inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Random Late 00s-10s Events Predictions

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/17/06 at 8:57 pm

2007-Rap's last decent year, a number of artists have their last big hits. Labor movement which began in 06 gets really huge, including factory workers concerned about losing jobs and low-level service workers. Anti-corporate backlash starts.

2007-Recession gets really bad. Race riots in inner cities start again.

2007 to 2009-Wal-Mart is ruled against in courts across USA and other countries for various infractions. Massive bad press causes store closings en masse outside core rural and depressed urban areas, this includes major urban parts of the Northeast, West, and Midwest (Chicago, Minneapolis, etc.) Small local businesses experience major revival.

2008-Music industry decides to place serious limits on downloading music-you must now download whole albums on alot of sites, they crack down on Limewire and such, and iTunes becomes as expensive as actually buying a CD.

2009-Hipster/emo, etc. backlash. Beginning of active anti-materialist, grungy, pro-political movement.

2009-New president starts campaign against outsour

2009-Whitney Houston dies of a drug overdose. Massive funeral in Essex County for one of our big heroes, or what was...seriously, every tenth middle-class and up African-American person and alot of other people around Newark and Montclair are related to her at least by marriage, including one of my good friends.

2010-Anti-corporate backlash gets really huge. New president passes bills preserving American jobs and moving towards universal healthcare.

2011-Britney Spears has fourth child, becomes massively fat and sheltered from public eye.

2011-Revival of old-school rap culture, such as graffitti and breakdancing.

c. 2013-Michael Jackson commits suicide.

Early-Mid 2010s-Little Richard and Chuck Berry die. Revival of interest in 1950s-era rock.

Early-Mid 2010s-Gay nightclubs in South bombed following gay rights legislation.

Subject: Re: Random Late 00s-10s Events Predictions

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/18/06 at 6:04 am

2007-Simpsons cancelled out of respect.

2009-Desperate Housewives and the O.C. cancelled.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/18/06 at 8:06 am

2007-Macy's forced to revert to Marshall Field's and Filene's nameplates due to local animosity.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/18/06 at 12:12 pm

-Glam rap has a huge year but sometime in mid-summer an incredibly stupid single(even dumber than usual) is relesed and causes fans to loose some faith in the genre.
-Toward the end of the year(say October) the stock market has a huge single day crash(the '06 equivelent to black Monday in '87) and causes huge losses also signaling the begining of a recession.
-An new variation of the seattle sound begins to rise up in the underground
-In November due to discontent with the Bush administration and the republican party the dems have huge gains in the mid-term elections.

-Some of glam rap's heavy hitters(50 Cent, Kanye West etc.) come out with major records but sales are less than projected.
-The record industry has its biggest year of losses yet due to the internet download craze.
-A major scandal within the Bush administration is uncovered. Bush's approval ratings drop into the 20's.
-The economy continues to dip and the dow has another 100+ point single day drop.

-Underground grunge artist slowly begin to get signed to record companies but no major records companies are ready to give up on glam rap yet.
-The emo craze begins to die down
-The dems win the election(not with Hiliary Clinton) because the republicans have no one decent to run(who are they gonna run Cheney? I dont think so ;D)
-By the end of the year some rap artists begin to get dropped from there record labels.

-The real estate market hits rock bottom just as the rest of the economy does the same.
-January 20,2009 new president is elected. During his first 100 days puts programs in motion to stimulate the economy.
-Major rap artists begin to get dropped off there labels by mid-year including 50 himself. Record companies begin to sign more underground grungers and by year end an underground grunge group with a depressed spotlight-resisting lead singer sign a major record deal.
-The emo/hipster craze totaly dies out and by year-end a backlash against it slowly begins.

-The economy begins to recover after 4 years of losses.
-The underground grunge group that signed a major label deal have a huge hit single that propels there record to unbeliveble new heights and offically begins a second grunge movement.
-Under the guidence of the new president troops are finally able to be pulled out of Iraq fully and by November the war ends.
-The backlash against those self-serving hipsters and the 2000's in general really begins to take off and emo artists get dropped from major labels.

-A second wave of major Grunge acts relese records due to last years sucsess and the second movement hits full force.
-The ipod's popularity hits rock bottom.
-50 Cent is forced to sell drugs to keep up his lavish life-style and gets shot for the 10th time while doing so.
-The last shards of rap and emo are removed from culture and all is right with the world :)

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/18/06 at 5:47 pm

Late 2006: Panics in Chicago and Boston, riots, as landmark Filene's and Marshall Field's become Macy's. Macy's reverts to Marshall Field's and Filene's nameplates after a year or two due to flagging sales.

Late 00s-Early 10s: Protests against big corporations, particularly in retail, reach peak, along with new labor movement focused on service industry workers and public servants being underpaid and having no rights. Big box stores become fairly unpopular in new developments and are even torn down and/or subdivided.

Written By: Zoso on 02/18/06 at 7:46 pm

2007-Rap's last decent year, a number of artists have their last big hits.

