inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Rap's Decline

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/15/06 at 5:52 pm

When will rap begin its decline? You know it'll happen sooner or later...i'm guessing '07.

Subject: Re: Rap's Decline

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/15/06 at 9:47 pm

In ever respect but sales, I'm afraid rap began its decline in twenty years earlier than you predicted....with LL Cool J and 2Live Crew in 1987!

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 02/15/06 at 11:32 pm

It's already dead. It just all Corporate Rap (ie: not real rap) or C-Rap now.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/15/06 at 11:34 pm

When will rap begin its decline? You know it'll happen sooner or later...i'm guessing '07.

I think 2007 will be the last big year for rap. The decline will begin in '08 and continue into '09. Rap will pretty much be dead by 2010.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/15/06 at 11:36 pm

It's already dead. It just all Corporate Rap (ie: not real rap) or C-Rap now.

lol. yeah I call it glam rap. I think thats a pretty appropriate name.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/16/06 at 12:44 am

lol. yeah I call it glam rap. I think thats a pretty appropriate name.

I think that makes sense.  Essentially, it's lyrically like hair metal, only with gangsta sheesh and bling.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/16/06 at 10:30 am

I think that makes sense.  Essentially, it's lyrically like hair metal, only with gangsta sheesh and bling.

I'd agree with the hair metal comparison except I would by a thousand Poison records over one 50 Cent record. ;D

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/16/06 at 12:21 pm

Yeah...that's something I've noticed. Rap lost its core urban audience and is now made to appeal to suburban white kids who like to listen to it while they get drunk at house parties. Also, the glam rap-hair metal comparison could easily be made as an '80s-'00s thing.

Written By: SarahJane87 on 02/16/06 at 12:40 pm

Didn't gangsta rap start to die out a couple years ago? I hope rap dies out soon!

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/16/06 at 1:49 pm

Yeah...that's something I've noticed. Rap lost its core urban audience and is now made to appeal to suburban white kids who like to listen to it while they get drunk at house parties. Also, the glam rap-hair metal comparison could easily be made as an '80s-'00s thing.

Thats another good comparison because heavy metal lost a lot of its core audience when it went mainstream and I'd say that rap has done the same since it went mainstream. A lot of the rap purists probably listen to underground stuff.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/16/06 at 3:13 pm

Thats another good comparison because heavy metal lost a lot of its core audience when it went mainstream and I'd say that rap has done the same since it went mainstream. A lot of the rap purists probably listen to underground stuff.

That's totally correct.  A significant (although I can't say big) minority of hip hop fans listen solely to "Concious hip hop" and old school, which has the Hip Hop elements of graffiti, b-boying, etc., and even some of the "gangsta" thing in some cases, but while remaining positive-minded and optimistic.  I love the friendly attitude of underground hip hop people. 

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/16/06 at 6:17 pm

Yeah, I think if rap goes on past 2008/2009 it's going to be in a more old-school form, with an old-school 80s/90s revival.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/17/06 at 12:31 pm

Bump.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/17/06 at 3:04 pm

Modern hip hop will last to 2012, and then either the world will end, or they'll be a hip hop renaissance.  Then, "Alternative hip hop" will be like "Alternative Rock" is now, and rock and roll will again be King.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/17/06 at 3:07 pm

So when do you think interest in rap will start to decline exactly, Donnie Darko? 2007/2008? Rap as it is now, that is.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/17/06 at 3:10 pm

So when do you think interest in rap will start to decline exactly, Donnie Darko? 2007/2008? Rap as it is now, that is.

Yeah, about 2007 or 2008. It will be dead by 2011-2013. 

I'd say '00s rap hit its peak in 2004, and now it's just barely below it.

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/19/06 at 12:04 pm

I think the mix of rap with techno/house/dance music will come back in '07. I also think we will see more of a mix between hip-hop and alternative, like we did in '05.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/19/06 at 3:04 pm

Yeah, about 2007 or 2008. It will be dead by 2011-2013. 

