inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Does anyone actually like the '00s?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/31/06 at 1:35 pm

I'd say "No, Terrible Decade".  Even when it seems like it's becoming better, we get to see Nelly's Grillz.  ;D

Subject: Re: Does anyone actually like the '00s?

Written By: gmann on 01/31/06 at 1:43 pm

I'd say "No, Terrible Decade".  Even when it seems like it's becoming better, we get to see Nelly's Grillz.  ;D

I hear ya, Donnie...at least about the Nelly thing. I don't think the 00's (or whatever we're calling 'em this week) are really all that bad, overall. So far, this decade has been far kinder to me in many ways than the 90s were. Getting married to my sweetheart three years ago is reason enough to call it a good decade.  :)

Written By: bbigd04 on 01/31/06 at 1:55 pm

I like the '00s, do I absolutely love the '00s- no, but overall I don't mind this decade. It's not as bad as some people think.

Written By: Apricot on 01/31/06 at 2:05 pm

Mainstream pop culture is never all that great, and I personally prefered the 90s... but this ain't THAT bad of a decade.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/31/06 at 2:05 pm

I like the '00s, do I absolutely love the '00s- no, but overall I don't mind this decade. It's not as bad as some people think.

Actually, although I like the '90s better, I think the '00s is probably a better time to be a kid.  The '90s were so adult-oriented, today is more kid-friendly.  Also, the '00s make a better nostalgia decade since they're more cheesy and one-tracked than the '90s.

Written By: bbigd04 on 01/31/06 at 2:34 pm

Actually, although I like the '90s better, I think the '00s is probably a better time to be a kid.  The '90s were so adult-oriented, today is more kid-friendly.  Also, the '00s make a better nostalgia decade since they're more cheesy and one-tracked than the '90s.

I like the '90s better as well, but I don't know about today being a better time to be a kid, I think the '90s were a great time to be a kid. For one thing the programs I watched in the '90s as a kid are a lot better than the cheesy preteen stuff that disney and nick are filled with today, I guess the kids today like that stuff but I never got into it much.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/31/06 at 3:15 pm

I like the '90s better as well, but I don't know about today being a better time to be a kid, I think the '90s were a great time to be a kid. For one thing the programs I watched in the '90s as a kid are a lot better than the cheesy preteen stuff that disney and nick are filled with today, I guess the kids today like that stuff but I never got into it much.

That's true.  On second thought, I agree, the '90s were better. Our Nick was way better than the Spongebob channel, and before 1998 or so there was hardly any Japanimation.

Written By: woops on 01/31/06 at 4:42 pm

It's OK, though I don't have to go through it again...though I think I'm starting all over (Rarely speak of my personal life  :-X)...

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/31/06 at 6:49 pm

Nope, not fond of it.

Written By: rich1981 on 01/31/06 at 11:37 pm

This decade, as with all the previous decades has had its ups and downs, both personally and culturally, so I'd say it's okay.

Written By: Dan78 on 02/01/06 at 11:55 am

It's ok, it's kind of how I found this board.  :)

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 02/01/06 at 7:22 pm

I like it.  But I'm not comparing the '00s to the past, I'm comparing it to the still unformed future. 

That's because I'll be older in the 2010's and 2020's.  So I enjoy my life as a still relatively young man of 30, where I can look back on the times I grew up in (80s and 90s) and still do it from a young guy's perspective.  Whereas in the 2020s I'll be in my 40s and 50s. 

Reminiscing about growing up in the 80s can be seen as cool today, because 30 year olds are doing it, not 60 year olds.

So in that sense, the '00s are not bad at all.  Not bad indeed.  I'm down wit it. 

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 02/01/06 at 7:23 pm

The 00s being my "younger prime age" (I made that term up) I have to say: Yes, I'm loving it!  8)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 02/02/06 at 2:05 am

It's been okay - It's had its ups and downs, but I have also accomplished a lot these last 6 years.

Written By: Stompgal on 02/02/06 at 5:02 am

This is a good decade so far,but i'm currently worried that it'll get worse.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/02/06 at 9:53 am

It's ok.

Written By: McDonald on 02/02/06 at 11:52 am

Personally, I think that the 00's suck. I mean, nobody cares about anything anymore. Everyone just wants to ignore how bad everything is and plug all the holes up with superficial crap like bad music, shopping, hair,celebrity exploits, romantic comedies, etc... It's almost to much to bear. It makes you want to cut yourself off from the rest of the world, and say "ah, to hell with 'em!"

Then there are things like human trafficking, the "mind-numbing effects of globalisation," a political shift toward the Right throughout the Anglo world, blah blah blah... I just can't stand it, and the only thing I'll be sad about when it's over is the fact that I'll be ten years older.

