextel Cup series starting in 2007.  You just gotta love the idea of Toyota engineers designing a race car that's still based on 1960's technology. (A rear-wheel-drive Camry with an OHV V-8 that has a carburetor?!?  First the Red Sox win the World Series, and now this?  The end really is near!)

Subject: Re: Latest sign that the Apocalypse is near

Written By: La Roche on 01/30/06 at 8:41 am

That's right. Toyota is going to compete in the NASCAR Nextel Cup series starting in 2007.  You just gotta love the idea of Toyota engineers designing a race car that's still based on 1960's technology. (A rear-wheel-drive Camry with an OHV V-8 that has a carburetor?!?  First the Red Sox win the World Series, and now this?  The end really is near!)

...And ya know what's really funny?

They'll destroy the competition  ;D

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 01/30/06 at 4:22 pm

...And ya know what's really funny?

They'll destroy the competition  ;D
That'll drive the 'necks up the wall!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Written By: annonymouse on 01/30/06 at 4:58 pm

Wow!!! The Title Was Remarkably Misleading.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 01/31/06 at 8:32 am

Wow!!! The Title Was Remarkably Misleading.
Sorry to bum you out.  ::)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/31/06 at 8:31 pm

That'll drive the 'necks up the wall!!!  ;D ;D ;D
Hey...I'm a NASCAR fan...and I am far from redneck.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/31/06 at 8:38 pm

BTW, as of 2007, even the American models now in NASCAR are going to undergo changes that are designed to make them safer....And the Ford Taurus is gone starting this coming season, replaced by the Ford Fusion which is based on a Mazda design!

To those who don't like NASCAR....to each their own. But it's not that every fan is a redneck. And we don't all marry our cousins, live in run-down shacks, or aspire to be like Kevin Federline.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 02/01/06 at 9:12 am

To those who don't like NASCAR....to each their own. But it's not that every fan is a redneck. And we don't all marry our cousins, live in run-down shacks, or aspire to be like Kevin Federline.
No, but a lot of them are, and I'm sure that many of them consider the very idea of a Toyota trading paint with Fords, Chevys, and Dodges at Talledega or Bristol to be a complete sacrilege. It should be quite interesting to see which teams switch to Toyotas next year, who will be driving them, and how the fans will react.
    Not to mention, if Toyota is successful in Nextel Cup racing, will other foreign automakers that have plants in the U.S. be far behind? In ten years, will we be seeing Hondas and Hyundais and BMW's racing in NASCAR as well? 

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 02/03/06 at 6:25 pm

No, but a lot of them are, and I'm sure that many of them consider the very idea of a Toyota trading paint with Fords, Chevys, and Dodges at Talledega or Bristol to be a complete sacrilege. It should be quite interesting to see which teams switch to Toyotas next year, who will be driving them, and how the fans will react.
    Not to mention, if Toyota is successful in Nextel Cup racing, will other foreign automakers that have plants in the U.S. be far behind? In ten years, will we be seeing Hondas and Hyundais and BMW's racing in NASCAR as well? 
So, do you consider NASCAR fans from anywhere other than the southern states 'Rednecks'? Do you think NASCAR drivers are rednecks? I don't think a lot of the drivers are 'rednecks', they are consumnate pros at what they do, and some don't only race in NASCAR...Tony Stewart did 'Double Duty' twice, running in the Indy 500 and Coca-Cola 600 in the same day...Robby Gordon has also done "Double Duty"...

There are very few drivers I actually dislike...the two that absolutely get under my skin are Kurt Busch and Jimmie Johnson....Kurt because he acts like a prissy spoiled brat(which is why Roush released him) and Jimmie, because every time he loses, he bellyaches about it, and he caused 'The Big One' so many times last year....

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 02/04/06 at 8:45 am

So, do you consider NASCAR fans from anywhere other than the southern states 'Rednecks'? Do you think NASCAR drivers are rednecks? I don't think a lot of the drivers are 'rednecks', they are consumnate pros at what they do, and some don't only race in NASCAR...Tony Stewart did 'Double Duty' twice, running in the Indy 500 and Coca-Cola 600 in the same day...Robby Gordon has also done "Double Duty"...
Oh, believe me, there's plenty of 'necks here in the Midwest, both where I live now (Missouri) and where I grew up (Nebraska). And you know what? I get along just fine with the vast majority of them. Some of my best friends are rednecks. As a matter-of-fact, I happen to think that I have a little bit of that "good ol' boy" mentality in myself.
    When I make jokes about NASCAR and rednecks, I mean nothing personal towards you by that. And I think that, being a NASCAR fan, you should know by now that people are going to kid you about it from time to time. It comes with the territory.
    I think I also mentioned to you a while back that I will be attending my first NASCAR race in October at Kansas Speedway. Watching a NASCAR race in person has been something I've been wanting to do since I was a little kid, and I am highly anticipating it. And if it turns out to be as fun and exciting as I expect it to be, then someday I would like to go to one of the "old school" tracks, like Darlington or Talledega. (Attending the Indianapolis 500 is also another goal of mine.) 
    As far as the professionalism of the drivers? I get it. I understand the true concept behind NASCAR and why the top drivers in the U.S. choose it over other racing series. NASCAR has evolved into the major league of American racing, and no other series comes close in terms of prize money and media exposure in the U.S. (with the exception of Danica Patrick, who very nearly became the first woman to win the Indy 500).
    Still doesn't mean I can't make jokes about NASCAR from time to time.  ;)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 02/04/06 at 5:37 pm

Oh, believe me, there's plenty of 'necks here in the Midwest, both where I live now (Missouri) and where I grew up (Nebraska). And you know what? I get along just fine with the vast majority of them. Some of my best friends are rednecks. As a matter-of-fact, I happen to think that I have a little bit of that "good ol' boy" mentality in myself.
    When I make jokes about NASCAR and rednecks, I mean nothing personal towards you by that. And I think that, being a NASCAR fan, you should know by now that people are going to kid you about it from time to time. It comes with the territory.
    I think I also mentioned to you a while back that I will be attending my first NASCAR race in October at Kansas Speedway. Watching a NASCAR race in person has been something I've been wanting to do since I was a little kid, and I am highly anticipating it. And if it turns out to be as fun and exciting as I expect it to be, then someday I would like to go to one of the "old school" tracks, like Darlington or Talledega. (Attending the Indianapolis 500 is also another goal of mine.) 
    As far as the professionalism of the drivers? I get it. I understand the true concept behind NASCAR and why the top drivers in the U.S. choose it over other racing series. NASCAR has evolved into the major league of American racing, and no other series comes close in terms of prize money and media exposure in the U.S. (with the exception of Danica Patrick, who very nearly became the first woman to win the Indy 500).
    Still doesn't mean I can't make jokes about NASCAR from time to time.  ;)
Yeah, I understand.

Written By: Watcher29 on 02/06/06 at 11:17 am

Hey...I'm a NASCAR fan...and I am far from redneck.

And I'm a redneck who doesn't like NASCAR. Funny old world, isn't it?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 02/06/06 at 11:55 pm

And I'm a redneck who doesn't like NASCAR. Funny old world, isn't it?
That's okay. To each his own.

Check for new replies or respond here...