I agree, except I think it will be 2008 before rap is totally out.

2007- Race riots in inner cities start again.

I hope not.

2008-Music industry decides to place serious limits on downloading music-you must now download whole albums on alot of sites, they crack down on Limewire and such, and iTunes becomes as expensive as actually buying a CD.

I too think there will be more control over internet downloads, file sharing etc.
I think music stores will allow people to bring their MP3 players (Ipod's)/USB sticks etc. into the shop, go up to the cashier, request an album or single, the cashier hooks the MP3 Player or USB stick to a computer and transfers that album or single to the mp3 player or usb stick, and the cost is the same as a CD album or single usually costs.

2009-Whitney Houston dies of a drug overdose. Massive funeral in Essex County for one of our big heroes, or what was...seriously, every tenth middle-class and up African-American person and alot of other people around Newark and Montclair are related to her at least by marriage, including one of my good friends.

This would be sad, but I see it happening.

2011-Britney Spears has fourth child, becomes massively fat and sheltered from public eye.

I think it will happen earlier than this.

2011-Revival of old-school rap culture, such as graffitti and breakdancing.

I don't think this will happen. I think what will be revived is entertainment. I think there will be more entertainment shows on television, like in the 50's-70's. I'm talking about American Bandstand, Ed Sullivan type shows. We are moving into an era of entertainers. Lately it has been about four/five piece rock bands thrashing away at guitars and drums. This will change over the next ten years. Entertainers similliar to Jackie Wilson,  James Brown etc. will be popular. It'll be all about the lead performer, not the band behind him/her.   

c. 2013-Michael Jackson commits suicide.

He wont commit suicide because he loves life too much. He's a sunshine, lollipops kind of guy. He has his own zoo and ferris wheel.

Early-Mid 2010s-Little Richard and Chuck Berry die. Revival of interest in 1950s-era rock.

Agreed (not about Richard and Berry dying, but about the 50's era revival).

Early-Mid 2010s-Gay nightclubs in South bombed following gay rights legislation.

I hope not.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/18/06 at 11:26 pm

Yeah, I agree entertainers will become popular again, along with variety shows. I also think sitcoms will make a big revival. I think there'll be a new generation of rock-and-roll starting in the next decade with '50s revival influences, grunge/early alternative (a la Sonic Youth, the Pixies) influences, and classic rock influences from the '60s and '70s.

I agree with your opinion about more restrictions being placed on downloading music, but I also think they'd probably give you the complementary unrippable CD after downloading it to your MP3 player or USB stick or you'd take the CD up to the counter or some such thing. They'd then scan it and download it from the database (if you asked, which many/most people would be), and give you the CD back.

Written By: whistledog on 02/19/06 at 1:43 am

2007-Simpsons cancelled out of respect.

2009-Desperate Housewives and the O.C. cancelled.

Desperate Housewives is like the Dynasty of the 00s.  I don't think it will be cancelled until like 2015

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/19/06 at 6:49 am

Maybe...but I think it might be over earlier because of an anti-2000s backlash. Or it'll be sort of different.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/20/06 at 12:28 am

Bump. I think reality TV will start to go way, way out by '08 and '09, reality TV reached its peak in like 2002 and 2003, when it was literally all that was on TV.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/14/17 at 12:04 pm

-Glam rap has a huge year but sometime in mid-summer an incredibly stupid single(even dumber than usual) is relesed and causes fans to loose some faith in the genre.
-Toward the end of the year(say October) the stock market has a huge single day crash(the '06 equivelent to black Monday in '87) and causes huge losses also signaling the begining of a recession.
-An new variation of the seattle sound begins to rise up in the underground
-In November due to discontent with the Bush administration and the republican party the dems have huge gains in the mid-term elections.

-Some of glam rap's heavy hitters(50 Cent, Kanye West etc.) come out with major records but sales are less than projected.
-The record industry has its biggest year of losses yet due to the internet download craze.
-A major scandal within the Bush administration is uncovered. Bush's approval ratings drop into the 20's.
-The economy continues to dip and the dow has another 100+ point single day drop.

-Underground grunge artist slowly begin to get signed to record companies but no major records companies are ready to give up on glam rap yet.
-The emo craze begins to die down
-The dems win the election(not with Hiliary Clinton) because the republicans have no one decent to run(who are they gonna run Cheney? I dont think so ;D)
-By the end of the year some rap artists begin to get dropped from there record labels.

-The real estate market hits rock bottom just as the rest of the economy does the same.
-January 20,2009 new president is elected. During his first 100 days puts programs in motion to stimulate the economy.
-Major rap artists begin to get dropped off there labels by mid-year including 50 himself. Record companies begin to sign more underground grungers and by year end an underground grunge group with a depressed spotlight-resisting lead singer sign a major record deal.
-The emo/hipster craze totaly dies out and by year-end a backlash against it slowly begins.

