inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Cannibal Corpse

Written By: Tia on 02/14/06 at 9:35 pm

okay, technically, it's a trick question, but if you think they suck vote "yes" and it'll be counted as a "no." i promise.

i'm tired of PMing strangers to recommend them so i felt like i ought to start a poll.

The correct answer is "hell yes." But please, no hotlinked album covers!

Subject: Re: Cannibal Corpse

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 02/14/06 at 10:58 pm

Subject: Re: Cannibal Corpse vs. Six Feet Under
Written By: AL-B on 02/07/05 at 9:16:06

You know, I don't know that much about Cannibal Corpse nor am I a particularly big fan of their music. However, around 1991-92 I was in the Army stationed in Germany, and one of my Army buddies and I had this German friend who was into death metal. He took us to a small club in Dortmund (about 100 miles north of where we were stationed) to see Cannibal Corpse. My Army friend and our German friend were really into death metal, I thought it was OK but I went along more just to hang out and have a good time. As it turned out, me and my Army friend were the only Americans there (there were about 75 to 100 people there in all), and after the show Cannibal Corpse stuck around and had a few beers with us for about 1/2 hour, and I remember that they were a bunch of really nice guys.

(Wish you could've been there, jiminy!)

Written By: Tia on 02/14/06 at 11:03 pm

i wish i coulda been there, jiminy.

Written By: La Roche on 02/14/06 at 11:08 pm

I saw Corpse in Holland once, at a club near Utrecht.
Didn't actually speak to them myself but they really got involved with the crowd.

Corpse are possibly one of the best bands ever. No doubt, John, Paul and who?

Written By: Tia on 02/15/06 at 11:17 am

oi. i didn't get sauced and start a cannibal corpse thread last night, did i?

anyway, make sure and vote. it's your duty as an american. or as a whatever you are.

Written By: STAR70 on 02/15/06 at 5:56 pm

Cannibal Corpse was from the last millenium.

I like "Seeing through the eyes of the dead"

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/15/06 at 9:32 pm

I'm not a Metal fan, but Cannibal Corpse is a nifty name!

Written By: Tia on 02/15/06 at 10:15 pm

they're still around though, yeah? i believe so.

Written By: STAR70 on 02/16/06 at 3:56 pm

yup. I first heard of Cannible Corpse in '92, from Ricky Rachtman

Written By: Tia on 02/24/06 at 10:41 am

Okay, just got cannibal corpse's "tomb of the mutilated" last night and it's

Written By: KKay on 02/24/06 at 10:46 am

I dig it.
I just went to read some lyrics and although I've always enjoyed lunatic rantings of this kind of stuff, it's a little repetitive.
I think they need a thesaurus.
Besides that, I think the word is ...ROCK

Written By: Tia on 02/24/06 at 10:57 am

I dig it.
I just went to read some lyrics and although I've always enjoyed lunatic rantings of this kind of stuff, it's a little repetitive.
I think they need a thesaurus.
Besides that, I think the word is ...ROCK
They keep making me think, great green gobs of greasy grimy gopher guts. And yes, there's a certain theme that seems to keep popping up over and over, this whole ed gein thing. it's like they're depending on you continuing to be perpetually shocked by it, but after a while it wears off and they really need to shock you with something different. But they don't. cuz from all that slimy gore stuff, where do you go?

Read the lyrics to "angel of death," the slayer song from the 80s. really CC isn't any more shocking than that, and AoD is a real classic in the genre. I'm thinking death metal had its heyday in the 80s now. the dark angel album "time does not heal" is really good. The vocals aren't nearly as cool as CC but they are tight. Tight. Tight. It's like they have a PhD in that double-bass-drum thing.

HuG is still my favorite of the bunch though. Ausgeflippt is this tone poem about 2001: A Space Odyssey and lots of flying saucer stuff. I seem to really fixate on anything having to do with UFOs. (don't get me started on the movie "starship invasions"! my work desktop picture is a screencap from starship invasions.) I guess that means I'm crazy. Oh, well, I'd had my suspicions, naturally.

And now I really must work. I really, really must.

Written By: KKay on 02/24/06 at 10:59 am

They keep making me think, great green gobs of greasy grimy gopher guts. And yes, there's a certain theme that seems to keep popping up over

Ohhh.. I am going to lunch now...but share more flying saucer stuff with me...you can PM a link or something? you know taht''s  an interest taht we share.....
man. look at that. typing is obviously not one of my interests.
see you later

Written By: Tia on 02/24/06 at 11:35 am

Ohhh.. I am going to lunch now...but share more flying saucer stuff with me...you can PM a link or something? you know taht''s  an interest taht we share.....
man. look at that. typing is obviously not one of my interests.
see you later
you know, maybe that heaven's gate thing actually worked. there's really no way we would know, when you think about it.

Written By: La Roche on 02/24/06 at 12:36 pm

They keep making me think, great green gobs of greasy grimy gopher guts. And yes, there's a certain theme that seems to keep popping up over and over, this whole ed gein thing. it's like they're depending on you continuing to be perpetually shocked by it, but after a while it wears off and they really need to shock you with something different. But they don't. cuz from all that slimy gore stuff, where do you go?