Written By: Watcher29 on 02/03/06 at 9:26 am

It's OK. In fact, I predict that in the 2010s and Teens, people will be nostaglic for the "good old" 00 decade. I mean, we already have 90s nostalgia and that was only 6 years ago.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/09/06 at 8:09 pm

I hate this decade. I think it's a load of materialistic bullsheesh that will look extremely charming in retrospect to those for whom the actual memory of it has faded-like the 1980s. Everyone wanted to forget the 1980s until about 2002 or so, when it came back big time as a nostalgia fetish and fixation. Things I hate about this decade:

1. World affairs suck. 9/11, the "mind-numbing effects of globalization", big business' stranglehold on the US populace, a recession that is likely to turn into a depression, energy crises, the war on terrorism, security anxiety, the war in Iraq...
2. Overt materialism and vacuity have made a big comeback after being in recession since the 1980s.
Everybody my age just seems to be into this stuff and has very little real desire to change the world. And yet there's so much to change. Classism has also made a big comeback.
3. Nothing is real and grungy anymore. Everything's all Disneyified and pretentious. In everything. And the so-called bohemian scene is mindnumbingly materialistic and boring. The coming severe recession will change this, probably.
4. The music and TV are awful. No decent sitcoms. Reality TV was big and now is as mindnumbingly boring as regular TV.
5. Everything is aesthetically pleasing but nothing has substance or excitement. Most people are extremely corporate in this way, imitating what they see around them.
6. Everyone is receding from the world into their little world of the internet, iPods, and blogging and becoming less like real people. This is going on so much now and having a horrible effect on the social skills and habits of young people today. I think as people become adjusted to these things in the 2010s they'll become alot less of a big deal, though still common, and real communication will come back in vogue as people react cynically to the prevalence of these things and get sort of bored with them and used to them, and a younger, smaller Generation Z becomes the disenchanted and rebellious Generation X to Generation Y.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/09/06 at 9:52 pm

I hate this decade. I think it's a load of materialistic bullsheesh that will look extremely charming in retrospect to those for whom the actual memory of it has faded-like the 1980s. Everyone wanted to forget the 1980s until about 2002 or so, when it came back big time as a nostalgia fetish and fixation. Things I hate about this decade:

1. World affairs suck. 9/11, the "mind-numbing effects of globalization", big business' stranglehold on the US populace, a recession that is likely to turn into a depression, energy crises, the war on terrorism, security anxiety, the war in Iraq...
2. Overt materialism and vacuity have made a big comeback after being in recession since the 1980s.
Everybody my age just seems to be into this stuff and has very little real desire to change the world. And yet there's so much to change. Classism has also made a big comeback.
3. Nothing is real and grungy anymore. Everything's all Disneyified and pretentious. In everything. And the so-called bohemian scene is mindnumbingly materialistic and boring. The coming severe recession will change this, probably.
4. The music and TV are awful. No decent sitcoms. Reality TV was big and now is as mindnumbingly boring as regular TV.
5. Everything is aesthetically pleasing but nothing has substance or excitement. Most people are extremely corporate in this way, imitating what they see around them.
6. Everyone is receding from the world into their little world of the internet, iPods, and blogging and becoming less like real people. This is going on so much now and having a horrible effect on the social skills and habits of young people today. I think as people become adjusted to these things in the 2010s they'll become alot less of a big deal, though still common, and real communication will come back in vogue as people react cynically to the prevalence of these things and get sort of bored with them and used to them, and a younger, smaller Generation Z becomes the disenchanted and rebellious Generation X to Generation Y.

Although I still hold to the belief the the '00s is just a Disneyfied '90s, I do see what you're saying.

Even though 2000s music is pretty much just an evolution of '90s music (except for Crunk and emo, which are pretty exclusively '00s), the television is definitely different. 
And I agree that the '00s are more shallow and materialistic, however I think they're "hip" rather than trendy like the '90s were.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/10/06 at 12:48 pm

I agree with you...the whole culture being hip as opposed to trendy is a return to the 1980s from the 1990s. There also isn't that much creativity in culture overall right now. I think it's because of the boomers getting older and more settled in their ways to allow creativity, and because Gen Y overall isn't that creative, with some exceptions. Gen X is too small to dominate.

Written By: Erik_241 on 02/10/06 at 1:25 pm

Overall I think this decade is the best, but some things like music kind of suck.  The 90s had great music-I'm a big fan of grunge/alternative but the 2000s has mainly been gangsta rap and emo which I both hate with a passion!  It seems most of the good bands and music are ignored by the mainstream this decade like Chili Peppers, Radiohead, 311, Weezer, Incubus, White Stripes ect.  A lot of the mainstream music this decade is by talentless and corporate made artists.  TV also sucks this decade, I'm tired of reality tv and "intense" medical dramasa.  I wish good time sitcoms would make a comeback.  Movies this decade however are awesome!! Sure there have been let downs, but there have been a lot of creative stories and the graphics/special effect this day and age are so realistic!  Overall this decade is pretty awesome! I have to disagree though with kids having a better time this decade than the 90s.  I think the 90s were a way better time to be a kid!! The 90s had great well illustrated cartoons: Ghostbusters, Ninja Turtles, Eek! the Cat, David the Gnome(carried over from 80s), Rupert, the Adventures of Tin Tin, Spider-Man, Batman, X-men, Rocko's Modern Life ect..  The 90s actually had Saturday Morning Cartoons!!! I woke up every Sat. morning at 7 to watch cartoons, it was great!  Now all the shows are japanese animated or drawn poorly and have little or no imagination, there have been some good ones like Courage the Cowardly Dog, but overall Sat. mornings are dead.  Plus the 90s had supersoakers, Nerf guns, Sega, Super NES, gak, action figures were still popular.  Kids today do nothing but play computer/console games. 

