inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: If Vh1 ever did an I Love the 2000's

Written By: Daveyd989 on 02/11/06 at 5:19 pm

If Vh1 ever did an I Love the 2000's what do u guys think they would talk about for each year?

Subject: Re: If Vh1 ever did an I Love the 2000's

Written By: Zoso on 02/11/06 at 9:03 pm

Pop and pop-dance music is popular

Music downloads hurt CD sales, without Napster coming into popularity
Rage rock, pop punk, hard rock, numetal and similiar styles come to popularuty (e.g. System of a Down, Tool, Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, Korn)

Garage rock and alternative bands come to popularity (e.g. The Vines, The Strokes, The White Stripes, The Hives and Wilco) probably the highest peak in musical and artistic quality of the whole decade.
To the contrary, hip hop comes to popularity (50 Cent and Eminem are huge)
Pop punk also becomes even more populary with Avril Lavigne, Simple Plan and Good Charlotte releasing hits
Rap/Sung collaborations reach an all time high in popularity, through singles such as Jennifer Lopez and Ja Rule's "Ain't It Funny", Ashanti, Ja Rule's "Always On Time", and Nelly and Kelly Rowland's "Dilemma".

Hip hop and pop punk are even more popular
Garage rock bands enjoy some mild success
The Ipod is introduced
Michael Jackson is arrested on (what turned out to be false) charges of child molestation.

Music becomes more political
New Wave makes a comeback (e.g. Franz Ferdinand and The Killer)
The Ipod mini is released

Live 8 concerts
Emo comes into popularity (e.g. My Chemical Romance, Coheed & Cambria and Yellowcard)
Mariah Carey, Madonna and Backstreet Boys enjoy come backs
Michael Jackson is found innocent of child molestation

Madonna's success continues
Prince's new music enjoys critical acclaim even before the album is released

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/11/06 at 11:57 pm

Think you're a 2000's fan? Get a load of these years:

I Love 2000:
- The Thong Song and "Who Let the Dogs Out?" (the tunes)
- Gladiator, the Patriot, X-Men, Scary Movie, Coyote Ugly, Meet the Parents (the flicks)
- Malcolm in the Middle and Jackass (the TV)
- The "Whazuuuup" commercials (the fads)
- The elections with the recount in FL (the news)

I Love 2001:
- "Family Affair" by Mary J. Blige and "Get Ur Freak On" by Missy, plus Ja Rule, Eve, and Dido (the tunes)
- Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, and A.I. (the flicks)
- Smallville and Gilmore Girls (the TV)
- The Cha-Cha (the fads)
- 9/11 (the news)

I Love 2002:
- Nelly, Ashanti, Kylie Minogue, Shakira (the tunes)
- Spiderman, 8 Mile, Signs, the Ring, and Antoine Fisher (the flicks)
- The Osbournes, and the Bachelor (the TV)
- American Idol (the fads)
- Enron, War on Terror, Martha Stewart, and the D.C. sniper (the news)

I Love 2003:
- 50 Cent, Beyonce, Jay-Z, Outkast, and Avril Lavigne (the tunes)
- T3, Pirates of the Carribbean, the Hulk, and LOTR 3 (the flicks)
- The OC, One Tree Hill, Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, and A Simple Life (the TV)
- iPods and camera phones (the fads)
- War in Iraq, Arnold elected governer of CA, the SARS scare, and Kobe Bryant's rape trial (the news)

I Love 2004:
- Usher, Kanye West, Black Eyed Peas, and Ashlee Simpson (the tunes)
- Passion, I-Robot, Ray, Million Dollar Baby, 13 Going on 30, Mean Girls, and Napoleon Dynamite (the flicks)
- Laguna Beach, Pimp My Ride, Desperate Housewives, the Apprentice, and Lost (the TV)
- Bobble-heads and Lil' Jon impressions (the fads)
- The tsunami in Asia, the Bush vs. Kerry elections, and the wardrobe malfunction at the Superbowl (the news)
- William Hung and Lindsay Lohan (the pop-culture)

I Love 2005:
- Gwen Stefani, Mariah Carey, Kanye West, Green Day, and Kelly Clarkson (the tunes)
- Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, Hitch, Sin City, Crash, Cinderella Man, Batman Begins (the flicks)
- American Dad, Stacked, the War at Home, My Name is Earl, Mind of Mencia, Everybody Hates Chris (the TV)
- PSP and X-Box 360 (the fads)
- Hurricane Katrina, the Michael Jackson trial, and Pope Benedict (the news)
- Paris Hilton burger commercial, Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes, Brangelina (the pop-culture)

I Love 2006: (still too early to determine. I think Superman Returns and the Da Vinci Code will be the flicks)     

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/12/06 at 12:01 am

I think there will be enough material to make 3 series of "I Love the 2000's". The second one should be called "I Love the 2000's: Reloaded" (like "Matrix: Reloaded"). Also, Ryan Seacrest should speak at the end of each episode giving the final summary of the entire episode, and signing off with his signature phrase, "Seacrest...out!"

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/12/06 at 1:17 am

I think there will be enough material to make 3 series of "I Love the 2000's". The second one should be called "I Love the 2000's: Reloaded" (like "Matrix: Reloaded"). Also, Ryan Seacrest should speak at the end of each episode giving the final summary of the entire episode, and signing off with his signature phrase, "Seacrest...out!"

How about "I Love The '90s: Part Deux?"  ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/12/06 at 11:41 am

It probally won't be until 201 something or other, before we find out for sure!  ;D

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/16/06 at 11:19 am

The good thing about this is the youth of the 2020's will get to see how bad the 2000's really were ;D

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/16/06 at 6:18 pm

Hah! I think now the image of the '80s is distorted by "I Love the '80s"-living in most decades is very little like its pop culture.

Check for new replies or respond here...