inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: '00s Hairdos

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/20/06 at 4:01 pm

What does everybody think are some popular '00s hairdos? I'll mention a few that I think warrant it.

-The Julian Casablancas Haircut: Long dark hair with a cascading, messy hipster mullet. Shorter variations of it are now fairly popular.
-Long, wavy, thick hair on girls with a slight curve to it and lots of layers and slight, sprawling curls.
-The Eminem haircut. No explanation is needed.
-For hipster girls: Short, boyish hair with a slight mullet and swept over the face with a dyed piece.

Subject: Re: '00s Hairdos

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/20/06 at 6:11 pm

What does everybody think are some popular '00s hairdos? I'll mention a few that I think warrant it.

-The Julian Casablancas Haircut: Long dark hair with a cascading, messy hipster mullet. Shorter variations of it are now fairly popular.
-Long, wavy, thick hair on girls with a slight curve to it and lots of layers and slight, sprawling curls.
-The Eminem haircut. No explanation is needed.
-For hipster girls: Short, boyish hair with a slight mullet and swept over the face with a dyed piece.

That's pretty much dead on I really have'nt paid enough attention to add much but I think in the very early 00's spiking your hair up was pretty popular(I even did it for a little while ;D)

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/21/06 at 12:43 am

I think basically messy, wavy hair with lots of body and highlights and shades of "lush brown and blonde" has been in for about five years now on girls. There hasn't been a really popular guys haircut, except maybe classic preppy with a little bit of body. Dyeing your hair red, purple or black is sort of passe, it went out with the goths, or any color except maybe pink or sea green. Spiking your hair is also sort of passe.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/21/06 at 1:35 am

Less straight hair, thank God.

Written By: Marian on 02/21/06 at 4:04 pm

I've seen bald pretty often,especially with young men who have receding hairlines.

Written By: Stompgal on 02/23/06 at 4:25 am

Bobs (these suit most people)
Highlights (one of my most poular hairdos this decade)
Coloured hair (popular in celebs like Gwen Stefani (pink hair), Kelly Osbourne (various colours throughout The Osbournes) and Lisa Scott-Lee's couloured streaks in blue, pink and red)
Mohawks (members of bands such as No Doubt and Green Day)

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/23/06 at 11:15 am

Nutsy highlights are pretty popular this decade, I'd say, sometimes to excess.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 02/23/06 at 7:34 pm

I see a lot of shaggy, longish hairstyles on teenagers nowadays. That's the only new thing I see. Everything else seems the same as the late 90's, except a little less hippie ultra straight, parted down the middle hair, on girls.

Oh, I forget another one: Girls who have their hair pulled back, and it looks slightly big on top.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/23/06 at 7:38 pm

Yeah, shaggy, curly multitonal hair is pretty common, the mullet has even made a slight return, surprisingly enough.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/23/06 at 11:30 pm

I see a lot of shaggy, longish hairstyles on teenagers nowadays. That's the only new thing I see. Everything else seems the same as the late 90's, except a little less hippie ultra straight, parted down the middle hair, on girls.

Oh, I forget another one: Girls who have their hair pulled back, and it looks slightly big on top.

Definitely.  The "1996" hippie hair is really out, I almost never see fashion-type girls wear that anymore.  But the '00s women hairstyles still are nowhere near "out there", with a few exceptions.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/23/06 at 11:43 pm

The most out-there thing I see is '80s-style big hair. It's not really back, but you see big hair with lots of curls and flourishes on it, not as hairsprayed or wacky as the '80s, pretty commonly. However, big hair never really died in NJ and it's currently experiencing another renaissance  ;). We're the "big hair" state, the trend started here and Bon Jovi originates from here.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/02/06 at 9:18 am

Update: I've noticed that alot of hipsters seem to do updated versions of '80s-style feathered and Cyndi Lauper/early Madonna hairdos, or big hair hairdos with all the twirls and kinks. I think they tend to copy this look alot in general: leggings, jean skirts, polyester jackets, etc.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/03/06 at 9:42 am

I wonder if not giving a damn about your hair is the in thing these days?

Written By: karen on 03/03/06 at 10:18 am

I've no idea if this style is popular anywhere else but I've seen it quite a lot locally for the past few years.

the front part is severely flat with a side parting.  this part is all gelled flat to the head.  The rest of the hair is messily spiky, sort of randomly back-combed into place  Very, very strange to look at..

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/03/06 at 2:25 pm

I wonder if not giving a damn about your hair is the in thing these days?

Even seen Emo hair?  It looks all shaggy and stuff.

I do think the "Rachel" haircut is no longer trendy; it seems like the hot thing for women to do in the zeroes is curl it.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/03/06 at 6:01 pm

Even seen Emo hair?  It looks all shaggy and stuff.

I do think the "Rachel" haircut is no longer trendy; it seems like the hot thing for women to do in the zeroes is curl it.

Yeah, curly hair with lots of highlights is hot. Also, as I said, a faux-'80s "indie rock" look, more "indie" than emo, is feathery '80s style hair with bangs and all sorts of other bells and whistles. You almost never see the "Rachel" haircut or the Mariah Carey spiral perm anymore.

Check for new replies or respond here...