I'd say '00s rap hit its peak in 2004, and now it's just barely below it.

Yeah '04 did seem like current rap's peak year with Usher(who I lump in with rap) and lil John's song being #1 for like the whole year ;D
When American Idiot came out and knock Usher off the top spot I think that started a slight decline.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/19/06 at 4:54 pm

Yeah '04 did seem like current rap's peak year with Usher(who I lump in with rap) and lil John's song being #1 for like the whole year ;D
When American Idiot came out and knock Usher off the top spot I think that started a slight decline.

I think so too.  It almost seems like rock and roll is making a very slow comeback.  Especially the "indie rock" movement and the emo. 

Let's cross our fingers that "Laffy Taffy" and "Grillz" are the "Cherry Pie" and Nelson of glam rap.

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/19/06 at 5:01 pm

2004 was the peak of the rap era or whatever you want to call it, it has been on a slight decline since. It will take until around 2008 or 09 to really notice some real change though. Though I prefer a lot of the hip-hop from 2004 over stuff like Grillz and Laffy Taffy. D4L is probably one of the worst groups/artists ever in hip-hop. Nelly has sucked for a while now. Dem Franchize Boyz also are pretty annoying.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/19/06 at 5:08 pm

You know rap is on the way out, when they're rapping about teeth.  That must be the end of the road, right?  When you get to teeth..............you're pretty much just counting down the seconds.

Rap has done nothing but give people the okay to call women bitches and hos.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/19/06 at 8:25 pm

I think so too.  It almost seems like rock and roll is making a very slow comeback.  Especially the "indie rock" movement and the emo. 

Let's cross our fingers that "Laffy Taffy" and "Grillz" are the "Cherry Pie" and Nelson of glam rap.

It does seem like rap has gotten to the point were it has just become laughable. The same thing happened to hair metal in 1990 and we all know what happened the next year.....

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/19/06 at 8:44 pm

It does seem like rap has gotten to the point were it has just become laughable. The same thing happened to hair metal in 1990 and we all know what happened the next year.....

Nirvana.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/19/06 at 8:49 pm

Nirvana.

Believe it or not I actually like some hair metal songs. I think its just because the peak of hair metal was around the time I was born so when I hear those songs it makes me think about those times. I think if I would have been my age now in the late-80's I probably would feel the same way about hair metal as I do rap now.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/19/06 at 9:12 pm

Believe it or not I actually like some hair metal songs. I think its just because the peak of hair metal was around the time I was born so when I hear those songs it makes me think about those times. I think if I would have been my age now in the late-80's I probably would feel the same way about hair metal as I do rap now.

Well yeah, there's a couple of hair metal songs I like, but as a whole.......I don't care much for the genre (was it even a genre?).

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/19/06 at 9:45 pm

I think that glam rap and hair metal have always been very silly genres. I mean, the great majority of '80s music was extremely, extremely silly. I just think it started to become obvious how silly hair metal was in the late '80s and it's soon going to become obvious how silly glam rap is. Yeah, there're some good early hair metal songs-Sister Christian by Night Ranger is probably one of the best.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/20/06 at 12:22 am

Well yeah, there's a couple of hair metal songs I like, but as a whole.......I don't care much for the genre (was it even a genre?).

No I dont really think hair metal is a seprate genre. Its pretty much just glam rock except about women, fast cars, etc. I'm not a huge fan the only "hair metal" cd I own is by Guns N' Roses but there are some songs I like.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/20/06 at 12:25 am

I think that glam rap and hair metal have always been very silly genres. I mean, the great majority of '80s music was extremely, extremely silly. I just think it started to become obvious how silly hair metal was in the late '80s and it's soon going to become obvious how silly glam rap is. Yeah, there're some good early hair metal songs-Sister Christian by Night Ranger is probably one of the best.