Written By: McDonald on 02/10/06 at 1:25 pm

"...the so-called bohemian scene is mindnumbingly materialistic and boring."

I agree with this statement completely. The bobos (so-called bourgeois bohemians) make me physically ill.

There is no authenticity scene in Gen-Y. The sheer vacuousness of the Gen-Y cultural environment is all-pervasive. All the truly "authentic" people have had their souls blown out, and have been rendered too misanthropic (because of their disgust for this culture) to find eachother.

GenY is, above all, a scene-oriented culture. Most people subscribe to some form of sub-cultural notion. If you're in GenY, this is no news to you. There is the uberculture of glam and gloss, and the many subcultures (i.e. emos, hardcore punks, wannabe punks, bobos/scenesters*, hipsters, various political youth movements, hip-hoppers, retro-hippies, drugtakers, rednecks, vegans, vegetarians, various religious groups, straightedgers etc...).

*the Scenesters are the largest scene by far, and are particularly disgusting to me.*

Think of how many scenes there are... maybe hundreds. And every one of them is so dogmatically about something. To the individual, the "scene" scene is so pass

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/10/06 at 2:10 pm

I agree with this statement completely. The bobos (so-called bourgeois bohemians) make me physically ill.

There is no authenticity scene in Gen-Y. The sheer vacuousness of the Gen-Y cultural environment is all-pervasive. All the truly "authentic" people have had their souls blown out, and have been rendered too misanthropic (because of their disgust for this culture) to find eachother.

GenY is, above all, a scene-oriented culture. Most people subscribe to some form of sub-cultural notion. If you're in GenY, this is no news to you. There is the uberculture of glam and gloss, and the many subcultures (i.e. emos, hardcore punks, wannabe punks, bobos/scenesters*, hipsters, various political youth movements, hip-hoppers, retro-hippies, drugtakers, rednecks, vegans, vegetarians, various religious groups, straightedgers etc...).

*the Scenesters are the largest scene by far, and are particularly disgusting to me.*

Think of how many scenes there are... maybe hundreds. And every one of them is so dogmatically about something. To the individual, the "scene" scene is so pass

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/10/06 at 5:30 pm

I really hate my generation...we're incredibly shallow and trusting. We're like sheep. I don't really think Generation Z will be like this as 2010s teens though, since they're the children of Generation X.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/10/06 at 6:05 pm

I agree.  Gen Y sucks. 

Humanity sucks.   We're the most violent beings in the Universe, our bodies are made of the nastiest substance imaginable, we worship something that represents trade (the Dollar), and we drown our sorrows with crappy music and celebrity gossip.  I hate my race.

Shoot... No wonder Donnie Darko quit the boards.  :-\\

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/10/06 at 7:10 pm

[quote author=Ły

Written By: robby76 on 02/10/06 at 9:07 pm

I'm an 80's guy inside, but the 00's are okay with me... apart from mainstream music and terrorism.
I love the look of new houses in 00's... kitchens, gadgets, architecture.

Written By: McDonald on 02/13/06 at 2:37 pm

... kitchens, gadgets, architecture.

This is sort of what I mean. The only redeeming qualities you can pinpoint in this generation are the material goods available. Can you point out any valuable contributions to art, literature, music, culture, etc...? I can't. Of course, Gen-Y is still very young, and we still have time to contribute.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/13/06 at 3:29 pm

Yeah, the only redeeming thing anybody who I ask whether or not they like the 00s and they say they like it can mention is the aesthetics, and how everything became more aesthetically pleasing. Well, that's a bullsheesh plug-up for an empty culture and horrific things going on around you.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/13/06 at 4:08 pm

I think the 00's are okay. But only for two reasons im still alive and technelogical advances. But other than that i would say not such a good decade.

Written By: Donnie_Darko on 02/13/06 at 4:16 pm

This is sort of what I mean. The only redeeming qualities you can pinpoint in this generation are the material goods available. Can you point out any valuable contributions to art, literature, music, culture, etc...? I can't. Of course, Gen-Y is still very young, and we still have time to contribute.

I don't like the look of the '00s.  It seems very white and bleak to me.  The '60s-'90s had more of a cluttered look that I like, whereas the '00s seem more cold and barren.