-The economy begins to recover after 4 years of losses.
-The underground grunge group that signed a major label deal have a huge hit single that propels there record to unbeliveble new heights and offically begins a second grunge movement.
-Under the guidence of the new president troops are finally able to be pulled out of Iraq fully and by November the war ends.
-The backlash against those self-serving hipsters and the 2000's in general really begins to take off and emo artists get dropped from major labels.

-A second wave of major Grunge acts relese records due to last years sucsess and the second movement hits full force.
-The ipod's popularity hits rock bottom.
-50 Cent is forced to sell drugs to keep up his lavish life-style and gets shot for the 10th time while doing so.
-The last shards of rap and emo are removed from culture and all is right with the world :)

Some of these were pretty good, but some were way off.

I did correctly predict that the Republicans would lose Congress in 2006, that Bush's approval ratings would dip down into the 20's, that the economy would nosedive in 2007, that a Democrat other than Hillary Clinton would win the 2008 election and pass legislation to stimulate the economy in early 2009, and that the economy and the housing market would hit rock bottom in 2009. I also predicted the economic collapse, but predicted that would happen in 2006 instead of 2008, and I predicted that we would pull all the troops out of Iraq, but that happened in 2011 instead of 2010.

I was off on the return of Grunge as a major genre in the early '10s, and a few years off saying that Emo would begin to die out in 2008. Also, I have no idea why I predicted that the iPod's popularity would hit rock bottom in 2011, but I guess I was kind of right in a way thanks to the rise of the iPhone. You can tell I kinda hated 50 Cent around this time, too. ;D

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 05/14/17 at 12:57 pm

I did correctly predict that the Republicans would lose Congress in 2006, that Bush's approval ratings would dip down into the 20's, that the economy would nosedive in 2007, that a Democrat other than Hillary Clinton would win the 2008 election and pass legislation to stimulate the economy in early 2009, and that the economy and the housing market would hit rock bottom in 2009. I also predicted the economic collapse, but predicted that would happen in 2006 instead of 2008, and I predicted that we would pull all the troops out of Iraq, but that happened in 2011 instead of 2010.

I was off on the return of Grunge as a major genre in the early '10s, and a few years off saying that Emo would begin to die out in 2008. Also, I have no idea why I predicted that the iPod's popularity would hit rock bottom in 2011, but I guess I was kind of right in a way thanks to the rise of the iPhone. You can tell I kinda hated 50 Cent around this time, too. ;D

These predictions were scary accurate :o

Do you have a crystal ball?

Written By: exodus08 on 05/16/17 at 4:18 pm

What do you predict will happen in 2018/2019 & 20s?

Written By: Zelek3 on 05/16/17 at 4:31 pm

2007-Recession gets really bad

Spot on prediction.

Written By: Brian06 on 05/16/17 at 4:35 pm

Many of the deaths courtandspark predicted sadly turned out to be accurate (Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, Chuck Berry) the years slightly off but geez that's freaky.  :o

Written By: Howard on 05/16/17 at 4:59 pm

I feel Trump will overstay his welcome as president, he could be impeached.

Written By: exodus08 on 05/17/17 at 10:07 am

I feel Trump will overstay his welcome as president, he could be impeached.

Let's hope so.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/17/17 at 12:05 pm

These predictions were scary accurate :o

Do you have a crystal ball?

Given my track record of predictions on this site, I'm just as surprised as you are that I got so many right here. ;D

2017: Trump continues to face scandal for the rest of the year, but doesn't get impeached due to Republican partisanship.
2018: Trump popularity tanks into the high 20s as Republicans fail to pass any of their major legislation. Democrats take back the House and Senate.
2019: The economy goes back into recession for the first time since 2010.
2020: Trump loses re-election in a landslide to the surprise Democratic nominee, Joe Biden.

Written By: Howard on 05/17/17 at 12:39 pm

Let's hope so.

What else is he doing besides this Russian thing that's been happening in the news lately.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/17/17 at 3:48 pm

2017: Trump continues to face scandal for the rest of the year, but doesn't get impeached due to Republican partisanship.
2018: Trump popularity tanks into the high 20s as Republicans fail to pass any of their major legislation. Democrats take back the House and Senate.
2019: The economy goes back into recession for the first time since 2010.
2020: Trump loses re-election in a landslide to the surprise Democratic nominee, Joe Biden.

If Joe Biden, then that might be better than having Mike Pence as president if Trump gets impeached.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/17/17 at 4:18 pm

I predict a small recession in 2019, not like in 2008/2009, but like in 1990/1991.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/18/17 at 11:17 pm

Haha Biden and his memes will make a comeback.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/18/17 at 11:18 pm

I predict a small recession in 2019, not like in 2008/2009, but like in 1990/1991.

I predict we will finally be out of this horrible recession we are in now by 2019, but it still won't be as good economically as it was in 2013. Oil prices can only go back up at this point, I don't see it going under $50 again.

Check for new replies or respond here...