Yeah by 1990 people had pretty much had there fill of hair metal with "Cherry Pie" by Warrant being the song that really made everybody start to turn against it IMO. I think that'll be the downfall of glam rap, when people get to that same moment where everyone realises "What have we spent the last decade listening too?" When that happens it'll get dropped like a ton of bricks ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/20/06 at 12:58 am

Yeah by 1990 people had pretty much had there fill of hair metal with "Cherry Pie" by Warrant being the song that really made everybody start to turn against it IMO. I think that'll be the downfall of glam rap, when people get to that same moment where everyone realises "What have we spent the last decade listening too?" When that happens it'll get dropped like a ton of bricks ;D

I think so too.

At least nu metal is dead.  Papa Roach's "Scars" kind of demonstrates this.  The radio stations played the hell out of it, but it seems like the only people that buy it are people that worship the radio and Papa Roach's fan base.  Nu metal isn't trendy anymore the way emo is.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/20/06 at 1:03 am

I think so too.

At least nu metal is dead.  Papa Roach's "Scars" kind of demonstrates this.  The radio stations played the hell out of it, but it seems like the only people that buy it are people that worship the radio and Papa Roach's fan base.  Nu metal isn't trendy anymore the way emo is.

Yeah nu metal is pretty much dead in the water now but's its really been heading in that direction for a few years now. Heck even Papa Roach took a slight turn toward pop-punk with there last album.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/20/06 at 1:04 am

Emo is just as worthlessly manufactured and trendy as nu metal...I seriously believe it was made by the record companies to get in touch with today's terminally self-absorbed teens, it gets all sorts of "hip" graphics and irony to it to make snotty, depressed teens think they're smart when buying it.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/20/06 at 1:08 am

Emo is just as worthlessly manufactured and trendy as nu metal...I seriously believe it was made by the record companies to get in touch with today's terminally self-absorbed teens, it gets all sorts of "hip" graphics and irony to it to make snotty, depressed teens think they're smart when buying it.

I agree.

I heard someone say online that it was "Boys crying in the dark".  That's the PERFECT way to describe it.  ;D

Although I do like some emo-ish things, like obviously Donnie Darko and I like the Killers and Weezer too.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/20/06 at 1:12 am

I agree.

I heard someone say online that it was "Boys crying in the dark".  That's the PERFECT way to describe it.  ;D

Although I do like some emo-ish things, like obviously Donnie Darko and I like the Killers and Weezer too.

I like the Killers and Weezer too. Not all emo is bad I just dont like the whole "emo-scene"

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/20/06 at 1:13 am

I like the Killers and Weezer too. Not all emo is bad I just dont like the whole "emo-scene"

I'd agree.

Although I have to say, at least it's different.  At least it gives the '00s some sort of theme, even if it's a sucky one.  Crappy stuff often makes the best nostalgia.

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/20/06 at 1:14 am

They're emo?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/20/06 at 1:16 am

I'd agree.

Although I have to say, at least it's different.  At least it gives the '00s some sort of theme, even if it's a sucky one.  Crappy stuff often makes the best nostalgia.

Yeah emo has been one of the only distinctive things about this decade.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/20/06 at 1:19 am

I love Weezer.  Their new album is fantastic.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/20/06 at 1:25 am

They're emo?

Well, not exactly.  But the emo people dig them.

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/20/06 at 1:28 am

Well, not exactly.  But the emo people dig them.

Yea come to think of it I remember that one emo girl with the Killers shirt on. I do like some emo music, but I'm not emo, if that makes any sense.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/20/06 at 1:33 am

Yea come to think of it I remember that one emo girl with the Killers shirt on. I do like some emo music, but I'm not emo, if that makes any sense.