I think the reason Gen Y hasn't contributed is because of greedy people who run the entertainment business, and also because the education system sucks.  They know that kids will buy Nickelback and 50 Cent albums and they see no reason to change it.  The indie scene will change all of that though, unless those bastards find a way to regulate that.  I hope not, as that would mean the end of my musicianship.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/13/06 at 4:28 pm

I don't like the look of the '00s.  It seems very white and bleak to me.  The '60s-'90s had more of a cluttered look that I like, whereas the '00s seem more cold and barren.

I think the reason Gen Y hasn't contributed is because of greedy people who run the entertainment business, and also because the education system sucks.  They know that kids will buy Nickelback and 50 Cent albums and they see no reason to change it.  The indie scene will change all of that though, unless those bastards find a way to regulate that.  I hope not, as that would mean the end of my musicianship.

I think its sad how kids today buy something just because there friends have it or its on mtv. Most of them dont even know why they like 50 cent or whatever. The 00's is all about following the herd and not being and individual all you have to do is just watch a commercial for kidz bop on t.v. and you'll see what i mean

Written By: McDonald on 02/14/06 at 12:07 pm

I think its sad how kids today buy something just because there friends have it or its on mtv. Most of them dont even know why they like 50 cent or whatever. The 00's is all about following the herd and not being and individual all you have to do is just watch a commercial for kidz bop on t.v. and you'll see what i mean

And even the kids who think they're individuals are usually still following a trend or a crowd... just a different trend and a different crown than the majority. Goth and punk went pop. Indie went pop. Grunge went way way way pop. Bohemia went pop. All of it. It's all bullshhh.

Written By: Donnie_Darko on 02/14/06 at 12:13 pm

And even the kids who think they're individuals are usually still following a trend or a crowd... just a different trend and a different crown than the majority. Goth and punk went pop. Indie went pop. Grunge went way way way pop. Bohemia went pop. All of it. It's all bullshhh.

I agree.

I can't stand those hipster types, who think they're smarter than everyone else because they listen to Bright Eyes.  Not that I don't like Indie Rock, but a lot of indie fans are kind of stuck up and think they're better people than those with more mainstream or even different taste.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/14/06 at 12:29 pm

I agree.

I can't stand those hipster types, who think they're smarter than everyone else because they listen to Bright Eyes.  Not that I don't like Indie Rock, but a lot of indie fans are kind of stuck up and think they're better people than those with more mainstream or even different taste.

Yeah i dont listen to much current mainstream music but i certianly wouldnt consider myself to be smarter than someone else just because they do

Written By: McDonald on 02/14/06 at 1:30 pm

I agree.

OMG, I hate bright eyes. I went to one of their concerts to see the Faint, who was opening for them. The Faint totally killed, but Bright Eyes sucked so so so much. I left within two songs. It was so whiney. It sounded like a cat in heat.

And their fans? Giggly teenage girls and skinny, pasty white guys with long hair who "aren't gay." No offence to the other skinny pasty white guys (I'm one of them), but could these people be picked out of a crowd with 90% accuracy or what!

Written By: Donnie_Darko on 02/14/06 at 2:28 pm

OMG, I hate bright eyes. I went to one of their concerts to see the Faint, who was opening for them. The Faint totally killed, but Bright Eyes sucked so so so much. I left within two songs. It was so whiney. It sounded like a cat in heat.

And their fans? Giggly teenage girls and skinny, pasty white guys with long hair who "aren't gay." No offence to the other skinny pasty white guys (I'm one of them), but could these people be picked out of a crowd with 90% accuracy or what!

;D  You're awesome!

It's almost like being "alternative" and "indie" is the trend today, either that or you're ghetto.  The whole "Emo" thing is really just a subset of the hipster/geek culture.

And this is coming from a guy who listens to Indie Rock and New Wave almost exclusively, and who self-published music and film over the Internet.

Written By: Juan on 02/14/06 at 3:29 pm

Personally, I think that the 00's suck. I mean, nobody cares about anything anymore. Everyone just wants to ignore how bad everything is and plug all the holes up with superficial crap like bad music, shopping, hair,celebrity exploits, romantic comedies, etc... It's almost to much to bear. It makes you want to cut yourself off from the rest of the world, and say "ah, to hell with 'em!"

