inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Sports predictions for 2006, anyone?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 02/17/06 at 7:32 pm

Here's mine...
Tony Stewart will win the Daytona 500
Rick Hendrick will wise up and fire Jimmie Johnson's crew chief Chad Knaus
Martin Truex Jr. will get the Raybestos Rookie of the Year award
The Phillies will have a decent season, and maybe even make the playoffs..
the Eagles will rebound from last season, and the T.O. debacle wiill be forgotten.
the New York Giants will lose Eli Manning for the season due to injury
The New York Jets' Vinny Testaverde will retire from football
Carl Edwards will win the Nextel Cup All-Star race and the $1,000,000 prize!
Dale Earnhardt Jr. will sweep both Talladega races...
Kyle Petty will announce his retirement from racing in 2007
JJ Yeley will get his first Nextel Cup win...at the Sharpie 500 at Bristol!
Kobe Bryant will end up being traded from the LA Lakers
and Dale Earnhardt Jr. will get his first Nextel Cup championship...

more to come as I think of more possibilities...

Subject: Re: Sports predictions for 2006, anyone?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/18/06 at 12:48 pm

As much as I hate to say it the Colts will finally win the super bowl :\'(

Written By: gmann on 02/18/06 at 1:55 pm

The Cleveland Indians will *finally* win the World Series. I was hoping it would happen before the Red Sox and White Sox would have a chance to get their collective monkeys off their backs, but alas...

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 02/18/06 at 3:46 pm

Danica Patrick will win the Indianapolis 500.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/19/06 at 10:21 am

Gonzaga shocks the world and wins the ncaa tournament next month.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/19/06 at 10:32 am

The Mets will win the World Series!  ;D ;D ;D

Ok, ok, I'm just hoping.

Cat

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 02/19/06 at 7:51 pm

Here's mine...
Rick Hendrick will wise up and fire Jimmie Johnson's crew chief Chad Knaus
Martin Truex Jr. will get the Raybestos Rookie of the Year award
The Phillies will have a decent season, and maybe even make the playoffs..
the Eagles will rebound from last season, and the T.O. debacle wiill be forgotten.
the New York Giants will lose Eli Manning for the season due to injury
The New York Jets' Vinny Testaverde will retire from football
Carl Edwards will win the Nextel Cup All-Star race and the $1,000,000 prize!
Dale Earnhardt Jr. will sweep both Talladega races...
Kyle Petty will announce his retirement from racing in 2007
JJ Yeley will get his first Nextel Cup win...at the Sharpie 500 at Bristol!
Kobe Bryant will end up being traded from the LA Lakers
and Dale Earnhardt Jr. will get his first Nextel Cup championship...

more to come as I think of more possibilities...
Stewart did not win at Daytona..bummer! What makes it even more bittersweet for me..Jimmie Johnson won the 500..I have no love lost for any Hendrick Motorsports drivers, but hey, JJ won.

Written By: nally on 02/20/06 at 3:15 pm

I'm hoping that the Braves and Yankees will NOT wind up in the playoffs again. >:( (One things for sure, though: they will play e.o. during the regular season this year.)

The Dodgers will lose 100 games. J/K! :D They will hopefully have a decent season, with people like Nomar Garciaparra, Rafael Furcal, and Kenny Lofton. And a healthy Eric Gagne.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/20/06 at 3:35 pm

Toronto Maple Leafs won't win the Stanley Cup again.  ::)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 02/20/06 at 5:47 pm

Jeff Gordon will have a falling-out with teammate Jimmie Johnson...coz Jimmie is again acting like a spoiled brat so far!
And Kevin Harvick will make the Chase for the Nextel Cup...doing so by edging out Matt Kenseth in points!

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 02/21/06 at 1:27 am

The Oakland A's will go to the World Series against the Chicago Cubs - lol.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 02/21/06 at 1:28 am

The Mets will win the World Series!   ;D ;D ;D

Ok, ok, I'm just hoping.

Cat

I'd go for the Mets anyday over the Yankees.

Written By: nally on 02/21/06 at 9:41 am

I'd go for the Mets anyday over the Yankees.

I would too. Any team that plays the Yankees gets my cheer. Except if it's the Braves; then I could care less. In 2000, when the World Series was a Subway Series, I cheered for the Mets, but they only won one game. :-\\

The Oakland A's will go to the World Series against the Chicago Cubs - lol.