I'm the same way.  Even Fall Out Boy are kind of good, if only because they're so catchy.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/20/06 at 1:34 am

Trying to fit trends into a sociological context is pretty damn fun. The '80s was the final blow to '60s consciousness. Emo is a long-term reaction to September 11th and all the subsequent '00s events by Generation Y. Until then, we were essentially carefree and had experienced some of the best times in American history in the '80s and '90s. We have been forced to confront that we are only made of materialistic pop culture and unable to separate ourselves from it, so we have produced emo to validate our feelings of self-hatred and degradation while staying within the commercial context we know and love.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 02/21/06 at 1:30 am

2007 sounds so far away, but that's less than a year from now, so heck, if that's the case - I'll be one happy camper. I have seen a decline for sometime, but for some reason it still sticks around like a sore thumb. I thought with Outkast, rap may start taking a turn for the better, but it still sounds like crap for the most part.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/21/06 at 1:35 am

2007 sounds so far away, but that's less than a year from now, so heck, if that's the case - I'll be one happy camper. I have seen a decline for sometime, but for some reason it still sticks around like a sore thumb. I thought with Outkast, rap may start taking a turn for the better, but it still sounds like crap for the most part.

I think it's huge now, but close to an end.  It's been at its current popularity for about 5 years, but I think 2008ish will be the beginning of a backlash.  Then they'll be a "alternative hip hop" revolution, and Hip Hop will have the same fate Modern Rock has now.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/21/06 at 10:58 am

Yeah I'd say that a real noticable decline will begin in 2007 and the backlash against it will begin 2008/'09.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/21/06 at 3:05 pm

Yeah I'd say that a real noticable decline will begin in 2007 and the backlash against it will begin 2008/'09.

I think so too.

Eventually, something will come along that's so stupid it will wake people up.  Besides, Gen Z will probably have better taste than us anyways :)

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/21/06 at 3:32 pm

What makes us have such bad taste, anyway?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/21/06 at 4:08 pm

What makes us have such bad taste, anyway?

Well, you and me don't, but Y in general likes dumb stuff like Emo, nu metal and glam rap.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/21/06 at 5:37 pm

I think it's never having been exposed to anything decent and never having had to distrust corporate America, so most of us just love what they throw at us. Nu metal was more early Gen-Y, it's not that popular anymore, but I remember when it was and I think it was just about the worst sheesh on the face of the planet.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/21/06 at 6:06 pm

I think it's never having been exposed to anything decent and never having had to distrust corporate America, so most of us just love what they throw at us. Nu metal was more early Gen-Y, it's not that popular anymore, but I remember when it was and I think it was just about the worst sheesh on the face of the planet.

Yeah Nu Metal hit it's peak in '98,'99 with Korn and Limp Bizkit.

Written By: Brian06 on 10/26/06 at 2:15 am

Hip-hop is not gonna go anywhere for a while in the US anyway, rap hip-hop has probably weakened a bit, but pseudo hip-hop pop (like Promiscuous, Buttons, SexyBack, Show Stopper, etc) will continue to remain very popular along with today's hip-hop r&b. 3 things rule in the US right now: top 40/urban, adult contemporary, or country, that's what the overwhelming majority of the top 100 is made up of.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/27/06 at 12:27 am

I don't care what the style is.  Whether it's Snoop Dogg or Wayne Newton, crap for the masses is here to stay!
:P

Written By: Brian06 on 10/27/06 at 12:37 am

I don't care what the style is.  Whether it's Snoop Dogg or Wayne Newton, crap for the masses is here to stay!
:P

Thankfully I like crap music lol.  :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/27/06 at 7:35 pm

Can't spell "crap" without "rap"!

Written By: Brian06 on 10/27/06 at 9:22 pm

I should say I like *some* crap music, it ain't all crap lol.

Written By: AstronautXKid on 10/27/06 at 9:26 pm

2004 was the peak of the rap era or whatever you want to call it, it has been on a slight decline since. It will take until around 2008 or 09 to really notice some real change though. Though I prefer a lot of the hip-hop from 2004 over stuff like Grillz and Laffy Taffy. D4L is probably one of the worst groups/artists ever in hip-hop. Nelly has sucked for a while now. Dem Franchize Boyz also are pretty annoying.

++ Yes, Indie / Independent Rock is huge in my city now.