Then there are things like human trafficking, the "mind-numbing effects of globalisation," a political shift toward the Right throughout the Anglo world, blah blah blah... I just can't stand it, and the only thing I'll be sad about when it's over is the fact that I'll be ten years older

TOTALLY AGREE, I HATE THIS DECADE
and something new in this decade:
people who pretend to like a band, but they only come to their shows just for 1 song or 2
Real fans, are dead

Written By: JFK-2004 on 02/14/06 at 7:37 pm

I have a proposal for all who are discontented with the current state of our society.  There has been enough criticism of this decade on this forum, but has anyone seriously taken any action to try to disrupt the elements of society that disgust you?  I'm not suggesting that anyone do anything rash or extreme, but civilizations don't change without the intervention of their citizens.  So the next time someone agitates you by blasting vulgar rap music out of their car stereo, blast some quality classic rock music back at them to put their flawed music tastes to shame.  Petition your local cable company (if you have cable) to add worthwhile music channels such as Fuse to their basic offering.  Avoid voting for politicians with a history of corruption and scandal, because they'll undoubtedly repeat their indiscretions.  The reason why our elected officials frequently evade judgment is because too many Americans tolerate their actions, either because they don't understand the problem or because they just don't give a damn.   

Written By: McDonald on 02/15/06 at 9:58 am

I have a proposal for all who are discontented with the current state of our society.  There has been enough criticism of this decade on this forum, but has anyone seriously taken any action to try to disrupt the elements of society that disgust you?  I'm not suggesting that anyone do anything rash or extreme, but civilizations don't change without the intervention of their citizens.  So the next time someone agitates you by blasting vulgar rap music out of their car stereo, blast some quality classic rock music back at them to put their flawed music tastes to shame.  Petition your local cable company (if you have cable) to add worthwhile music channels such as Fuse to their basic offering.  Avoid voting for politicians with a history of corruption and scandal, because they'll undoubtedly repeat their indiscretions.  The reason why our elected officials frequently evade judgment is because too many Americans tolerate their actions, either because they don't understand the problem or because they just don't give a damn.   

I know this is totally not what you're talking about, but Fuse sucks balls for the most part. They play more music than MTV or VH1, but the music they play is just as bad as anything you'll hear on the radio. Vh1 Classic is pretty cool, and a lot of cable companies already have that. And I don't waste my money on cable in the first place.

Blasting classic rock music isn't going to change anyone's mind. I like to think I do make a difference by talking to people. Bitching about the decade on this forum is something that recharges my batteries and lets me bounce ideas back and forth with other people. Also, a lot of hipster losers might stumble upon this board and come to realise how vapid and worthless the scene is. 

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/15/06 at 11:30 am

I know this is totally not what you're talking about, but Fuse sucks balls for the most part. They play more music than MTV or VH1, but the music they play is just as bad as anything you'll hear on the radio. Vh1 Classic is pretty cool, and a lot of cable companies already have that. And I don't waste my money on cable in the first place.

Blasting classic rock music isn't going to change anyone's mind. I like to think I do make a difference by talking to people. Bitching about the decade on this forum is something that recharges my batteries and lets me bounce ideas back and forth with other people. Also, a lot of hipster losers might stumble upon this board and come to realise how vapid and worthless the scene is. 

Fuse should be called the Emo channel.  Other than refusing to play the now-dated nu metal garbage, they're about as bad as any rock station.

And Classic Rock isn't really that great anyway.  For every Beatles or ELO you have the Rolling Stones or garbage like Kenny Rogers.  Plus, it was just as rebellious as glam and gangsta rap for it's day, even if it's clean now, if that makes any sense.

I agree about the hipster thing being worthless.  I hate it when people talk about their scenes and say how important and big they are/were, even if only 0.25% of the population knows about them!  Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of hipster-type stuff, but I can't stand the subculture itself.  Lo-fi music sucks balls.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 02/16/06 at 9:29 pm

I hate nearly everything about it, but I like some of the attitudes compared to the 90's. There seems to be a more colorful spirit.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/17/06 at 12:27 pm

I think the attitudes are far worse compared to the '90s, honestly. It seems like some of the more progressive, rebellious stuff had a slight revival in the '90s, at least for their first 2/3. Now, it really irritates me that there's more to be upset about yet I think alot of teens care less, they're just into the whole money thing and depressed over their own vacuousness...hipsters these days are just as bad as the rest of the culture.

Written By: KKay on 02/17/06 at 12:35 pm

it's not fun.
everything in entertainment is a remake with very little originality.  even I succomed to remaking rather than write something new in my own creativity.
nature is screwed.
the bird flu is coming.

this has had no impact on my having fun, mind you. but I don't see rainbows and unicorns in 2007.

Written By: d90 on 12/01/17 at 9:18 pm

Time sure goes fast. It's been 11 years since this thread was made and this thread is proof that people ranted about the 2000s the way people now rant about the 2010s

Written By: Rainbowz on 12/01/17 at 9:23 pm

Time sure goes fast. It's been 11 years since this thread was made and this thread is proof that people ranted about the 2000s the way people now rant about the 2010s

Ten years from now, we'll have people saying how they miss the 2010's.

Written By: 2001 on 12/01/17 at 9:25 pm

I hated everything about the 2000s then ;D

Now that there's some distance, I don't have to subject myself to the awful things about that decade and can focus on the good stuff.

Written By: Zelek3 on 12/01/17 at 9:50 pm

a younger, smaller Generation Z becomes the disenchanted and rebellious Generation X to Generation Y.