Read the lyrics to "angel of death," the slayer song from the 80s. really CC isn't any more shocking than that, and AoD is a real classic in the genre. I'm thinking death metal had its heyday in the 80s now. the dark angel album "time does not heal" is really good. The vocals aren't nearly as cool as CC but they are tight. Tight. Tight. It's like they have a PhD in that double-bass-drum thing.

HuG is still my favorite of the bunch though. Ausgeflippt is this tone poem about 2001: A Space Odyssey and lots of flying saucer stuff. I seem to really fixate on anything having to do with UFOs. (don't get me started on the movie "starship invasions"! my work desktop picture is a screencap from starship invasions.) I guess that means I'm crazy. Oh, well, I'd had my suspicions, naturally.

AoD isn't Death Metal  ??? You strange retarded layabout communist.

It's the preeminent Thrash masterpiece.

Written By: KKay on 02/24/06 at 12:38 pm

AoD isn't Death Metal  ??? You strange retarded layabout communist.

Hey! my friend's not a communist!

Any time, man. Anytime.

Written By: La Roche on 02/24/06 at 12:40 pm

Any time, man. Anytime.

:o He hasn't told you!!

Come child, take a seat and the angel Doctor will be right with you.

Written By: Tia on 02/24/06 at 12:44 pm

You strange retarded layabout communist.

I believe that's the nicest thing you've ever said to me. I love getting called retarded by someone who can't spell "eugenics."

See, when I think of thrash, I think of metallica, megadeth, pantera. Totally different. But now that I know there's doom metal, goth metal, black metal, stoner metal, nu metal, melodic death metal, gah, can't be bothered to parse that stuff out. sorry. If you sing about sucking someone's brains out with a tube, that makes you death metal.

Written By: KKay on 02/24/06 at 12:47 pm

:o He hasn't told you!!

Come child, take a seat and the angel Doctor will be right with you.

Suddenly, I feel like this:
http://bizarrerecords.com/galleries/children/Pylelistenson.jpg]

Written By: KKay on 02/24/06 at 12:48 pm

If you sing about sucking someone's brains out with a tube, that makes you death metal.

Or if you're norwegian like me! :)

Written By: La Roche on 02/24/06 at 12:50 pm

I believe that's the nicest thing you've ever said to me. I love getting called retarded by someone who can't spell "eugenics."

See, when I think of thrash, I think of metallica, megadeth, pantera. Totally different. But now that I know there's doom metal, goth metal, black metal, stoner metal, nu metal, melodic death metal, gah, can't be bothered to parse that stuff out. sorry. If you sing about sucking someone's brains out with a tube, that makes you death metal.

;D Thanks Mike.

On a serious note. Slayer are pretty much the Godfathers of Thrash. The whole thrash scene progressed from the NWOBHM.. Priest, Maiden, Head.. dare I even say, Def Leppard (who at one point we're conside rd pretty metal). The thrash scene basically grew from bands like Metallica & Slayer saying, wow, this sheesh's cool, let's play it even faster. In the case of Slayer, Hanneman's Punk routes are fairly obvious. That's where the big difference in sound comes from. If you listen to some Metallica with Kirk (as opposed to Dave) you can basically hear the Satriani influx, the technical mastery. You listen to Slayer with Jeff and Kerry, it's just aggressive and fast. Sure you'll occasionally hear Jeff rip something phenomenal out but it's mainly about speed and aggression. As Kerry calls it 'Guitar Abuse'.

I'll give you the rundown on some different scenes later.

Or if you're norwegian like me! :)

How tall?

Written By: DaChazman on 02/24/06 at 12:59 pm

I'm afraid to admit that I like Cannibal Corpse. It's the kinda music you listen to when you need to blow off some steam. Their lyrics are terrible, and the lead singer sounds like he's gargling diarrhea, but I don't know, I like them.

"IIII WILLL CUT YOUR HEAD OPEN, AND SUCK OUT YOUR EYYYYYYES AND EAT YOUR BRAIN WITH A SPOOOOOOON"

Written By: KKay on 02/24/06 at 1:00 pm

How tall?

btw 5'8"

Written By: La Roche on 02/24/06 at 1:07 pm

I'm afraid to admit that I like Cannibal Corpse. It's the kinda music you listen to when you need to blow off some steam. Their lyrics are terrible, and the lead singer sounds like he's gargling diarrhea, but I don't know, I like them.

"IIII WILLL CUT YOUR HEAD OPEN, AND SUCK OUT YOUR EYYYYYYES AND EAT YOUR BRAIN WITH A SPOOOOOOON"

It's thought provoking and makes me cry.

btw 5'8"

Welcome to the Aryan race

Written By: KKay on 02/24/06 at 1:21 pm

Welcome to the Aryan race

yeah, I was welcomed to that on 11/22 in a sunny hospital room.  Being norse has its advantages; I run out of spices- I burn down your village and take what I need.  Sometimes people have to be reminded. 