We had a free dress day at school recently. Not one person had a t-shirt of a Rapper, or anything radically related to Rap. Instead there were alot of alternative Rock / Indie shirts i.e The Strokes, The Sounds, Sonic Youth and TBS. I also bought my ACDC shirt, and there were a couple of people with ACDC shirts, a Guns and Roses shirt, about 5 Nirvana tee's and alot of bands from years ago have had their names on tee's. In fact, even the real "cool" people here have eased back on the Rap scene. Most are listening to Pop Rock i.e Panic! At The Disco now. Either way, a decline in Rap will bring better music hopefully. And it's already happening slowly here, but I don't expect a big change to be seen until perhaps 2008.

Also on a big forum for an online game, mainly used by teenagers. Most people are listening to alternative rock, Indie i.e Interpol, Dirty Pretty Things, progressive rock i.e Dream Theater and Muse, and music from the past - Nirvana, ACDC and the Ramones. Hopefully, we're going to see some decent changes.

Also Emo was perfectly fine before it was so commercially known. It was when you heard it on the radio and the tv, and in your magazine and at the city that it became too big for it's own shoes.

Which, to me, is a good thing. All Rap takes is an IQ of four, lost self respect, an "I-don't-give-a-damn" attitude and alot of spit.

Written By: Dominic L. on 10/27/06 at 9:52 pm

I don't think rap is declining, I just think Power pop/emo is inclining.

Written By: NullandVoid on 10/28/06 at 4:54 am

Listen...Rap itself is NOT DEAD. It's just that lowlifes, misguided inner city youth and Suburban kids trying to be "down" have made Mainstream or "Crap Rap" sickeningly popular. All the good rap is knocked off of the airwaves by  greedy radio stations or by the likes of Lil Jon, D4L, Young Joc and the fool who made "Chicken Noodle Soup".  Anything that makes money will be mercilessly shoved down our throats and the good (aka non-profitable) stuff gets pushed underground.

You come to New York and go to open mics and Undeground Clubs and you will think twice before even uttering that Rap is dying.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 10/28/06 at 6:20 am

Rap dying? Not here!

Just go down any street (with a stereo blaring) or into any nightclub and it's all rap. The main pop station here is about 90% rap, 9% girl-pop (can't think of a better name for it) and 1% "rock" (ie: emo or nu-metal)

Whilst rock & girl-pop (the likes of Christina Aguilera, The Veronica's, Britney Spears etc) is making a slight incline in pop charts, rap is still #1. Personally, I don't care. I stopped caring long ago. The masses of popular music will always be horrendous. Thank god for underground & alternative music.

Written By: Brian06 on 10/28/06 at 6:28 am

Listen...Rap itself is NOT DEAD. It's just that lowlifes, misguided inner city youth and Suburban kids trying to be "down" have made Mainstream or "Crap Rap" sickeningly popular. All the good rap is knocked off of the airwaves by  greedy radio stations or by the likes of Lil Jon, D4L, Young Joc and the fool who made "Chicken Noodle Soup".  Anything that makes money will be mercilessly shoved down our throats and the good (aka non-profitable) stuff gets pushed underground.

You come to New York and go to open mics and Undeground Clubs and you will think twice before even uttering that Rap is dying.

That Chicken Noodle Soup crap sucks so bad lol.  ;D

Written By: Brian06 on 10/28/06 at 6:43 am

There's been a few good rap releases this year, Ridin' by Chamilionaire, the lyrics actually have a political meaning (the song is about racial profiling and police brutality) and it's not stupid like that Chain Hang Low garbage. Ludacris's album is really good. Lupe Fiasco is also great lesser known rapper who's lyrics actually have meaning (like Kanye). T.I. is decent as well.

Written By: WolvesRayne on 10/29/06 at 12:23 pm

I don't know, Rap is the same as what some people call "black people music". "black people music" will basically never end, there's always going to be something that will be reserved as "black people music".

Check for new replies or respond here...