It's been sixty long years since the Cubbies last appeared in a WS; 61 if you count this year. I would like to see them in a WS someday. :-\\

Written By: nally on 02/21/06 at 12:37 pm

Darnit, you took mine....but I was going to go a step further....the Cubs will WIN ;)

I'd like to see a Cubs/Sox WS :o

I'd like to see the Cubs at least in the WS. And WIN it, regardless of who's representing the American League (please don't let it be the Wankees).

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 02/21/06 at 1:09 pm

I would too. Any team that plays the Yankees gets my cheer. Except if it's the Braves; then I could care less. In 2000, when the World Series was a Subway Series, I cheered for the Mets, but they only won one game. :-\\
It's been sixty long years since the Cubbies last appeared in a WS; 61 if you count this year. I would like to see them in a WS someday. :-\\

Yeah, I'd like to see the Cubs against the A's. It would be a nice battle, as both clubs have really had great potential the last ten years or so. I know it's been a long, long time since the Cubs have been there, but the A's have been awhile, too - so it would be nice to see them battle it out. I find them both two underdog kind of teams who deserve the title either way it goes.

Written By: nally on 02/21/06 at 3:59 pm

Yeah, I'd like to see the Cubs against the A's. It would be a nice battle, as both clubs have really had great potential the last ten years or so. I know it's been a long, long time since the Cubs have been there, but the A's have been awhile, too - so it would be nice to see them battle it out. I find them both two underdog kind of teams who deserve the title either way it goes.

Do you like the A's?

Yeah, they haven't been to a World Series since getting swept by the Cincinnati Reds in 1990. The year before that, they swept the Giants in an earthquake series. (That was their last championship - 1989.) And the year before that, they lost in 5 games to my team, the Los Angeles Dodgers...who haven't appeared in a World Series since then (1988)! :o

Written By: ... on 02/21/06 at 5:04 pm

I'd like to see the Cubs at least in the WS. And WIN it, regardless of who's representing the American League (please don't let it be the Wankees).

Me too, I hope the Yankheads don't get to the World Series again for a LONG time.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 02/21/06 at 5:10 pm

Do you like the A's?

Yeah, they haven't been to a World Series since getting swept by the Cincinnati Reds in 1990. The year before that, they swept the Giants in an earthquake series. (That was their last championship - 1989.) And the year before that, they lost in 5 games to my team, the Los Angeles Dodgers...who haven't appeared in a World Series since then (1988)! :o

I've been an A's fan since about 1988, lol. I went along with my brothers tastes, but they've always appealed to me a great team to watch. Went to my first A's game in 1990 and have been to about a dozen more since then. I have been to one Giants game, but it wasn't all that exciting for me. I sort of find the National League teams a bit boring to watch, but I still favor some over others - if I had to really choose one.

That Dodgers Vs. A's World Series has gone down in history, I believe, for some kind of remarkable play, but I can't remember what it was, lol.

Written By: nally on 02/21/06 at 5:15 pm

I've been an A's fan since about 1988, lol. I went along with my brothers tastes, but they've always appealed to me a great team to watch. Went to my first A's game in 1990 and have been to about a dozen more since then. I have been to one Giants game, but it wasn't all that exciting for me. I sort of find the National League teams a bit boring to watch, but I still favor some over others - if I had to really choose one.

That Dodgers Vs. A's World Series has gone down in history, I believe, for some kind of remarkable play, but I can't remember what it was, lol.

I believe it was...Kirk Gibson's two-out, two-run, pinch-hit, game-winning homer in Game One, with the Dodgers down 4-3 in the 9th.

Written By: Indy Gent on 02/22/06 at 12:14 pm

Well that's at least one prediction that won't come true.

Here's mine...

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 02/24/06 at 10:33 am

Well that's at least one prediction that won't come true.
I know. Jimmie Johnson won...his first win for that race. And he did it without Cheatin' Chad Knaus as crew chief....

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 02/24/06 at 10:35 am

Kurt Busch will finally smarten up and stay out of trouble with NASCAR and the law!

Written By: nally on 02/26/06 at 10:41 pm

Hmmm...baseball's spring training (pre-season) starts next weekend, I believe. Will the Braves win yet another NL East title in seven months? I sure hope not :-X

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 02/28/06 at 8:49 pm

People will wake up and realize Jeff Gordon's not gay...he has a steady girlfriend who is at all the races.

Check for new replies or respond here...