inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Smash Hits magazine is due to close

Written By: Stompgal on 02/02/06 at 1:48 pm

This music magazine hit the shelves in 1978 and the issue on sale at the moment is the very last one. The only music magazines that I read other than Smash Hits are Top of the Pops and TV Hits. If you've ever read Smash Hits, post your thoughts on the magazine here.

Subject: Re: Smash Hits magazine is due to close

Written By: FaultyDog on 02/02/06 at 3:30 pm

Oh man - this is sad news! :\'( Smash Hits was awesome! (Well, back in the late 80s/early 90s anyway)
I loved to read Dear Mr. Black Type (sp?) and these "name games" they did (remember Patrick "Swizzle" Swayze, "Tiffers" Tiffany and of course Alan "Wild"er (quote: "crazy name, crazy guy")). It was a bad decision IMO when they decided to cut back on those comments and most of the fun was banned. That must've been the beginning of the end.

Written By: whistledog on 02/02/06 at 3:41 pm

I never read the actual magazine, but I always watch the "Smash Hits Poll Winners Party" concerts they air on TV

Written By: Paul on 02/03/06 at 6:57 am

I never read it, but I was always aware of its presence...

It was a bit 'weenybop' for my tastes, but I can sympathise with the long-standing readers of the magazine...

I used to read 'Record Mirror' for many, many years during the 80s and, one day in 1992, that hit the skids just as quickly...

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/05/06 at 3:03 pm

Blame the Internet.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/05/06 at 3:23 pm

I never read it, but I was always aware of its presence...

It was a bit 'weenybop' for my tastes, but I can sympathise with the long-standing readers of the magazine...

I used to read 'Record Mirror' for many, many years during the 80s and, one day in 1992, that hit the skids just as quickly...
'Record Mirror' was my read, and proved to me a shock too, I even unknowingly brought a second copy of the last edition thinking it was the next week edition.

Check for new replies or respond here...