So, you see, i"M not really a party member, just a descendent of capitulators.

Written By: Tia on 02/24/06 at 1:36 pm

Any time, man. Anytime.
well, i'm not EXACTLY a communist but

http://live.cgcu.net/news/images/newspic105.jpg

i sure do love me a winning team, i tell ya.

Written By: KKay on 02/24/06 at 1:37 pm

well, i'm not EXACTLY a communist but

http://live.cgcu.net/news/images/newspic105.jpg

i sure do love me a winning team, i tell ya.

Can you tell me where that image came from?
and you are going to get heavy fire for that post.

Written By: Tia on 02/24/06 at 2:05 pm

Can you tell me where that image came from?

Just look up "flattened" in the dictionary. That photo should be right there, since it pretty much defines the word.

But seriously. It was a google search, right-click and do "properties." I like how the flag is retouched to be redder. Someone out there loves their stalin, yo. Fo schnozzle.

Written By: KKay on 02/24/06 at 2:08 pm

Just look up "flattened" in the dictionary. That photo should be right there, since it pretty much defines the word.

But seriously. It was a google search, right-click and do "properties." I like how the flag is retouched to be redder. Someone out there loves their stalin, yo. Fo schnozzle.

I'm all about copying the images...yo.

I like that retouched flag, too. I"m trying to think of a picture that I can manipulate that will be as important to me as yours is to you.
hmm

Written By: La Roche on 02/24/06 at 2:29 pm

yeah, I was welcomed to that on 11/22 in a sunny hospital room.  Being norse has its advantages; I run out of spices- I burn down your village and take what I need.  Sometimes people have to be reminded. 

So, you see, i"M not really a party member, just a descendent of capitulators.

Plus you get to wear cool hats.

Written By: KKay on 02/24/06 at 2:30 pm

Plus you get to wear cool hats.

There is no downside!

Written By: La Roche on 02/24/06 at 2:31 pm

There is no downside!

Apart from the whole having to die in battle thing.

It must be hard to find a good battle these days.

Written By: KKay on 02/24/06 at 2:32 pm

Apart from the whole having to die in battle thing.

It must be hard to find a good battle these days.

You've run through one monk, you've run through them all. Yawn.

Written By: KKay on 02/24/06 at 3:08 pm

You boys will love this...
http://www.co.clark.nv.us/coroner/unidentified/photos/unid_photo.htm

Written By: Tia on 02/24/06 at 3:13 pm

You boys will love this...
http://www.co.clark.nv.us/coroner/unidentified/photos/unid_photo.htm
dag. sorta reminds me of when they found hitler and he was so messed up they weren't sure it was him.

Written By: KKay on 02/24/06 at 3:30 pm

dag. sorta reminds me of when they found hitler and he was so messed up they weren't sure it was him.

i was browsing through that one time and found the description "legs found in suitcase about 100yds down highway"
jeeesh!

Written By: Tia on 02/24/06 at 6:01 pm

I'm all about copying the images...yo.

I like that retouched flag, too. I"m trying to think of a picture that I can manipulate that will be as important to me as yours is to you.
hmm

I googled "Norwegian military victory" and this is the only image I could come up with.

http://www.dangerhere.com/issues/issue28-261101/Hotshot_Hamish.jpg

???

hang on. let me try "Norwegian massacre." Something else to come up on the autocomplete in the work computer.

Written By: Tia on 02/24/06 at 6:04 pm

Okay, "Norwegian massacre" yielded

http://home.online.no/~jfuruly/salmon/gyro.jpg

?????????????????????????????????????????

and also a lot of death metal album covers. Winding us back around to our thread topic, here.

Written By: KKay on 02/27/06 at 9:17 am

Okay, "Norwegian massacre" yielded

http://home.online.no/~jfuruly/salmon/gyro.jpg

Hey! Grandad!

Very strange results...I"m going to see what I can find.

Written By: KKay on 02/27/06 at 9:46 am

That's what I"m talking about!
http://www.fife.50megs.com/img/Viking%20raid%202.jpg

Written By: KKay on 02/27/06 at 9:48 am

I love the internet...
http://www.intercollege.se/viking/VikingProject2/thesis.jpg

Written By: La Roche on 02/27/06 at 1:52 pm

Or..

http://www.hedgehogceramics.ca/erik-fr.JPG

That's definatly more you Kay.

Written By: Tia on 02/27/06 at 2:55 pm

I love the internet...
http://www.intercollege.se/viking/VikingProject2/thesis.jpg
Whoever did this picture seems like she might still be upset about it. how?! How could something like this happen?!? HOW???!!?!

um, eleventh century? Let's keep things in perspective, people.

Written By: KKay on 02/27/06 at 2:59 pm

Whoever did this picture seems like she might still be upset about it. how?! How could something like this happen?!? HOW???!!?!

um, eleventh century? Let's keep things in perspective, people.

yeah- it was form an online PHD dissertation or something....yeah, get it off your chest and get a degree at the same time

Check for new replies or respond here...