This guy predicted the future. This looks like it may happen now.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/02/17 at 12:05 am

Yup, this is exactly how I remember it. It happens every decade. Next decade there will be people saying how much they hate the 2020s and miss the 2010s.

Written By: SpyroKev on 12/02/17 at 12:16 am

I do. The 2000s will remain my favorite decade. It accomplished the perfect blend of old school timeless.

Written By: KatanaChick on 12/02/17 at 6:55 am

I miss the 2000's because it was the remainder of my youth and even if it had it's ups and downs, I have plenty of fond memories of doing things I no longer do and it feels like more fun was had back then. Also music was better, even if the 90's had the most variety there.

Written By: d90 on 12/02/17 at 7:15 am

Back in 2006 I was already feeling nostalgic for the early 2000s. But now I have nostalgia for the whole decade, but still mostly the early part with the mid coming in 2nd and last but not least the late 2000s.

Written By: Howard on 12/02/17 at 7:19 am

Ten years from now, we'll have people saying how they miss the 2010's.

You got that right.

Written By: ofkx on 12/02/17 at 8:13 am

This guy predicted the future. This looks like it may happen now.

We're a bit more woke than the gen before us, but a lot of us are still pretty shallow tbh ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/02/17 at 11:55 am

I enjoyed the 00s, I had a mixture of work and being unemployed, and had several good holidays.

Written By: Howard on 12/02/17 at 1:59 pm

I had my first girlfriend in 2004, had a part time job in 2007 & met a friend in 2003.

Written By: 2001 on 12/02/17 at 3:20 pm

The early 2000s were fun because I was still a kid. The second half of the 2000s were very dark for me.  :\'( I truly didn't feel like I was living until maybe summer 2009, or after I graduated high school in 2010.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/03/17 at 3:43 pm

Time sure goes fast. It's been 11 years since OP made this thread and it is proof that people ranted about the 2000s the way people now rant about the 2010s
Just reading those old posts, it seems those complaints were more about the emo culture, the music scene, world affairs and people being their world of the internet rather than the general atmosphere. I agree with most of it because world affairs were awful. Snap rap practically took up the charts, and emo culture was kind overwhelming. I disagree with the last one though since most people could only go online on a PC back then unlike everywhere today.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/03/17 at 4:06 pm

Just reading those old posts, it seems those complaints were more about the emo culture, the music scene, world affairs and people being their world of the internet rather than the general atmosphere. I agree with most of it because world affairs were awful. Snap rap practically took up the charts, and emo culture was kind overwhelming. I disagree with the last one though since most people could only go online on a PC back then unlike everywhere today.

No man, this thread is exactly the way people complain about the 2010s today. It's just proof that people hate every decade while it goes on. The reason you think the 2000s were much better (and I do as well) is because we were kids then. Every decade when you were a kid growing up looks good, but older people will always complain about the present time. The 2000s seem awesome because of nostalgia, but I am a victim of that as well. General atmosphere? All of those things including politics and pop culture make up general atmosphere so there is no difference. Heck, the crime rates have actually decreased this decade in the U.S. so technically it's even safer now. The atmosphere today is not bad objectively speaking, it's just what you feel (and many others do as well but doesn't mean it's actually bad).

Written By: 80sfan on 12/03/17 at 4:08 pm

The early 2000s were fun because I was still a kid. The second half of the 2000s were very dark for me.  :\'( I truly didn't feel like I was living until maybe summer 2009, or after I graduated high school in 2010.

Your era of the mid to late 00's was your version of my 2010's (roughly mid-2009 to early 2016).

Written By: Slim95 on 12/03/17 at 4:11 pm

Your era of the mid to late 00's was your version of my 2010's (roughly mid-2009 to early 2016).

All of the 2000s were good for me, the early 2010s were horrible for me, and the mid to late 2010s were okay for me in terms of my personal life.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/03/17 at 4:13 pm

All of the 2000s were good for me, the early 2010s were horrible for me, and the mid to late 2010s were okay for me in terms of my personal life.

There were already signs that my life was going dark, already, by late 2007. But it got REALLY bad by May/June 2009 for me.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 12/03/17 at 4:26 pm

I experienced almost my entire childhood in the 2000s and I have memories of most years, but I still don't particularly like the 2000s...

Written By: 2001 on 12/03/17 at 4:34 pm

What happened in 2009 in particular?

Written By: 2001 on 12/03/17 at 4:38 pm

Haha, 18 year old mach!ne_he@d sounds 110% like you guys do today when you complain about the 2010s ;D

Written By: Zelek3 on 12/03/17 at 4:47 pm

I love the early-mid 2000s, if only because I was a kid then. I also have fond memories of high school in the late 2000s-early 2010s, mixed in with some dark ones.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/03/17 at 4:48 pm

Haha, 18 year old mach!ne_he@d sounds 110% like you guys do today when you complain about the 2010s ;D

Yeah that's what I was trying to say too! It's almost word for word haha.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/03/17 at 4:51 pm

No man, this thread is exactly the way people complain about the 2010s today. It's just proof that people hate every decade while it goes on. The reason you think the 2000s were much better (and I do as well) is that we were kids then. Every decade when you were a kid growing up looks good, but older people will always complain about the present time. The 2000s seem awesome because of nostalgia, but I am a victim of that as well. General atmosphere? All of those things including politics and pop culture make up the general atmosphere, so there is no difference. Heck, the crime rates have decreased this decade in the U.S. so technically it's even safer now. The atmosphere today is not bad objectively speaking, it's just what you feel (and many others do as well but doesn't mean it's bad).
Actually, I was aware of the 00s atmosphere then so it's not like it was all rainbows and butterflies. Oh, and not everyone had a great childhood, so it's not good to assume that about anyone.

The general vibe was decent except for the politics obviously. When was the last time there was a shooting, bombing, or other terrorist attacks happening every other day in the 00s?  When was the last time people were continuously offended in the 00s? The only terrible about the music scene was the Snap rap and some Emo songs. Everything else was great. Games and the films were diverse regarding everything, unlike today where it's almost one-sided. As for the crime rate, of course, it's lower, but that's because of less gang violence which contributes to a high crime rate, not everything else.

Haha, 18-year-old mach!ne_he@d sounds 110% like you guys do today when you complain about the 2010s ;D
Except most here complaining about today aren't 18 ;)

Written By: Slim95 on 12/03/17 at 5:07 pm

Actually, I was aware of the 00s atmosphere then so it's not like it was all rainbows and butterflies. Oh, and not everyone had a great childhood, so it's not good to assume that about anyone.

The general vibe was decent except for the politics obviously. When was the last time there was a shooting, bombing, or other terrorist attacks happening every other day in the 00s?  When was the last time people were continuously offended in the 00s? The only terrible about the music scene was the Snap rap and some Emo songs. Everything else was great. Games and the films were diverse regarding everything, unlike today where it's almost one-sided. As for the crime rate, of course, it's lower, but that's because of less gang violence which contributes to a high crime rate, not everything else.
Except most here complaining about today aren't 18 ;)

Despite the terrorist attacks there is still overall less violence this decade than the 2000s. It was also bad in the 2000s with the war on terror. And most people like the decade that they were a chuld in for nostalgia reasons. Most people here love the '90s and 2000s because they were kids then so it's natural to like the decade they grew up.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/03/17 at 5:16 pm

Despite the terrorist attacks, there is still overall less violence this decade than the 2000s. It was also bad in the 2000s with the war on terror. And most people like the decade that they were a child in for nostalgia reasons. Most people here love the '90s and 2000s because they were kids then so it's natural to like the decade they grew up.
I already agreed with you on that. Again, there's only a lower crime rate being that there's less gang violence. Terrorist attacks and other violent crime don't drive up the crime rate. Gangs do.

I disagree. There are millions of people who weren't kids in those eras that enjoyed them. You don't have to be a kid to admire a decade.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/03/17 at 5:31 pm

I already agreed with you on that. Again, there's only a lower crime rate being that there's less gang violence. Terrorist attacks and other violent crime don't drive up the crime rate. Gangs do.

I disagree. There are millions of people who weren't kids in those eras that enjoyed them. You don't have to be a kid to admire a decade.

There were terrorist attacks in the 2000s too. Remember 9/11? Sure there are more now, but I personally don't feel like I'm in more danger. Even if I did I wouldn't let it depress me.

Of course there are, but I just don't see as many older people admire decades. They absolutely can but I see more older people hate the decade they live in over admiring it, that's just my observation.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/03/17 at 5:34 pm

There were terrorist attacks in the 2000s too. Remember 9/11? Sure there are more now, but I personally don't feel like I'm in more danger. Even if I did I wouldn't let it depress me.

Of course there are, but I just don't see as many older people admire decades. They absolutely can but I see more older people hate the decade they live in over admiring it, that's just my observation.
Yes, I'm aware there were, but I'm saying that terrorist attacks don't increase the crime rate. Drugs and gangs do that.

Written By: 2001 on 12/03/17 at 8:52 pm

In the 2010s, terrorist attacks are more common but they kill fewer people per attack because they're mostly lone wolves. In the 2000s, terrorist attacks would kill tons of people because they were sophisticated, and in the end, more people died of terrorism in the 2000s.

Compare 7/7 to all the terrorist attacks in the UK in 2017. Maybe 30 people have died in the three separate attacks in 2017, but in 7/7 people 50+ people died even though that was just one attack.

It's the same with 9/11 (3000 dead) and the Madrid bombings (200+ dead iirc).

Written By: Shemp97 on 12/03/17 at 10:24 pm

In the 2010s, terrorist attacks are more common but they kill fewer people per attack because they're mostly lone wolves. In the 2000s, terrorist attacks would kill tons of people because they were sophisticated, and in the end, more people died of terrorism in the 2000s.

Compare 7/7 to all the terrorist attacks in the UK in 2017. Maybe 30 people have died in the three separate attacks in 2017, but in 7/7 people 50+ people died even though that was just one attack.

Are you seriously forgetting the Paris attacks that killed 130 people? Or the countless bombings every month in Asia and Africa? I have never felt concerned for my safety at any previous point in my life till now. ISIS is becoming far more influential to extremists worldwide than Al-Queda ever was.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/03/17 at 10:51 pm

Yup exactly

Are you seriously forgetting the Paris attacks that killed 130 people? Or the countless bombings every month in Asia and Africa? I have never felt concerned for my safety at any previous point in my life till now. ISIS is becoming far more influential to extremists worldwide than Al-Queda ever was.

I think you may be scared more because of fear mongering from the general public, not because of actual threat. The 2000s killed a lot more people overall.

Written By: 2001 on 12/03/17 at 11:52 pm

Of course I haven't forgot. I was actually going to write a whole other paragraph on France, but thought it needlessly complicated. Just compare it to the Madrid bombings. Also I'm going to sound Eurocentric but I think most people here are concerned with terrorist attacks mainly in the West. There were many Islamist terrorist attacks in Asia in the '80s, '90s and 2000s but they don't get brought up.

Also I agree with Slim. Terrorist attacks can happen at any time but it should be towards the bottom of your concerns of random fatal things that can happen to you that day. 2005 was the "Year of the Gun" in Toronto, the 2010s are comparatively much safer even though Toronto's population grew by 250,000 people since then.

https://i.imgur.com/l3GtBpt.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Toronto

2016 was a blip btw, so far this year we have 55 murders up to December 2017.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/04/17 at 3:46 am

It's extremely hard for me to have an objective view on the 00's and 10's, because both have been horrible decades for me, overall. But I would pick the 00's over the 10's any day. But do I actually like the 00's? Yes, I do. 

Life right now, is just getting started for me. I'm guessing that the 2020's will be 'my time'. Like God isn't punishing me anymore.  ;D  ;D  ;D

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/04/17 at 8:43 pm

In the 2010s, terrorist attacks are more common, but they kill fewer people per attack because they're mostly lone wolves. In the 2000s, terrorist attacks would kill tons of people because they were sophisticated, and in the end, more people died of terrorism in the 2000s.

It's the same with 9/11 (3000 dead) and the Madrid bombings (200+ dead IIRC).
I would say they were more experienced considering that they were more prepared under the leadership of Al-Queda and Osama, and the fact terrorist attacks in the 00s were rarer which made people less aware compared to now. I agree they are more common today, but I was just saying that they don't drive up the crime rate. Drugs and gangs do that because they come in groups rather than as individuals.

ISIS is becoming far more influential to extremists worldwide than Al-Queda ever was.
This!! Every time I hear a terrorist attack on the news, ISIS is almost always responsible for them.

Written By: 2001 on 12/04/17 at 9:02 pm

I would say they were more experienced considering that they were more prepared under the leadership of Al-Queda and Osama, and the fact terrorist attacks in the 00s were rarer which made people less aware compared to now. I agree they are more common today, but I was just saying that they don't drive up the crime rate. Drugs and gangs do that because they come in groups rather than as individuals.

Terrorism is included in crime/homicide rates.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/14/17 at 7:02 pm

I like it. I can't believe that George W. Bush was the leading figure of the decade, though.  :D  :D  :D

Written By: ofkx on 12/15/17 at 3:22 am

This!! Every time I hear a terrorist attack on the news, ISIS is almost always responsible for them.

ISIS is barely a thing now though fortunately. They're a lot weaker than they were.

Written By: christopher on 12/15/17 at 3:28 am

For my personal life 2000 was great, 2001 was fine, 2002 terrible, 2003 great, 2004 so-so, 2005-2009 were bad and I was battling anxiety. In general the decade as a whole was turbulent for me and meh.

Didn't follow much music in 2000-early 2001. Started watching music videos in 2002 and I was highly aware of the pop hits in 2003-2008. Pop culture sucked in 2005-2007 and improved in 2008 with Lady Gaga changing the pop landscape. A fun fact: when I saw one of Gaga's first videos (was it Just Dance?) where her face was masked I thought she will be a singer that always appears masked like Daft Punk. Anyway, I digress. In 2007-2008 I decided to stop watching VH1 so when I heard Poker Face on the radio I was blown away by how better it sounded than music back then. I still hate most 2005-2007 songs like Umbrella and Lucky you. I also saw the music video of and I was sporadically watching music videos in 2009-2012. In 2013 I went on a digital detox so I only discovered new music from commercials and TV series or on the radio.

Check for new replies or respond here...